NJPW w/ RevPro - Strong Style Evolved UK

Cards were announced for this yesterday. Will be available through both RevPro subscription service and then through NJPW World slightly later.

Can't recall much of the Milton Keynes card but the Manchester show has a few bits that I can remember.

WALTER vs Yujiro Takahashi
    Tomohiro Ishii vs Menoru Suzuki for the British title
    Zack Sabre Jr. Vs Kazuchika Okada
    Yuji Nagata vs Shota Umino
    Taichi vs Will Ospreay
    Jay White vs Chris Brookes
    A Chaos vs Suzuki Gun six man tag
    And....
    A fatal four way that has Tiger Mask in it....

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

These should be good:

Tomohiro Ishii vs Menoru Suzuki for the British title
    Zack Sabre Jr. Vs Kazuchika Okada
    Yuji Nagata vs Shota Umino
    Taichi vs Will Ospreay
    Jay White vs Chris Brookes

I normally skip the 6/8/10 man tags these days. They're just filler.

90+% of the time absolutely. Every now and again a champ eats a fall though and that feels significant, so I generally watch.

I guess it's a bit like how in the old days you might sit through the squash matches just on the off chance it was another Kid/Razor moment or similar.

The Brain
    I am fucking triggered that they have WALTER on the card and they gave him Yujiro. I mean, if anyone can drag him to a good match, but what a colossal waste.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    I've never watched any of these UK shows, but I will be watching Ishii and Suzuki beat each other silly. Their encounter at Dominion got me hyped up for that match.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    90+% of the time absolutely. Every now and again a champ eats a fall though and that feels significant, so I generally watch.

I guess it's a bit like how in the old days you might sit through the squash matches just on the off chance it was another Kid/Razor moment or similar.
    Meh, if that happens Kelly and Callis will talk about it; I don't need to see it to be surprised/intrigued about it.

I don't know who WALTER is, Mizzie, but he gets Yuji Nagata on Night 1. The main event of that one is Suzuki & ZSJ defending the tag straps against Okada & Ishii; so that one should be great.
    Last edited by XanMan; 06-13-2018 at 09:24 AM.

No, I'm sure you don't need to. It's just my explanation for why I do still tend to watch it.

I do wonder what the deal with Yujiro is, because I see a huge amount of solidness and decent fundamentals and yet it usually translates to.... nothingness, I guess might be the best description. I wonder how they'll play this, whether it'll be a very mat based thing using those fundamentals or if he'll just bump around for WALTER in something early in the night. Hard to say. But anyway Mizzie if that ain't your thing I think the night before he's up against Nagata which might have more appeal for you?
    Last edited by Prime Time; 06-13-2018 at 09:29 AM.

The Brain
    WALTER/Nagata is definitely more appealing, though I still feel like it's underselling the level that the guy is at, and that's coming from a guy who really likes old man Nagata. Xan, I think you'd be a fan of WALTER so if you get a chance to check him out, definitely do so. Hopefully this leads to some marquee appearances for WALTER at future shows, or maybe even some bookings in Japan. I really do think he'd fit in great over there if he wanted to.

We were talking on the old board about WALTER maybe not going into NJPW but maybe going into next year's champion carnival, so maybe this is more of a slow starter for him. Rather than put him in there with the bigger names straight away they take a look against a vet in Nagata, and a guy whose usually in the opening third (Yujiro), and see what he does there and how he plays in front of a... well, not a typical NJPW crowd, but a sympathetic one, say.

The Brain
    Looking over the card again, I guess the only actually significant guys they brought over are Okada, Ishii, and Suzuki, and they are all wrestling each other or Sabre, who is already New Japan established, so if that was something they had to do I guess they were kind of stuck. Still feels like a waste to me though, if I were in attendance I'd want to see fresh, never before seen match ups, but I can see others might prefer to see a simulated full on "New Japan" experience.

It was a good show, as it turned out.

I had no idea there were so many Yano fans in the North....

I saw a clip of Suzuki and Ishi just for earning the crap out of each other for like 3 minutes during the show. Their G1 match is sure going to be something.

This will end up on NJ World. They said so themselves. Just give it time.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    It was a good show, as it turned out.

I had no idea there were so many Yano fans in the North....
    Tell us more Pete!!

More you say.... SPOILERS FOLLOW:

Oka's excursion gimmick got a good initial reaction but it soon became a bit silly as people in the crowd started singing about his wearing 'Genie Pants'.

Yuji and Shota Umino had a nice match, very sporting feel to it. Big ovation for Shota at the end. Plenty of people buying shirts from Nagata afterwards and he looked like he was having a great time.

Suzuki Gun beat Chaos in the six-man tag. Very chaotic affair, a lot of cheers for Gedo in the arena, but Toru Yano was definitely the fan favourite. I didn't get the sense people were really hating on Suzuki Gun so much as they loved a couple of the Chaos guys. Yano's act comes across so much better in person than it does on TV, he's actually hilarious.

As predicted, the WALTER and Yujiro match was mostly Yujiro bumping around like a mad man to make WALTER look good. And he did a pretty good job of it, because he's pretty much tailor-made for that kind of role. He did come out with a couple of British models as 'Bullet Bunnies' who had... let's say, 'fuller figures', than the Japanese women who usually fill the role. Not a problem for me that, since I subscribe to the Dusty Rhodes philosophy that 'they're all tens', which is a much nicer way of putting it than the way people usually describe my libido. Anyway, that's a tangent. It was interesting that a woman behind me said something along the lines of 'bunny girls in 2018, and they wonder why only 1 in 15 people here is a woman', and you have to say she has a good point. Look at old crowds and they are filled with women and it hasn't been that way for at least two decades now. This crowd was a bit more diverse than I've seen at WWE shows though.

Oh wait, the match? Yeah, it was fine. Limited to putting WALTER over, as I say.

Taichi worked smarter than anyone. He actually had the so-called 'smart' fans shouting at him at one point, including someone saying 'STOP BEING A PUSSY!'. But I think he got hit about once in the first ten minutes of the match. I was loving it and the only thing I regretted was that it wasn't in front of an old crowd that would have been red-hot at him, so when Ospreay did finally do his dive it would have meant even more. But the crowd were definitely into this one, major heat at a Kanemura run-in and when Taichi nets the surprise win. I liked it.

Chris Brookes didn't make it, so his stand-in was Kyle Fletcher of Aussie Open. Jay White literally beat the piss out of him with some ridiculously hard strikes. Fletcher gave a bit coming back the other way too. I genuinely have the feeling that White isn't appreciated as much as he should be for some reason and seeing him live has refreshed that impression. Perhaps he's a bit too 'old-school' and doesn't have the sizzle to back up his obvious steak? Who knows for sure. Anyway, White wins.

Four-way's are not exactly my thing, but Tiger Mask was in it so I was interested at least. And it was a reminder of something I forget, that a lot of ridiculous spots which on TV just leave you saying 'yeah, OK, that's impressive' can full-on take your breath away in person. El Phantasmo was flying around like a crazy fool and pulled off the biggest spots of the night. Ishimori looks unreal, like he's been chiselled out of stone - and had to go from hawking his TV shirts nice-guy to evil heel which is quite a transition to make. Starr got the cheap win and celebrated like he'd won the world title. Not my favourite match but seeing Tiger Mask was very cool. Nice applause for the babyface at the end.

Okada and Zack Sabre was probably the match of the night, unsurprisingly. I don't think it was as good as some of Sabre's matches in the New Japan Cup, say, and it seemed to have as much of a 'look how clever my holds are' vibe as a genuinely believable feel. That said, it was still pretty cool, and Okada's excesses were definitely reigned in. Audience split on this one. Sabre clearly has his fans on our scene but the reaction for Okada was huge and near-universal, and there were some chants against Sabre once the match started. Still, a big pop for the surprise win for the local boy made good.

The crowd welcomed the main event positively but quickly quietened down as it seemed they were a bit burned out by the previous match. Suzuki and Ishii's solution to that was to beat the fucking tar out of each other. It was a fairly brutal affair and from the cheap seats you'd have been hard pushed to tell that some of the blows weren't a shoot, if it weren't for the fact that they kept on going. Suzuki actually throws a forearm at one point and Ishii crumples and if they started ending matches with that and a referee stoppage I think it could be the most over move in wrestling - kind of like an actually legal version of Big Show's Power of the Punch. And it looks good enough to get over. But yeah, that brought the crowd back into it and there was another big reaction at the title switch.

Great night for Suzuki Gun as they swept the board in their battles with Chaos, four for four. There was something after the final bell with WALTER attacking Ishii I believe, but to be honest I was already in the car park by that point.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 07-03-2018 at 05:04 AM.

The Brain
    Awesome review!! Can't believe you left before a WALTER/Ishii confrontation though, that sounds like arguably the most appealing thing on the card, and I can't WAIT to check that match out! Sounds like it's going down in August and it's going to RULE.