Sequels that Are Better Than the Original

The title is self explanatory, but one major caveat: NO REBOOTS ARE ALLOWED.

I'll start with a list (no particular order), but please add to it, or discuss why I'm wrong.

Godfather 2
    Terminator 2
    Aliens
    X-Men 2
    Star Trek 2, 3, 4
    Empire Strikes Back
    Clerks 2 - maybe, it's really close
    Infinity War
    The Dark Knight
    Two Towers and Return of the King
    Captain America The Winter Soldier and Civil War
    Thor Ragnarook
    Blade 2
    The Color of Money
    Spider-Man 2
    Mad Max: The Road Warrior
    Evil Dead 2
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and War for the Planet of the Apes
    Fast and the Furious 4, 5, 6, 7

And my opinion is that Hellboy is better then the Golden Army, but I know many of you feel the reverse is true.
    Last edited by Powder; 1 Week Ago at 08:38 PM.

Agree with most of that. Preferred the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers which I thought was weak.

Toy Story 3,
    Meet the Fockers,
    Most of (if not all) the Rocky films,
    Spiderman 3 (2007 one)
    Bad Boys II
    Dawn of the Dead

There are some things there I just don't care about one way or another, I like the first two Terminator movies about as much as each other, and I've always felt that Alien and Aliens are such different movies that comparing them is a bit of a waste of time because you're really making more of a statement as to what kind of movie you like, rather than any real comment about the quality of either of them.

With those asterisks, I'd be broadly in agreement with the list. I know that a lot of people still prefer the first Godfather movie, most people that I know in fact still prefer the original, but I love the epic sweep of the second one.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    Agree with most of that. Preferred the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers which I thought was weak.

Toy Story 3,
    Meet the Fockers,
    Most of (if not all) the Rocky films,
    Spiderman 3 (2007 one)
    Bad Boys II
    Dawn of the Dead
    Do not get me wrong, I love Toy Story 3 as much as the next guy, but the original is still better. 3 was a great movie, but played more off the nostalgia rather than the innovation of the original.

Spiderman 3? Really? It had the emo-Spider-Man walk and dance scene! That alone disqualifies it!!!

And I know that there is a Rocky Thread, But Rocky is a brilliant movie that WON the Oscar for Best Picture in 1977! You really can't top that. And as much as I love the franchise, including Creed, and forgetting that 5 exists, not one of the movies were better than the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    There are some things there I just don't care about one way or another, I like the first two Terminator movies about as much as each other, and I've always felt that Alien and Aliens are such different movies that comparing them is a bit of a waste of time because you're really making more of a statement as to what kind of movie you like, rather than any real comment about the quality of either of them.
    Good point with Alien/Aliens. One is a lone monster horror/suspense, and the other is an action movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    With those asterisks, I'd be broadly in agreement with the list. I know that a lot of people still prefer the first Godfather movie, most people that I know in fact still prefer the original, but I love the epic sweep of the second one.
    In regards to the Godfather movies, they are not really 2 movies. They are one big long movie. What Coppola did, was take the book and split it in half and made 2 movies out of it. So GF2, yes, is a sequel, but more of a continuation of the book.

Also, GF2 is the first sequel to win the Oscar for Best Picture, and the second was Return of the King.
    Last edited by Powder; 1 Week Ago at 08:06 AM.

The Brain
    Definitely a good list, with a few disagreements.

I go Alien over Aliens, but I agree with Pete it's really hard to even compare them.

I might go for Clerks 2 over the original, except for the whole bit with the donkey. I still liked Clerks 2 but that whole bit felt so tacked on just for a bit of gross out humor.

Count me with Nony on liking Fellowship. I'd honestly say it's my favorite of the three, certainly better than Two Towers.

I didn't know people liked Blade 2 that much. I'd definitely go for the original first.

Godfather is a bit of a wash but I do go for the original first, as I appreciate the more concentrated story. Both are classics of course.

I also liked Ocean's 13 more than 11. Don't think that's the majority opinion but it's my feeling for sure!

Some agreements and disagreements.

Fellowship over Two Towers being the main one.
    Toy Story original is by far the best of the three.

By and large the rest I agree with (or simply haven't seen yet).

Additions to the list for me...

Batman Returns
    Harry Potter 3, 4, 5 and perhaps 7 (both parts). 1, 2 and 6 are the weakest of the series.
    And my controversial one... Anchorman 2.

Blade 2 was far superior as a whole.

And bite your damn tongue that Batman Returns was better than Batman. Keaton rocked as Batman, even more than anyone gave him credit for, and Nicholson was an amazing Joker. Returns was good, but not nearly as good as the original.

The rest are matters of opinions, but those are facts.

I prefer watching Batman Returns than Batman, however I would preface that by saying that I thought otherwise until The Dark Knight came out. That is my favourite film ever, I watch it at least 4 or 5 times each year, and in a way it devalued the original Batman film for me, for the simple reason being Heath Ledger. It's the best incarnation of live-action Joker and in retrospect I feel Nicholson's take on the character is a little too campy at times. A harder comparison is Mark Hamill vs Heath Ledger, but I'll save that for another day.

It may also be a generation thing (I was born in 1990), so I viewed it years later. I think Batman is a great movie, but I now prefer Batman Returns over it. A brilliant take on Catwoman and Penguin, a darker mood and a great plot.

The Brain
    I don't know about facts, but I do prefer the original Batman to Returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    I prefer watching Batman Returns than Batman, however I would preface that by saying that I thought otherwise until The Dark Knight came out. That is my favourite film ever, I watch it at least 4 or 5 times each year, and in a way it devalued the original Batman film for me, for the simple reason being Heath Ledger. It's the best incarnation of live-action Joker and in retrospect I feel Nicholson's take on the character is a little too campy at times. A harder comparison is Mark Hamill vs Heath Ledger, but I'll save that for another day.

It may also be a generation thing (I was born in 1990), so I viewed it years later. I think Batman is a great movie, but I now prefer Batman Returns over it. A brilliant take on Catwoman and Penguin, a darker mood and a great plot.
    If you want to see the best incantation of Joker on screen. Watch all the Jerome stuff on Gotham. Better than Ledger b/c he was more consistent with the Joker in the books.

I have been. Falls short of Ledger and Hamill, but it's definitely a good take.

Harry Potter 3, 4, 5 and perhaps 7 (both parts). 1, 2 and 6 are the weakest of the series.
    This is a good point. I'd probably say they're all better than the first one. The acting of the kids is both horrific and hilarious in it.

Anchorman 2 was an abomination.

With regards to Rocky, I don't ever understand the love for Rocky 1 and think it improved as it went on.

Home Alone 2 - Lost in New York and the crazy pigeon lady is preferable to the original for me.

Yeah Home Alone 2 was better. First one is possibly more iconic, but the sequel was better overall.

Sometimes I do not think we watch the same movies.

Home Alone 2 was bigger, and had a more extensive plot and characters, but at the end, it was just the original all over again, but this time set in NY. The same gag with the VCR, the same gag of defending his house, and the same gag of getting separated from his parents. I really liked the movie, but the original was better.

AND how can you not love Rocky? The movie stands up well with time, being 42 years old. The story is about a run down fighter who gets a shot at the title, doesn't think he is worthy of it, but ends up agreeing. All he wants is to go the distance, and the champ doesn't take him seriously, and Rocky shocks the world, but loses the fight, as he should have, as back in the 1970s you bascially had to knock out the champ or completely dominate him to win by judges. Rocky fought bravely, and with heart but lost 14 of the 15 rounds. Even in Round 1, where he knocked down Creed, he lost that round, or tied it at best due to the loss of point, and Round 14, even with Rocky breaking Creed's ribs, still lost that round by getting knocked down again. The movie is awesome. II is a great sequel, and so is III. I love IV, but neither of those are better than I.

I'm not always a believer that the first one of anything is better just because it happened first. Even if the sequels re-do certain things that took place in the first one. I think Home Alone 2 did some of the same things than Home Alone, but better, funnier and with a slightly different twist. Case in point, my Christmas TV schedule always includes Home Alone 2, but never Home Alone.

I completely agree that just b/c it is first makes it best, as that is the entire point of this thread, but in my opinion Home Alone is better than 2. You feel the reverse, which is perfectly acceptable as we are talking opinions.

However, there are some sequels that completely are worse than the originals, or at least not nearly as good.