Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batista

Batista

Apparently Batista is rumoured to be coming back or wants to come back or something along those lines (someone on my Twitter feed posted it so take that with a grain of salt).

I absolutely hate the idea of yet another guy who was at their peak 10 years ago coming back but the poll I voted in said that more people would like to see it than not and me and Steve got stuck into it a bit so apparently I'm in the minority.

Anyway, what do you think of Batista coming back? Good idea, bad idea, no opinion?

@Sir_Samuel

It doesn't so anything for me. It's not the kind of move that's going to get me paying more attention to the WWE.

But truthfully, I was over Batista by 2006 so I'm not the target audience.

One thing I will say is that I don't much care about his being a guy from the past coming back. That's not a factor in it for me. I tend to think the argument about part timers is usually expressed backwards.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Not for it, although I will say Batita's last run, he did what part timers should be doing- i.e. giving younger talent a leg up

Why does he want to? Because he never got the last title run in 2014 when he was supposed to because Bryan was white hot?

Bats should headline next year's HOF class, then maybe have a tag match at Mania for one last hurrah.

Reportedly he turned down a HOF spot this yr b/c he didn't see himself as being done yet.

Twitter: @libsuperstar

He's 49 and still acting heavily Another 'run' is not happening. They don't treat him like Goldberg and I don't think another run like he had before does him no favors. Wants to do one more match.. sure but lets leave it there.

The Brain
    I'm not that into the idea but I think in the right context it could work well. Like BFB said, if he comes back to put others over again I can see some value in that, or if he's really got the will/ability to contribute on a consistent basis I'm not against it. Don't like the idea of him becoming a guy who comes in and works one big 'Mania match a year against another part time guy and doesn't really feel part of the product though.

He really wants to do something with Titus, but Vince will never waste Batista on Titus.

They're good friends, Titus and Dave, but he has stated for a while now that he wants his retirement match to be against Trips.

Funny since Trips is same dude I think who didn't believe Guardians would be a hit.

The Brain
    I assume if you're friends with HHH, you get used to letting stuff like that go.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I assume if you're friends with HHH, you get used to letting stuff like that go.
    This. Flair and HHH are best friends, and yet in the late 90's, HHH used his backstage pull to derail Flair coming into WWF for a program with Austin.

Edit: I think Batista has made a mistake all these years vocally letting it be known that he wants to return and have a run in the WWE, and how upset he is that they aren't reaching out to him. It has been well-known that Vince has a psychological pattern of pursuing ex-WWF guys that he has had a personal falling out with, that are playing 'hard to get', because he views it as a power-play that he made them submit, come back, and as a challenge. The worst they talked about him, the more they talked about never wanting to return to WWE, the better! So your Hogans, Brunos, Brets, various other WCW guys, all good.

Meanwhile, he has had no interest in people who left the WWE on amicable terms and were respectful towards him, such as Heenan.

Bobby Heenan was extremely bitter for years that WWE showed no interest in bringing him back after 2000, even though he had never badmouthed Vince once, or been disrespectful towards him, left congenially, and had personally defied Bischoff on multiple occasions when Eric wanted Heenan to disparage Vince or other WWF guys.

Batista needs to play hard to get.
    Last edited by Alan; 06-21-2018 at 11:46 AM.

The Brain
    I actually didn't know Heenan wanted to do more in the 00s, I figured since he was sick a lot of the time that took him out of the equation. Now doubly pissed that we didn't at least get a few more Heenan segments over the decade. >

You'd think considering Bats is in with Hunter it'd be doubly easy for him to get back in, especially with his movie career doing reasonably well to give him that mainstream boost. I can definitely see it being a psychological thing.

With Batista, there's also the other WWE psychological hang-up of 'He walked away from us, and managed to make a life and career out of WWE, so he's a traitor'. WWE was in talks with Batista to have him be Ronda's partner for Wrestlemania. Then they abruptly decided upon using Kurt instead, and simply ceased all communication with Batista, not even giving him the courtesy of letting him know they had decided on someone else. He found out about being replaced by Kurt by reading about it on the Internet, like everyone else.

Classic WWE maneuver.

The Brain
    Oh shit, I definitely would have rather seen Batista. Great call on WWE disliking anyone to succeed without them though.

Unless they're so famous, they would beg to work with them again..... aka The Rock. Although i guess WWE can claim they had a hand in Rocky's success. With Batista, he branched out by himself
    Last edited by LK3185; 06-21-2018 at 02:36 PM.

The Rock is also one of the biggest celebrities out there, and so far above WWE, so there is that.

Fun fact: When Rock's contract expired in 2004, WWE let him go without so much as a phone call, or thank you, or any gratitude, or even any semblance of 'let's work some sort of deal out'. Vince and Rock had a falling out that would not be resolved until a year later after WM 21. WWE.com even put up a fairly shoot interview with the Rock talking about it, in a pretty surreal moment for that era. I imagine not that many people visited their site news section in those days. I believe the interview is still up there.

But yeah, never underestimate WWE's pettiness and insecurities.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    With Batista, there's also the other WWE psychological hang-up of 'He walked away from us, and managed to make a life and career out of WWE, so he's a traitor'. WWE was in talks with Batista to have him be Ronda's partner for Wrestlemania. Then they abruptly decided upon using Kurt instead, and simply ceased all communication with Batista, not even giving him the courtesy of letting him know they had decided on someone else. He found out about being replaced by Kurt by reading about it on the Internet, like everyone else.

Classic WWE maneuver.
    Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    Unless they're so famous, they would beg to work with them again..... aka The Rock. Although i guess WWE can claim they had a hand in Rocky's success. With Batista, he branched out by himself
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    The Rock is also one of the biggest celebrities out there, and so far above WWE, so there is that.

Fun fact: When Rock's contract expired in 2004, WWE let him go without so much as a phone call, or thank you, or any gratitude, or even any semblance of 'let's work some sort of deal out'. Vince and Rock had a falling out that would not be resolved until a year later after WM 21. WWE.com even put up a fairly shoot interview with the Rock talking about it, in a pretty surreal moment for that era. I imagine not that many people visited their site news section in those days. I believe the interview is still up there.

But yeah, never underestimate WWE's pettiness and insecurities.
    And this behavior from the WWE continued with the treatment of Rusev and Lana.

What did they do to Rusev and Lana? Are you referring to that time they were upset at Lana for announcing that they were engaged/married? Or did something else happen?

No the punishment of Lana and Rusev for the engagement and marriage. I know I sarcastically already said this: But god forbid anyone getting engaged and married without the WWE's consent, and "going into business for themselves" in that respect. Lana and Rusev have gotten over at least twice on their own and it seems that finally the WWE is done punishing them.

From the Rusev thread back in May:

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    No way f$%k Rusev. First he was over as the WWE's dominant foreign heel. Then he lost cleanly to Cena and was rightfully placed in No Man's Land. Then when the WWE finally gave him a storyline to work with by splitting him up from his heat magnet, Lana, he had to go out on his own, without the company's permission, and go and get engaged and married. No one says you can't enjoy your personal life, but you should do it with express written permission, just like Cena and Nikki did. Then once he was punished again, he went out and got over again, by this stupid "Rusev Day" nonsense, without the WWE's permission.

Rusev should be kept on the roster and treated worse than Zack Ryder. He has been paid to do nothing, and cannot go on the indy scene to make money. Serves him right for going to the internet and getting himself over all on his own.
    Last edited by Powder; 06-21-2018 at 05:04 PM.

Batista has had, like, two good runs with WWE ever. The first one was as he was on his way out of the company the first time, and the second was when he went heel in his second run and ran with that.

I'd not welcome him back (especially not for something against Trips, please God no!) but wouldn't be against it necessarily if he's going to work with someone interesting and fresh.

I think that's a bit underselling Batistia's babyface run on Triple H to really kick off his main event run. He was really over and had some damn good matches.

Batista's heel run in 2009/2010 would have been alright, if he didn't do the job to Cena for 3 PPVs in a row. One of which, Cena won with a hornswoggle-esque tactic.

The Brain
    I was into Batista way back when he was in Evolution. It was incredible how fast he went from barely over as an afterthought to the group, to being legitimately popular enough to win the title in the space of just a few months.

When Bats won the Royal Rumble and all HHH did was try to convince him to go after JBL instead of him was great TV.

Then his Kissing Babies and Hugging Fat girls promo to Cena was also gold.

I was into Bats all way thru is Undertaker feud, then after that i cooled on him a bit..

The Brain
    Same, I drifted away towards the end of his big face run but then the heel turn was really good too.

It just got boring cause they would put him in every title match it seemed like and he wasn't as motivated. the heel run probably should have come a year earlier.

Ooh, I forgot Bats vs Taker. That stuff was good.

His face run never really clicked for me.

The Brain
    That's funny because I feel like the Taker/Batista stuff was, like, 25% of his whole face run anyway, between time missed and how long the feud went. So there must have been something good in there!

I enjoyed Batista tbh and his feud with King Booker was pretty good. I didn't really care for the program with Kahli.

Also, not sure why they felt the need to have him team with Mysterio against Big Show and Kane at Armageddon 2005. It could very easily have been Bobby Lashley and Mysterio vs. Kane and Big Show all the while Batista could have defended the belt against someone. Meh, I guess they didn't have anyone for Bats to defend against that night.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    That's funny because I feel like the Taker/Batista stuff was, like, 25% of his whole face run anyway, between time missed and how long the feud went. So there must have been something good in there!
    Sorry, I should have specified early face run

Maybe Batista was actually good? I seem to be discovering this as time goes on.

He wasnt awful. Its just unfortunte he started so late because by the time he really hit on something post face run, he wasn't gonna have a long long run. The more you do wrestling, the more you get better at it so who knows if started 10 years earlier.

Part of the reason i enjoyed his face run is because its obvious by booking he was the number one guy until like 2006 - 2007 and he wasnt John Cena, who even though i liked, didn't really have a good first run.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    He wasnt awful.
    I think we call that damning someone with faint praise!

The Brain
    I would definitely say Batista is actually good. He's got a wealth of strong matches and feuds and was consistently over at the top level in scenarios where he easily could have flopped.

Batista was the guy that got me into wrestling believe it or not. The first wrestling match I was ever engaged in was the Great Kahli v Batista on a random Smackdown, it was mid 2008 and Batista had to beat Kahli to keep his championship match against Edge who was in full La Familia mode. I wanted to see Batista rip Edge in half.

Big picture I relly like first run Batista from Evolution through to 2010, he had some moments where it was fairly obvious he was working hurt so noticably slowed down but when that wasn't happening he was just an epic juggernaut of a character, brimming with intensity who you would believe would run through a brick wall to get where he wanted. The Animal was such a great nickname for him in that regard.

I'll second the Batista v Taker stuff being awesome, I love that whole 2007/08 era of Smackdown where it was Taker, Batista and Edge as the main event, two forces of nature and one canny operator.

@Sir_Samuel

The Brain
    That's what I'm talking about! Definitely think he had appeal that tends to be discounted, as he came up in an era where it was especially cool to hate on musclebound guys. He really had something though, not the greatest ever but much more good than bad.

Batista was fine. Whenever I think about what he lacked compared to predecessors in the mould, I always end up concluding if he'd come through at the time those predecessors did he'd have been taught and presented that bit differently and would have had more than them.

I did find myself drifting out while he was on top but that had very little to do with him. In fact it accelerated when he swapped roles with Cena.

After his initial face run fizzled out, he floundered for a while, but near the end of 2009, he hit his stride and became a terrific heel. I've been a fan of his since then, and even his 'failed' (in the sense that he tanked in the face role that WWE had envisioned for him) 2014 run followed by the heel run with Bryan was great.
    Last edited by Alan; 06-29-2018 at 04:53 AM.

Just giving this a bump because of the appearance on Smackdown 1000. Anything in the exchange with Hunter or just a one-off?