Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Batista

Just a one off.

Friends taking jabs at each other. Like HHH does with Shawn.

I mean it might be a one off but it could lead to a mania match if Big Dave was free. He didn't have to show up for SD 1000

True but, reuniting Evolution, being in Bat's hometown, and he was a major part of Smackdown are all legit reasons for him to go to 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    True but, reuniting Evolution, being in Bat's hometown, and he was a major part of Smackdown are all legit reasons for him to go to 1000.
    Of course. I'm not saying there's something planned but would i be shocked if Batista wrestles at Mania? No. All it takes is one conversation that they probably had at the show to smooth things over.. Remember, Bats has always said he wanted to come back.

You better believe they'll want more star power with Roman now out for Mania too.

I've seen it referred to as something they were... Not planning, but considering since. Like it was in their mind as a way they might go.

Hunter's injury might have scuppered it though.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Id rather Batista wrestled at Mania than The Rock. To be honest, Id rather him to Brock right now.

So, looks like it wasn't a one-off.

I've seen mostly negative stuff on Twitter and the like and haven't heard much positive from the people I speak to you who aren't what you'd call 'net fans', but what about you guys. Any more positive people here?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Nope...The entire angle is just keeping the rest of the roster off TV and Mania spots for two 50 year old part timer and no timer.

That's bullshit, Powder and you would know if you bothered to look at the facts.

Fact 1: Batista isn't being brought back to work the main event. The Raw Women's match will. Its a secondary match between two legends (Batista has earned the right to have his last match whenever and against whoever he wants)

Fact 2: its been only a few weeks and only 1 seg a week. They have promoted every other raw match (besides the tag titles, which they never build well and weren't going to anyway.)

Fact 3: The ONLY wrestler that probably has a legit gripe to not getting a big match at Mania is Finn Blalor. He's really over but again, he's treated as high midcard and because of that, he's not going to get a big match at mania unless its against another part timer lol. Finn vs. Lashley for the 4th or 5th time in three months is not a selling point. Neither is Braun (who they cooled off alot)

Fact 4: Roman Reigns came back so he bumps anyone else down the card cause he needs a match. Dean is leaving. So again, the only one with a gripe is a guy who's been in the midcard forever.

I get not wanting part timers on Mania, but that's never going to happen so as long as their not in the main event, i have no issue with it.

Why exactly has Batista "earned the right to have his last match whenever and against whoever he wants"?

Let's look at his track record.

Quit the WWE initially in 2010 because he did not like the direction the WWE was going. Fine, that is his right.
    Continued to bad mouth the WWE due to being PG and criticized his former employer
    Comes back to the WWE in 2014 and gets heavilied booed b/c everyone sees that it is as transparent as anything to give him the title and almost completely derails the best story in WWE in Daniel Bryan.
    Flips off the fans because they do not universally love him upon his return
    Quits the WWE again
    Continues to not like the product that the WWE produces and continues to criticize them

Only pushed because he befriends HHH and Ric Flair and gets put into Evolution and has "the look"
    Comes back for Smackdown 1000 and gets a nice pop

Batista had a nice career, but is only getting to choose his spot because of his relationship with HHH. Batista has not "earned" anymore than anyone else. To me he is a former champ, but he is NOT an all time great, and he is NOT one of the Elite former champs. He is no where near the status of the Rock, Austin, Cena, Flair, etc. Angle has earned that right more than Batista has, and he is currently relegated to facing Barron Corbin in his retirement match, but Batista, Dave Fucking Batista gets to pick his spot, get weekly segments, and to face HHH in a premier feud? Please.

If Batista was on the roster since 2010 and slowly faded out like Big Show has, then no problem, but he Quit and left and has only been back for a 4 month run in 2014. His total career was 8 years. 2002-2010 with a few months more. Angle left, yes, but he was continually working in TNA while Bats was bitching about the the WWE is not the Attitude or Ruthless Aggression Era any more.

Batista is and was overrated, and his most memorable times in the WWE was his Thumbs Down to HHH, His Kissing Babies and Hugging Fat Girls Promo on Cena, his loss to Taker at Mania, and his failed return in 2014. What has he done as an active wrestler to transcend the business? He is only universally known now, because of him being lucky enough to be cast as Drax, not for his time as a wrestler.

Batista has earned nothing but he gets it because he was in Evolution and friends with HHH.
    Last edited by Powder; 03-22-2019 at 04:27 PM.

You clearly don't like Batista but that's fine, because it is irrelvant to the debate. Batista was top guy in 2005 and treated as such for the rest of his career. Bad mouthing WWE doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Wrestlemania isn't a B PPV in Corpus Christi. Its Wrestlemania, where the stars converge. Batista was/is a bigger star than at least 90% of the roster today... and since Finn Balor is the ONLY one that would probably benefit from a high profile, big time match at Mania, thus elevating him... I have no problem with Batista getting one last match. Your dislike for him doesn't discount the fact that WWE views him as a star, that might push tix for the biggest show of the year.

Do you think Rock or Austin come to WWE and say 'we want one more match at mania. book it' And WWE says no? Of course not, they don't because that's never brought up. Rock is too busy. Austin can't physically. Not comparing Batista to them but he is their biggest outside name for the show they could get. Since you know mania is that type of show all the bitching and moaning for midcarders on the show who will never be on Batista's level is pretty stupid imo.

Next year, say Rock is free and he wants to work Triple H or Roman Reigns, you'll be bitching about that too.
    Last edited by LK3185; 03-23-2019 at 05:21 PM.

You cannot compare the Rock or Austin to Batista, both of those guys transcended the WWE. So did John Cena. Batista may have been "the man" pf 2005, but he only transcended POST WWE. I have absolutely no distaste for Batista, and I actually like him. I am just frustrated that he calls up HHH and says he wants a match, and he gets it over guys who are on the road for 300 days for the company.

Batista did not earn anything. He was given it because of his friendships.

I DIDN'T COMPARE THEM. I said he's their biggest star they could get besides those two. And again, maybe the people that work 300 days a year (i believe is an exaggeration due to the brands) don't deserve to be on Mania? I mean, this is the biggest show of the year and you're complaining cause the Dolph Ziggler's of the world are going to be in the battle royal.

Like I said, the only one that would have a legit gripe this year is Balor and only because he's over enough to warrant a big match at Mania. I don't necessarily think Big Dave is stopping that from happening though since its been an issue with Balor for years now.
    Last edited by LK3185; 03-23-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Wrestlemania usually has a high profile match involving legends. It's been that way for a while, now. Anyone who had a gripe about this match should have been prepared for it. If it wasn't a legend's match, then the time would have likely gone towards some dumb music skit or something.

I really don’t know why people bother wasting their time by bitching and moaning. If you don’t like something, don’t watch it. If you don’t like something, don’t give it the time of day and energy. 95% of people seem to be creaming themselves over Becky. I for one can’t stand her character or the storyline and think she’s nothing short of a poor attempted rip off of Austin. But I don’t sit around complaining about it. I simply stop watching when she is on the screen. Just like I will at Mania. I have no intention or desire to watch the match. Just like I don’t with 50% of the matches that have been announced. Life is so much easier and the product is so much more enjoyable when you cut out the negativity.

As much as I may disagree with Powder about Batista, he has every right on the forum to voice his displeasure. Especially considering that this is Wrestlemania and we as fans should expect the very best from the product at this show. it can be fair critism without being so negative.

Never said he didn’t? Still doesn’t change the fact I find it pointless people waste their times complaining instead of just ignoring.

Then what is the point of any/all forums or message boards? We use these forums to discuss the world pf professional wrestling, amongst many other things, and we have been discussing Dave Batista on whether he should or should not be included into Wrestlemania, and in what capacity. That is exactly what this particular thread is about.

I have one perspective and LazyKing has another, and we have been debating sometimes on the same side and sometimes on opposite sides of issues for years. I take no offense to his post, and I believe that he does not take any offense to mine as well.

If you, Heisenberg, believe that we should ignore these types of discussions, then why may I ask are you on these forums? Why state your opinion on these matters, when your opinion is just to ignore?

Off my soapbox now, and back to topic.

This Batista feud could have been booked for a lesser PPV, like a Survivor Series or SummerSlam where buy rates are no near Wrestlemania's to boost their sales. Wrestlers on the roster get their WM Bonus for being on the show, and I think, not know, that a main card match gets a bigger bonus than preshow or Battle Royal, so by giving HHH and Bats a main card match, that takes away from other people getting that opportunity for a main card match and a bigger payday, just to appease two 50 year olds.
    Last edited by Powder; 03-25-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Batista's been great during this return. His look is incredible, his promos have been great, and compared to everyone else his acting is Meryl Streep levels. And he's another heel who's right - manipulating his way into one final match against someone that's never beaten him one on one so that he gets to go out on top.

I'm loving him right now, in the same way I did when he last left WWE and his final heel run before first leaving. He's so good.

To be fair his acting has been above everyone else is because ever since he left in 2010, he has been acting. I would bet that he had acting coaches help him, AND he had had numerous directors helping hone his craft. So he should be the Meryl Streep to everyone else. If he wasn't then that would say a lot more.

I'm hoping the match doesn't go longer than 12 minutes.. its a long show and I've defended Batista being on it but it will be painful if they try to get 20 plus minutes out of it. Just play the greatest hits and give H his win back. Wonder if they book it like Sting/HHH with Flair as interference.

Would love for Flair to turn on HHH lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Then what is the point of any/all forums or message boards? We use these forums to discuss the world pf professional wrestling, amongst many other things, and we have been discussing Dave Batista on whether he should or should not be included into Wrestlemania, and in what capacity. That is exactly what this particular thread is about.

I have one perspective and LazyKing has another, and we have been debating sometimes on the same side and sometimes on opposite sides of issues for years. I take no offense to his post, and I believe that he does not take any offense to mine as well.

If you, Heisenberg, believe that we should ignore these types of discussions, then why may I ask are you on these forums? Why state your opinion on these matters, when your opinion is just to ignore?

Off my soapbox now, and back to topic.

This Batista feud could have been booked for a lesser PPV, like a Survivor Series or SummerSlam where buy rates are no near Wrestlemania's to boost their sales. Wrestlers on the roster get their WM Bonus for being on the show, and I think, not know, that a main card match gets a bigger bonus than preshow or Battle Royal, so by giving HHH and Bats a main card match, that takes away from other people getting that opportunity for a main card match and a bigger payday, just to appease two 50 year olds.
    But YOU aren’t discussing. YOU are complaining. King was discussing. There is a difference between discussing and complaining, if you can’t see that, so be it. But yes, I see no point in complaining about things. I would rather not give those things my time and let it bother me. But if you want to discuss the topic, Batista has, and always will be, infinitely better than Cena. So good for him he’s come back and get’s the match he wants. It’s going to generate buzz even for those who aren’t interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Batista has, and always will be, infinitely better than Cena.
    Quoted for damn truth.

Also, I always preferred Batista vs Cena to Orton vs Cena.

While I agree that the bats vs Cena feuds were better than Orton vs Cena, many people prefer bats to Cena simple because he was allowed to be both a face and a heel, once he was a main event player. I would argue that if Cena was allowed to turn heel somewhere between 2005-2015 it would have made more people like him, and less of the "polarizing figure" he was.

Bats had character growth and distinctive personality, Cena was the same guy for well over a decade. Boring.

So apparently the Bats/HHH match now has HHHs career on the line. Something about Bats refusing to sign for the match unless HHH agreed to the stip. Even though Bats specifically came back for a match with HHH. But now he doesnt want the match all of a sudden unless HHH agrees. Because... reasons, I guess?

He wanted the match on his terms. its easy to say that he wanted to twist the knife further by taking HHH's career too.