Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    If Naito wins in the semi-final, Ibushi is left playing spoiler (Naito would be at 14 points, Ibushi can only get to 12). If Naito loses, the main event is winner takes all.

Right, which is why I'm guessing Naito is losing to Sabre to set up that Omega-Ibushi, winner take all scenario. We forget this now but Sabre has had a hell of a year in New Japan (he won the New Japan Cup and could, with a win over Naito, actually tie with Naito, Omega and Ibushi with 12 points himself, though he'd lose the tie breaker) and it all started with him upsetting Naito in the first round of the New Japan Cup. Him beating Naito again on Saturday can set Sabre up as a road block for Naito that he can't quite get by, and from there you can build a Wrestle Kingdom match out of it with Naito finally getting his revenge (and probably the US title out of it too, given Sabre is clearly targeting Juice for the title and could easily win it). I don't know; I just don't see how you can have Ibushi beat or even draw with Omega on Saturday and then have it not lead to Wrestle Kingdom. The whole story is too big to pay off at a minor event in the fall and it's not like Naito or Okada's momentum is gonna dip that much by having to wait another year to headline Wrestle Kingdom (and I do believe Naito-Okada is the plan for 2020, as it gives them the best chance to sell out on a weekend). That's the match. And as such Sabre will upset Naito, Ibushi will be Kenny and we get him vs. Okada or Tanahashi in the final with Ibushi winning.

I'm just hoping to get something like Omega/Isshi when I go to the Hiroshima Destruction show. Taking a detour in my trip to see my first NJPW show live, a match like that would be awesome.

Naito/Sabre is a program well benieth the status of Naito heading into the biggest show of the year.

While ZSJ is gaining traction, that is a huge step down for a guy as over as Naito.

The lines of thought I saw has something like:

Omega/Naito
    Okada/White
    Y2J/Ibushi
    Ishii/Juice

Naito/Ibushi's a lock to happen again this year. Even if either wins the whole thing, them getting to WK isn't a lock.

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

Quote Originally Posted by Macho Mourn View Post
    Naito/Sabre is a program well benieth the status of Naito heading into the biggest show of the year.

While ZSJ is gaining traction, that is a huge step down for a guy as over as Naito.
    Someone is getting a raw deal either way. Hell Ibushi himself this past year was in a lower card match (albeit with Cody) at Wrestle Kingdom. When you have a roster as loaded as this New Japan one is you're unfortunately going to get instances where guys are lower than they should. If Naito and Okada have to be lower on the card this year so Ibushi-Kenny can happen? So be it. Naito has proven this year, after everyone thought it was a bad idea for him to lose to Okada at Wrestle Kingdom, to be Teflon; he remains the most consistently over guy and I doubt another great match with Sabre is going to change that. And Okada can survive a year out of the main event, especially if he's wrestling Jericho (hell it's possible Naito will be wrestling Jericho again for all I know, which wouldn't be beneath Naito at all). They can have Wrestle Kingdom in 2020. This year it should be Ibushi and Omega, started with Ibushi beating Kenny this Saturday and Kenny finally getting that elusive victory over Ibushi and Wrestle Kingdom in January.

You would put Omega (contract up after WK) in a match in the main event with Ibushi (freelancer who burnt NJPW by leaving)?

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

I think what's also missing is thinking if Omega/Ibushi doesn't happen at WK this year that its blown off some other, lesser show. i could see this having legs going into 2019 all the way to WK 2020. That's of course thinking Omega re-signs... I actually think he will, to do a full program with Ibushi... Their relationship is such a place that i don't think a blow off at WK this coming year is realistic tbh.

Absolutely. Number one, if I were that concerned about either guy, I wouldn't a) have Omega holding the belt till Wrestle Kingdom to begin with (which he will be doing because, again, the three guys he looks to be defending the title against have no chance of dethroning him) and b) have Ibushi going as far as he is in the G1. Gedo isn't stupid; he clearly trusts both guys and must have reasons to trust both of them. I'd also argue the fact that it could be the last time further bolsters why this match should be at Wrestle Kingdom. Naito and Okada aren't going anywhere; they have numerous title reigns and headliners ahead of them for New Japan. You're not hurting them by giving them something else to do this year while putting on a match that may not be seen in Japan again.

But most importantly of all, there is no story New Japan has right now that's better than the tale of Omega and Ibushi. This is a year long, promotion crossing story about two loves, one of whom (Omega) who has never proven to be quite on the same level as the other (Ibushi) in one on one competition. It's pretty obvious that Ibushi is beating Omega Saturday (at worst, drawing) and that means they'll be facing each other again. Is New Japan really going to blow off this story at Destruction? King of Pro Wrestling? Power Struggle? Do you realize how much of a waste that would be? I cannot begin to possibly fathom how New Japan doesn't go that route unless they're just that intent on blowing through things that are going to be doable next year, and the year after that and the year after that. They've proven they know better and are smarter than that. So yeah; that's the match. Maybe it does blow up in their face and Omega bolts after but I'm no longer convinced Kenny to WWE is a sure thing and, even if it does happen, this is the right match to do. Naito's moment will come. Okada's next moment will come. But right now it's Kenny and Ibushi's moment and they should have it.

Yeah, I'm with Cult. In the absolute worst case where Kenny is WWE bound he isn't going to fuck over New Japan, the company that he owes so much to, on the way out.

If Ibushi decides on Jan 5 that he's on to the next, then it is what it is. But Kenny isn't going to screw them over, he'll stay and drop the title. Vince has always been about guys finishing out their commitments, and this would be no different. He'll take you if you're willing to tell the office that you're working for to fuck off, but he'll never fully trust you.

Kenny vs Ibushi is the way to go. If Kenny signs with WWE, he can drop it at New Beginning or even New Years Dash if he's in a big hurry. But why would he be? Unless WWE is offering him a marquee match at WrestleMania, why would he be in a hurry? He could very easily tell the company that he's happy to start March 1 and still finish his physicals and all that for a night after Mania debut. If WWE doesn't like that, New Japan will sign him to another deal.

Kenny is a good, honourable guy. NJPW has nothing to worry about on his end.

I also think Kenny knows what's going on. He's smart enough to know that he's getting a big offer and if he wants to go, its all up to him... so having said that, I don't think it will catch anyone off guard if he was leaving

And if he is, i think New Japan would know and make sure he drops the title which he would.

Glad to see someone else is thinking the same as me like Cult. There’s no way Naito wins before Omega/Ibushi happens. Means Ibushi has nothing to wrestle for bar stopping Omega making the finals which isn’t a big deal anyway. It’ll be winner takes all between Omega and Ibushi. Ibushi will either win and go on to face Omega at WK, unless they have Okada winning it, and hopefully turning on Omega at some point. Or it’ll end in a draw and Ibushi will end up turning on Omega and costing him the title and going down the “you don’t deserve to be champion path cause you can’t beat me” route. Okada v Naito will be headlining WK in 2020 so they can sell it out. Okada doesn’t have to be Reigns and be in the main event every single year. He can take a step back for one year and I’m pretty sure he’s still going to be as popular as he is.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    In some non-finals news, Meltzer broke his rating scale yet again, giving Omega vs. Ishii 5.5 stars. I just hope Ishii finally gets a title shot out of this. I've still waiting on the one he earned in 2016.

I can't wait until the dust settles on the G1 this weekend. It's gonna be a good couple of days.

EDIT: SPOILERS AHEAD!

After a Jay White loss and a main event draw, Tanahashi goes on to win the A Block! That was a tremendous match, those two have insane chemistry even after facing each other countless times for so many years. I can only imagine what Omega vs. Ibushi is going to be - I don't know if my body is ready for this.
    Last edited by Degenerate; 08-10-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Not really sure about Tana winning the block. Think it was just a means to an end so Okada didnt lose to one of the three potential block b winners. So sort of takes a bit of excitement away from the final for me. My body is ready for Omega v Ibushi because I’m 100% convinced that it doesn’t end 100% clean. Something fishy or big is going to go down at the end.

I'm starting to worry that we should temper our expectations for Omega-Ibushi. The Firing Squad ruined that six man today by running in to make it a no contest and quite frankly, all the stuff they've been doing feels like it could all be a set up for the ultimate screw job; preventing Omega and Ibushi from having a classic match with each other. The fact that New Japan has come out and said the Firing Squad will be suspended three months if they interfere only gives me more reason to believe something is going to happen, possibly involving a new member (or a Taiji Ishimori) running in to stop the match early. So don't get too excited just yet.

I will say that Tanahashi winning Block A makes it very easy, in my opinion, to pick who his opponent will be. Both Naito and Ibushi fought Tanahashi a combined five time last year; they were all great but neither match up is exactly fresh. The last Omega-Tanahashi match however was over two years ago. My guess is the Firing Squad will indeed screw over Omega and Ibushi, resulting in a no contest, only for Naito to blow it against Sabre to give Omega the block. Omega then defeats Tanahashi and, because he and Ibushi were deprived of their match, he picks Ibushi as his opponent for Wrestle Kingdom. It'll be a bit annoying we won't get to see Ibushi-Omega right away but on the whole, that's great storytelling.

Wow, Tana and Okada really have amazing chemistry, couldn't tell who was going to win the Block until Tana hit the final High Fly Flow.

I'm on board, with what everyone has been saying about Omega/Ibushi and The Firing Squad. The fact they interrupted the tag match before anyone could land a blow could be some interesting foreshadowing.

On the undercard I did love Suzuki chasing Fale up the stairs with a chair, would be cool if they released video of Susuki doing a terminator impression backstage just wading through officials and Young Lions trying to get to Fale.

I can't believe how good this four weeks of wrestling has been. These G1 shows are plentiful but they get on with the show and don't muck about with filler like video packages or massive entrances which are good sometimes not having them means if you skip the tag matches it isn't that much of a stretch to watch the majority of what is happening.

I have no idea who wins the next round but I do kind of love the potential story of 'does Tanahashi have one more, WK Main event and title run in him?'

@Sir_Samuel

I've seen the Idea floated where they do Tanahashi/Omega at the dome which as a Tanahashi fan, I don't think its the worst idea lol..

I just don’t see how Tana is anything short of a filler in the final so Okada didn’t have to lose to who makes it through. I just can’t see Tana beating Omega to then lose to Omega at WK. Doesn’t seem like the best bit of booking if you ask me. I still can’t settle on what outcome I see happening with the block b winner. It’s doing my head in.

He might beat Ibushi though after Omega and Ibushi have a draining match.. Also have to factor in the firing squad maybe getting involved somehow. English announce team was making a big deal about Tana being able to rest since he's just working a meaningless tag tonight.

And since Omega/Tanahashi has barely happened it would fit at WK

Why on earth would you do all this work with Okada and Omega to make them stars, only to then give the rub of both their title reigns to a guy who doesn't need them? Heisenberg (if that is his real name!) is correct; Tanahashi is there because New Japan didn't want to have Okada lose in the finals to any of the potential three Block B finalists (especially since running Okada vs. Omega or Naito right now would've been the wrong time) and thus they went with the draw. We'll see how it goes but considering New Japan did Tanahashi vs. Naito and Ibushi a combined five times last year and hasn't done him vs. Kenny in two years, I continue to say Naito will get upset by Sabre and the Firing Squad (despite the threat of a three month suspension if they interfere) find a way to fuck up the Ibushi-Omega match and have it declared a no contest. That allows Kenny to go through to the finals on points, where he defeats Tanahashi to further solidify himself as the ace adjacent to Okada and then, because the Firing Squad ruined their match, he picks Ibushi as his WK opponent so we can get the dream match we've all wanted with no shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    He might beat Ibushi though after Omega and Ibushi have a draining match.. Also have to factor in the firing squad maybe getting involved somehow. English announce team was making a big deal about Tana being able to rest since he's just working a meaningless tag tonight.

And since Omega/Tanahashi has barely happened it would fit at WK
    You can’t have Ibushi beating Omega to then lose to Tana. Ibushi beating Omega just progresses that story perfectly. As much as Cult likes to think his theory about the Firing Squad interfering tonight and making it a no contest there’s absolutely nothing stopping them doing the same thing in the final. It would be horrendous booking for them not to come out again then too. I’m just holding on to the belief that Naito will lose and Ibushi wins clean and then beats Tana.

Ibushi vs. Tanahashi is the G1 Final

Get the fark in baby! One more match for Ibushi and this storyline is shaping up very very nicely.

If Tanahashi wins tonight, he'd have to defend the case against White... and possibly Okada.

We're not out of the woods of a Okada/Omega V at the dome.

If you are worried about Ibushi...

Omega would have to defend against Ishii/Ibushi (yeah right on Yano).

Just saying.

It's going to be Ibushi. For what feels like the 9,001st time, there is no unearthly way that New Japan is going to blow off the Omega-Ibushi angle at Destruction, Long Beach, King of Pro Wrestling or Power Struggle. That would be like if WWE had decided to blow off Hogan and Andre at a house show or if CMLL blew off LA Park-Rush on a Tuesday show. On top of that both Omega and Ibushi are coincidentally set up to face Tama Tonga in the fall, which makes sense as they would need to go through him and the Firing Squad in order to get to face each other again.

If it were anyone else coming out of Block B (save Kenny) I'd think the chances of Tanahashi winning were decent because they have kept him and Omega away from each other. But they aren't passing up Omega-Ibushi in the Dome, especially for a match they can run as a big headliner down the road (for example, Tanahashi-Omega would be a huge headliner for a certain show stateside, say in April?). Ibushi will win tomorrow in what will surely be an excellent match, he'll defeat SANADA and Tonga to retain his briefcase in the fall while Omega will defeat Tonga in Long Beach and Ishii at King of Pro Wrestling to retain his title (maybe Yano is fit in as a challenger to both as he did defeat Kenny and Ibushi, albeit by bizarre circumstance) and they will throw down in what will probably be an even crazier match than what we got today.

Tanahashi wins the G1

Wow. I actually can’t believe it.

Fantastic match. Absolutely stunning.

I'm floored (I had it going the other way) and frankly disappointed. Not in the match; match was awesome, probably the second best match of the whole thing behind Omega-Ishii. I just really thought and was really hoping that we'd get Omega-Ibushi as the headliner at Wrestle Kingdom, which is surely not happening now and probably never happening considering Okada-Naito is a lock to headline in 2020. Luckily the disappointment will be fleeting; Omega-Tanahashi is fresh and will be great, and perhaps this now means that Omega-Ibushi will be the huge headlining match in MSG.

Wow, that was a bloody amazing match. So much character, so much passion and so much intensity.

I did notice a few people dissapointed on social media for the same reason you are Cult but I'd say you can hardly predict with any certainty that Naito and Omega is a lock for 2020. NJPW know how big of a deal Omega v Ibushi is as evidenced by its placement and they way they treated the tag match the night before, it will happen but on its own time.

@Sir_Samuel

I think its natural for people to be disappointed that we're not getting Omega/Ibushi WK main event but it just tells me that they wanted to do a fresh Tanahashi/Omega big dome match when Tanahashi was still close to the level AND Omega is not leaving anytime soon. Maybe the office and Omega's ideals for an ibushi don't match up (and Ibushi is still a freelancer ) however, I don't think the Omega/Ibushi story is over, far from it, and that at WK match next year was a bit soon to blow things off. New Japan loves the long drawn out build and if anything, the Omega/Ibushi match they had says they will come back to it later.

Omega needs to cement his status though, he does that by beating Tanahashi, then you can have Ibushi beat his GOD Tanahashi, and set up the Golden lovers later next year.

That match was off the damn charts! The whole show was really strong. It's probably the first wrestling card in a while I've finished in one sitting.

Hindsight being what it is, Tanahashi winning is probably the most interesting option. Kenny vs Tana will be fresh and the match will be great, we can get another Tana-Okada match to round out the year with the Tokyo Dome shot on the line since Tana never beat him to get there, and it's a new twist in the Golden Lovers story when it comes down to them having their feud that as good as he is Ibushi hasn't been good enough to do what Omega has done.

Tanahashi in his post G1 presser was trying to twist the knife saying Ibushi will never get where he needs to go with Omega with him.

Also called out Okada for another match hopefully at King of Pro Wrestling.

Beauty!

When Ibushi realizes that Tanahashi is right and turns on Omega it'll be so sweet. The Ibushi that worked Tanahashi might as well have been a heel and it was brilliant.

New Year Dash is the home of some major developments. An Ibushi turn on Omega there would be a great way to build to WK 2020. No titles on the line or anything, just the two of them wanting blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Beauty!

When Ibushi realizes that Tanahashi is right and turns on Omega it'll be so sweet. The Ibushi that worked Tanahashi might as well have been a heel and it was brilliant.

New Year Dash is the home of some major developments. An Ibushi turn on Omega there would be a great way to build to WK 2020. No titles on the line or anything, just the two of them wanting blood.
    it also would make sense in the fact that Kenny believes Ibushi is the reason why he's champion right now. His love and support as a friend *cough lover cough* I imagine they ride with the Golden lovers/ Golden Elite thru this year. They will take out the Firing squad and I'm sure Ibushi will get someone big for WK.. but then he lets his frustations out the next night...

Or they could stretch it to Post Genesis... Depending on what they want to do for MSG

Would assume Ibushi probably gets Okada at this stage. And I can’t see them running Ibushi v Omega at MSG because there is 0% chance that when and if Omega finally wins it happens anywhere but in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    it's a new twist in the Golden Lovers story when it comes down to them having their feud that as good as he is Ibushi hasn't been good enough to do what Omega has done.
    Yet (and correct me if I'm wrong here) Omega has never beaten Ibushi. And I don't mean just in NJPW or anything. I mean all the way back to 2008 and their very first meeting in DDT. Ibushi has always bested Omega, as far as I'm aware. So that's a pretty fascinating wrinkle.

I wouldn't be super surprised if we see Ibushi vs Omega at Dominion next summer. That way they know if Omega is staying beyond his contract, they can tie Ibushi down a little bit more, and if they only offer them both a one year extension come January they at least have another six months to work out how what to do with the title.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    I haven't posted since the G1 ended. In the days since then, I was kinda surprised that a lot of people were unhappy with the result. I don't know if it's a case of people being upset that their favorite didn't win, or that Tanahashi has been on top for so long, or that people don't think he's capable of putting on a main event-worthy match at Wrestle Kingdom anymore. I personally wanted Ibushi or Omega to win, but I'm really happy that Tanahashi got the win. I'm a big Tanahashi fan and think that he'll do great, whether that be at Wrestle Kingdom or if he loses the main event chance along the way as some are expecting.

Every single time he's in a big match nowadays, the phrase "the rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated" come to mind. You can't see his final two matches in the G1 and think that he's incapable of main eventing their biggest show. Meltzer gave those matches 5 stars (against Okada) and 5.75 (against Ibushi). And this is a man who will turn 42 in a few months and is rumored to have all sorts of injuries and ailments. I honestly don't know how he can pull off these matches at this stage of his career. I might be one of the few people who wants him to main event against Omega.

In any case, regardless of the result, I'm just glad that I was able to be a part of the whole G1 journey. The three weeks of the tournament was the best stretch of wrestling I've ever seen. Just incredible work by every single person involved.

I'm a Tanahashi fan as well. He's the main reason I became a big fan of New Japan. Not Nakamura, Not Okada, Not AJ Styles, not Omega... It was Tanahashi for me.. He's my guy. I wanted Ibushi/Omega again but I wasn't surprised Gedo went there.. I think people expected a certain story to play out and instead, for the moment, they are getting Tanahashi's last ride... Something people didn't expect.. Yet Great Muta was IWGP Champion 10 years ago way past his prime... Tanahashi is not even close to that broken down.. (also think he plays up the injuries for effect... he is a Shawn Michaels fan after all)