Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    So this is my first ever G1 and I have a question.

HOW THE HELL DO I KEEP UP WITH THIS WHOLE THING?

Seems like week in week out there will be absolutely sterling matches and there is no way I'll be able to watch them all. Also where do you go for the draw, tables, etc?
    The year I reviewed it from the start on the MP I watched every tournament match. It nearly killed me.

Since then I've picked out matches in advance that I really want to see, and watched those without any spoilers or anything. I've then checked a review of the show and if something has popped a decent review or two I'll check it out.

Tempted to try and watch the whole thing, despite the warnings here. I'll let you know how quickly I tap out.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Tempted to try and watch the whole thing, despite the warnings here. I'll let you know how quickly I tap out.
    Is it that the more people warn against it the more you start thinking.... I can do this.

@Sir_Samuel

It's more that I'm not great at cherry-picking and am a much better fan if I throw myself at it whole-heartedly.

It probably won't work and I'm semi-resigned to it with all the warnings but I still fancy giving it a go.

Okada lost to ZSJ in the UK. Do you guys think it is possible they are going to run a story of Okada losing himself after losing the title going through the G1? Is it possible even Tanahashi beats him in the block finals?
    You really had to spoil the match result? You know some of us were waiting for the fucking shows to come on NJPW World and actually watch them.

You run the risk of spoilers when a promotion runs shows overseas and in the early morning hours, Xan.

But if I'm intentionally avoiding the results, I don't need it told by somebody else in a thread that isn't dedicated to that card or the general discussion of the promotion. The least that is courteous is a spoiler warning.

Fair enough. Anything that's not directly related to the G1 shouldn't be in this thread, i agree with that. And that goes for the G1 special.

Quote Originally Posted by XanMan View Post
    You really had to spoil the match result? You know some of us were waiting for the fucking shows to come on NJPW World and actually watch them.
    Shit, sorry man. I will absolutely tag with spoilers next time. I would hate that if it was me so I absolutely apologise.

@Sir_Samuel

Thanks Sam, I appreciate that.

I didn't realize how awesome the match line-up is for B Block Night 1. If my math is correct, I should be able to watch the matches Sunday morning; I doubt I'll watch most of Extreme Rules, so it will be nice to have a PPV to watch the same day. Anyway, here's the line-up:

Juice Robinson vs Tama Tonga
    Hirooki Goto vs SANADA
    Tomohiro Ishii vs Toru Yano
    Kenny Omega vs Tetsuya Naito
    Kota Ibushi vs Zack Sabre Jr.

Ibushi vs. Sabre is just drool-worthy, it will be fun to see Ishii beat the shit out of his usual tag partner, and the other three should all be stellar and I wouldn't be surprised if all three champions lose to set up challenges later in the year at Power Struggle and/or King of Pro Wrestling.

The Brain
    Ibushi/Sabre definitely has potential to be one of the best of the whole tournament! And Omega/Naito on the same night, wow. That is pretty damn stacked. My interest in Tama Tonga has also shot way up now too.

Tama is getting another push and he needs to prove its worth in the G1. I'm not sure he can but i hope so. I like him otherwise but he hasn't really ever impressed me in ring.

Honestly, B Block is just stellar match after stellar match. Easily the strongest block I've watched since starting in 2014.. not forgetting English commentary for the whole lot of shows if I'm not mistaken. This is the first time right? Hell, I was just happy when we stopped getting those single camera tapings.

And Sam, my reccomendation is don't watch the entire show, just the official G1 matches. The first half is entirely tag matches relating to the next match ups for the other block, they're sometimes fun, but having them every day can break a man.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    Tama is getting another push and he needs to prove its worth in the G1. I'm not sure he can but i hope so. I like him otherwise but he hasn't really ever impressed me in ring.
    I feel like he doesn't have a consistent character in the ring. When he's doing the slippery eel, defensive wrestler thing, he's great and entertaining. When he goes straight up and tries to be a badass, it doesn't work.

I feel like they don't know how to make that his entire character.. He'll have flashes.. but the fact is, there's an expectation that comes with what Tama is supposed to bring. I know Karl Anderson if he never left would probably be in a higher spot by this point.

I really don't think Gedo directs guys how to wrestle in the ring. Surely that's Tonga's choice, right? It's like he has two or three personalities in there. He should stick with the defensive/slippery one; even if he is going to be the leader of The Firing Squad. Edge was a great heel because he did that; Tonga needs to be the same way to be successful from what we have seen so far. When he is playing against what I feel his best type is, I become very disinterested in what he's doing, and I assume that's the same with others. I know from listening to the Super J-Cast that at least Damon McDonald feels the same way. I'm guessing you do, too, LK. Does that mean my mine can't be changed? No, but until he picks a ring style and sticks with it, he is not going to be able to show us where his cap lies.

I think Gedo gives them an outline for what is expected... I mean most of them get certain gimmicks and are just supposed to run with it... like Evil for example. Having said that, I think Tama is mostly on his own, given what you said, he's probably in conflict with what Gedo want..

But yeah, Tama is not gonna go out there and be Kenny Omega or any other top guy. He has to do what he does best, being himself... its not a role problem... like i think other talent would benefit from a face run. With Tama I think slithering heel is his best role at this point.

The Brain
    Surely New Japan has agents or producers of some kind?? Definitely agree that slippery Tama is the best I've seen him (a weird sentence to write).

Yeah i don't think they just let guys do whatever they want, although i bet its not as heavily managed like in WWE.. its probably more you work with the booker wants you to do...

The Brain
    Right, I'm sure they have a fair amount of freedom but the house style is pretty well defined overall.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    Rey Mysterio was announced on the card on the day of the G1 finals. Not sure what the plan is for him, but maybe we'll get the Mysterio / Liger match that couldn't happen earlier this year?

Okada vs White was great. I'm becoming a big fan of Switchblade.

Agreed, he has come a long way since his re-debut at Wrestle Kingdom where he honestly struck me as nervous and unsure of himself (first impression). Now he absolutely owns every bit of his performance.

Okada is in a weird place too, cash replaced with balloons, gold with red, driving intensity with scooby doo.

I read it somewhere else but how long untill you start seeing 'CHAOS is fine tweets'?

In other matches, I really enjoyed the Hangman Page v Fale brawl, I wanted to be told a story and I got it with them.

Also props to the Suzuki v Tanahashi match. Both men sold their injuries so damn well, that inverted (I think it was at least) Dragonscrew looked insanely painful.

Bring on tonight!

@Sir_Samuel

Even the Makabe vs. YOSHI-HASHI match was really good. Maybe my expectations were low on that one and it over-delivered. Every single match last night was great, in my opinion. Great start to the tournament. Looking forward to later on for the stacked B Block matches.

Man Block B was excellent too.

I have no idea how Kenny and Naito can keep up the pace they set through the tournament. I guess as two of the favourites they had to go all out but that was a balls to the wall match from both.

I'm really intrigued by how Kenny and ZSJ will match up, the match with Ibushi was good but you could tell that they had very different styles.

I also really enjoyed the Yano match, seems like the guy is going to have an interesting story through the G1 even if he loses far more than he wins.

One of my favourite moments though was Jay White trying to corrupt Yo. The guy is on fire character wise at the moment and backing it up in the ring too. Could the G1 be his true coming out party?

@Sir_Samuel

Yes, it certainly could. He's going to have four points after tonight, I think, and continue to try and curry favor with the rest of Chaos. Omega vs Naito is almost as good a series as Omega/Okada and I really enjoyed the semi-main, as well, despite a couple of rough moments. Was surprised Kenny wasn't attacked after the match by Firing Squad.

The Brain
    I read it somewhere else but how long untill you start seeing 'CHAOS is fine tweets'?
    Come on now, CHAOS can't be fine OR un-fine because they're barely a real unit in the first place.

Glad to hear this is going so well, looking forward to cherry picking some top matches when I have time.

Eh, I came up with something:

So, if White beats Suzuki, we set up Fale vs White and a scenerio where White may get jumped causing a DQ win for him.

He gets "injured", but isn't really "hurt"

So, he goes into his next match 4-0 against Hangman. Bell rings, he walks out. We find out in his post match interview that he did the math and the Hangman match means nothing. He's beaten all the favorites, and this will allow him to get over a week without having to do a singles match (from the 22nd through the 30th.)

Call me crazy, but I could see him doing something like this.
    Last edited by Macho Mourn; 07-16-2018 at 11:10 PM. Reason: got the dates wrong.

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

The Brain
    Do they ever really do DQ ending for G1 matches? I didn't think they did but I haven't dug down deep or anything.

I do like the idea of a guy disrespecting the tournament by throwing a meaningless match.

I have a feeling we’re going to end up with a perfect draw in Group B

The Brain
    Has there been a tie in the G1 before? How do they break it down? I was never 100% clear on the rules in that situation.

There's been point ties in the G1 but it usually comes down to who beat who...unless there's a 30 min draw match that they have, i don't remember seeing that... and it still being a tie

Dave Meltzer gave his ratings for the first four nights of the G1 and he already dished out two five-star ratings. He gave them both to Kenny Omega's matches (vs. Naito and vs. Goto). He also gave two 4.75-star ratings (Ibushi vs. ZSJ, Naito vs. Ishii) and a few 4.5-star ratings too (Tanahashi vs. Suzuki, Ibushi vs. Juice). Unsurprisingly he was super-generous on the ratings for most of the G1 matches. Hell, he even gave both Yano Toru's matches good ratings (3.5 vs. Ishii, 3.75 vs ZSJ). The lowest-rated match he has so far was Tama Tonga vs. Juice at 2.5 stars.

I won't spoil anything in case people are still catching up, but a lot of those ratings are deserved (or maybe a tiny-bit higher, but that's a surprise).

After today's show, I've fully covered one week of the G1 Climax! Hooray, 1/4 of the way through! Oliver's right, it really isn't easy to watch every single match, never mind write them all up. That said, the match quality has been amazing so far this year, which makes covering it so much easier. Just gotta back up what Degen said, we're only at the third round and there's so many matches that I'd put on the watch list for folk. I feel like I'm strongly recommending three a day, such great consistency.

And in 2009 Makabe and Tanahashi drew on points and against each other in their match, so the Block winner was decided by a coin toss. That's only time it's ever happened though, it's not exactly the most favourable of endings lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Still going, too....

Quote Originally Posted by TheImplications View Post
    After today's show, I've fully covered one week of the G1 Climax! Hooray, 1/4 of the way through! Oliver's right, it really isn't easy to watch every single match, never mind write them all up. That said, the match quality has been amazing so far this year, which makes covering it so much easier. Just gotta back up what Degen said, we're only at the third round and there's so many matches that I'd put on the watch list for folk. I feel like I'm strongly recommending three a day, such great consistency.

And in 2009 Makabe and Tanahashi drew on points and against each other in their match, so the Block winner was decided by a coin toss. That's only time it's ever happened though, it's not exactly the most favourable of endings lol.
    Which is exactly what I see happening and Omega going past Ibushi thanks to a coin toss which hopefully pushes Ibushi closer to the edge.

While I don't mind events that set up something much bigger in the long term, I hope that there isn't a tie breaker like that happening in the G1. But who knows, maybe it'll work out.

I could watch all the matches, but honestly, I don't care about some of them. If Makabe or Hashi are in the match, I automatically check out. Yano I probably won't do that this year because of how good the block is. Suzuki...meh.

Yano Toru has been having some solid matches this year. Instead of straight-up comedy like in the past, he's been sprinkling that in but also actually doing his best to try to win. I really enjoyed his match against Zack Sabre Jr. I thought that was going to be a mess but it turned out really nice. Makabe has also been having some decent matches. These might be due to low expectations I had for both these guys coming in, though.

I've actually been able to somewhat keep up with all the matches so far. I just watch the next day on my iPad while doing some light work in the morning at home. I'm not paying full attention to most matches but at least I can see what's happening.