View Poll Results: Who is England's greatest ever striker?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tom Finney

0 0%
  • Nat Lofthouse

0 0%
  • Bobby Charlton

0 0%
  • Jimmy Greaves

0 0%
  • Geoff Hurst

1 20.00%
  • Gary Lineker

2 40.00%
  • Alan Shearer

0 0%
  • Michael Owen

2 40.00%
  • Wayne Rooney

0 0%
  • Other (Please specify)

0 0%

Best postwar England striker

I don't know how popular this will be outside a small group of posters, but I'm interested in knowing what the consensus is - I'd welcome people sharing it around to try and get as many responses as we can. Who is the best England striker ever, when you factor all things in?

I've started this with the postwar period, because football was a hugely different game before then and anyone who played for England had the advantage of playing in the best team in the world, which is a very different situation that anyone from 1945 onwards has encountered (even in the 1965-1970 period, England were probably only top three rather than clearly the best). And I've also not put Kane on there because it's going on at the moment and I think there's often a tendency in these things for there to be a bias in favour of what's in your mind at the time. So if you really, genuinely think it's Harry Kane, reply - but then make sure you make a damn good case for it!

I'm also including Bobby Charlton as a forward because, although he was often utilised as a midfielder, he was playing as a forward through that period in the 1960s when they were lining up as the 'wingless wonders'.

Right, vote away!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

England's greatest ever striker is the one who's goals won us the world cup for me. The greatest English striker would have a totally different answer.

Touche. And what would your answer to that one be?

That is a tough one. I think it's between Greaves, Linekar and Shearer. Leaning towards Gary I think.

For the record the people who just missed out on being options in the poll are Stan Mortenson, Kevin Keegan, Mick Channon, and believe it or not, Peter Crouch.

Of the list, I only ever saw three live. Shearer, Owen, Rooney. Shearer takes that mini poll.

I'm inclined to say Lineker of the full list.