Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Can't believe none of you have mentioned Keegan's Entertainers in the top 3 Premier League teams of all time.

There's part of me that's looking forward to seeing what City do next season. Arguably City, and Guardiola, won't be satisfied until they win the Champions League - so do they prioritise that next season over anything domestic? I doubt it makes much difference given how deep their strength goes, but could we see periods where City are essentially playing a 'second string' in the Premier League in order to focus on the European compettion?

Someone pointed out that they've played 61 of a possible 63 games this season. That's incredible in and of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Can't believe none of you have mentioned Keegan's Entertainers in the top 3 Premier League teams of all time.
    I'm gonna be completely honest. I think Keegan's team is vastly overrated. Though I live in Newcastle so it may just be grating on me when they talk about those days.

Entertaining? Sure. One of the best teams in Premier League history? Not for me, I'd put Pochettino's team ahead of them and while they're great to watch, no one would argue they're one of the best teams assembled.
    Last edited by Gooner; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:32 AM.

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

I have the feeling it was a slightly tongue in cheek inclusion. But just in case it's not, while I don't mind including anyone in the 'next rung down' conversation, I think to be considered at this level I do think you've got to have won things. Had Newcastle gotten over the line playing that kind of football, we'd have a decision to make, but it didn't happen.

61 out of 63 games is ludicrous. Be interesting to see if this FFP stuff does anything to stop the team becoming a true dynasty in the seasons to come, though.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Oh, 100% tongue firmly in cheek, but I would have them in a 'best of the rest' discussion for what it's worth.

I'll give you that. One of the best teams to not win the league, for sure.

So we've got Keegan's Newcastle and Pocchettino's Spurs. Anyone else in that discussion?

Brendan Rogers' Liverpool must be there

That was another that came to mind.

01/02 Leeds, maybe? You could perhaps argue that 97/98 Man United would be up there, but given that team was the nucleus of the one that then won three title back-to-back perhaps they don't really count.

You could perhaps argue that 97/98 Man United would be up there, but given that team was the nucleus of the one that then won three title back-to-back perhaps they don't really count.
    By all accounts they should have own the league that year, but faltered badly which allowed Arsenal to pip them to the title. After Christmas they won 9/18 games.

Klopp's Liverpool will be in the frame after another good season next time out. Huge points total and champions league final is a top foundation.

I'm actually surprised we hadn't already mentioned them! I suppose the final verdict may come with whether or not they win the league next season. In the same way that I said the 97/98 Man United side could be considered but they were the foundation for winning the next three, the same could be said of Liverpool this season - if they win it next year, can you really consider the team this year to be one of the best to not win the league, or is the case that they're the same team?

There's part of me that would love to make a case for 99-00 West Ham at this point, by the way. Which, I appreciate, is completely biased and very much with Claret specs on. But there's a reason why the names Hislop, Lomas, Potts, Sinclair, Di Canio, Ferdinand, Lampard, Keller, Foe, Moncur, Wanchope all spin of my tongue. My favourite West Ham side, for sure (although I also have a soft spot for the 01-02 team).

I was toying with the idea of throwing some Villa references out there - but the fact that they didn't put in a good enough league finish counts against them. I guess the problem with arguing for West Ham that season is if Leeds were better at the time, surely Leeds would trump them, easily? Similarly, if I tried to argue for the best iteration of the O'Neill team, Wenger's Arsenal and Moyes Everton always overhauled us every year, so.... yeah.

On the Liverpool thing, I think it depends on how much of the spine of the team remains intact. If they won it with broadly speaking the same players then I'd count that as 'the team' winning the league. For that reason I think you've anticipated my objection to including the '98 United side.

If you're throwing out 97/8 United, you got to have 98/9 Arsenal. Title went to the last day and Spurs actually led at OT at one point that day (I've never seen a goal celebrated less) and we all remember just how tight that double legged semi of the cup was. FWIW I would take that 98 Arsenal team over 02 and the invincibles. And it's gotta be Liverpool 19 as the best of the rest. Citeh went to another planet to wrap it up and they had to.

Nah I'd take the invincibles over 98, but 98 were better than 02.

Possibly more to do with the fact that in 1998 I was 8 and so in 2004 I was 14, but that 04 team had everything, there was no weak link. I think the 98 team is still a superb team, but perhaps a little less cover on the bench.

04 also had Henry at his very best, probably the best single season any Arsenal player has had?

But going back to the topic, I have to agree. In every other major league this year, Liverpool would have stormed it. They should be remembered for their efforts this year, and will certainly be remembered if they win the Champions League.

My heart is with 98. I went to every home game. Was at the Cup final and semis. OT, WHL, Anfield. All the big away games that year. I was so into the game at that point so that's why I have such a soft spot for them. Still had my season ticket in 02 but wasn't quite as involved. I had a lot going on by the invincibles, I'd dropped my season ticket and was about to leave the country. So the personal element plays a big part for sure.

Playoff final kicks off in 40 minutes. First time I've really had the butterflies in years, to be fair.

Congrats to Villa! Nice to see them back in the Premier League Prime.

Proper haps. Villa belong in the Prem.

Happy for Villa, but fuck John Terry

I've had a lot of people say something similar, I think outside of the midlands (where pretty much everyone doesn't like the big boys next door) people are generally glad to have us back.

Going to be a big ask to stay in the division next year though - a lot to do this summer.

It's genuinely great to see Villa back in the Premier League. No team deserves to be in the league on name alone, but Villa are one of the few teams that feels right being in the top division.

Cautiously optimistic tonight, Chelsea seem to be a bit disturbed in their build up whereas Arsenal seem to be more relaxed and focused. It's pretty much a 50/50 game, but if Aubameyang and Lacazette play up top, we've got a great chance.

Also, something that hasn't been mentioned but is certainly an important point, is that whoever wins tonight gets to be in Pot One when it comes to the group stage draw on the Champions League, therefore virtually guaranteeing a more favourable draw.

Personally, I quite fancy Arsenal to win this one - just a gut feeling, not based on anything, but I think they've got the edge over Chelsea.

Shame Ramsey is out for you, though, Gooner.

Personally, I quite fancy Arsenal to win this one - just a gut feeling, not based on anything, but I think they've got the edge over Chelsea.
    Which is why I'm cautiously optimistic to be honest! For years Chelsea were our biggest bogey team, however since Conte came in we've actually had the better of them mostly, especially at home. They're not a scary team to play against anymore, however they have the one player from either team that can win them the trophy, obviously that being Hazard.

Yeah, Ramsey is a massive blow, but so is Mkhitaryan. It means Ozil is guaranteed to start, which isn't a bad thing really, but it's whether he's up for it or not. He could be a 9 or a 4 out of 10 tonight, whereas Ramsey gives you a minimum 7 and Mkhitaryan a minimum 6, if that makes sense.

Will be a special night for Cech too. Last ever game, against the team he is most associated with. Hope he doesn't have a Karius moment, or even worse, Emery chooses Leno...

EDIT: Having said all that, this is a horrible stat: In all European competition, Arsenal have faced opponents from 27 different nations and beaten teams from 26 of those countries... with the only exception being against English clubs.
    Last edited by Gooner; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:27 AM.

Well, that was a horrible second half. Chelsea well deserved winners.

Yikes, sorry Gooner. Hoping for your sakes that Spurs don't pull it off tomorrow.

Does anybody actually have a preference for the CL winners this season? Part of me wants Liverpool to win and validate their season, part of me thinks it will be an incredible story if Spurs win it despite not signing anybody new for 18 months. Part of me is really envious of Spurs' previous transfer business, buying younger players and bringing them through a lot of the time.

Yeah I'm pulling for Liverpool tomorrow for the obvious reasons, but usually I'd be against Liverpool; not because of the team but because of their fans are the most annoying in the UK in my opinion.

So if I were an unbiased neutral, yeah, I'd be pulling for Spurs. And I think it would be a better story were Spurs to win it.

Word on the street is that Grealish will reject a move to Spurs to remain as the Villa captain. Big coup for us. He's obviously got to prove it in the Premier League this season but in the past year he does seem to have taken a big stride forward. I know the opposition has been at a lower level but don't be surprised if he makes a much bigger impression this season than he did when he was playing as a kid in the top flight last time.