Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    All relative to a degree, for sure. And if a team is overstretched in League One/Two, then the fact the chunks of money are smaller isn't going to make a huge difference. But saying that, you've hit on the bigger existential threat for them - the games being off nonetheless. In terms of moving between the divisions.... eh, it's just more of a reality, especially once you drop below the second tier. There are teams who expect to be in the top tier, or the top two tiers - but beyond that, teams expect to move around a lot more and it's part of their life cycle. It's why stories like Leeds, where teams get relegated and don't come back for 15 years, are a relative rarity, and why stories like Leicester's, which was so rare and enthralling in the top flight, are almost a commonplace in Leagues One and Two.

Happy to postpone relegation for the obvious reason! As it stands, we'd drop in 19th place. In fact, given our form and everything, even this suspension is something of a lifeline for us. As well as a chance to shift the mentality and change a few things it gives us chance to get McGinn back and possible Wesley as well (though I think for Heaton to get back to fitness you'd have to push the season so far it'd just be called off). So in many respects we're benefiting just from the break as it is, even if only because relegation was starting to look assured.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I think it depends a lot on the Euro 2020 decision. If that gets called off for a year, you suddenly have an extra 6 weeks to play with if necessary, more than enough time to get the remaining fixtures through I'd have thought. Probably only affects the top leagues and perhaps the odd Championship club, but it's something.

There's also the consideration, should Euro 2020 go ahead, that most European players, if not all, going into that tournament with next to no match fitness. Which can't lead to great games I'd have thought?

Or they'll be highscoring because of loads of mistakes.
    I want to know what will happen with the playoffs. Town are just about holding on to a spot in Lge2

Iíve booked flights for the Euros...

Sigh. Will have to spend time with family

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    I’ve booked flights for the Euros...

Sigh. Will have to spend time with family
    Come round and drink with me.

How did everyone survive their first weekend with no (top level) (domestic) football?

I ended up watching Batigol highlight videos on Saturday night. That man's right foot was a dream. The true GOAT.

The I landed on the highlights of both legs of Juventus vs Man United from the 1999 Champions League, which was a lot of fun.

Rumours in Cardiff saying Peter Whittingham has died. Donít know if youíll remember him, Pete but he was a hero at Cardiff.

That's awful if true - I remember him playing for them in the early 2010s. I think there was a point where West Ham were supposed to have had a bid rejected for him. Didn't he also start his career at Villa?

Can't have been that old - 36/37 maybe?

God that's awful. Remember him well. Saw him a few times because I was going to the games quite a lot back then. Magical left foot. Was never going to excel in the Premier League but he was good enough to play there, so when he went to Cardiff you knew he was going to be one of the best players in the division. Only 35. No age at all.

Perhaps some good news (although no idea how serious it is) - seems he is in hospital with head injuries after falling in a pub in Barry.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51928263

Seems this was over a week ago that he was hurt, so presumably some pretty major injuries.

I've read today that clubs have made a commitment to finish this season by June 30th. I imagine that is local issues dependent, but with the Euros moved there should be time for games. Whether players come back fit enough to play immediately or if there's a need for a mini pre-season before the season restarts, I don't know.

Also questions over whether things like the baseball, big gigs, boxing etc will go ahead as planned - because some of those would fall in June. For example, GnR are due to play at Spur's stadium at the end of May. It seems unlikely that will go ahead, but if it were to you'd have to wonder whether they could still run it there in and around the football fixtures.

Could be even worst at the London Stadium, given that LLDC own the ground - might be that West Ham have no choice in whether the planned events occur or not.

Pubs in Barry are dodgy at the best of times. Glad he’s alive though. Scary news.

2020 is shit. I just cancelled Sky and BT Sport. They didn’t even try and keep me.

I watched the 1980 FA Cup final on YouTube today.

Peter Whittingham confirmed . Horrific.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...er-whittingham

In a fairly shitty year, that's made me as sad as anything else that has happened.

In honour, here's my favourite Whitts memory. I was here for this which probably plays a part, and pretty much directly in line with Whittingham when the ball was played - best view in the house. He's not the one that gets the winning goal but it's a wonderful delivery and in many ways was the kickstart for the recovery under O'Neill. Skip to 1:45 if you just want the Whittingham/Barry combination, or just let the whole thing play through to go back to 2006 for a minute.

God. 35. No age. Such an utterly awful thing to happen.

Enjoyed that, Pete. A sublime cross. I’m gutted. Still so young.

Blimey, Kevin Doyle. There's a name I'd forgotten.

Also for some reason had this weird 'fact' in my head that Juan Pablo Angel always missed his penalties.

Talk of a statue in Cardiff, and possibly the 7 shirt being retired.

A statue would be a nice touch. He's got to be one of their best all-time players.

JPA didn't miss all his penalties but he did miss 2 in a game (against Fulham), which probably prompts the legend. He wasn't particularly good at them - probably had a 50% success rate while at Villa, and was taken off them by two different managers (the one in the video is probably his best effort for us from the spot). Went hand in hand with a general tendency against being prolific. Was a shame because he was a good player, otherwise. Used to link things up nicely, good header of the ball, technically sound. 23 goals in the 03/04 season that led to about 18 points. Not too shabby.