Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Association Football Discussion Thread (club level)

Cardiff are promoted!!! Warnock for all his undeniable flaws has done an incredible job.

The Premier League is all but finished. But we have the World Cup and Various playoffs ahead of us.

Use this thread to discuss all things football.

Warnock always does a great job in that division. His record is tremendous. There's a few guys who do - Mick McCarthy is another one despite what some malcontented Ipswich fans would have you believe. But I think Warnock might be the best.

It won't stop him from being pretty much universally considered a cretin, mind!

#WengerOut

Just one more week to go. Who's people's pick for the Arsenal job?

Ray Parlour.

Merse

In all seriousness they're making the Juventus manager, Allegri, the favourite for the job.

Whoever it is will get a grace period from me. I mean the last guy did fuck all for a decade and kept his job.

Won a few FA Cups mind. There's always a chance you'll go backwards badly.

Anyway, Villa have Boro in the playoffs. Fair to say with Derby and Fulham in the other tie that a reasonably big club is coming back up this year, regardless of which one of the four it is.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Arteta should get the Arsenal job. Him or Viera, anyway.

Moyes is apparently now no longer our manager, his short-term deal expired at midnight, so we're back to being managerless West Ham. I actually think the last three games have been as good an audition for getting the full time job as he has had in his time managing us, but have my concerns still about the defensive side of things - something which is possible as much personnel as it is Moyes himself. Converting Cresswell, who never really liked a tackle anyway, into a left-sided CB is probably the only poor decision he really made there, but otherwise the fact that we sold Fonte and Nordtveit (who was sadly much maligned and will be in the Champions League next season, assuming he stays at Hoffenheim) plus loaning Burke and Oxford out and Reid getting his inevitable injuries. Basically for the last couple of weeks we've only had Ogbonna, Cresswell, and Rice because Collins tweaked a hamstring too.

It's the obvious area we need to improve in the summer, plus a new goalkeeper (or number 2 goalkeeper, because I'd just keep Adrian between the sticks), right back, and (again) a defensive midfielder. And we're going to start that process with no actual manager so...joy, I guess?

Prime, I really hope you give Collins a contract. I don't think he's getting his with us renewed this summer and it makes me sad.

Oh, and something I've always meant to ask fans of other clubs - what do people think of Winston Reid? A lot of our fanbase seem to think he's severely underrated and should be alerting the big clubs every summer, but I'm not sure if that's really an opinion held outside of our little bubble.

And a third thing, because I love doing this - here's a starting eleven from the players who are set to be released this summer:

---------------- Hradecky
    Fredericks - de Vrij - Chiellini - Shaw
    Bamba - Can - Ozyakup - Meyer - Bernard
    ---------------- Balotelli
    Last edited by Oliver; 05-14-2018 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Oh, and something I've always meant to ask fans of other clubs - what do people think of Winston Reid? A lot of our fanbase seem to think he's severely underrated and should be alerting the big clubs every summer, but I'm not sure if that's really an opinion held outside of our little bubble.
    Was clamoring for Arsenal to sign him maybe 2 or 3 years ago. Can't honestly say I've heard much from him since then. Good defender, same level as perhaps an Ashley Williams in that not elite.

Best person for the arsenal job?

Rafa Benitez

Heís the best person for that particular job.

Second best: Graham Potter

Who will get it. Some big name who managed at a big club before and will be gone in two years

Rafa would have to bring results in though, because the style will lose him brownie points. I think the fans would only accept a slight change in style if it meant were there or thereabouts come May. If not, they'll turn on him. It doesn't have to be tiki taka, but it does have to be attacking.

The biggest legacy Wenger left isn't the FA Cups or Premier Leagues, it's the style of play that was never seen before 1996 in the league. Garth Crooks (though I hate him) said it pretty well; he was Pep Guardiola before there ever was Pep Guardiola. The game has changed and Wenger hasn't adapted enough to new methods and tactics.

Rafa has played attacking before, Liverpool and Real werenít as cautious as heís had to have been at Newcastle and probably Chelsea too.

With the players he has there, he could go back to what he does best, being a tactician.

Itíll never happen, but he has the coaching knowledge, budget ability and high level expertise to make it work

Liverpool had cautious and attacking seasons. You're right, it's totally about what's available to him. I don't know whether he'd look at Arsenal, though, and see a side that needs to be attacking, or one that needs solidifying and a defensive hardness. It could go either way.

I've regretfully had to admit over the years he's a good coach. I still really don't like him though.

He certainly wasn't attacking at Real Madrid, they got rid of him within 6 months because of it. The irony was he was sacked right after their most successful scoreline, think it was 6-1.

I'll give you that, Liverpool were very watchable during his tenure, however I wonder how much that had to do with having Torres there. He really was on fire for a couple of seasons before he went to Chelsea. However since then, Napoli, Real Madrid, Chelsea and finally Newcastle have all utilised a more conservative approach in terms of style, by and large. At Newcastle and Chelsea, it's understandable, but not with Madrid and Napoli.

Inevitably, given he's been their number one choice for about three seasons, we're being linked with Benitez.

Apparently Moyes isn't going to get the job because the board want a 'big name manager' and/or a 'young and dynamic coach'.

Just spotted the thing about Collins. Doubt we'll be in for him, haven't heard anything. Besides, he didn't leave us on the best of terms and after a good first couple of years there were some real question marks about his attitude in the last two seasons.

The way Rafa has moved around, you'd think that he'd rather stay at Newcastle. He's becoming a bit of a folk hero up there, quietly, and he knows as well as anybody that in football the next job isn't guaranteed to be a success. I'd keep the job going if I were him, particularly if the noise from the board isn't too bad. Besides, it's not like West Ham's lot are any better than Mike Ashley, is it?

Arsenal I could see him taking, even though it is a poisoned chalice. Still, it's one of the very few jobs in English football anyone would love a crack at.

I have a dislike in Rafa, but canít agree heís a defensive minded coach. Horses for courses though. Although I do kind of feel sorry for him working like he is and doing a good job.

In other news, Germany can leave Gotze out of the World Cup squad. That squad is ridiculous

I don't know if anyone else has seen but JLloyd Samuel, the former Villa left back who got to the fringes of the England squad in the David O'Leary era, died in a car crash at 37 yesterday.

Saw that and remember him well. Was a regular throughout 2000 to 2004. Handy player, never did quite hit the next level. Would have made well over 200 PL appearances all in I reckon. Surprised there isn't more news coverage on him. Awful shame, only 37. RIP.

A quick note about change of style. We don't even play nice football anymore. 10 years ago it made up for not winning anything any more. 5 years ago it became a joke. Now it's not even there. Of what I've watched this season, plenty of teams play more eye-pleasing football than Arsenal.

After today's news I reckon Big Sam and Moyes get locked in a room and the one who leaves alive gets the Arsenal job.

I'd disagree that it has been that long whereby we don't play the nicest football. Perhaps 2 or 3 years, yes.

While it's true it's not been as attractive lately, and this season especially, it's not down to a lack of trying. It's down to the fact that the players we have are no longer of the standard we require to play that way on a consistent basis.

It has to be said too, our defence was a joke. So many errors cost us this season it was unbelievable. The away form was also the worst I've seen in my life time.

In terms of the manager talk, Arteta is the one most papers are going for. Don't know what to think about that one, massive gamble for starters.
    Last edited by Gooner; 05-16-2018 at 08:41 AM.

Oh yeah, that has only been the last 2-3. What I meant is it didn't really make up for the lack of spine/results. Not gonna be an easy fix for whoever comes in. My worry with Arteta is are we just looking at a wannabe Wenger clone. That would be my worry. Whoever it is has a big job to do though. I was desperate for change and while Arteta wouldn't have been near the top of my list, I'd certainly give him some time. The biggest positive right now is that he has that winning scent to him right now. That is something that I think has been sorely lacking this last decade. He never had it as a player but coming off a title win may be good. I get so tired of excuses for mediocrity. I saw Rambo giving out a pat on the back tweet about a loss to Leicester the other day. Couldn't believe my eyes. It's a poison. So many winners sold over the years and replaced with that wrong attitude.

So...West Ham want Benitez. Is that correct? But Newcastle want to keep him. If I’m Benitez I’d stay in that situation. In reality he’s better than both clubs but he’s truly loved at Newcastle and always will be. I like seeing him and the club happy at last. I can’t see that ending well at West Ham.

Henry and Arteta are the two favourites for the Arsenal job. Neither inspire me. Are Arsenal fans happy with Arteta?

Then Everton have ditched big Sam despite his performance which baffles me. I don’t get that st all.

Then there’s Southgate’s team... I’m Welsh but like to see the English doing well. In my opinion, Smalling and Tarkowski have been the most consistent defenders this year. What did Smalling do wrong? He’s light years better than Jones or Cahill in my head. I’m so confused.

And poor, vulnerable Sven. I’d like to think in hindsight he’d be deemed successful and unlucky but apparently not. I’ve always found that weird too. I’d still say he was a very good manager, as was Capello.

The answer to it all is that Warnock should be manager of Arsenal and England. Immediately. Getting the best out of mediocrity is his specialty and our Cardiff team is utter shit.

Nah, neither Henry nor Arteta inspire me a lot but I will give whoever gets it a good shot. If it's an ex-player, Vieira would be top of my list. Strangely, I wouldn't be adverse to fighting it out with the Toon and Hammers for Rafa. It does concern me there doesn't seem much of a plan though. I want someone in asap so they can start building and putting their touch on the team.

Fa cup final currently on. Apparently Hazard's 300th appearance for Chelsea today.

And he's just won a penalty.

Jones is dreadful. And shouldn’t be on the pitch. Poor England.

I don't know if I would go so far as dreadful. Too many coaches have fancied him for me to think that.

With that said, you know he has a rick in him. As a striker no matter how well he was playing you'd be waiting for the opportunity.

For England, you just know they will be up against people who can find him out.

Emery set to be announced as Arsenal manager. Suffice to say I am not impressed at that appointment. This is the guy that masterminded a 6-1 loss to Barcelona after beating them 4-0 last season...

I'd take him over Arteta all day long! I mean a treble with that PSG side could be done by any of us but 3 ELs with Sevilla is impressive. He should have some decent contacts. Plus we aren't in the same footballing stratosphere as Barca or PSG these days. We need to try and get there. He wouldn't have been a top tier choice but got a little bit of hope.

I feel it's a bit underwhelming as a choice, considering who else is without a job at the moment. But like you said earlier, the fans, and me, will give him time to prove himself.

Surely Pellegrini is a better manager? West Ham have been lucky there.

Definitely looks like a good get for them. As for Emery, I guess it starts as soon as he's announced. Let's see what business he can do and how quickly. One of my big biggest criticisms of 2nd half career Wenger was he faffed about so much in the market, waited til it was too late, had to sell and then panic buy second rate replacements (ironically like Arteta!).

£7m a year for the pleasure of Pellegrini, though. Plus £5m a year to cover his backroom staff. Talk that we're looking at bringing in a proper DoF to work with him, possibly Husillos who worked with him at Malaga or Macia from Leicester. Apparently we've given the reigns to Pellegrini on transfers too - but then that's exactly how both Bilic and Big Sam started off and then it immediately tailed off - supposedly every pick in the first summer, Payet, Ogbonna, Lanzini, and so on, was Bilic's, and then he had it all nicked off him the next summer.

I saw a great comparison the other day saying that what Sullivan has essentially done is bought an old car as a teenager, and then spent the bare minimum to keep it going until he can afford to do it up. Now he's doing it up with an eye on selling it on at a profit because of all the work he's done, so is investing serious cash in it. I think he can sell in 2022 without incurring any financial penalty, so you can bet he's looking to keep that value up.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    Jones is dreadful. And shouldn’t be on the pitch. Poor England.
    Listening to Football Ramble today and they made a really good point on Jones - he's a defensive player with no sense of what danger there is. Like in the FA Cup final, he'd recovered well after not first anticipating the danger, and then instead of realising where he was and that Hazard was never likely to score from there he lunged for the ball, again failing to see the danger of doing it.

How he's on the plane but Smalling isn't, I don't know.

I think Southgate will end up falling on his own sword with Jones and Smalling. Smalling will be the hero when he returns etc...

On a totally different note: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football...tch_of_the_day .... I’m excited to see the Grant Holt thread in the general wrestling forum.

Right, roster of footballers who would make it in pro-wrestling?

I legit thought they should have done Vinnie Jones vs Stone Cold to promote the Condemned. Vinnie would have made a fantastic heel.

Joey Barton would be an amazing shit talking heel.
    Adebayo Akinfenwa would just throw people around.
    Zlatan has his kung-fu.

Zlatlan would immediately become an internet darling and win the WWE title within a year.

In other news, Ronaldinho is to marry 2 birds. What a nutter!

Will anyone else be watching the Champions League final this weekend? I don't watch a whole lot of football but generally try to catch the Champions League.

I read today about Heavy Metal Football which sounds as awesome as its name. Can anyone confirm how likely this really aggressive style is to work against Real?

@Sir_Samuel