Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    John Terry and Thierry Henry collabing as super best friends forever!! One great attacker? One great defender? What could go wrong?!

It would be amazing if that happened.

I've heard a rumour that Henry is being lined up for the job at Monaco, which is curious.

Honestly, that convinced me of the merit of Brendan Rogers more than Brendan ever did by himself.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I get the feeling Henry is going to get mentioned for any manager's job that comes about. I think he'd fit in well at Villa, the only possible drawback is that it may feel difficult for him to go against Arsenal should they get promoted. He's always said he would never 'play' for another English team, so not sure if that would relate to managing too. The other side of it is if he would get the time; you'd think he would, especially with Terry there. Is it just me or should the roles be reversed, Terry the main man and Henry as the assistant coach? Terry is more of a leader than Henry in my book...

Henry's already turned us down if you believe the rumour, so there's now chat about turning to Dean Smith (with the possibility of Terry returning as an assistant).

Have to say, it would make sense. Started his career there, so he has roots in Monaco.

Smith is a good get for villa, you'll be happy with him ��

Hope so. It's a popular appointment with the fans anyway.

In other Villa news, RIP to the inventor of the bicycle kick and our one-time chairman, Doug Ellis.

Gone quiet in here with the Premier League on a break. Anyone see the England game in the empty stadium? That was pretty weird.

Also, funny bit of news came when the guy doing the livetweeting of the Stourbridge game had a typo so it read something like "25 minutes - Smith shoots wife from 30 yards".

Naturally football fans had a bit of fun with that one.

Yeah saw the game out of the corner of my eye (playing Fifa at the time). Only real talking point for me was the Rashford miss. The sky is the limit for him, but he needs to start putting away the easy chances. Too many 1 on 1s he's fluffed his lines. There's still plenty of time to rectify that.

Spain game tonight. I'm expecting a loss, just hope it's with guts.

Enjoyed non league weekend. Was entertaining. Wembley FC are a great little team.
    Last edited by anonymous; 10-15-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    Spain game tonight. I'm expecting a loss, just hope it's with guts.
    Well well well... Now that is a turn up for the books. Haven't seen highlights yet, but heard we picked them off on the counter. Sterling getting two should silence his critics a touch. I think he is a little overrated overall, but some of the stick he gets in the press is quite harsh at times. I don't usually buy into the whole "agenda" theory that the press have for certain people, but Sterling is one that makes me wonder at times.

Sterling does take way more than his fair share of stick and it does make me raise my eyebrows at times.

As for whether he's overrated... I tend to think the reverse might be true. There's some obvious flaws in his game because even I'm actually a better finisher than he is, usually. But I think people get so hung up on his flaws that there's a whole swathe of people out there who don't rate him at all and don't seem to realise he's probably the most important attacker. His off-the-ball work and his movement seem, whenever I've watched England, to be where most of the opportunities for other players come from.

I mean, if he could finish like a young Robbie Fowler he'd be world class. As it is, he's a good international player. But to hear some people out there talk you'd think it was an Illuminati plot that he hasn't been dropped already!

I think if Sterling was actually a striker, I think his lack of finishing would be an issue. But equally, his finishing surely can't be that bad if he scored, what, 23 goals for City last season was it?

The real problem with him is that he's got a twat for an agent. The same twat that is the agent for Reece Oxford and Domingos Quina, and caused a hell of a lot of trouble for both at West Ham behind the scenes, by all accounts.

I think it's just that he misses things that look easy. But you're right, his record actually isn't that bad when you dig into it. His shots per goal ratio is better than Harry Kane, Mo Salah and Sergio Aguero, and roughly comparable with Lukaku and Firmino. He outscored the latter two in the Prem last season too, not to mention Hazard, or as many as Alli and Silva combined.

I said I would give Emery a couple of months before making any form of judgement and seeing as we're now approaching November now seems to be the right time to assess how it's gone so far.

All things considered, I'm fairly impressed. The first two games of the season was a horrible start in terms of luck of the draw. Possibly the best team ever in the Premier League followed by a notorious bogey team in Chelsea for your first two games of your Arsenal career was bad luck, plain and simple. Most people would have expected 0 out of 6 points and that's what happened.

Since then though we have won every single game. Ten in all competitions. It's interesting to note how they have been achieved. Let's look at the results:

(H)West Ham - 3-1
    (A)Cardiff - 3-2
    (A)Newcastle - 2-1
    (H)Vorskla Poltava - 4-2
    (H)Everton - 2-0
    (H)Brentford - 3-1
    (H)Watford - 2-0
    (A)Qarabag - 3-0
    (A)Fulham - 5-1
    (H)Leicester - 3-1

A couple of things to note. First of all, it's clear that the defence has started to click. Before the Everton game, it was quite honestly a shambles and we really were lucky to grab 3 points at Cardiff and against Wet Ham. Slowly but surely, they've gotten to grips with playing from the back and, while far from perfect, they have limited the stupid mistakes that took place earlier on in the season. Now, on the surface, you could say that's due to Leno coming in, but that would only be partially true. A bigger factor for me is Toreira. He really does look like the real deal, a much better DM than Xhaka, especially as that first point of attack. The back four looks more stable and more confident now also.I still don't trust Mustafi, but Sokratis looks very decent and Bellerin and Monreal have done well. The Everton game was the turn around point; a first clean sheet. Since then in 6 games we have conceded 3 goals, the 6 games before that we conceded 11. A good response.

Secondly, the attack has goals written all over them. In the last 10 games (counting the Chelsea game), we have scored at least 2 in each match. Emery started with either Aubameyang or Lacazette, but switched to mostly playing them together and it shows. That's good management, something we didn't see a lot with Wenger. Emery isn't afraid of changing things up when things aren't going well. Wenger, for all his positives, was too loyal at times. Besides that, Ozil has gotten into the groove (last night he was different class) Ramsey and Welbeck are also contributing... It's a very good sign.

The naysayers will point to the teams that we have played, and with a fair point. The best team we played is probably Leicester or Everton. Liverpool in two weeks will be interesting to see, provided we get the points at Palace next week.

Expectations remain the same, perhaps with more vigor and hope than before. Top 4 is achievable. Anyone thinking we can win the league is delusional, but it's a transition and I can't see a reason not to suggest that perhaps next season, we'll be better positioned for a title run.

I think the thing with your naysayers point, Gooner, is that you can only beat what's in front of you and Arsenal have looked good doing it. It's not like you've scratched for ten 1-0 wins there, you've started to overrun and dominate teams.

I'm doing something similar to you with Pellegrini's start to the season, and aside from winning the games back to back I've got to say I'm coming out positively right now after a number of games. Most significant is that he realised the formation early doors wasn't working and, while it took him up to an International break to do it, he changed it up. Our last five in the league, we've looked significantly better as a unit.

Our biggest concern has to be that we're still picking up injuries. I'm starting to think we're just cursed now, but we've lost Yarmolenko for the season (pretty much, I think he's estimated back at the end of April) just as he was starting to make a mark, Sanchez for easily that long, and Wilshere to his ankles. Add in Lanzini's injury in the summer, and Reid being out for an unknown time because (reportedly) his back is completely shot, plus Carroll never really being fit, and we've got a lot of potential starters of squad members on the benches and are now looking at fielding Diangana on the wing, which is fine and I like him but he's still quite raw.

The most frustrating aspect of it has been that we haven't followed up the four points against Chelsea and Man United by beating, for example, Brighton. We need to change that and beat the teams we expect to be around come the end of the season if we're going to press forward, and that makes our next three - Leicester (A), Burnley (H), Huddersfield (A) - before facing Man City at ours really key games, in my opinion.

But overall, I think we've improved and are still improving. Hopefully we can get through these next three with some positivity, although equally it would be just like us to go on another winless run.

True, you can't pick and choose who you play. The test however will come from November onwards with Liverpool, Spurs and Man United games scheduled in a span of a month or so. Got to look at Christmas too, which with the exception of a trip to Anfield, does look fairly manageable.

West Ham are a weird one... very stop and start. Yarmelenko was definitely looking good so that's a shame, but do you get the impression that West Ham have over paid slightly for the players that they brought in? I think they brought in 80m worth of talent in, but apart from Anderson and Yarmelenko I can't of another signing that I would classify as an over 15m worth...

Well, equally, apart from Anderson and Yarmolenko the only player we paid over that for was Diop at 22m, I think - Fabianski was about 8m, Sanchez, Balbuena, and Perez 4m each, and Wilshere and Fredericks on free transfers.

I like Diop. He had a couple of rickety moments early on, but since he's steadied himself and formed a partnership with Balbuena that's working nicely. He was probably our MotM against Spurs last weekend. He's also really young, and so if there's still potential in there I think that will pay off in the years to come.

The only real let down from our summer so far is probably Ryan Fredericks. Thought we would have seen more from him, but his three Premier League games didn't impress.

Right, but would you swap Sanchez, Balbuena and Perez (Fabianski is a good signing, so I'll leave him out) for one 20m - 30m player?

Phoenix from the Flames, in the reading and non-wrestling writing forum, is touching on some of those very same issues, guys.

Go check them out - they're a quick read and hopefully entertaining. And if you like 'em, by all means spread the word.

I never check that forum... good spot Prime, will check it out now.

Edit: it's your thread haha, not just a good spot, good plug too!

Right, but would you swap Sanchez, Balbuena and Perez (Fabianski is a good signing, so I'll leave him out) for one 20m - 30m player?
    I mean, Sanchez and Perez at (say) 10m combined I might swap for just one player, especially as Rice has clearly marked his place ahead of the former (injury or otherwise). Balbuena's been good at the back for us so I'm not sure I'd swap him out, but I would have said if you'd offered me those three or one centre back for that money in the summer I'd have certainly taken the one centre back, if that makes sense.

Yeah I get what you mean. And I can't say I have followed West Ham too much so far this season bar the headlines, so perhaps I'm doing those players a disservice. There's certain players that are 20m players (Bernard at Everton springs to mind, even though he arrived on a free) but are undervalued and I felt those players were the opposite in that they were 10m players and overvalued. I suspect once you get a few players back from injury things will start to looking up. As a club there is so much potential at West Ham, they just need to grasp it.
    Last edited by Gooner; 10-25-2018 at 11:29 AM.

So the event at Leicester are absolutely horrendous. I’m still hoping for a miracle. But yeah, it looks like the owner for their title winning season and one the best owners in football was on board. There’s also the pilots, other passengers who have lost their lives potentially. There’s been a lack of news on it all and rumours have started linking half of the football to the flight.

It’s a sad, fucked up situation.

Terrible weekend overall with Hoddle also in a serious condition and I believe a Brighton fan passing away during their match.

Newspapers today seem to suggest it could have been a lot lot worse but for the pilot who navigated the malfunctioning Helicopter to a mostly empty car park.

Yeah was a horrible weekend for the game. Still seems to be casting a bit of a pall over everything too.

Only game in England today is us against Bolton. Need the win here, and should get it, really. Only lost once at home all season.

Very much so. Interesting to ponder how this would have gone down if it hadn't been Vichai and had been, say, Ashley*. Vichai was undoubtedly one of the better, if not best, chairmen in the league and I think that's been very much reflected in the past week. Makes me even sadder that Brady was really catty to him in her Red Top Rag column once.

Is Paul Lambert the first manager to cross (indirectly or directly) the Norwich/Ipswich divide? The Old Farm derby in February could be extra spiky.

(*I realise this could seem in bad taste. I don't wish death on anyone, but I'm not sure Ashley's loss would be so keenly felt in Newcastle as Vichai's has in Leicester, for example)

Is Paul Lambert the first manager to cross (indirectly or directly) the Norwich/Ipswich divide?
    Yes.

Villa looked good, Pete. Think they’ll get to the playoffs?

Honestly? No. Hate to be a pessimist about it but right now I think you'd have to be mad to predict that until we sort out our issues away from Villa Park.

Might change my mind but right now I'd be a liar if I said I believed we'd finish in the playoffs.

Am I the only person that doesn't like these 'International Testimonials' like Rooney is due to get, or Sneijder and Podolski have had? All seems a bit cheap, to be honest.

I don't find it to be a problem personally. If it was a competitive fixture then yes, but a friendly... it's not as if much else would happen. While you could say it cheapens the achievement of getting a cap, it is for one of our best ever players (like it or not, it's true), our record goalscorer and very likely a reason many young kids that are now starting their careers decided to pursue football as a career. I'd say he probably deserves it.

Plus, I'll likely watch the game now. I do think there needs to be a qualifying process, such as reaching at least 100 caps, never playing for England again, for a charity (which I'm led to believe is the case)... Yeah don't see anything wrong with it. And I doubt this would happen often, probably once every generation or so. I'd say only Lampard and Gerrard in recent memory would deserve a similar recognition.
    Last edited by Gooner; 11-06-2018 at 06:36 AM.

I'd have probably been a lot more hardline about it at one point in time but now, I see the argument. Probably better that you can do something for charity than not. It's not like international caps mean anything like what they used to anyway. There was a point in time where playing for the national team was the highest honour in a players' career and I'm pretty sure that isn't the case anymore. For the biggest stars it seems like a burden, and everyone talks about the meaninglessness of international friendlies. At least this gives it some meaning, even if the meaning is located outside of football itself.

Plus, I'll likely watch the game now. I do think there needs to be a qualifying process, such as reaching at least 100 caps, never playing for England again, for a charity (which I'm led to believe is the case)... Yeah don't see anything wrong with it. And I doubt this would happen often, probably once every generation or so. I'd say only Lampard and Gerrard in recent memory would deserve a similar recognition.
    Apparently it's now not 'directly' for a charity, as the FA will take the gate receipts, but there are a number of activities around it for Rooney's foundation.

I think it probably wouldn't be an issue if this was in a standard qualifying period and this November break was two back-to-back friendlies due to us having qualified. But given that it's essentially a tune up for facing Croatia in the Nations League, it does feel a little strange. If I was, for example, Callum Wilson and I wasn't getting a call up to the friendly squad because Rooney's occupying a spot, I might feel a bit aggrieved.

Usually the squad is made up of 23 players for each call up; perhaps for this one time they may allow for 24? Would resolve the issue of someone "missing out".

I take the point on the example of a Callum Wilson or some other English player that may have started a season well, but I would suggest that if he continues playing at this level, he will get his chance. If his form dips, then nothing is lost.

One of my biggest pet peeves is handing out debuts (not necessarily caps, hence why I'm for the Rooney situation) to players based on one or two months of playing at a decent level. David Nugent, Kevin Davies, Frazier Campbell, Carl Jenkinson, Jay Rodriguez, Joey Barton... the list is long. Most if not all had an outstanding month or two before their call up and then regressed back to mediocrity. A player needs to perform at a high level for a minimum of 6 months before consideration for me. Otherwise it's pointless.

The exception to that might be if you're just about to go into a tournament. If someone has had a great last 6-8 weeks then it might be worth taking them when they're in-form, because the success or failure tracks so closely to what is happening there and then.

Generally speaking calling someone up for the odd friendly or qualifier when they've barely any track record is a bit pointless, I agree.

Sorry for double posting but found this old document, ranking all the then league teams in order of size. I don't have the scale used to draw this up unfortunately but I can remember it took into account seasons in the top flight, titles and trophies, and the size of the club's ground (as the only reliable marker as to the size of their support). But even though it's impossible to really look at the method without a full list I thought it would be interesting to post it and ponder how it might have changed since 2010. I've only posted the top 35, but the original thing had all 92.

Man Utd
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Aston Villa
    Everton
    Tottenham
    Sunderland
    Newcastle
    Blackburn
    Leeds
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Wolves
    Nottingham Forest
    WBA
    Manchester City
    Bolton
    Sheffield United
    West Ham
    Middlesbrough
    Derby
    Ipswich
    Leicester
    Norwich
    Birmingham
    Fulham
    Southampton
    Portsmouth
    Coventry
    Stoke
    Crystal Palace
    QPR
    Burnley
    Watford
    Barnsley

Looks like Wilson made the squad anyway...

I think Talksport in 2017 did their own list, measured thus:

"A variety of factors, including size of support, wealth, standard of stadium, current standing and historic success. We’ve taken all these aspects into account – giving more weight to current situation than the past (with less and less importance attached to events as you delve further into the history books) – and come up with a ranking of the top 30 biggest football clubs in Britain."

https://talksport.com/football/32029...-171207264732/

From Prime's list, I'm sure Man City will be higher up, possibly Leicester and West Ham too. Amazed Sunderland are higher than Newcastle, even back then in 2010.

Four goalkeepers in the squad again, too. Very interesting.

Man City would presumably be the obvious movers, probably up to the top five?

I mean, from an entirely selfish point of view I would assume that West Ham moved up a fair bit just based on the stadium size barometer, even if we don't own the place. Spurs possibly edging up too, especially with their new ground. Neither of those likely to dent that top five, really - especially when you consider that only three clubs outside of Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool have won either the FA Cup or League Cup since 2010 and all three aren't in the Premier League anymore.
    Last edited by Oliver; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:28 AM.

That list is clearly racist as there's no Welsh teams on it. I think it just voids everything.

The relegation battle this season is one of the best ever. However, the quality of the league has to be one of the worst. Fulham, Newcastle, Southampton, Burnley, Cardiff and Huddersfield would all be certain to go down in a usual season. West Ham, Brighton and Wolves aren't setting the world alight- they're just better than the utter rubbish that's below them. There's never been such a gap between top and bottom and it makes me feel quite sad.

On the plus side, Cardiff might stay up! Purely on the inadequacies of other teams.

On the flip side, The top 3 (I don't consider Spurs and Arsenal on the same level) are interesting. I fully expect Manchester City to continue pulling away and win the league at a canter. Chelsea are looking strong but don't have a consistent striker. Liverpool are looking strong but their front 3 aren't playing as well as last year, which is strange. I'd argue Shaquiri and their other midfielders are the ones truly firing. Despite being a weaker team, I do wonder if Arsenal could sneak up to 2nd or 3rd.

The Stadium farce at Spurs is amazing. I don't understand how this happens with every stadium and yet people are still surprised by it.