Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    On the flip side, The top 3 (I don't consider Spurs and Arsenal on the same level) are interesting. I fully expect Manchester City to continue pulling away and win the league at a canter. Chelsea are looking strong but don't have a consistent striker. Liverpool are looking strong but their front 3 aren't playing as well as last year, which is strange. I'd argue Shaquiri and their other midfielders are the ones truly firing. Despite being a weaker team, I do wonder if Arsenal could sneak up to 2nd or 3rd.
    I dunno, Liverpool look very threatening still. Their front 3 aren't playing at the same level as the end of last season, but they've still got a bunch of goals. Salah isn't quite hitting the same heights, but then again it was around this time last season where he started to shine, and the goal at the weekend will certainly help. Mane and Firmino... pretty much are the same as last season. Still think Man City will win by double digits mind you...

If Arsenal make even 4th I'll be ecstatic, for Emery's first season. Fully believe Chelsea are there for the taking without a striker, even though they have been impressive thus far. If Hazard was to get injured... Tottenham are wobbling at the moment, but overall they are a better team so I expect them to finish in the top 4. Though dropping into the Europa League will not help their cause.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    That list is clearly racist as there's no Welsh teams on it. I think it just voids everything.
    While this is obviously silliness, there is a kernel of a good point in there. I did this list in 2010, Cardiff and Swansea were 37 and 38 respectively, so they just missed out on the top 35.

But that means I did it just before each has had the most successful run of their existence. One of the things this took into account that I can remember was seasons in the Premier League - and Swansea were promoted a year after this and had six seasons in the top flight. Cardiff have had a couple, too.

I can't say for sure that Cardiff would make it in if I update this list. But I expect that they would, and I'm 100% certain Swansea would be shooting past people and might be in the top 30.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Double post but just run a (simplified) quick update on this, and this is how it turned out. I went as far down as any team to have won a major honour in English football, and anyone who would come in above them just on the size of their ground.

Man United
    Liverpool
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Aston Villa
    Everton
    Tottenham
    Man City
    Newcastle
    Sunderland
    West Ham
    Blackburn
    Nottm Forest
    Southampton
    Sheffield Wed
    Leeds
    WBA
    Bolton
    Middlesbrough
    Wolves
    Leicester
    Fulham
    Derby
    Portsmouth
    Coventry
    Stoke
    Ipswich
    Sheffield United
    Crystal Palace
    Charlton
    Burnley
    Norwich
    Wigan
    Birmingham
    Huddersfield
    Swansea
    QPR
    Preston
    Watford
    Hull
    Wimbledon
    Cardiff
    Bradford
    Brighton
    Reading
    Barnsley
    Bournemouth
    MK Dons
    Blackpool
    Bristol City
    Notts County
    Oldham
    Bury
    Swindon
    Millwall
    Plymouth
    Port Vale
    Carlisle
    Tranmere
    Doncaster
    Oxford United
    Luton Town

Obvious takeaway straight off the bat - Chelsea have gone from being just ahead of Villa and have actually reigned in Arsenal. They only took them by a couple of points, but they did finish ahead. Man City do climb a lot, from 16th place into the top 10. Everton and Spurs stay where they are, but although you can't see it from this shortened version I can tell you that they are both likely to overtake Villa in the next 12 months, whether they win anything or not. Villa would need to be promoted to prevent that from happening.

West Ham climb seven places, and will definitely crack the top ten in the near future given the issues Sunderland are having. Speaking of which, Newcastle have overtaken Sunderland. Leicester actually don't gain a great deal, just the one place, but actually if you have the full list they have closed the gap to traditionally far bigger teams. I'd say that again, you can see them sliding into the top 20 in the coming seasons. I'm not sure how but there's no improvement for the Welsh teams, Swansea stay where they are and Cardiff lose a few places. I guess there was something about the old model that benefit them that I've forgotten. I think both could claim to have a few places but it's all a bit of muchness around there, and I don't think either could claim with a straight face that they are as big as Palace and deserve to be in the top 30.

Finally, some conclusions from this list. The biggest team not to win the European Cup is Arsenal. The biggest team not to win any major European trophy is Newcastle. The biggest team not to win the league is West Ham. The biggest team to have never won the FA Cup is Leeds. The biggest team to have never won the League Cup is Everton. The biggest team without a major honour is Fulham. The biggest team to have never played in the Premier League is Preston. Those actually all look pretty accurate to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    The biggest team to have never won the FA Cup is Leeds. The biggest team to have never won the League Cup is Everton.
    Those are great (and very surprising) facts. Would never have guessed Leeds hadn't won an FA Cup.

No, fuck, miscounted. They did in 1972. That throws it out slightly. They don't gain anything but they are closer to Wednesday. And the biggest club not to win the FA Cup is Middlesbrough....

Anyway, did anyone see that referee who left his coin in the locker room and so decided kick off with a game of rock, paper, scissors?!

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    No, fuck, miscounted. They did in 1972. That throws it out slightly. They don't gain anything but they are closer to Wednesday. And the biggest club not to win the FA Cup is Middlesbrough....

Anyway, did anyone see that referee who left his coin in the locker room and so decided kick off with a game of rock, paper, scissors?!
    Ah fair dos. And it looks like they beat Arsenal in the final....

Yeah, have to say, how hard is it to get a coin? Maybe an extra 30 seconds tops? If this was to happen in the Premier League, the ref would be in much bigger trouble than he is.

Not that it really matters I guess, but it's a pretty well defined rule that happens in most team sports.

I think it's kind of ridiculous that ref has been banned for three weeks, mind you. Seems to be the equivalent of bringing the game into disrepute.

Yeah that's overkill. Slap on the wrist should have done it I'd have thought. I wouldn't even have said it was a problem at all if it weren't for the fact that it could get challenges to the game and maybe end up with some legal headaches.

Players get away with worse in every game.

Oh yeah, I wasn't of the opinion that he should be fined or banned, but I find it hard that the ref's first inclination was to play rock, paper, scissors instead of asking anyone for a simple coin.

Apparently he got flustered because it was on TV. truth is you need to say fuck TV and ask someone to fetch or lend you a coin....

So, I've not followed the Nations League format properly in my head since it started, but England are now in the finals given the win over Croatia, which is nice. I think the final four are ourselves, Switzerland, France/Netherlands, and Portugal.

But also (again, if I'm following it all correctly) we're now guaranteed a spot in at least the play-offs for the Euros in 2020 - right? It's something like the play-offs will be the top 16 teams in the Nations League that fail to qualify for the Euros - and given the top two in each group go through you'd anticipate we'd manage it anyway, but it's a backstop. Seems more likely, however, that this will trickle down to involving teams currently ranked lower in the Nations League - the Repbulic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, even Scotland could all be involved in the play-offs assuming that the top 20 ranked teams in it get to the finals automatically through qualifying anyway. Kind of interesting, anyway.

And we're also guaranteed a five team, rather than six team, Euros qualifier group.

I'm in the same boat as you Oli, I haven't paid enough attention to it either. Should probably brush up on all this.

It's overly complicated, granted, but it's a much better idea than throwaway friendlies. Would have preferred 4 team groups to three, but it's not big deal.

Getting to the finals would be a deserved reward for an England team that has come on leaps and bounds in the last 12 months. And looking at the opposition, Switzerland who managed to beat Belgium, Portugal and possibly an improving, but not imposing Netherlands team, there's certainly reason to suggest we could win it.

Is what you're saying, Gooner, that this could be the equivalent of winning the Toulon tournament before Euro 96, guaranteeing us a gutting semi-final penalty defeat to someone in Euro 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Is what you're saying, Gooner, that this could be the equivalent of winning the Toulon tournament before Euro 96, guaranteeing us a gutting semi-final penalty defeat to someone in Euro 2020?
    I'd almost bite your hand off for that! That constitutes progress in my book. A Euro 2020 semi-final would still be an achievement for this young England side, considering the 4 semi-finalists at the World Cup were all European. Also Germany finished 3rd (WC 2006), 2nd (Euro 2008), 3rd (WC 2010) and 3rd again (Euro 2012) before finally winning the World Cup. So long as we're reaching semi finals, with an eventual final hopefully, I'd be satisfied...