Non-WWE Wrestling Games

Though the WWE has always licensed the market leaders, I found a video of Tecmo World Wrestling - undoubtedly the best playing wrestling game of the eight-bit era - and it got me thinking about how there are plenty of other games out there, not just from WCW but things that don't necessarily track to any specific company, that were also pretty great.

If you don't know the game or want to just remember, I'm attaching the video. It's pretty long and sits on the start screen for the first minute and a half so you may want to skip in. But this was a really great game and challenging too. It came out in 1989 so much the same time as Wrestlemania Challenge which I also enjoyed but I don't think there's much doubt this one is better.

I also played a bunch of WCW games, the ECW game, and Wrestle War on the Mega Drive/Genesis, off the top of my head.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I loved Tecmo Pro Wrestling; first time I ever saw a giant swing, powebomb, northern lights suplex, among others. I'm looking forward to Fire Pro Wrestling World coming out for PS4 in a couple months.

I would love just a pure management/booking game. The 2K Universe mode is incredibly time consuming because if you want to choose who is going to win then you have to actually play the matches out.

Has anyone ever stumbled on one?

@Sir_Samuel

Extreme Warfare series were the most famous ones. We had a thread on it for the old board.

Total Extreme Warfare is was the version that they spent a lot on the gameplay and such. That's the commercial development of what was freeware. As it is commercial, though, it doesn't have real names as that would require licences.

Oh cool, I'll have to check it out.

@Sir_Samuel

Extreme Warfare Revenge is the most recent free one. There's a whole community out there keeping up to date rosters, creating various scenarios, and what not. Steve will probably be able to tell you more when he sees this.

Its not a video game but I've dabbled in Filsinger games where its basically a card and dice game and you book matches between wrestlers and see who wins. Its a very niche thing but can be quite fun since the creator made his own set of wrestlers in a sci fi type world.. They also have sets of real wrestlers but they are not tied to big companies so they have to get permisson from a wrestler outside of WWE.... The biggest company they are tied to is ROH..

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Extreme Warfare Revenge is the most recent free one. There's a whole community out there keeping up to date rosters, creating various scenarios, and what not. Steve will probably be able to tell you more when he sees this.
    That's a price I can get behind!

Its not a video game but I've dabbled in Filsinger games where its basically a card and dice game and you book matches between wrestlers and see who wins. Its a very niche thing but can be quite fun since the creator made his own set of wrestlers in a sci fi type world.. They also have sets of real wrestlers but they are not tied to big companies so they have to get permisson from a wrestler outside of WWE.... The biggest company they are tied to is ROH..
    Sci-Fi wrestling sounds quite interesting and ready for some craziness. How in depth is the game?
    Last edited by SirSam; 06-30-2018 at 01:43 AM.

@Sir_Samuel

Its about as in depth as your imagination. There's a booklet/starting point for the Sci fi wrestling promotion, all the characters have their own backstory (first set came out in 1987 so it leans heavy on babyfaces and Heels) and the way the wrestler stats are set up, you have your top guys, your midcard and even some jobbers.. with tag guys... People run their own feds and branch away from canon....

What i'm trying to get at is I found playing the game is fun but making your own story from the results was the draw for me. i would recommend trying it out online.. if you want a link, i can send you a pm.

Well I downloaded EWR and am going to try and get started. Gotta say it is a pretty big learning curve but I'll see how I go.

EDIT: I wish I had found this game before I went on holidays. It is very labour intensive to do much of anything so I think I may have to pass on it for the moment. I had some meta-ideas for feuds worked out but it just takes so long to book each TV show.
    Last edited by SirSam; 06-30-2018 at 07:44 AM.

@Sir_Samuel

In that case Promotion Wars might suit you more. Bit quicker to play through.

I loved Fire Pro Wrestling on the Game Boy Advance. It was difficult to do what you wanted unless you got used to the controls (Which I did) but you could literally stab people in the head with a fork if you were ultra heel. Great game. There was all the regular wrestling moves like Tombstone, chokeslam and stunner, but there was a load of crazy shit too. You could create wrestlers too and there was generally loads of time to be spent on it for a GBA game.

I kind of wish I could play it again to be honest but it would probably be hard to pick up.

EDIT: Just remembered there was some kind of triple suplex with three people if you did it right. How cool is that?
    Last edited by The Dude; 06-30-2018 at 06:46 PM.

Triple suplex sounds interesting, I might have to track down a let's play for it.

I remember a really early TNA iPhone game that was turn based. Was kind of clunky but certainly something different and interesting.

@Sir_Samuel

Remembering that the only downside to Promotion Wars is that you can't play as the WWE. Unlike EWR, you have to play as one of their rivals and try and make a run at them.

It was definitely quicker to play though, and was quite good by the last version.

Anyone remember the WCW games on the PlayStation and N64? Could be nostalgia but I remember them being way in advance of what the WWE games were like until the Smackdown series got rolling.

WrestleMania 2000 and No Mercy took what WCW World Tour and Revenge did well, but made it tons better.

Only in the generation following though, right? Which is kinda what they should do, since they were reacting. When you remember that WCW Revenge was up against WWF Attitude... man, that's an easy choice. WCW led the way until the backstage assault debacle, which I think came up against Smackdown to seal things for the WWF.

In fact if you think about it, with WCW leading the way (at least on the N64 games) and the WWF improving to keep up in the subsequent edition, there's a bit of a parallel with the actual Monday Night War in the video game battle.

I had totally forgot about Attitude. Isnít that the game where you had to do ridiculous button combinations in order to pull off a move?

WCW has a game on the original PlayStation that came out around the same time as World Tour did (if Iím remembering correctly). It has Sting in the cover, and it was quite enjoyable (although very simplistic) from what I remember.

That's the one, yeah. It also become the engine for ECW Hardcore Revolution once the WWF moved up in the world.

I think the game you are thinking of might be WCW vs the World? Sting was also on the cover of the 'Nitro' game but was less prominent than on the former, which was their first playstation game and I believe the first since Superbrawl Wrestling for the SNES.

One thing I remember was WCW vs. nWo World Tour was so amazing. At the time it was revolutionary. I saved my money to buy WWF Attitude, and some how at the end I ended up with both World Tour and Revenge at the same time. I would say that I really wished we got the full Virtual Wrestling 64 roster but on the Revenge. But over all, THQ and especially AKI really changed wrestling games forever. And can I say, AKI Man in Revenge might be my favorite WCW video game character of all time.