View Poll Results: Which of the Four Pillars is your favourite?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mitsuharu Misawa

2 40.00%
  • Kenta Kobashi

1 20.00%
  • Toshiaki Kawada

2 40.00%
  • Akira Taue

0 0%

Pick Your Pillar

Simple enough question for the puro fans, which of the 'Four Pillars of Heaven' is your favourite?

Vote above and, if you're inclined, give your reason in a post!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I've voted Misawa. I'll try and explain why.

I really think Misawa is the greatest professional wrestler to ever walk the planet. He might not be my all time favourite wrestler, but he's in my internal monologue for that. But what he is is one of the masters of the craft, and that I can have no question about. He learnt at the feet of Tsuruta (who in and of himself probably deserves a nod as the true greatest of all time) and then built on the building blocks he learnt from him, adding in the junior style after his excursion in Mexico, which saw him come back a different wrestler. For me, Misawa was a sponge for wrestling - he would just absorb styles and techniques and then make them work for him, especially early on.

His connection with the crowd was so good that Baba, supposedly, made a snap decision to phave him defeat Tsuruta clean at a show in 1990. But it's more than that - the guy was just such a natural. Sometimes wrestling looks forced, but for me Misawa looks so calm and comfortable in the ring, like his body is moving without him having to think about where it's got to be at any specific moment in time. He had perfect pacing, a perfect blend of styles, and a perfect crowd manipulation with it all. The total package.

I mean, he was even working great tags as his career was slowing down - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAoZa444p8c.

The Brain
    I went with Kawada without much hesitation. Everything about him appeals to what I like best in a wrestler. He's tough, he's mean, he can go out and maul a guy, but he can also sell on a god-like level and tells a wonderful story.

Every Pillar is great and I love Ollie repping Misawa, who would be my second choice. Just like Kawada gives out an air of menace, Misawa has this amazing stoic energy, which should be a contradiction but isn't at all if you've seen him work.

Who's your pick, Pete?

Well, as you probably know there's a lot more respect than genuine affection on my part because I'm not always a great lover of the style, and so without firm allegiances it can be quite easy for me to gravitate to whichever one I saw do something I liked most recently.

But with that said, I know more of Misawa and Kenta than I know of Kawada, and I know more of him than I know of Taue. And it's pretty much never Taue, if I'm honest. And it probably does tend more towards Misawa than the others although I could see Kawada challenging that if I'd seen an equal amount of the two.

So there's a bit of an answer in that long non-answer there!

Taue's an interesting one because, like you Prime, he's the one pillar that I rarely really consider when it comes to a conversation about greatest/favourite wrestlers. Misawa, Kobashi, and Kawada I immediately think of and can discuss quite happily, but Taue never really seems to enter my personal conversations.

I would assume it's because he never really had a serious break out singles run, and was mostly used in tags. Kawada, Kobashi, and Misawa all either racked up the number of reigns with the or the length of them (in Misawa's case, both) with the Triple Crown but Taue only got one run with the belt and it lasted 60 days or something like that. That goes on to his highly rated matches - all but one of them (vs Misawa) were in tags. And, I mean, Holy Demon Army were a frigging great tag team, but to have never really had a significant singles run like the other three pillars had must really hurt his legacy and how people view him.

Do love me some Taue tag matches, though - there were a whole bunch of six mans involving him, Tsuruta, Fuchi, Misawa, Kobashi, and Kawada from early on in the 90s which are excellent.

The Brain
    I have heard of people who like Taue best, but it's fairly rare. It seems to happen more to people who have watched oodles of All Japan, so maybe he's a bit of an acquired taste to see in that top light?

In my case it's not because I have thought of him as noticeably worse than the other three, when I've seen them, so much as he's the one who works least to my own taste. So I just don't connect as well.

The Brain
    I do enjoy how he seems to be more of a dick than the other 3. Misawa is stoic, Kobashi is earnest, Kawada is brutal, and Taue is a dick, haha.

So appears this poll finished up a tie then...

And has finished wrong! Kenta Kobashi is and will forever be the correct answer. Which isn't to belittle the other guys; all four are great (even if Taue is a bit behind the other three). But to me, when you look at Misawa, Kawada and Kobashi I mean...Kobashi is just tops. He was an outstanding tag wrestler and his best teams were with guys not normally associated with being "great" workers (Johnny Ace and Tsuyoshi Kikuchi). He was an athletic marvel who had one of the greatest moonsaults ever despite being the same size as Sting most of his career. He had better longevity then any of his peers. And most importantly to me, he has more top end matches with a variety of opponents then the three guys. Again, Kawada and Misawa are excellent to me but their best matches are with each other or Kobashi (you could argue Jumbo in Misawa's case). Meanwhile Kobashi has matches with Jun Akiyama, Stan Hansen, Steve Williams, Samoa Joe and the famous chop battle with Kensuke Sasake at NOAH's Destiny show (perhaps the greatest show no one talks about anymore) that are equal and in some cases better than the bouts he had with the other pillars. And that doesn't include the tag stuff, like the match with Kikuchi against the Can-Am Express, which in my opinion is one of the two greatest tag team matches of all time and one of the five greatest matches ever.

So yeah; I take Kobashi all day and every day. Probably the greatest wrestler I've ever seen in my life and it's almost like he's become somewhat underrated these days with how revered Misawa is and how Kawada has gotten the underground "best of the pillars" push from certain fans.

Not to belittle the poll but five people voted. Not exactly a wide base. I don't think I did cause I haven't see enough of all 4 but I definitely lean Kobashi's way.

Hey we gave it enough time. If the rest of LoP doesn't give enough of a damn about the question to vote in that time, then that's as good a reflection of the LoP opinion as anything, five votes or not.

The Brain
    I don't think it's really possible to have a "wrong" answer here. These guys were all awesome and each brought something a little different to the table.