Thread: Catch-22

Catch-22

I hear George Clooney is working on an adaptation of Catch-22. The film version led to a lot of people saying that the book was basically un-film-able, but maybe this version - slated as more of a TV show - will be able to get to grips with more of the novel. Perhaps, given the length of the book and the few decades in the interval, this will be more successful.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    It's my favorite book of all time, so I hope they do well with it. I actually did like the movie but I agree it didn't do justice to the book by a long shot. Nothing is going to be better than the book, but this may well get closer at the very least.

Just us mate!

It's a great book, no doubt. I'm still skeptical about the ability to film it, and I also think there's something about the climate now that could lead to a backlash against some of it, if they stick really close to the book. I do think TV could map onto it better than a movie, because it's a long old book, and there's been some changes in.... let's call it style, over the years, that I think could make some of it a bit more accessible.

I'll probably watch it, anyway.

Just saw the first photo I've come across from this. Could be sooner, rather than later.

I had a copy of the book once, but I never got around to reading it. Only reason Iím chiming in on this thread is to remind you guys that have actually read the book... television and film never do the book justice. Only one film I can think of that took a book and made it better was Fight Club. (And even the author, Chuck Palaniuk, agreed with this sentiment.) When converting book to film... so much gets cut out. A lot of internal monologue and being able to set the scene and even interactions between characters. Iíll stop being a Debbie Downer. Hope you guys enjoy this whenever it finally airs.

I've heard of a few other examples but this is a fair point. That said, I can't imagine they are going into this without an attempt to learn from the old movie and why that wasn't well received, so there's some cause for optimism.

The Brain
    Not convinced that the Fight Club film was better than the book, though I very much enjoy both.

V For Vendetta was a better film than graphic novel, though it was different enough that both are worth checking out.

Movies are still fun even if they aren't up to the standard of the book, so I'm still very interested!