Thread: Austin Aries

Austin Aries

I've been trying to catch up on Impact a bit lately, just to see how they are getting on. Generally speaking I think the show is in better hands now, even if the actual direction of some of the angles really isn't for me. The sense is there that they know how to make things look a bit cooler than they used to, in terms of the production. There's still some issues there when they cut away from videos and get to the ring, but I digress.

But anyway, I was starting the thread because one of the things I did really enjoy was Aries addressing the roster after losing the title at Redemption. I thought this was well shot, and that Aries played it very well with his whole 'I'm not making excuses...' while making about a million excuses.

So yeah, some decent stuff from A Double over the past few weeks.

The Brain
    I'm a big fan of Aries pretty much all around, I think he has some classic matches in the 00s but my favorite stuff he's done so far has been in this decade. His run up to his first TNA title win was phenomenal and coincides with some of the best stuff TNA ever did, particularly his rivalry, and later partnership, with Bobby Roode. I get (to a point) why WWE didn't do more with him, and I think overall he was smart to get out when he did, as he's a guy who has no trouble getting lots of attention anywhere he goes. Bringing him back to Impact was a good sign and helped make up for some of the notable guys who have left recently. Though he's still going strong at 40, I wasn't sure he was a great choice for champion, and I think they made a great choice having him drop to Pentagon, and that's all I'll say about that for now.

Grand championship is no more (somewhere Mizfan rejoices!) as Aries has unified it with the Impact title to make what they're calling an 'undisputed' world championship.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Yup, I'm right here rejoicing! Never liked the belt at all. Bring back the TV title and weekly defenses!

I'm not sure how I feel about Aries in 2018, after having watched a bit more of him. He still brings a lot to the table but he is definitely starting to feel like he belongs to an earlier generation. Not sure if it's just his age or if spending time in WWE caused the indy scene to pass him by or what. Still a big fan, but starting to think they really need to move that title off him.