Christian/Religious Music

Anyone interested in Christian or religious music?

I will be the first to admit there is a lot of really generic music out there but there is also some amazing expressions of people's faith.

I'll start with this song, A Prayer by my favourite christian band Kings Kaleidoscope. It is about the lead singers anxiety and he actually says the F word when he is describing the nature of his depression, created quite a stir in the christian music community when it came out.

Anyway aside from the swear word (which I personally feel is actually very smartly used but probably became a distraction) I feel like this song is an amazing, incredibly raw expression of Jesus personal love for us and suffering alongside us. The music matches the lyrics so well and the usage of silence is really powerful.

First time I heard this song it made every single hair on my arm stand up and when I played it for my wife she cried.

Anyway, what did you think? If anyone has any other Christian or other faith music I'd love to hear it and I'd be happy to share more.
    Last edited by SirSam; 06-28-2018 at 04:46 AM.

The only song I can think of is alive by pod. Its just a good song whether its religious or not.

I'll check out the YouTube vid when I get back from the doctors.

POD were awesome, when I was a teenager I had a radio show on the local Christian radio station and I probably played that song every second episode.

Didn't know/had forgotten you were religious, and it's odd because I have currently been listening to the bible on youtube.

Checked out the song, it's not bad but not really my thing. It is quite touching though you're right. I do love that POD song tho. I tried learning it on guitar ages ago and it's not even that complicated I just plain suck.

What parts have you been listening to specifically? Anything in particular stand out?

A similar band to POD that I used to really enjoy was a band called Pillar. I even saw them live, was the sweatiest, smelliest mosh pit I've been in. A song I particularly remember enjoying by them was Frontline. It has been years since I listened to them and I expect I may not love them as much any more just as my tastes have changed but give them a listen if you really liked POD.
    Last edited by SirSam; 06-28-2018 at 07:54 AM.

Disclaimer... Iím a straight up atheist.

Having said that, Christian hardcore is one of my favorite genres. UnderOath, Devil Wears Prada, Stretch Arm Strong, We Came As Romans... I could go on, but you guys get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    What parts have you been listening to specifically? Anything in particular stand out?

A similar band to POD that I used to really enjoy was a band called Pillar. I even saw them live, was the sweatiest, smelliest mosh pit I've been in. A song I particularly remember enjoying by them was Frontline. It has been years since I listened to them and I expect I may not love them as much any more just as my tastes have changed but give them a listen if you really liked POD.
    It wasn't the swear word, anyone can do that. I do it all the time and it doesn't make you cool. South park made the point for me. It works but needs to be limited so that it doesn't just become casual.

It was the Jesus where are you repeatedly that got me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    It wasn't the swear word, anyone can do that. I do it all the time and it doesn't make you cool. South park made the point for me. It works but needs to be limited so that it doesn't just become casual.

It was the Jesus where are you repeatedly that got me.
    Yeah, that part of the song followed by the silence then the violin is spine tingling.

I think for me the usage of the f word is quite fitting because it is used to add violence to the song and is normally not present in any of their music or really any music for the genre. The idea of the Southpark episode about swearing is that when you use it all the time it loses all meaning however when you never use it, the one time you do really stands out and in this context gives it some real emotional resonance to the violence of his anxiety.

Also I meant what parts of the bible have you been listening to?

Disclaimer... I’m a straight up atheist.

Having said that, Christian hardcore is one of my favorite genres. UnderOath, Devil Wears Prada, Stretch Arm Strong, We Came As Romans... I could go on, but you guys get the idea.
    I'm interested as to what attracts you to Christian music given you probably don't have a lot of time for the lyrical content?

In case anyone is interested here is another song by Kings Kaleidoscope called Alive, it is one of my most listened to tracks of last year, mainly for the second half of the song after the rap in the first verse.

I'm quite into classical music with a religious focus but can't say I know much that is pop or rock oriented, beyond the odd song.

I do remember thinking 'Hello McFly' by Relient K was kinda fun, if that counts.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

SirSam,

I grew up as a Christian when I was a teenager, and subsequently got into the hardcore scene where there were a ton of great bands that happened to be Christian. Even after losing my faith, I still enjoyed the style, and it seems Christian bands do that style better than non-Christian bands. Plus, thereís generally a good, positive vibe at live shows that the non-Christian stuff isnít always able to maintain.

I'd love to hear some if you could point me to a few songs like that.

I remember going to Christian music festivals as a teenager and just loving catching the metal bands even though they weren't my favourite genre, they just had so much energy and the crowd just went for it so hard.

Sam, I was listening to the old testament but my grandma sent me the new testament and recommended it. I'm not sure if it's for me, but I do feel I should read it which I never have. I was good at R.E at school somehow anyway, I don't get how.