View Poll Results: Who is your favourite New Japan stable?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chaos

0 0%
  • Bullet Club

1 12.50%
  • Los Ingobernables de Japon

6 75.00%
  • Suzuki Gun

1 12.50%
  • Taguchi Japan

0 0%

Favourite NJPW Stable

Which of the groups in New Japan is your favourite, all things considered?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Hard to imagine not going with LIJ. Every member has something to offer, and the group actually means something, united in a certain attitude and mindset. And they're just cool.

CHAOS has lots of talented guys but is bloated and basically meaningless as an actual group, just a perfunctory frame for multi-man matches.

I could see someone going with Bullet Club, but they're just not for me. Too much trying to be cute, winking at the screen, aping popular groups from the past. They've had quite a few useless members too.

Suzuki-gun is basically just fodder for the leader, who is indeed awesome, but his group is an afterthought at best. Well, maybe not Sabre, but overall.

Taguchi Japan... I honestly have no opinion, they are pretty insignificant aren't they?

Interesting question though!

They're basically everything I hate but I do expect them to win.

Well I'd be lying if I didn't go with BC, I know that is the 'mainstream' western stable but as a newer viewer they are the ones that have sucked me in.

I really like Suzuki Gun, Suzuki is an obvious badass and ZSJ is a great complement to him, he feels very dangerous in the stable. I also just like the way Lance Archer and Davey Boy Jnr just smack guys around too.

@Sir_Samuel

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    They're basically everything I hate but I do expect them to win.
    Really hoping this means Bullet Club and not LIJ!

I do think it's worth pointing out it's hard to talk about the Bullet Club as a single entity. Even taken as a whole, there's at least 4 different version. There's the Devitt version, which I actually thought was pretty cool. There's the AJ version, which was a mixed bag. There's the early Omega version, when he was goofing around with the Bucks, which I thought was very lousy. Now there's the more dramatic Omega version, which isn't nearly as bad, though I guess now it's fragmented with the Ibushi/Cody stuff.

Both equally, to be honest!

The Brain
    You're gonna have to explain to me what's your beef with LIJ, Pete. I admit I don't watch as closely as some but from what I've seen they're pretty consistently good and not at all cutesy/winky.

is it a wrong opinion to not really like New Japan stables? For the most part they function for tag matches but they also tend to limit who a guy can face. if you're in the Chaos or bullet club or whatever you will rarely face off and when you do its in the G1 or someone turns.. but since these groups been together years, actual splits of groups haven't happened, really.

I think that's what Gedo prefers but i tend to find the groups stale because besides Suzuki Gun, they don't even get involved.. Los ingognobles have a motto but it doesn't extend to one's gimmick except for Naito.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    I think Los Ingobernables have it all kind of together. Naito is all-around awesome, Hiromu is possibly my favorite New Japan guy at the moment, Evil and Sanada are great both individually and as a team, and Bushi is always super-entertaining when he's involved in something (like his little feud and match with Gedo earlier this year). They also feel the most unified team whenever they're in those ten-man tag matches that constantly happen.

Suzuki-gun would be a close second. I dig that they seem to always have each other's backs by constantly getting involved in matches to help their stablemates. Suzuki is a legend, and Zack Sabre Jr. has added so much to their dynamic. Taichi has been doing amazing in his role. Desperado and Kanemaru have been solid in their current Jr. Tag Team Champion run. I also like Iizuka's shtick a whole lot. The only knock I would have is that for one reason or another, KES seems to always not be around most of the time and I tend to forget they're part of the stable. If they were heavily involved more frequently, I think Suzuki-gun would be my top squad in New Japan.

Bullet Club is awesome but all the drama happening now has turned me off to them, and they just seem to be three entirely different entities at this point.

Chaos and Taguchi Japan have just seemed to me more about the individual performers as opposed to a group, so I don't really count them as stables in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    ]Bullet Club is awesome but all the drama happening now has turned me off to them, and they just seem to be three entirely different entities at this point.
    Funny that story is the main thing that has got me more interested in NJPW beyond watching just the biggest matches.

@Sir_Samuel

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    I get that. It's just different tastes.

I've only been watching New Japan for about two years so I'm not all that familiar with how the Bullet Club operated originally, but before it just seemed like one solid unit which is what I personally like about these groups. Right now I'm curious about how the Golden Elite / Bullet Club / the forgotten ones will all play out but I guess I don't like how long it's gone so far when it comes to their unity, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    You're gonna have to explain to me what's your beef with LIJ, Pete. I admit I don't watch as closely as some but from what I've seen they're pretty consistently good and not at all cutesy/winky.
    I mean at one level it's a good old-fashioned I just don't much like the leader. At the risk of sounding like an old Southern matriarch sipping on iced tea on the porch I take against anyone who spits that much pretty quickly. And I don't really connect to anyone in the group in any deep way, either. So some of it is purely personal.

In a more philosophical sense, I'm pretty much over the 'cool heel' thing. And outside of Naito and maybe Hiromu, I'm not sure how cool they are anyway. Bushi ain't cool. Sanada looks like the teacher's pet trying to hang out with the naughty kids. And Evil... I dig the act, but it's total high camp. Nothing cool about it. But even if I don't find them as cool as others, they're still playing into that whole cool heel thing and it's just so 1998.

And besides, when I am confronted with a world in which good and bad don't really mean very much, I've a tendency to default towards the biggest heels of the lot. If you're going to be bad, you might as well be the worst of the lot. Which I think explains my liking for Suzuki Gun, above and beyond the fact that I tend to just like them across the board.

So yeah, it's two-fold really. Fortunately the way it seems to manifest in practice is just wanting to see them lose, so it does add a little bit extra to matches they are involved in (so long as it's not against other guys I don't like when it becomes a snore).

It's a very interesting time to ask this question. We don't know at this point if there even still is a true Bullet Club and just for who is in the stable both work-rate and personality, The Golden Elite would be at the top of this for me. The Bullet Club is mostly excellent in total, but there's also dead weight there. Chaos isn't a stable, Suzuki-Gun annoys the shit out of me, Taguchi Japan both isn't a stable and annoys the shit out of me. I'll go with LIJ, who I really do enjoy, but they would lose out to Golden Elite if that were a choice here.

Taguchi Japan.

DANG IT! I clicked LIJ instead. Mah bad.

Na, LIJ is the group with the most variety and cohesiveness. The 5 members makes them stand out as an exclusive circle of friends instead of guys who work together. This also allows their matches against each other to be more viscous without damaging "stable ranks." Naito is the figurehead but is quick to hand off shining moments to his friends without it being on certain terms. Coming out to his stablemate's music. Stuff like that.

Yeah, I'm high on EVIL. But, really, Hiromu will end up being the biggest star out of the 4 beneath Naito. Hiromu's stock has risen in the last year. In a year where he rarely won a singles match anywhere. Hiromu's slow burn to the division's biggest babyface has indeed be magical. Who knew a joke idea with a plush cat would turn into something that helped people relate to him more.

Lastly....

The day Himomu finally has too much of Naito's shit will be a magical one.

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

LIJ off to a decent lead there.

They do seem to be the faction with the least fodder, just 5 very solid members.
    Last edited by SirSam; 06-30-2018 at 02:47 AM.

@Sir_Samuel