NBA Discussion Thread

So two big signings in the NBA within a week of each other...

Lebron- 4 Year, 153 Million contract with the Los Angeles Lakers

Demarcus Cousins- 1 Year, 5 Million contract with the Golden State Warriors.

Here's my question- when will the NBA decide a hard salary cap is needed for each team? Fans are going to stop watching in droves if the Warriors just scoop up all the talent in the league. Even players are tweeting about being pissed off about this move.

I'm all for player choice and players getting the most money they can but i think the best solution besides a hard cap is that they eliminate some of the exceptions and you can only give guys who have been with the team 3 years or more MAX type money... They sorta have that but I would try to get rid of like Lebron being able to sign to the Lakers for that amount... KD to the Warriors.. and by getting rid of some of the exceptions, Boogie can't sign for 5 mil to the Warriors.

People might think this an anomly but the thing is, Players can dictate where they want to be to such a degree that they manipulate the system Where the Warriors are done , another super team will pop up and become the destination..

I don't love a hard cap however if you can't keep your own players. I don't want player movement to that extreme...Just controlled.

The thing the NBA themselves are going to have to start seriously considering though if they don't do a hard cap now, is how many fans are going to lose interest in the league?

I love the Celtics, their Red Auerbach years are amazing, but in modern times a team winning 10 straight championships would spell absolute doom to the leagues overall revenue. No suspense, people tune out. They absolutely, desperately need parody to retain viewership and move merchendise, and the way things are going, I may be a diehard Celtic fan but even I'm not dillusional. The Warriors have like 5 starters that are perrenial all-stars at this point. It's just obscene.

And teams that play way under the cap and are still playoff contenders like the Celtics are essentially punished for sound coaching/management skills in this environment. It is getting ridiculous. It's not looking like a competition anymore.

The revnue from the TV contracts is continuing to rise so I don't think the league has been hurt yet.. and if the rumors of Cousins having no offers due to his achilles and attitude are true, its just another situation where the Warriors got lucky..

Look, I'm all for a harder cap but not at the expense of losing your own guys cause you can only afford to pay for one guy and have to let a bunch of players walk.. Its not really the same as the NFL and NHL because you only have 5 players on the court, 10 to 11 max usually play in any one game and you're probably only paying 3 or 4 top money. If there's a better way to limit free agency though.. I'm there.

I'm a Celtics fan too and I don't want to lose Tatum and Brown cause we can't afford them both under a hard cap. We earned those players thru the draft and trades.

I'm for no cap whatsoever and a free market. The cap only exists to protect owners from their own stupidity.

No cap at all would make the situation way worse because there's not as many owners looking to win as it is and the way players have the leverage, they would just leave the small market teams and have zero incentive to stay. At least with what we have, if a player wants to make the most money they can, they have to stay with their team. Like The nuggets aren't signing their best guy to a large deal if there's no cap.

I agree with LK, no cap would be disasterous. Some owners just own a team for bragging rights. Some take it serious, and have loads more money then the other owners. Look at MLB- the Yankees. They won so many Championships because their owner had a boat load of money to throw at his team- which is fine, but when there is no cap it becomes an unfair playing ground. The problem arrises when one team starts doing that, ratings and sales dip. So it does affect the entire league negatively. They need to find or create a level playing field.

Maybe LK is on to something, where a player needs to play on the same team for 3-5 years before they are able to receive a max contract. Idk, part of me hates the thought of a hard cap for the same reason you mentioned. The Celtics made a series of excellent choices and have a handful of young stars that they wouldnt be able to keep otherwise. Something definitely needs to change though.

I don't know a lot about the NBA but we have no cap system here and in the 26 years of the Premier League the title has been won by just 6 different teams.

Man United built a dynasty that won four out of the first five, missed a year then won three in a row, then bounced back after a few years of finishing 2nd or 3rd to win another three in a row. Chelsea got bought by a Russian billionaire who pumped money into the side and turned them into a perennial top two team for more than a decade, over which time they added five titles. Arsenal are one of the best supported clubs in the country and were able to attract a lot of foreign stars to cause the occasional break in Man United's dominance. Man City were bought by a billionaire that pumped the team full of money and that has led to three titles in the last seven seasons. Blackburn were owned by a sugar daddy who pumped a lot of money into the club, delivered the title, but died before they could become a real challenger at the top, and the club fell apart for a long time. Leicester City are the only honest to goodness fluke of the lot - and even they are owned by Thai billionaires.

The NBA has had ten different champions in the same period, just to complete the comparison, and the number of titles is spread around the ten far more evenly.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The new rumor being Cousins offered to sign with the Lakers for the mid level exception before the Warriors but Magic said no. lol.

From what I've heard, LeBron wasn't that thrilled for Cousins. Cousins was the second player Magic called, which means Magic was interested, but LeBron wasn't. As for all this hard cap stuff, we are in a very interesting point in the NBA. Starting with the Heat in 2010, Millennial players have created a new culture in the NBA. Before, it was about having "my team," and winning as "the man." But millennials were brought up with group work, collaboration, teamwork, AAU basketball. The original Heat team saw players use their rights to create a super team. Where as the Thunder did that the old-fashion way, those players didn't like each other and created their own lane and are winning in their own way. You can't create new money rules to stop this, it's a sign of the generation that's dominating the game at this moment. The best you could do is get rid of free agency and go back to 1972. Players are taking less money to win. I don't think though the Warriors will last much longer. Already KD for his money, rumor is Klay will leave for his payday next year and others will as well. Eventually money will break these teams apart, but players are taking less money to start with putting them together, starting with the Heat.

Is anyone challenging GSW next year?

Genuine question, I don't know shit. Bookies seem to think not. They've got the Celtics as the most likely right now.

GSW win their 4th title in this dynasty. Usually after 4, some teams start to fall apart, and I do think that's going to happen too. The main story is not this season, but next off season.

Yeah, this season is a non-starter as the Dubs have arguably the strongest starting five the league has ever seen.

For me, I’m looking forward to the 76ers/Celtics battle in the East. #TTP

So who does everyone support, and if the title is already out of reach then what are your hopes for the upcoming season?

Lakers, and my only hope is adding LeBron will speed up the maturity of Kuz and Ingram. I don't have much expectations for Ball, if he ever fixes his shot then I'd be happy. But my only hope is that Ingram and Kuz come along and develop into all-stars and then we get Kawhi next year.

76ers.

Eastern Conference Champs.

Big bounce back season from Fultz and a seven series win over the Celtics in the Finals would be just lovely.

ps. Embiid DPOY and All-Star. Simmons all-Star.

Celtics. Finals or bust.

Yeah Warriors likely win it all, but Celtics would be best matchup against the Warriors imo and when you don't root for the Warriors you always have to have the goal of second place anyway.

Still bitter about Game 7 without Kyrie and Hayward... It wasn't Lebron beating them, it was the young guys not playing the way they could have. Such an frustrating game.

You not worry about Kyrie and Hayward disrupting the effectiveness of last years set up, or at the very least stunting Taytum’s development.

Cause that’s guy’s got perennial All-Star written all over him.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    You not worry about Kyrie and Hayward disrupting the effectiveness of last years set up, or at the very least stunting Taytum’s development.

Cause that’s guy’s got perennial All-Star written all over him.
    I would worry if Stevens wasn't the coach. Any of those guys can play off ball effectively and the way you can stagger minutes with the lineup will be pretty lethal.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    Celtics.
    Wasn't there another Celtics fan on the board? I seem to remember something like that before the reset anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Wasn't there another Celtics fan on the board? I seem to remember something like that before the reset anyway.
    Are you thinking of Charlie Mac? Kleck is a Celtic fan as well.