Thread: DDP

DDP

Here is a guy who only got respect from WCW. He didn't from WWE or tna in his time with them. Yet, he's taken addicts in his home to make them better. What a fucking entertainer. What a fucking man...What's your opinion of the master of the diamond cutter?

The Brain
    Just read something really interesting about DDP... for his whole career he avoided doing flat back bumps, which Flair also always avoided doing, and despite being a lot older than other guys his body held up amazingly well. At 46 years old he came into WWE with basically no health issues. They told him to change his bumping style, and in less than a year he was so beat up he had to retire. One more point towards the greatness of DDP, practicing a sustainable style as long as he could and remaining great late into his career, which is still impressive even though he started later in life than most. If WCW hadn't closed when they did, he would have been one of the main pillars they rebuilt around, alongside Goldberg, Booker, and Steiner.

I was a pretty big DDP fan back in 97/98, for what it's worth.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    He was already getting good in '95 and stayed one of the better guys in the company all the way to the end, I'd say.

I don't know the end so well. I lost my access to Nitro some time in 1999. I enjoyed him all the way through what I saw, though.

Sort of see where you're coming from with his getting good earlier but for me the key point was the turn. Like night and day before and after that turn, in my opinion. Serviceable midcard heel to the 'real' people's champion!

The Brain
    I won't say night and day, but the face turn was HUGE for him, and it was really organic too. A bit of forgotten genius with the early nWo.

Late WCW has a terrible reputation that's well earned, but if you want a snap shot of some real positives, check out DDP vs. Steiner on the last ever PPV. It's a wild match and makes me long for a world where WCW was able to rebuild around guys like that.

He also takes Bagwell to what I would call the singles match of his career at Souled Out '00, which is a low bar but 2000 WCW is the definition of a low bar.
    Last edited by mizfan; 07-17-2018 at 06:04 PM.

Seems like we might be the only DDP guys around, huh?

I found a shoot interview with him that I have on DVD the other day. Might have to dig that one out and spin it again at some point.