NJPW and ROH Present: G1 Supercard April 6th 2019 at Madison Square Garden

Yes, its happening. MSG, New Japan Pro Wrestling and Ring of Honor are working together to hold A big show at Madison Square Garden April 6th (The Night before Wrestlemania)

Its officially happening.

Suck it Vince lol.

I'm honestly floored. Didn't WWE successfully get ROH blocked? Weren't we just discussing that? I have to imagine that with this going through ROH (or more appropriately Sinclair) found some legal loophole that showed MSG and WWE acted in bad faith and MSG had no choice to relent, or after WWE had their show in MSG James Dolan (who is a snake in the grass if there ever was one) told Vince to go screw for playing hardball and brought ROH back in. Either way it's great for wrestling. With over 70K in New York for Wrestlemania both NXT and this show should sell out and the influx of New Japan talent should make this a must see show. This is great news!

WWE would be wise to move the NXT show to the Friday. Move the HoF, it is getting less and less interesting each year. No one would be mad to have to watch it on delay.

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

Chances Punk OR Bryan are wrestling at MSG the night before Wrestlemania?

I’d say that’s a hard 0% chance.

Oh that's a shame, I thought they might run NXT from MSG that weekend. Presumably that's going to go to the Barclays Centre.

I say that's a shame like this isn't super frigging cool, which it really is!

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Why? Bryan may be done with WWE in a month and a half and Punk is clearly done with UFC. Both would be big draws, and I wouldn't be surprised if money is thrown at them. At this point, I'd say it's at least 50/50.

Quote Originally Posted by Macho Mourn View Post
    WWE would be wise to move the NXT show to the Friday. Move the HoF, it is getting less and less interesting each year. No one would be mad to have to watch it on delay.
    Nah, Cult it right 70k wrestling fans in the area all hungry for wrestling. Both shows will sell out, and so will a half dozen smaller ones that same night.

The traditionalist in me is a little sad to see it, but good for ROH and NJPW.

Who's going to announce their card first? What is each promotion going to do to one up each other? I love the competition!

As much as I think the MSG show can sell out, I'm hoping they shoot for a homerun with the card and who they can get. Xan is right, Bryan and Punk are the biggest draws out there that this show could possibly have... I could def see Bryan being intrigued... and who knows with Punk.... but frankly, ROH only talent... people don't really care about them. ROH shows are filled because of Bullet club, The Bucks.. New Japan. They have some guys I like, Lethal for one and a few others but I think a boring, low effort card is not the way to go... and I don't see that happening so what are the options?

Option one, do Okada/Omega rematch

Option two, go after Punk if Bryan reups with WWE

Option three is build up Bryan for a match with Omega starting at Final Battle, culminating at this Supercard show if Bryan leaves WWE.

option 4 is you somehow get Punk and Bryan on the card to have big singles matches with Okada and Omega.. or if Punk doesn't want singles, throw him in with the Bucks.. since they are also very popular but there's not really another draw tag team... (unless New day leaves in a few months which isn't happening lol)

I can't see that not doing 20K
    Last edited by LK3185; 07-13-2018 at 12:14 PM.

The Brain
    Absolutely love this news, glad they were able to make it work. Apparently broadcasting from MSG costs a mint but if they've got the cash I still think it's worth it for the statement it makes alone. I do think both Punk and Bryan are a long shot at best, obviously they'd help a lot. But unless there's a major drop off in interest, I think they can hit it out of the park just using New Japan and (to a lesser extent) ROH guys.

I love that Cody basically kicked off all of this with All In. That might be an oversimplification but he really helped prove that there is a bigger demand for these big non-WWE shows than anybody previously thought.

What would be your main event Mizfan?

The Brain
    The most obvious answer is the one you hit on, Okada vs. Omega V. The hype around that series is so huge and I think it'll be just as hot, if not hotter, if they keep them away from now until then. After the G1 Special didn't quite sell out, I think it makes sense to hit with a really big gun here, unless they want to save that for a non-Mania affiliated show.

Have Ibushi/Omega happen there. That way you aren't wasting the G1 on a guy not signed full time and you get that match between them on a huge stage. That's of course, if Omega isn't thrown an offer his way he can't refuse.

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Heisenberg (if that's his real name!) and I have discussed this privately and I remain baffled as to why he thinks this, especially with Bryan. We're less than two months away from his deal expiring with WWE and there's still no agreement; the only thing currently pointing to his return are advertisements for a few dates after his deal is up, which means nothing due to the "card subject to change" rule. I don't know if he's leaving WWE but I have to think he's at least really considering it, especially with this news.

In fact this news is going to get a lot of wrestlers some good paydays, either by New Japan/ROH/Sinclair/AXS to lure them away from WWE or by WWE to keep them off this show. Bryan's value will be through the roof. The Bucks and Omega should now be able to cash in. And less we forget, WWE generally signs their people to three year deals and January of 2019 will have been three years since AJ Styles, Nakamura, Gallows and Anderson signed. Nakamura is the only one I could see leaving but even still, the threat of this show now gives AJ, Gallows and Anderson the opportunity to cash in with huge extensions. One way or another people are going to get paid. And that's an excellent thing for professional wrestling and most importantly the wrestlers.

Agreed with Cult. The wrestlers should win here and on top of WWE's rights deals, They have no reason not to back up the truck and pay people to stay... cause even though you got the deal, those same wrestlers know they can get paid elsewhere. I don't see Omega or the Bucks leaving even from a crazy offer.... They are content with what they are doing now and its not like if they left Jan 4 (when deals are up) that they would be in a big mania match..If anything, New Japan will pay them more. Its not like New Japan is owed by a broke company.. Sinclair owns ROH and they are a billion dollar company i believe. They have the money to keep these guys.

I just want a great main event and in some ways that's limited with in house talent because ROH only talent has already had matches with New Japan for years and they are not as hot.. Would love to see Bryan or Punk have a coming home story. They would be Indie heroes.
    Last edited by LK3185; 07-13-2018 at 03:02 PM.

Being a hero is exactly what a mark would want. It is also against what would be prudent. Bryan's new deal, when it happens, is gonna be huge. WWE and Bryan are playing the field. Similar to what the Bucks/Kenny are. They all know they will get huge paydays in the next 6 months. Bryan can leave, he'd be well within his rights to do so. But I am almost certain that WWE is gonna throw money at him, like I said about Omega, that he can't refuse.

Up to them to refuse it. But a dumb man would refuse the type of money I feel WWE will start handing out to top guys. I get they have reduced schedules and whatnot, but look at the counter point. Go for 3-5 year. Get well over a mil a year (I'm guessing over 3 each per year) and then when you are done, head back to the Indys for that last hurrah where you set your own dates and use that extra WWE fame to get an even bigger return once you get out.

Bryan can leave, but he'd be turning down money he won't make elsewhere. Unless he can wrestle 30 times a year a 100k per match.

If you bring up merch... WWE pays peeps on top of their contracts for merch. So that's a moot point.

i mean yeah money is a big factor but I know as well as you do that Bryan isn't the type to be dictated by money. Same as Omega since he could have left last time his deal expired. Will WWE throw money at these guys that others can't match? Most likely.. they'd be stupid not to... but that doesn't bring happiness for some.

And I'm not saying that Bryan or Punk for that matter want to be a hero but Punk could have stayed in WWE and still made millions.. even moreso now... He left. So obviously the money isn't that important.

You can call them stupid for not taking the money... but its still a possibility until it doesn't happen.

And because its a possiblity, i feel its worth talking about for main event options cause If Omega isn't in the main event, what's the draw?
    Last edited by LK3185; 07-13-2018 at 03:41 PM.

I see it as both companies wanting to get out front on that. Why tickets will be on sale in August. Even if they leave, people will have sent their money to NJPW/ROH. Doesn't matter who the draw is at that point.

So you're thinking they will sell out before a card is even announced? I know its Wrestlemania weekend but its a building that holds 20K. I'm not so sure. NJ/ROH events have happened for years.. Yeah MSG is special but i still think it will need a main event to push it to a sellout.

This isn't as bad of a thing for WWE as people think it is. People are gonna head to WM weekend anyways. This will force people to plan ahead for that. WWE is likely to gain more money from this even than to lose it if you look at it from the right perspective.

But, yeah, I expect for it to be well above 10k seats sold by the end of the year.

Which people? Nobody here said that. It's definitely shots fired by NJPW, but this one event isn't going to harm WWE in itself. It does show, though, that New Japan means business with competing and it's certainly possible that a station may see they sold out Madison Fucking Square Garden if it happens with an acclaimed and popular show and offers them a national television deal. This means it could be an eventual came changer, but it's certainly not an immediate one.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    So you're thinking they will sell out before a card is even announced? I know its Wrestlemania weekend but its a building that holds 20K. I'm not so sure. NJ/ROH events have happened for years.. Yeah MSG is special but i still think it will need a main event to push it to a sellout.
    Considering how fast All In sold out, I really think they'll do it. It's 'Mania weekend so the traveling crowd will already have their flights booked, plus this has the feeling of being an EVENT, a real happening, the first non-WWE MSG show in over 50 years. People will book tickets by the truckload just to say "I was there". The fact that it's NJ/ROH doesn't hurt but it's more than that, they're doing a great job riding the wave of interest that's been created.

Tickets went on sale this morning for Honor Club members and apparently they are selling insanely well. General Public goes on sale Friday and it's quite possible they could sell this out

Thinking big buyers for secondary market might inflate the show, moreso than All in because its MSG but then again, its been pretty quietly promoted so maybe not.

General public tix go on sale today and the expectation is a sell-out. That's mind-boggling if you think about it. Ring of Honor and NJPW selling out the Garden, which the WWE hasn't done in quite a while. I have a friend who's going and he got tix through Honor Club, and within the first couple of minutes he was already in the middle concourse in the corner 15 rows back. This is a remarkable achievement.

Read the setup was for 15K. If they actually get close to sell out this soon, i wonder if they open more seats

MSG capacity is a little over 20K. I could see it happening

EDIT: Based on a Matt Taven tweet, the show has sold out in its current configuration.
    Last edited by Rob S.; 08-10-2018 at 10:18 AM.

The Brain
    That is so awesome. Really happy for these guys, and for the weird boom we are having.

I'm not disputing the 'boom' but as I said in a tweet, I think alot of this has to with diehards willing to spend more money now to be at the big event. Love it for all involved, don't get me wrong and no rain on this parade, I just think its a dedicated wrestling base as a whole. Similar to what ECW had but even that had limitations.
    Last edited by LK3185; 08-10-2018 at 12:17 PM.

The Brain
    I don't disagree but ECW never drew anything remotely like this. It's not a traditional boom in the mainstream sense but it's a period where wrestling is thriving, and that's good enough for me!

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    I think alot of this has to with diehards willing to spend more money now to be at the big event.
    I think this is true. I don't think it signifies that newer fans are necessarily coming in at all.

BUT

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I don't disagree but ECW never drew anything remotely like this.
    This is also true. ECW only ever did around 6000 at their very best at the height of the boom, I think? And if you think about it, there's something kinda crazy about it. Hardly anyone in wrestling has ever had attendances to fill something like MSG. Sure, the territories used to draw but that was more on getting 5-10,000 people to come out time after time, not about putting 20,000 in one building at one time. So far as I know in the US the only people that managed it were the WWF/E, Crockett Promotions/WCW, The AWA, and World Class. Until now, that is.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Whether or not this means no fans are coming in is unknown to me. What this sell out does do however is confirm what I first started to believe when Lucha Underground got white hot three years ago before cooling off; there's a bigger market for non WWE wrestling out there then people realize. Whether it's because people really like Ring of Honor, really like New Japan, are really fucking tired of WWE and want something to compete with it or a combination of those reasons and more, we're discovering an untapped well of support for wrestling outside of Vince McMahon's confines. All In was the first sign of that and this is the second. Notice how both shows sold out with a combined one match announced between them; it tells you that people a) want to see these promotions/wrestlers succeed, b) want to be a part of history seeing the little guy take the next step and c) want to see some damn change in wrestling.

It's awesome. This will be a great thing for wrestling and as I said before a tremendous thing for the wrestlers. Between now and this MSG show Daniel Bryan, Kenny Omega, The Bucks, AJ Styles, Shinsuke Nakamura, Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows will have their contracts come up (note I didn't mention Cody because despite what everyone's saying, it was reported last year he agreed to a multi-year deal with Ring of Honor. He's locked in and not leaving). There could be more for all I know. Ring of Honor and New Japan will offer all those guys big money to appear on this MSG show and WWE will offer it to keep them off. Either way guys are going to get paid and that opens the door for more wrestlers to get paid. For that alone I'm over the moon at how successful this and All In are proving to be.

See, here's my only thought on a boom or people being sick of WWE or just wanting to see other people succeed or whatever.

All In created a movement that filled a 10k seat arena for this "once in a lifetime" event. I cannot take anything away from those guys because what they did was incredible, but they sold a a once in a lifetime event that people want to be a part of.

The ROH/NJPW show is happening on a weekend where tens of thousands of wrestling fans are flooding into a tri-state area that already has 20 million people and has been a Mecca of wrestling for four generations or more. Again, I would not try to take anything away from these guys but it's a "first" during wrestling's biggest weekend that people want to be a part of.

My question, before I decide personally whether I believe that these two shows are anomalies or that there's this huge groundswell of support for these guys or non-WWE wrestling: can they do it again? And again? And again?

If this is a novelty and "once in a lifetime" and a big event that people want to be a part of, there's nothing wrong with that and it's still wildly impressive. If they can repeat it on a semi-regular basis then we're talking something completely different.

The story when WWE first shitcanned ROH at MSG was that they were planning on using this as the first step to start running larger arenas. Maybe that means 5-7000 seaters regularly, maybe that means major NBA and NHL arenas, I have no clue. But if they turn around in Philadelphia two months later and put 2500 people into a 5000 seat arena, and 3000 in a 7000 seater in Detroit then I know where they stand. If they start regularly coming close to filling these mid-sized arenas, then we're on to something and there's a real "boom" and big desire for non-WWE wrestling outside of the hardcore fans.

I definitely think RoH is on an upswing. They just ran Best in the World in Baltimore this year and filled 4500 of an 6000 seat arena, their biggest attendance EVER in Baltimore. They're coming back in October, and tickets seem to be trending towards the same amount. In comparison, their previous biggest attendance wasn't even half of that amount.

See, that's awesome. If they can do that regularly for TV tapings and PPVs, that's off the charts good. That's running profitable shows in buildings that no other US indy could afford to walk in to.

Either way, this is fantastic. Real pro wrestling on holy ground. I'm going to have to buy Honor Club just to watch it, as I doubt I can afford the secondary market tickets. I don't care what WWE calls their show; this is the real Wrestlemania.

The Brain
    Definitely take Coach's point, but you gotta start somewhere. Love the momentum all these guys have, and thinking of stuff like more and more indy shows selling out well in advance (looking at GCW in particular) and stuff like MLW being on TV. Definitely feels like there is more demand and more room for people to actually make their living on wrestling.

Huge deal here. That's gonna be twice in a year where a production outside WWE gets a a huge huge crowd. couple that with the NJPW expansion so far working, I am liking this wrestling landscape more and more.

Not just for me as a viewer, but for those who work in the industry.

People are about to get PAID.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    My question, before I decide personally whether I believe that these two shows are anomalies or that there's this huge groundswell of support for these guys or non-WWE wrestling: can they do it again? And again? And again?
    This is the $64K question in my opinion and the answer will be determined by what usually moves business forward; results. How is this show going to go? And while this is great for both wrestling and the talent at the moment, the answer to that question is a big unknown.

I have no doubts on the All In show; Cody and the Bucks have done a hell of a job putting this thing together both in and away from the ring with all the deals, the card is shaping up nicely and should get even better once we finally know what Omega's match will be. I do not have the same optimism about this ROH/New Japan show yet. If Gedo is booking it then I will; no one is better than he is these days. If it's Delirious, not a chance. He was a good booker not too long ago but my goodness he's been bad these last few years; the only reason ROH has been able to not fall victim to his ways is because Bullet Club has pretty much propped them up. Otherwise he's bungled a lot of talented names that then left (Keith Lee, Donovan Dijak, Cedric Alexander and countless others were there and went nowhere), waited a little too long to pull the trigger on Dalton Castle, structures shows very oddly (I'm still amazed Kenny-Cody, the match that drew the house for Supercard of Honor this past year, went second to last because reasons) and just seems to overall be out of ideas. Maybe Gedo will book the show anyway and it won't be a big deal, but Delirious being involved worries me.

The point is, if ROH and New Japan can deliver the goods for this show then it very well may be the start of something, including more big arena shows and maybe a TV deal if some network thinks, between ROH's success and WWE's deal, that wrestling is marketable on a big scale again. But it's not a sure thing due to ROH's booking issues.