Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Summerslam 2018 - LIVE discussion thread

Next up for the WWE is the biggest party of the Summer: Summerslam!

Lot of rumours already circulating about this one. All discussion of the event to go here.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    Intriguing situation right now with this - Lashley, Reigns, Strowman, even Rollins could feasibly all be inserted into the picture to face Lesnar at 'Slam.

I would say this, but out of that bunch I think Rollins remains the most compelling character to topple the Beast.

Based on last night I think we get:

Lesnar vs Lashley for the Uni Title
    Rollins vs Zggler for the IC title with some sort of stip for McIntyre

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    Good shout on the IC. I guess they booked it last night to allow for a reason for it to go on another ppv cycle yet.

I think doing Lashley/Brock and Ziggler/Rollins again is pretty uninspiring... especially since Lashley is not going to be one to beat Lesnar... I guess if Braun leaves with the title that night it might work....

I also don't know what else could be gained from another Ziggler/Rollins match when clearly Rollins needs to move up.

Not to mention the fact that they have to cycle in some talent that's been sitting on the sideline.

Lashley vs Brock could be pretty interesting thanks to Paul Heyman. If he's allowed to cut half the promo on Lashley that he cut on him over Twitter, they'll build a pretty compelling match. Factor in the MMA background of both guys, and it could be a pretty hard hitting and believable match.

Unfortunately, I have this sinking feeling that they'll involve Roman in some way to make it a triple threat, and maybe even Braun calling his shot to make it a four way. They like Brock in multi man matches, they already know he and Braun and he and Roman can work well together and Lashley can eat a pin from either Braun or Roman to protect Brock somewhat should they want to keep him around or bring him back.

My ideal situation is Lashley pinning Brock clean in a singles match. My second favourite option is Braun doing the same. My least favourite, and I think most likely, option is Roman or Braun pinning Lashley in a four way.

But the promos on Lashley. OH the promos on Lashley! Now with the added ammunition that he couldn't make it to UFC, but Brock walks back in whenever he wants and is immediately in contention for the Heavyweight Championship.

With that said, Bobby's MMA record is better than Brock's, even if it was against lesser competition. I wonder if they do a Heyman turn, say they have Heyman turn on Brock, screw him out the title and become the talking piece of Lashley? Lashley is a legit fighter, can't talk, and you could pass him off as a full time Brock until Reigns beats him.

The Brain
    I doubt they'll do it, but a heel Lashely with Heyman as his mouthpiece is actually pretty appealing to me.

I would be shocked - still - if Lashley ends up facing Lesnar at Summerslam. It would be a pleasant shock, but I still think the Roman train is the only train in the city for Vince.

I'm holding out hope Strowman interferes in the Lashley-Roman match on RAW next week, beats the hell out of them all, and says he's cashing in at SummerSlam. I think it'd be a hell of a moment.

Strowman has definitely cooled off a lot due to goofy booking. I think he should follow the RVD example and announce his cash-in in advance rather doing the cowardly heel cash in. Unfortunately, I think the only reason they gave him the briefcase was so that he could cash it in on a victorious Roman at Summerslam.

The Brain
    If they do that way, it'll certainly make Strowman into the biggest babyface on the roster!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7AWibJM8YU

Who'd be down to see Almas as champ? Or too soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel 'Plan View Post
    Intriguing situation right now with this - Lashley, Reigns, Strowman, even Rollins could feasibly all be inserted into the picture to face Lesnar at 'Slam.

I would say this, but out of that bunch I think Rollins remains the most compelling character to topple the Beast.
    He's the only option that doesn't suck, actually. So, of course they went a different way.

The Brain
    Can't imagine Almas being champion already. If they had tried to ride his NXT momentum from the start maybe I could believe they'd try to rush him to that level, but they've basically ignored him so I can't see them jumping him up that fast. Maybe next year if they actually start using him and he gets over with the wider audience.

Well, jobbing him out to Styles is definitely not going to do him any favors...

That match certainly did him favors. He looked great and a lot of people saw him on a big stage for the first time. Of course AJ was going to win.

Who's likely to be AJ Style's opponent at Summerslam? A rematch against Rusev? Or maybe a heel Randy Orton?

Samoa Joe

Yeah Samoa Joe is very likely to get the title match.

So, Reigns Vs Lesnar V, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    So, Reigns Vs Lesnar V, then.

They will most likely add at least one more competitor- smart bet is Lashley. Otherwise his win at Extreme Rules means nothing, which is ridiculous. If it stays a heads up match Im curious to see how the crowd reacts to the match. Where is SummerSlam?

Well I can get behind Reigns if this means he will finally topple Brock.

I mean can he actually lose this? The brain says no, from my perspective there would be absolutely zero point in putting him in the main event at Summer Slam only to lose again, especially after how Mania and GRR went down.

Having said that I was 100% sure he was winning at Mania given the story that was presented and we all saw what happened there.

@Sir_Samuel

I mean he could lose definitely. WWE thinks Brock vs. Roman is a feud people want to see and/or they feel Roman is there biggest full time star... Never truly believed Lashley would win.

But Roman could def lose. They could have Braun cash in after the match... Hell they could have Brock retain cause they see value in him holding the title for his UFC fight.

The 50-50 booking is so dumb. Why even have that Extreme Rules match?

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    The 50-50 booking is so dumb. Why even have that Extreme Rules match?
    To create doubt.

Think about it - Reigns is widely reported to be the guy who is going to face Lesnar at Summerslam anyway. So if you put him in a one on one number one contenders match against anyone where a shot at Summerslam is on the line, most of the audience are just going to tune out because they think they know the outcome. But if you put him in a match for that shot against someone he's just lost to, people become interested because they think history might repeat.

At least, I would guess that's the theory.

Yeah I know it’s part of a story, but it’s a horribly written story.

Its also because you don't have your damn champion on TV regularly so you have to do something until you can build with Brock there. I don't want to Roman/Brock again but I also don't want to see Roman talking shit with Heyman cause he'll look bad... or in a mini feud that means nothing... Its a lazy story but by having contender matches, you add stakes no matter how small.

If they had a champion there every week, you don't have to jump through those hoops for drama

It's almost become like when The Outsiders spent months avoiding the Steiners in, I think, 1997 by basically never showing up and all the Steiners did was have number one contendership matches repeatedly with Harlem Heat. At least, that's how I remember it. And then when they did finally get a straight title shot, Nash bailed so they didn't even get to beat the champs but pinned Syxx. Nash returns and bang, the tag titles go right back to The Outsiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    They will most likely add at least one more competitor- smart bet is Lashley. Otherwise his win at Extreme Rules means nothing, which is ridiculous. If it stays a heads up match Im curious to see how the crowd reacts to the match. Where is SummerSlam?
    I highly doubt that is the case. All signs point, and have always pointed, that it is going to be Roman v. Lesnar, with Roman going clean to redeem his losses, and then Braun cashing in to start the next feud. It is sometimes impossible to teach an old dog new tricks. Vince McMahon is the old dog, his only trick is his 80's superhero story.
    Last edited by Alan; 07-24-2018 at 01:52 PM.

So yeah, Samoa Joe Vs. AJ Styles for the WWE title. Would like to see Joe get the belt, but I could easily see Styles breaking Punk's record.

For AJ to break that mark, he'd have to carry the title until the Rumble 2019. Not saying it won't happen but feel they were more concerned with Brock having the longest 'top title' reign

Aj vs Joe feels very much like AJ vs Nakamura.

'We know we're giving you something else you don't like in the main event, so here's something you can get excited for on the undercard'

Sensible booking, really.

AJ/Joe haven't wrestled in years and it feels fresh.... Even though I feel they've both lost a step, they are still very capable of having a good match. I just hope its booked well.

Not really that excited for Joe v AJ. Think it will be another Nakamura match for AJ where because they had really good matches in another promotion years ago, people expect them to do it again now. So it already has expectations it's gonna be near impossible to meet in the ring.

I'm not overly convinced Joe is still this world class in ring worker people seem to consider him as. He hasn't had any truly great singles match (if any?) since coming to the WWE. And as much as people want to throw the blame at Roman for the awful Backlash main event, I think that one is more on Joe as the veteran.

You know what I wish they would've done?

Lesnar/Styles title for title at Summerslam. Styles wins, stays on SD and vacates the Universal title. RAW holds a tournament, declares a new championship (RAW world heavyweight title) and has a 16-person tournament over a couple weeks, with the championship in HIAC on Sept 16
    Last edited by typeitinmaan; 07-29-2018 at 09:39 PM.

If they were going to do that I'd rather they just unified the belts again, to be honest.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Have Paul Heyman help Reigns and finally officially turn Reigns heel.

Just read a rumour report that the Summer slam main event might be really short or could be really long.

Smashing journalism, that.

Assuming that Reigns wins, a short quasi-squash of Lesnar is kind of a fascinating route to take. If Lesnar is on his way out as well, I can see WWE doing something like that to show that their guy is stronger and better than the new guy in UFC or whatever. Petty, but that's WWE.

I'm still hoping Lesnar has re-signed and this Heyman stuff is a tease for a split that won't happen.

I'm hoping Lesnar/Reigns isn't the main event. If for nothing else, to avoid a sour reaction to end the night.