Thread: Wrestlemania 35

Wrestlemania 35

Before the reset we had one hell of a Wrestlemania 35 thread going, even before Wrestlemania 34 was done and dusted.

So if you can remember what you said in the first version, or want to chat about where we'll be this time next April, have at it.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I think we are getting:

Rousey vs Charlotte as the main event
    Bryan (Rumble Winner) vs the Miz for the WWE Title
    Reings vs Strowman for the Universal Title
    Ziggler vs McIntyre grudge match
    AOP vs Reunited American Alpha for the RAW Tag Titles
    Rollins vs Ambrose for the IC Title
    Asuka vs Ruby Riott for Smackdown Women's Title
    Lesnar vs Lashley II
    Sanity vs Uso’s vs New Day for Smackdown Tag Titles
    Last edited by Powder; 07-16-2018 at 07:58 AM.

Man if they really were committed to Roman just running roughshod, make him a heel authority figure and just have him win by hook or by crook til Mania and then face Daniel Bryan. The ultimate story of people's champ vs. company's champ that you could probably ever tell. With the history between Bryan/HHH anyway, there's so many layers there.

^ I've heard that idea before and, handled well, it does look like a license to print money.

My preferences for main event matches are:

- Rousey (Raw Womens Champ) v Charlotte (Rumble Winner)
    - AJ Styles (WWE Champ) v Daniel Bryan (Rumble Winner)
    - Roman Reigns (Universal Champ) v. Seth Rollins v Dean Ambrose (those two have an iron man match to name the number 1 contender and draw)
    - Becky v Askua for the Smackdown womens
    - And maybe they should have the 1st women's tag belts crown here with Sasha & Bayley v Alexa & Nia

Then outside of that you've probably got to find a spot for all the part timers.

I have kind of warmed up to women's tag team titles. I think that would've absolutely helped Absolution, Riott Squad, Iconic Duo, and other teams who get called up in bulk but don't have a connection with the fans. It allows them to compete for championships while not being buried or jobbed out to the stars. As they succeed and gain traction, you move them into singles competition.
    Last edited by typeitinmaan; 07-25-2018 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by typeitinmaan View Post
    I have kind of warmed up to women's tag team titles. I think that would've absolutely helped Absolution, Riott Squad, Iconic Duo, and other teams who get called up in bulk but don't have a connection with the fans. It allows them to compete for championships while not being buried or jobbed out to the stars. As they succeed and gain traction, you move them into singles competition.
    I still think it was either planned then ditched recently or is happening soon. The other week on Smackdown Naomi and Lana made a truce out of nowhere (which hasn't been mentioned since) and another few random alliances formed (Dana & Fox, Jax & Natalya).

However I do think there are too many titles. I personally would firstly ditch the US title. There are only a handful of Smackdown males singles guys who get regular TV time and I'm pretty sure around 7 or 8 or so guys don't need two belts to fight over- especially when it's generally the same guys who win both- you lose a World title feud you go after the US (see Nakamura), you lose a US title feud you go after the WWE (see Rusev). Rubbish. NXT was fine for years with 3 titles with probably an even bigger roster. This Paul Heyman 2002 "Smackdown Six" era that people rave about had no midcard belt and that worked fine for them (in an era with shorter matches, the Smackdown 6 doubled as the tag & midcard division, and the women's division was pillow fights between Torrie Wilson & Dawn Marie)

Thing is, if they were to introduce tag titles now Bayley and Sasha would probably win them.

My theory is that they'll go for the tag titles, have Bayley and Sasha win them. Becky wins the Smackdown one. And then somehow Charlotte gets the Raw title while those three hold those belts. Then all of the Horsewomen are champions at the same time. WWE love that kind of thing.

I just want one baller 20 minute Bayley Vs Sasha singles bout with a defined face Bayley and heel Sasha on the main roster, showing what they can do. But I don't think we'll get that.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Thing is, if they were to introduce tag titles now Bayley and Sasha would probably win them.

My theory is that they'll go for the tag titles, have Bayley and Sasha win them. Becky wins the Smackdown one. And then somehow Charlotte gets the Raw title while those three hold those belts. Then all of the Horsewomen are champions at the same time. WWE love that kind of thing.

I just want one baller 20 minute Bayley Vs Sasha singles bout with a defined face Bayley and heel Sasha on the main roster, showing what they can do. But I don't think we'll get that.
    A few days ago I was guessing they would announce the tag titles on Raw with the tournament final happening at Summerslam with Sasha & Bayley v Charlotte & Askua being the final.

Can't see Charlotte getting the Raw women's belt until at least Wrestlemania now. But the Sasha Bayley feud seems to rewritten on a weekly basis and why its had has no direction the idea last week might be them to go after tag belts to Sasha turning and it being a Summerslam match come Monday

Few months further on, anyone think they know how this card is going to take shape?

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    These bloody rumours of The Rock coming in to wrestle Reigns have me tearing my hair out. Now there's stuff flying around about Michaels wrestling again too?! Just when you think we're getting over that first god damn crest of the mountain that is part-timers....

'Mania 35 should be headlined by The Shield in a Triple Threat. I don't think there's any doubt about that. It just makes sense and is a match worthy of the spot. But seeing as they're all under 40 and wrestle full-time, no chance of that happening.

Anything beyond it, too, seems to be hard to predict right now.

I'm okay with The Rock wrestling. I am NOT okay with The Rock losing to Roman, but what can you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel 'Plan View Post

'Mania 35 should be headlined by The Shield in a Triple Threat.

Yep, this 100%

Imagine The Shield vs some form of Bullet Club - AJ, Balor.... throw in someone else of note (probably Nakamura, because, fuck history)

Rather than what I think we'll get, what I want to get:

Shield Triple Threat for the Uni title
    Becky vs Ronda, title for title
    Bryan vs Miz for the WWE Championship
    The IIconics vs LayCool because if they're not doing this at Evolution they're pissing me off

I couldn't give a toss about what happens with anyone else on the roster. Is that bad? I mean, Styles doesn't even get a bout here and I've enjoyed what he's doing even if WWE can't give him a half decent clean win while he's champion. And, I mean, one of those bouts is highly unlikely because I think Layla is completely uninterested in coming back.

There are only two matches I want to see The Shield wrestle this year either three man tag v The Elite (Omega & The Bucks) or a triple threat for the Universal Title.

I'd also accept Reigns v Strowman for the Universal Title with Strowman finally earning it and Seth & Dean getting a 1v1 match but it is a distant 3rd.

I do not need Roman to go against another dude years past his prime. The guy is getting hung out to dry year after year with the way they use him (even though he is 'over-pushed').

If he is still champ I'd also love to see AJ v Cody, WWE Title v NWA Title.

Othet cool matches they could DO with AJ.

Demon Balor v AJ
    Orton v AJ

I think the Bryan v Miz almost writes itself particularly if Miz somehow sneaks his way into a title ruin at Royal Rumble. I'd also love Bryan v full diabolical heel Almas.

Can we get Revival v Undisputed Era or Moustache Mountain somehow, I don't care what titles just get it on there.

I do like the idea of Becky v Rhonda too, badass v badass, give Charlotte a smaller stage this year and let the light shine on someone else.

Finally Drew Gulack (c) v Mustafa Ali for the Cruiserweight Championship with Ali finally winning the belt and taking up the mantle as the face of 205 Live (which he arguably already is but it would solidify the story arc from extra in the original tournament to top off the card).

@Sir_Samuel

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    Can we get Revival v Undisputed Era or Moustache Mountain somehow, I don't care what titles just get it on there.
    To be honest, The Revivial vs Any Tag Team Not On Raw would be killer. Smackdown has every current team I want to see The Revival face.

I'd also except The Revival vs D-Generation X as revenge for the Raw 1000 show, where it's just Dash and Dawson breaking both of HBK's legs.

EDIT: Well, with Reigns now out of the picture, that shakes things up a bit. Suspect it means Strowman gets the title at Crown Jewel and they run with him as champion into Mania, but there's nothing quite like something of this nature to make Vince jerk a knee and lob a load of extra cash at someone - could we see Lesnar back as champion?

Who would you have face Strowman at Mania for the title assuming he's still champion?
    Last edited by Oliver; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:41 AM.

Just rephrasing the question above with the new look, who do you run Brock against assuming he's still champion?

That is assuming the plans are completely changed, of course. I know plenty of people were angling for The Shield triple threat. Not me, I hate triple threat and four way style matches, but it was a popular thing out there. But I assume there's some recognition that Ambrose and Rollins by themselves aren't going to get the nod and the match looks Wrestlemania 'bang' without the third member in there. So what do you do instead?

Throw a shitload of money at Punk and finally give him his WrestleMania moment and main event.

And I am not being hyperbolic.

• Strowman just got squashed and will get a rematch soon and then that is played out.
    • HHH, Taker, Kane and HBK are all too old and hurt.
    • Bryan, Miz, Rollins, and Ambrose all have other stories to tell.
    • They just pulled Styles, from that match, so he should be out for a Mania match against Lesnar
    • Joe is not credible enough
    • Orton...ugh, please no
    • And there is no one else.

So pull the trigger and put your tail between your legs, call him and have Punk be the surprise 30th entrant into the Rumble and win it to challenge Lesnar.

Literally everyone would be happy. Punk gets the title, and a Mania main event, and the fans would lose their shit.
    Last edited by Powder; 1 Day Ago at 12:19 PM.

It can be Drew Macyntire if they keep building him up.

Becky.

Ok, more seriously - I can see it being Drew. Assuming the Saudi/Rock stuff doesn't happen. I don't think I'd realised Drew was unbeaten on the main roster since his return, which I read the other day. At least, unpinned or something - he's lost tag bouts with Ziggler taking the fall.

I mean, if we're talking Main event of Wrestlemania, why not Becky Lynch vs. Ronda Rousey? They were likely doing Charlotte/Ronda but now that's off the table. Not likely to put Shane in the main event with Bryan so that leaves Brock.. Powder is living in fantasy land if he thinks Punk would come back to work Brock again even in the main event. He's so far removed from wrestling, that i don't think the dollar figure would be worth it.

Rock has movies and Batista isn't loved like that.. Seth and Dean likely goes on for a while into mania.. I say put Ronda in the main event and treat her like the star they think she is. Make history. WWE loves that shit so why not with Becky too who will still be the hottest thing going buzz wise.

I'd do Becky Vs Ronda too, in all honesty.

They've already done the women headlining a pay per view (Sasha Vs Charlotte HiaC - right?) so the next milestone for WWE is probably a traditional big four main event - although I suppose you could claim the Rumble on a technicality? Personally I thought Becky and Ronda were going to get that this weekend, but with the short notice change I'm not so sure it'll happen so Mania is probably their next shot at it.

I'd be on board with that for sure, it's the only thing they have going on that really interests me at all right now. I'll believe they are going to pull the trigger on the women highlighting 'Mania when I see it, though. Not saying that it definitely won't happen, just that I don't think I can believe it until it's locked in.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    I mean, if we're talking Main event of Wrestlemania, why not Becky Lynch vs. Ronda Rousey? They were likely doing Charlotte/Ronda but now that's off the table. Not likely to put Shane in the main event with Bryan so that leaves Brock.. Powder is living in fantasy land if he thinks Punk would come back to work Brock again even in the main event. He's so far removed from wrestling, that i don't think the dollar figure would be worth it.

Rock has movies and Batista isn't loved like that.. Seth and Dean likely goes on for a while into mania.. I say put Ronda in the main event and treat her like the star they think she is. Make history. WWE loves that shit so why not with Becky too who will still be the hottest thing going buzz wise.
    That may be true that I am living in fantasy land, but it also makes sense. I do not disagree at all, that in all likelihood, Punk will never come back, but that option will forever be discussed, and I would be remiss if I didn't mention the 1% possibility.

But also looking at this year's options for the Universal title, there is no one that stands out to take on Lesnar. I believe it would have been a Shield Triple Threat and Drew vs Strowman as Lesnar would have been gone by then. But since Reigns' announcement the plans are all screwed up. Lesnar re-signed through Mania and we had to have Strowman vs Lesnar at Crown Jewel and we will get another 1-1 match between the two at Hell in A Cell and possibly at the Rumble.

So who does that leave? As others have suggested, Drew McIntyre, but I just do not see it. Not yet. I think the better story to tell with him is the break up with Ziggler. Let that happen beginning in the Rumble, the seeds have already been planted on RAW last week, and then have Ziggler eliminate Drew to cause the full rift and Ziggler's face turn. Then they battle at Mania where Drew wins, and then he can be the next challenger after Mania for the Universal Title, as whomever beats Lesnar will be a face, and Drew will be the next big heel challenger.

I do not think that Drew has enough status in the company yet to warrant a Main Event shot at Wrestlemania against Brock Lesnar where he wins the Universal Title. Not to say that in 2020 he couldn't, but not currently.
    Last edited by Powder; 17 Hours Ago at 09:47 AM.

I don't know if you'd be remiss for not mentioning a 1% chance as that is remote enough to ignore it. But that said, I don't disagree with you. It makes sense in a lot of ways, and is one of the few things out there that would be genuinely big enough to make some real noise.

I just don't see it happening.

There are reports out there that Becky and Ronda is now 'the plan'. Of course, plans can change, but I may have to eat my words.

I don't think Rollins/Brock is an impossibility. The question there is how truly over Rollins is and how over he will be in 3 months. I'm on record saying I'm unconvinced that he's a top, top guy - a guy that can headline a WrestleMania as a babyface - but I could also see him getting hot with the right series of wins (including the Rumble).

I don't think Cena/Brock is an impossibility. With Reigns out, Cena just became that much more valuable to the WWE. It may not be a well that fans want the WWE to go back to, but the story writes itself with Brock representing the evil, indifferent part-timer and Cena being the guy who still represents the WWE Universe.

Is there really no chance of Batista coming back? He's a bigger star now than he was in 2014. If they can get him, I think he can be inserted somewhere - though I don't necessarily see him facing Lesnar as Batista has been pretty clear about wanting to work Triple H.

To me, Rock/Brock is also a possibility if schedules and money work out. I mean, why not? It certainly has marquee value.

If they can find a way to get the title off Brock, maybe Shane McMahon fights him. It sounds like an incredibly stupid idea, a one-sided disaster and potentially public execution...but so did the Taker/Shane Hell in a Cell and we've seen Shane take incredible risks before. Could he even survive Suplex City? I don't really want to know, but I'll admit, I'd watch it to find out.

The SmackDown side of things is an even bigger question mark to me as I can't even guess as to how Daniel Bryan's title run is goin to play out.

Shane and Brock do have unfinished business from a few years ago, too.

So what the Consensus is:

A) Lesnar vs McIntyre
    B) Lesnar vs Rollins
    C) Lesnar vs Cena
    D) Lesnar vs Shane
    E) Lesnar vs The Rock

None of those sound good. Cena is practically gone, and out of wrestling shape, and I doubt that he will leave Hollywood after the Holidays to get back into the gym to get back into wrestling shape, and to knock off the ring rust. The payday is too great, also Hollywood remembers what happened to the Rock a few years ago against Cena where he tore his abdomen. So a studio won't give him the time off, and thus that also rules out the Rock for the same reasons.

Shane. Please god no. Shane will get seriously hurt by being a 50 year old taking German, after German, after German, and who will believe that Shane can do any damage to Lesnar. That is worse than Taker selling for Shane.

Rollins could pull it off, but his story with Ambrose should culminate with a 1 on 1 Mania match.

McIntyre would have to turn face, and I don't see it happening any time soon. Also he is too new to the company for a main event at Mania. Yes, I know, it is his second time around, but he still feels very new to the company, like Jinder. Jinder got his run over the Summer, where it was not a Wrestlemania main event spot. McIntyre should be built up during 2019 with a possible title tun over the summer of 2019 to gain status with the company and audience and then be in a Main Even at Wrestlemania 36 in 2020.

So I am still at a loss, for who is the best option for Lesnar. My idea to contact Punk and pay him what ever he wants, with lots of incentives to headline Wrestlemania in NYC sounds better every minute regardless of how improbable it may be.

There's also Batista if they were willing. And an outside chance of doing Balor if they had him heated up. He's a face, he's never had his chance at Lesnar and could be over enough.

The more i think of it, the more I think Drew/Brock isn't happening for mania. It doesn't HAVE to be the main event, none of these Brock matches need to be, but Brock isn't likable anymore so anybody that goes against him, has to be a face or someone fans can rally behind (ala Bryan)

The whole Roman Reigns thing has switched things cause you could say before that, Brock was on his way out..Now he's got be brought back into the fold and a match built for him.

Me Personally, as a Brock fan, but bored with his run lately.. The only match I wanted to see him have is happening on Sunday. Nothing is going to get me excited for a Brock match in 2019 except maybe Matt Riddle but doubt he'll get that kinda of push.

Already seen Brock vs. Punk, Cena and Rollins. When those matches were at peak performance..

Same with Rock only worse cause the last time they were in the ring together was almost 20 years ago.. i don't need to see it again

Shane is actually an intriguing option if you put aside that Shane might die lol.. I would find it amusing if nothing else.

But no, i wouldn't be into any of them.
    Last edited by LK3185; 11 Hours Ago at 04:12 PM.

Who says Brock has to show up to ‘Mania with the title? Could he not lose it at, say, Elimination Chamber from interference of his Mania opponent a la HBK/Taker several years back? Maybe put the title on Ambrose that way and run Ambrose/Rollins for the title at Mania?

I have to wonder if Brock refuses to do Chamber matches.. but that's a good idea.

Macyntire doesn't need to be face. Lesner seems to be neither face nor heel, he is just there. I mean Lesner is facing Bryan this weekend who is now a heel himself.

But Bryan is a guy that people will get behind against Brock. Its an easy sell. Drew/Brock is not unless they want Drew to just demolish him.

I have to wonder if Brock refuses to do Chamber matches.. but that's a good idea.
    I wouldn’t imagine it’s not so much he refuses to do Elimination Chamber... just the story has never been there for it. Remember, he did do Hell In A Cell since with Taker.

But Bryan is a guy that people will get behind against Brock. Its an easy sell. Drew/Brock is not unless they want Drew to just demolish him.
    Macyntire can demolish Brock. I don't think Brock cares if he gets demolished or not, as long as the pay is worth it. I think they could easily sell Macyntire as someone who can demolish Brock if they start booking him correctly after Survivor Series.

He's being booked correctly. What i'm saying is, if you have Drew demolish Brock... just total squash.. that's great if you're not using Brock again but you are... so in selling that match, Brock has faced Roman, AJ, Bryan, Stowman... and now Drew.. at wrestlemania in the Main event? I can't see it.

Rumor now is AJ and Brock will happen at mania

He's being booked correctly. What i'm saying is, if you have Drew demolish Brock... just total squash.. that's great if you're not using Brock again but you are... so in selling that match, Brock has faced Roman, AJ, Bryan, Stowman... and now Drew.. at wrestlemania in the Main event? I can't see it.

Rumor now is AJ and Brock will happen at mania
    Would it be for the title? Or is Brock expected to drop the belt before then? If so, the issue becomes to who?

Legit question - did I miss a report that said Drew McIntyre's merch was flying off the shelves? That his NXT run was so widely beloved that Vince and HHH tagged him as The Next Guy? That the internet is collectively losing their minds over this guy beyond just wrestling forum dwellers from the UK?

I'm sorry, I just don't see how he can be in this conversation when, last I checked, RAWs ratings are on a downward trend for the past few months (since he and Ziggler became the top heels) and he hasn't even main evented a B-level PPV in that time. The guy wasn't even on the Crown Jewel show, right?

I like Finn Balor, but he's in the same boat.

As long as we're throwing out random names that could face Lesnar, why not include Bray Wyatt? Or, better yet, Andres Almas? I mean, I get it, I know why people (mostly limeys) want Drew McIntyre to be a big deal, or why NXT die-hards are saddened by Almas' main roster run, or why fantasy-bookers love them some Bray Wyatt, but is there any real evidence that any of these guys are going to get that big push in January/February when they're midcard acts in November? For the biggest show of the year? The one that needs to pack 50,000+ fans?

The thing you've missed is that they are likely positioning Drew for a top level run - he's not been pinned/submitted on the main roster, he's lined up to be against Braun once the Survivor Series 'can they co-exist?' stuff is all over and essentially be the featured feud through at least the next PPV cycle. The signs are there that he'll be a big deal, the rumours are out that he'll have a big 2019 - it's jumping to conclusions, but WWE have fucked basically anyone else on Raw up with 50:50 booking.

Realistically, the only other option is probably Braun for the third time.