Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrestlemania 35

Fair enough. I'm a skeptic. I'm not a Drew hater, though I can understand if my comments could be interpreted that way.

I've been wrong before. For every Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, or Jericho that many of us watched in 91' or 92' or 97' (in Jericho's case) and knew "This guy is special. He's going to be a main event World Champion," there's a Bradshaw who I never thought would get any sort of singles push (let alone as the top heel of a brand). I would also admit that I was wrong about Nakamura - I thought he'd be a much bigger star than he ended up being - and, in 2014, I would've put every dollar I have in Dean Ambrose stock and I don't think he peaked the way many of us expected. Bad booking, injury, etc. are easy to point to, but ultimately, the end result is the same: the guy many of us thought would be a transcendent mega-star is really just another wrestler.

To me, Drew McIntyre looks like a guy who will end up being just another wrestler. Time will tell.

I think the the disconnect is thinking that someone who is deemed to be superstar talent has to be in the big match at Wrestlemania.

Sure, it helps but if tickets are already moving well, its either because A. The leaked match about Becky and Ronda or just as likely B. The WWE Brand itself is big enough, with hardcore fans that want to spend money on Mania that whoever main events the show is secondary. Do I think Drew can be an all time great? Probably not. I do think he's gotten much better as a talent and he is getting somewhat of a push lately. I don't see him facing Brock for various reasons but I also don't think it matters that much in the end.

What my overall point is, Drew might be just another wrestler but I actually think Vince wants that... He wants the brand to be bigger so that when he loses talent, he's not losing much really..
    Last edited by LK3185; 11-16-2018 at 11:23 PM.

I think everybody was wrong about Nakamura's, in fairness. I'm still not sure why he hasn't worked out as a top WWE star.

I think what's really interesting about Drew is that he's the same age as Roman. Now, I know he hasn't had the 3/4 years of really favourable booking behind him, but if WWE gets behind him they're really looking at someone with the same length of career ahead of them as Roman would have.

I don't know, I think with Roman's illness leaving the Universal Championship spot at Mania a bit more open and probably putting any long written plans from WWE in the bin it makes the door wide open for anyone to break down. The Rumble could be really interesting next year.

Based on early reports.

Cena's match status is up in the air.
    Sullivan is up in the air.
    Taker has no plans as of yet.
    Rousey's last match or second to last match.
    Does Lesnar's contract go through WM?

This year's Wrestlemania has never felt so open and what are the plans? Every other year, by this time, we all kind of knew what was going to happen.

As much as I dislike the real soap opera-y stuff in wrestling, I could get behind a personal and bitter Bryan-Cena feud with Bella drama at the center to fuel the fire. It’d be a great match.

Why have Bella drama behind it? Just have Cena show up on Smackdown, remind Bryan how he (Cena) hand-picked him to be his opponent at SummerSlam '13, and say something like "You were the best at that time, that's why I picked you... now you're just a douche." Take it from there with neither of the Bellas involved.

Interesting that Bryan might be pencilled in to face a returning/non-regular superstar at Mania. Taker seems unlikely, Batista would just be weird, Owens and Zayn seems unlikely to get a big Mania match even if they do return from injury in time to build something up, Cena could be interesting but I've got no interest in watching him wrestle right now if I'm honest, and I can't see Wyatt returning to have a top tier title program for Mania.

Which, from the list of names I've seen, leaves us with Angle - who if I'm being honest I don't think should be getting in the ring, even if this would be a dream match.

I wonder if they have something more interesting up their sleeve. Personally I want to see Bryan vs EC3, as I've said before.

I worry a bit about EC3's standing after this past RAW and Smackdown. Seems like Vince was telling Triple H "none of these callups impress me, so bring your best and impress me."

Quote Originally Posted by meandi View Post
    Why have Bella drama behind it? Just have Cena show up on Smackdown, remind Bryan how he (Cena) hand-picked him to be his opponent at SummerSlam '13, and say something like "You were the best at that time, that's why I picked you... now you're just a douche." Take it from there with neither of the Bellas involved.
    Because it's easy heat. They lived as family basically for a couple years. Lots you can do with it.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 02-21-2019 at 10:25 AM.

I live on Long Island, roughly 40 miles away from Met Life Stadium, and every now and then we get April snow and cold weather. I am sort of hoping that on April 7th, we get unusually cold weather with some snow.

I am not hoping for this for the fans, but just to see what the WWE would do in that situation. I know they have the tent above the ring, but it wouldn't matter. There is no retractable roof, and what would guy who wear only trunks do if the weather is in the 30s?

This is also why I want the Superbowl to be outdoor, cold weather stadiums. Let the game be played in the elements as it is every other game of the year.

Giving this a bump as there's no more PPV outings between now and Wrestlemania 35....

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

So I guess we get another Veteran match at mania this yeah with Beth Phoenix...yawn.

Let's take a look:
    A way past his prime Batista vs a freshly heeled up HHH.
    Nattie and Beth vs Nia and Tamina
    Some sort match including the part timer John Cena - looks like vs Joe...ok

Also, I would not completely rule out a Taker match. He most likely WILL NOT wrestle, but I would not rule is out just yet.

Three matches that include wrestlers that are not on the roster or at least full time. I know, I know, "That's what Wrestlemania is about", but no. Why take spots or main card appearances away from your existing talent? I can't explain it, but it really is getting to me.

With that said, the card looks to be so far, in no particular order:

HHH vs Batista
    Charlotte vs Becky vs Rousey
    Rollins vs Lesnar
    Kofi vs Bryan (which may turn into a fatal fourway with Owens and Ali)
    Asuka vs ??? Mandy ???
    The Revival vs Roode and Gable
    Nattie and Beth vs Nia and Tamina
    The Usos vs The Hardys
    Joe vs Cena - probably
    Shane vs The Miz
    Balor vs Lashley
    Roman vs Ambrose in a goodbye match - other than that, I have no idea for either guy
    Strowman vs McIntyre vs Corbin
    The New Day (Big E and Woods) vs Rusev and Nakamura
    Sasha and Bayley vs ???? Riott Squad ???
    Some sort of Cruiserweight title match

ARMBAR or Tag Team Battle Royal

What else did I leave out? But that is a lot of matches and a few will be on the pre-show, but damn.
    Last edited by Powder; 03-11-2019 at 09:52 AM.

I'm thinking Nattie and Beth are in the match against Sasha and Bayley. Have no issue with it.

Yeah, I also figure that Roman vs Dean will be added to the card. It'll be a really good match between two close friends that I'm sure the crowd will be in to, and a way for Roman to give his buddy a sendoff.

Assume there doing a mens and womens battle royal again?

Strowman vs McIntyre vs Corbin, and I see these three maybe being folded into the ARMBAR. Think the Raw tag titles might end up with Black/Ricochet involved. Possible multi team match.

Edit: there's also the Kurt retirement angle, but that seems to have died off.
    Last edited by Mr Chop; 03-11-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Or wait until SummerSlam due to how packed this card actually is.

Shane mcMahon vs The Miz
    Randy Orton vs AJ Styles
    Batista vs. HHH
    Ronda Rousey (c) vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Becky Lynch for the Raw womens championship
    Seth Rollins vs. Brock Lesner (c) for the Universal Championship
    Beth Phoenix and Natalya vs. Tamina Snuka and Nia Jax (and possibly Sasha Banks and Bayley (c) for the womens tag team championships)

This is what the card is shaping up to look like.

Other possibilities are:

The USOs vs. The Revival in a tag team championship unification match. This is not a prediction, rather something I think should happen. If the womens tag championships is for all 3 brands, then I see no reason why we need 2 sets of mens tag titles
    Some match involving The Undertaker. Not sure who is worth putting in a match against him that isn't already involved in something.
    Kofi Kingston vs. Daniel Bryan (c) for the WWE championship

Angle's retirement match is on there now, and I wish so much he would handpick Chad Gable to be his opponent.

So the now updated card is this:

Confirmed:

HHH vs Batista - No Holds Barred
    Charlotte vs Becky vs Rousey - RAW Women's title
    Rollins vs Lesnar - Universal Title
    Angle Retirement vs ??? (maybe Cena)
    Shane vs The Miz

Most likely:

Reigns and Ambrose vs McIntyre and Corbin
    Orton vs Styles
    Kofi vs Bryan (which may turn into a fatal fourway with Owens and Ali) - WWE Title
    Asuka vs ??? (probably Mandy Rose, maybe a triple threat with Sonya Deville) - Smackdown Women's Title
    The Revival vs Roode and Gable vs Black and Riccocet - RAW Tag Titles
    Nattie and Beth vs Nia and Tamina vs Sasha and Bayley - Women's tag Titles
    The Usos vs The Hardys - Smackdown Titles
    Joe vs ??? (maybe Cena) - US Title
    Balor vs Lashley - IC Title
    The New Day (Big E and Woods) vs Rusev and Nakamura

Probably:

ARMBAR and a Women's Battle Royal

That is 16-18 matches. How many will be on the pre-show?

Also, this leaves Strowman to be in a skit with the SNL Weekend Update guys....that is sad that it looks like he is not going to get a match.
    Last edited by Powder; 03-12-2019 at 07:27 AM.

I could see one of the secondary singles titles and/or tag titles not being defended on the card (like the one year the Usos had the belts and did nothing the one year). I think Rusev/Nak/New Day either get thrown in the battle royal or in a multi-team tag match.

I think the IIconics might end up in that womens tag as well.

Jesus, if they do a 16-18 match Mania card I'm not even going to start watching it.

Buddy is defending the cruiserweight title on the card, for the record - it's what the 205 Live tournament is all about. Hopefully that makes the main card, because Buddy has been putting in work over the past year and is probably the best wrestler on the roster right now.

I would say its probably going to be a 14 or 15 match card where 4 matches are on the preshow. That leaves you the 5 hour window for 11 matches for Mania proper. They will likely do that in about 4 hours. Not that crazy for them lol.

So then from my hypothetical, but highly reasonable and probable suggested card above, what matches do you think would be left out or cut or combined?

In my opinion, the Shane vs Miz and HHH vs Bats should not be on the card. Why do we need three 50 year olds competing in lieu of current talent?

AND Bats hasn't had a match in years, and is noticeably much smaller, HHH is just off an injury, and well...Shane.
    Last edited by Powder; 03-12-2019 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    So then from my hypothetical, but highly reasonable and probable suggested card above, what matches do you think would be left out or cut or combined?

In my opinion, the Shane vs Miz and HHH vs Bats should not be on the card. Why do we need three 50 year olds competing in lieu of current talent?

AND Bats hasn't had a match in years, and is noticeably much smaller, HHH is just off an injury, and well...Shane.
    The IC title likely won't be defended on the main show.. if there are battle royals that won't be on the main show either. New day vs. Rusev/Nakamura is not happening at mania. Could see SD titles defended on preshow with more than 2 teams involved.

it could be a 16 match card with a 12 main card proper. Still easily workable in their 4 and half hours of main show.

its gonna be a long show lol. That's what mania is.

New update after Smackdown:

Confirmed:

Angle Retirement vs ??? (maybe Cena)
    Shane vs The Miz
    Kofi vs Bryan - WWE Title (ok, all but confirmed)
    Orton vs Styles

Most likely:

Reigns and Ambrose vs McIntyre and Corbin
    Asuka vs ??? (probably a triple threat with Mandy Rose and Sonya Deville) - Smackdown Women's Title
    The Revival vs Roode and Gable vs Black and Ricochet - RAW Tag Titles
    Nattie and Beth vs Nia and Tamina vs Sasha and Bayley - Women's tag Titles
    Joe vs ??? (maybe another 4 way with Truth, Rey and Andrade, BUT I am predicting Owens) - US Title
    The New Day (Big E and Woods) vs Rusev and Nakamura vs the Bar

Where does this leave Kevin Owens? I say an Owens/Joe match at Mania for the US title.

And I think that the WWE is going to keep Reigns in tag matches though Mania to get his stamina back up, and to shake the rust off.
    Last edited by Powder; 03-13-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Honestly, I think it's an inherent problem with the product that they are always trying to do too much at the moment, and it's particularly true at Mania.

From what you posted, I'd be taking off the Angle retirement (I don't see why he needs a special attraction farewell match), Reigns/Ambrose vs McIntyre/Corbin (ultimately a throwaway tag that could just as easily be done on the Raw after Mania or between now and then), Orton vs Styles (I just don't give a shit about it), Asuka vs ? (no build, no point, no viable challengers), New Day vs Rusev/Nakamura (same reasons as Reigns/Ambrose vs McIntyre/Corbin). I'd change the Raw tags match so it wasn't just a FastLane VROOM VROOM rematch - maybe just Roode vs Gable there - and the women's tag so it didn't involve two shit wrestlers (Nia and Tamina) and two 'veterans' (Nattie and Beth), and instead gave us IIconics in a good position, and make the WWE Title match a three way with Owens, the US one just straight Joe vs Ali and no Cena. The I'd lay it out like so (order not set):

Main card:

Kofi vs Bryan vs Owens - WWE Title
    Shane vs The Miz
    Joe vs Ali - US Title
    Boss 'n' Hug vs IIconics - Women's tag Titles
    Buddy Murphy vs 205 Tournament Winner

Pre-show:

Andre Royal
    Women's Royal
    The Revival vs Roode and Gable - RAW Tag Titles

I like you card, but there is no way that Reigns is being left off the card, now that he is back. So I deduced the best possible match for him, and having him in a tag match also gets 4 others on the main card.

There also is no way that Angle will be left off.

As for Orton, one of Vince's favorites and AJ the flag bearer for Smackdown for 2 years, no way they get left off the main card. But I agree with you. I could care less about this match, but their promo was cool last night even though it was so blatantly scripted and transparent.

And if the WWE left off the a Women's Title match, there would be a sh!tload of bad PR.

New update after Smackdown:

Confirmed:

Angle Retirement vs Corbin (booo)
    Shane vs The Miz
    Kofi vs Bryan - WWE Title (ok, all but confirmed)
    Orton vs Styles
    Nattie and Beth vs Nia and Tamina vs Sasha and Bayley - Women's tag Title
    Reigns vs McIntyre
    Joe vs Rey - US Title

Still no implications about:

The Smackdown Women's title....Asuka has been non-existent
    The Smackdown Tag Titles...no mention of those either
    The RAW Tag Titles...no mention
    Lashley vs ???? most likely Balor, but no mention as of yet
    Cruiserweight Title match? I know nothing of this, so...it will happen but no idea

It is absolutely amazing, that with about 2 weeks left, 5 titles have no confirmed match. At least the Cruisers have a direction with a tourney to get a match, but the Tag Titles and one of the Woman's titles with nothing and no mention for weeks. But Angle gets a retirement match and HHH and Bats get a match....Sad. Truly sad.
    Last edited by Powder; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:17 AM.

The Smackdown Women's title has been progressed with Youtube where I think Mandy and Sonya are going to have singles matches against two others to see who gets the title match with Asuka... in any event, there is some movement on that side.

The Usos cut a promo last week or week before where basically called out every team on SD. I'd prefer a title unification match but we'll prob get a 4 way.

Same with Raw Tag titles.

I could Lashley and Balor in the battle royal. Or maybe a ladder match with others added (including Lio Rush where he wins the title thus causing the split with him and Lashley)

Tony Nese won the tournament so it will be Nese vs. Murphy on the preshow

Man, that's 12 matches and not everybody and every title can, or arguably should, get a feature match on the card.

There's a more than good chance that Asuka will be in the Women's Battle Royal, and the tag teams and Lashley will be in the Men's. They need stars for those matches.

There haven't exactly been compelling stories brewing for those titles for the past several months.

I would actually like Asuka to defend her title in the Battle Royal. Yeah, its not really fair but they need to do something with that match and they are going to shake up the shows post mania anyway.

So WWE have now announced that Ronda vs Charlotte vs Becky is a 'main event'

https://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestleman...?sf209889198=1

The Main event. As they should. I know the feud has cooled but it reached a point where if you don't have it main event, it will piss off alot of people.

Mania closing with Becky on the turnbuckle with the Title is THE moment of the Mania season.

With the women main eventing and the show ending with the feel good moment of Becky raising the title, what’s the possibility of the Rollins/Lesnar match having some kind of shenanigans and ending with the title still on Brock?

Check the Brock thread, Daniel Cormier has stated that he might show up to cost Lesnar the title, thus enticing him back to the UFC.

I think Dana is still hesitant to do Brock-Cormier since Jones-Lesnar is a much more attractive fight to sell. Jones was a non factor when Cormier-Lesnar was first announced. He’s very relevant again now.

I've always thought that Dana and Vince had been working together with Brock crossing over and stuff.

On the main event announcement up there, it's even got some mainstream BBC coverage in the UK, although it's on the Newsround site (a sort of kids daily news program). To give it some context, the 'similar' articles are all about events that happened over a year ago - Nicholas winning the tag titles is one of them.

Latest Rumor that Charlotte won the SDWC in order to have the Main Event of WM be a "Winner Take All" match. Not sure if that means unification, but the winner does get both belts at least for the night.

This make is almost a 100% certainty that Becky wins, because if the WWE has either Rousey or Charlotte close the show by winning, then the WWE will have a chorus of Boos closing their biggest show of the year in the first Womens Main event. the WWE has to know this, and so Becky wins, the fans go crazy and you have your shot for all time.

First ever Women's main event, loved by everyone, not remembered because the WWE chose to push Charlotte down our throats some more.