Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Doyle was actually a doctor, funnily enough. But he also fully believed in fairies and was a committed spiritualist. So an interesting relationship with science, to say the least.

On an unrelated note I think you should name and shame that editor!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    I've definitely got the impression that Doyle was a bit of a weirdo, and that just strengthens the impression!

His name is Kyle Freeman, and I suppose he could be worse. I don't know why he thinks he has to footnote every Bible verse and Shakespeare quote. Yes, I know "the game's afoot" is from Henry V, Kyle!! You don't have to keep telling me!

The Brain
    Finished the Holmes collection and really enjoyed it, but perhaps the most enjoyable thing in the book was a brief Holmes parody written by Barrie for Doyle included at the end! Apparently Doyle and Barrie worked on a play together that didn't do well, so immediately afterwards Barrie wrote the story to cheer Doyle up. The story goes that Holmes and Watson see two upset men coming down the street, and Holmes deduces that they are playwrights who have just failed, via some insulting observations. Watson is so surprised by Holmes brilliance that he "jumps to the ceiling", which is much dented. The two men come in to Holmes' home, and they are Doyle and Barrie himself! Doyle demands that Holmes dispense with "the first 4 pages" and get right to the solution, why didn't people see his play? Holmes says "because they preferred to stay home", and Doyle gets so mad he writes Holmes out of existence! As Holmes fades away, he condemns Doyle to a lifetime of using public transportation because without his star character, he won't be able to afford private cabs anymore, which leaves Doyle aghast at what he's done. I literally laughed out loud several times reading it, it was charming and delightful.

Went quickly through the start of the Sandman Universe series. Neil Gaiman wrote the first issue, the one that I read, though I'm not sure he's writing anything full time for the series. It was good though, and I love that universe so I'm interested to see more.

From there jumped into the Carrie Fischer biography Wishful Drinking, which has been very charming so far. It's a bit sad at times but Carrie seemed to be alright with that. It seems like it'll be quick read as it's very engaging and not very long, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far. She seemed like a hell of a personality, always liked her a great deal from what I've seen of her.

Just finished off that The Mechanical, which was very good. Think I'll have to check out the next in that series soon

Aside from a few political history things I'm reading I'm also back into my Victorian realism and am reading the Eustace Diamonds. Going to be an interesting one I think - from the first chapter I have the feeling it's going to be one of those affairs where they try and get you to be fair and sympathetic when appropriate towards characters who are generally a bit unpleasant.

The Brain
    Still in my book of horror stories. My reading always slows down in the winter because I like to walk and read, plus being busy at work cut out a lot of my break reading. Read some real good ones though, really enjoying it.

I'm currently reading "Lion's Pride" by Chris Charlton about the history of New Japan Pro Wrestling. It is structured a little weirdly, but has excellent information.

The Brain
    Very nice! Anything fun in particular to share?

Just finished a brilliant crime book called Scrub lands. Real page Turner and paints a startling good picture of country Australia.

@Sir_Samuel

Sounds interesting. Can't say I know much Aussie literature but I do have a book of Australian ghost stories somewhere which I should pick up.

Ploughing through The Eustace Diamonds at a huge rate. So easy to read. 500 pages in already.

Trying to think what I've been at since the last post in here. Read Mort which I mentioned in the Pratchett thread. That was fun. Then some more heavy bits. Read the Woodward book on the first year of the Clinton administration. Something else about the Walpole administration back in the 18th century which is an area I don't know much about.

Now onto Phineas Redux which follows on the heels of The Eustace Diamonds, mentioned above.

The Brain
    Still in the midst of my horror collection. It's very good for the most part but my reading time has been very scarce lately, sadly.