Death Before Dishonor XVI

Live from Las Vegas this September will be the 16th edition of Ring of Honor's Death Before Dishonor PPV.

I know it's a bit early and might take a while to warm up but if anyone wants to start speculating about the show at this stage, have at it!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Don't think anything's booked for it yet. I'll be curious to see the card when it comes out, haven't watched much ROH lately but they do bring out something interesting from time to time.

People either love me, hate me, or they don't care CanadianCrippler's Avatar
    DL Honor for All to catch up on what's going on. Based on recent Death Before Dishonor history I'd say that we're guaranteed a new champion to pop the crowd. I feel like Jay's lacklucker second title victory out of nowhere is transitional for the next heel champion. I would expect Lethal to have another monumental reign but that might kill his reputation \ momentum if it's just as "meh" as the initial first reign. Although I personally am not a fan of Martinez so I would be down for just about anybody to upset him for the title.

Have Cheeseburger and Bully Ray concluded? Is Colt Cabana going to feud with Bully or wrestle at this show? Like a job (vs) job match.

First match confirmed is a Bullet Club vs Chaos 8-man tag.

A lot more matches signed for this card now.

I think this contains some TV SPOILERS so read on with caution.

Quote Originally Posted by ROH Wrestling
    RING OF HONOR PRESENTS DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
    FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 28TH
    BELL TIME @ 06:00 PM PDT
    ORLEANS ARENA
    4500 W TROPICANA AVE
    89103 LAS VEGAS, NV

ALREADY SIGNED:
    BULLET CLUB (“AMERICAN NIGHTMARE” CODY, “HANGMAN” ADAM PAGE, “THE VILLAIN” MARTY SCURLL, & IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS THE YOUNG BUCKS) vs. CHAOS (KAZUCHIKA OKADA, “STONE PITBULL” TOMOHIRO ISHII, ROCKY ROMERO, & BEST FRIENDS (BERETTA & CHUCKIE T.))

WOMEN OF HONOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
    WOMEN OF HONOR WORLD CHAMPION SUMIE SAKAI vs. TENILLE DASHWOOD

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
    ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS THE BRISCOES (JAY & MARK) vs. THE ADDICTION (CHRISTOPHER DANIELS & FRANKIE KAZARIAN)

ROH WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
    ROH WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPION PUNISHMENT MARTINEZ vs. CHRIS SABIN

SIGNED TO COMPETE
    ROH WORLD CHAMPION JAY LETHAL
    BULLY RAY
    “PRO WRESTLING’S LAST REAL MAN” SILAS YOUNG
    FLIP GORDON
    Last edited by Prime Time; 09-13-2018 at 11:01 AM.

The Brain
    Really hope Dashwood wins the women's title. No idea what it's doing on Sakai, I don't mind her but based on the talent available she's a baffling choice.

Curious that there's no world title match booked yet for Lethal.

I'm not following the TV product but its a PPV and the World champ doesn't have a match yet? odd.

So Lethal's title match is confirmed as being against Will Ospreay.

Also got a message through the other day, tickets are on sale now apparently. From what I can tell they are not really shifting very well at all. We're a week away and you can still get a few down by the ring and the aisle, and there's thousands of tickets left in the rest of the building so far as I can tell.

Still maybe that's just what they were expecting and we're just getting used to thinking about shows in terms of 'sell outs' after this remarkable year.

The Brain
    Hm, Lethal/Ospreay isn't a big draw to me personally. My theory is that the folks who come out to see NJPW guys in ROH are a traveling crowd and are only going to commit to events with big matches. Even with some big names, a 10 man tag looks like pure throwaway on paper, especially since there's no real heat at all between BC and CHAOS.

Flip Gordon will be teaming with Colt Cabana against Bully Ray and Silas Young at DBD

The Brain
    I guess that ties in with the stuff set up at All In? I'm not a big Flip guy but they seem to be doing some good stuff with Bully, he's surely past his prime in the ring but in my mind he still adds value. I've liked Silas a fair bit too whenever I've seen him.

I'm excited for this card despite the lack of any heat at all for three of the matches; there is not a match that shouldn't be at least good.

The Brain
    Oh, no doubt there will be good action. I just wish ROH put more into their own stuff, they do rather feel like an accessory to NJPW the past couple years.

So I sat down with a bit of this last night - basically I wanted to watch Sumie vs Tenille but decided I'd watch up to that point and then decide whether to keep watching it.

Was it just me not being used to modern RoH - I haven't watched since 2012 or so, at a guess - or was the crowd incredibly quiet for long, long periods?

I had a general level of enjoyment going for the opening two matches, which weren't bad but weren't overwhelming me. Sumie vs Tenille was good in parts but felt a little off, and by that point in time I'd kind of made up my mind not to stick with it because I didn't feel like the show was really going to take off.

The Brain
    I don't feel like ROH tends to have really rabid crowds these days, except for some really big matches. I could be wrong though, I only watch sporadically.

I agree with you, Mizzie. It isn't the loud, rabid crowds there used to be. Ollie, it was a very good show. Nothing overwhelming, but everything was solid with an excellent main event between Ospreay and Lethal. Ospreay is adapting his style to heavyweight the way Styles did and he's doing a good job of blending the two together now that he's 15-20 lbs heavier, but he wrestled at just a fast enough pace to push Lethal to the best I've seen him in a couple of years.