Thread: Doctor Who

Doctor Who

A new trailer and some info dropped for the new season:

TRAILER

Looks very interesting to me. With a whole new cast and a whole new series director this is verging on reboot territory. If they do go down that road I hope they keep it away from anything familiar for a while. No Daleks, no Cybermen, no ood, all new stuff. Could be a spectacular failure but could also be a really awesome refresh.

They also put out this picture of the new Sonic Screwdriver. It looks a lot less mechanic than any of the other ones I have seen. I don't know how much you can infer from just that but perhaps this Doctor will be more alien than ever before?

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    I get a bit tired of the gimmicky sonic screwdriver schtick in honesty. Classically it wasn't half as integral as it's become, and hardly ever radically redesigned.

Trailer looks intriguing. Getting very excited to now see the first female Doctor and how that changes the relationship with companions.

Regarding the Daleks, I think rights issues force the BBC to use them once a year, hence the plethora of stories and cameos from them. Not sure of the details but I've definitely read it's about some rights issue.

Must admit, though I'm not the biggest Whovian by any stretch (not even in the top five of my various friendship circles), I am intrigued to see how this plays out. And I'm pretty optimistic at this point too.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Optimism is what Doctor Who is all about - that's why I find it so wonderful a show.

There's this clip of Moffat explaining why the Doctor is the best superhero that just beautifully expresses everything about the show. I was a big Who fan as a kid ever since I saw the '96 TV movie so I have a sense of loyalty to it, and while it's gotten to sometimes take itself a little too seriously and start moralising a little too heavily, I still find the basic principles of the show to be such a refreshing and important change from the dark, gritty norms.

Anyway, here's that clip. It always gets me.

They've released episode titles for the first two in the new series, as well as some other details including some guest stars.

I'll leave the guests to anyone who wants to track down that info and leave it as a surprise, but I imagine sharing the titles can't hurt.

First is 'The Woman Who Fell to Earth', and second is 'The Ghost Monument'.

Anyone surprised they aren't doing another trailer.

Not really, they're keeping cards close to their chest at the moment.

EDIT: Couple of days after the details emerge a new trailer does actually drop. You can tell we're getting closer.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:33 AM.

So the first critics views of the new Dr Who are out, and it sounds like they range from mixed to very positive. I've not seen anything that tends more negative so far.

I think what we're gonna see a tonal shift. A more upbeat, fresh take on the character... I'm pretty excited even though the trailers haven't wowed me exactly.

A brief clip of Episode 1 was released by BBC to tease. I hear it was leaked some time ago, though I hadn't seen it. Doesn't show much but I'm getting a really strong Eccleston vibe from her already (which is a very good thing, considering Chris was one of my favourites!). And it's not just the Northern accent before anyone says something! I mean her demeanour, the manner in her delivery. It might just be the awkwardness of adjusting to so bespoke a role, but regardless, I'm liking it. It already feels really fresh. Here's the clip:

I'm a massive Who fan, and it's worth saying that I thought Capaldi's run was largely excellent. I thought his take on the character was great too. Seeing him evolve from someone who can't empathise at all in his first season to the empathetic man he was in his final episode, just wanting the peace of death, was really well done when you watch it all back. His take on the character is one that evolves, in a way Colin Baker often describes he wanted his to, and I think it worked. I liked that Twelve was like a volcano always fit to explode, and Capaldi was the best actor to take on the role since Eccleston - and let's face it, Tennant and Smith aren't exactly easy competition.

Nonetheless, the show needed a new runner for some time. Moff came dangerously close to over-staying his welcome in honesty, if not past that point in the eyes of many. So with a new head writer and new Doctor who is newer than any Doctor before her (how cool is it to say that?!) since Troughton, next Sunday can't come quick enough for me!

I'm going to surprise you here 'Plan, but your post has picked up on a lot of the same things I've said offline.

Well, seems like it was a hit!

I really enjoyed it.

Seems almost everyone did, from what I have seen of the reactions.

The Brain
    Loved Eccleston, so that comparison makes me want to start the new stuff even more. Stopped just before the start of the last Capaldi season so at some point gotta do some catch up.

So then, from my side, things had got overly complicated, the Doctor was actually rather unlikable and we’ve had too many shit Dalek episodes where very little happened. With that in mind, I really enjoyed Sunday night. It was simpler and more relaxing to follow, the scenery was breathtaking, and the Doctor was not just likeable, she was lovable. The plot was emotionally gripping and I actually thought it was a powerful first episode.

Who needs a fucking tardis?
    Last edited by anonymous; 1 Week Ago at 02:21 PM. Reason: Drunk post

I think some of that was deliberate, myself. Like there was a conscious effort to play up some of the dramatic tensions in the Doctor in the Capaldi iteration, in a way that brought out some of his less likeable qualities. Obviously if you do that, you're essentially relying on loyalty towards the character to get fans through and keep them with you.

In many ways, I think this version is going to be 'easier', a bit less demanding, than what has gone before - and for a family-friendly sci-fi show early on a Saturday evening I think that's OK.

I’m amazed you managed to decipher my drunken post.

I think some of the Doctors could be more serious with complexities and manage it well. For me, Capaldi slips into the Hartnell mould for me where I just struggled to watch as I disliked the hero so much. Pertwee was everything Capaldi could have been but I really think he failed. In all honesty his companions didn’t help.

I’m enjoying our new female doctor anyway. I do wonder if the host of companions will be successful though. For me, Doctor Who is at its best with just one or two companions who you’re invested with. Can’t we kill Bradley Walsh?

Capaldi is a favourite of mine, precisely for the reasons he didn't click for you nony. I liked they went for an edgier characterisation for the Doctor, and I think Capaldi played it of well. His disposition, his physical features, his cadence all lent themselves more toward that kind of a take on the character than anything else anyway I think. I actually revisited his entire tenure in the build to last Sunday and Twelve is arguably the best written of all of them because you actually see him change - he starts off completely unlikable, entirely alien but, over the course of the events of his tenure, grows to become the kind of Doctor we know and love prior to his regeneration. I loved his regeneration arc as well, which was handled similarly to but far more deftly than Ten, in him not wanting to regenerate I mean. I could have done without the silly monologue into thin air which felt very heavy handed (hoping that's now relegated to the past with the departure of Moff), but generally speaking I loved Capaldi's performances, his character arc and, to be fair, a number of his stories.

Having said all that, last Sunday felt so brilliantly fresh that there's no denying it was the right time to change things around. The simpler story was really refreshing and I thought beautifully shot, beautifully acted. I liked that Thirteen just started - the whole post-regen stuff was there like it normally is, but done while everything was still moving forwards. And that Eccleston vibe came through very strongly for me, which is a great thing! I loved the new theme for her Doctor (the credits and also in the episode itself as she delivered her first Doctor speech on the crane) and the whole thing felt pretty cinematic actually. All in all, I'm hugely excited for the coming season, and that she started off without a TARDIS?! Brilliant, as I'm sure she'd say!

It usually takes a new actor some time to really fall comfortably into their take, but I think early signs are showing that Whittaker could become one of the very best. And I think that's so many kinds of awesome.

I actually didn't mind Bradley. I thought he did well.

I loved Capaldi's doctor and his arc from wondering if he's a good person or not to just be kind by the end. I feel like the line 'never be cowardly or cruel' was a tip off that Jodie's Doctor would be less harsh. More friendly, relatable. I mean she calls her companions, friends. She apologizes to them and generally, overtly cares for them. I feel its a welcomed change.

I think the 4 person Tardis team is a bit much, if only because in the first ep, Yas was pretty shortchanged on development. It was basically the Ryan and Graham show. Graham is supposed to be like the audience, questioning everything and Ryan's condition will have him plenty involved. Just not sure where they are going with Yas.

My guess is that it's a bit of a nod to the original TARDIS team of four back in '63. It can be a bit much, but I guess we'll have to see how it pans out in the coming episodes. I'd be shocked if all three are there all of the time - if for no other reason than knowing Walsh's other TV commitments! I see what you mean on Yas though. Hopefully she'll get that spotlight in future episodes and not be left there was an exposition inclusion or something. I think they've laid out a fantastic foundation for the Graham / Ryan relationship though, and the turn of events at the end of Ep 1 (no spoilers here!!) was really very well done, considering how short a time we'd known the central cast for at that point.

Love that observation on Twelve by the way, never cottoned onto that! "Am I a good man?" to "Be kind." Also, has any other Doctor been as powerful when delivering those monologues as Capaldi was? The end of The Zygon Invasion remains one of my favourite scenes in Who ever.

Didn’t enjoy the second episode as much. Enjoyed the guest stars and weirdly the planet and scenery. Felt the Doctor spoke too much and was mildly irritating, the “aliens” were lazy and a bit shit, and the plot wasn’t original at all.

Saying that, the TARDIS is wonderful and I’m warming to the companions.

With you on that 'nony. I made time to re-watch the first episode last weekend but haven't been bothered doing likewise with the second. Not worried about that though. Second episodes can often be a bit meh. Remember Smith's "The Beast Below"? That was a pretty naff one too. Moreover, The Ghost Monument was still ahead of some episodes from past seasons as well. I'd sooner watch that one than that really quite inexplicably bizarre sleep-gunk monster episode Capaldi was subjected to, or any of Tennant's weaker offerings like 'New Earth' or 'Partners in Crime.' So I guess I'd still consider last week's disappointment a general improvement still.

I am going to need to be won over by the new TARDIS interior. It looks like they've tried far too hard. Might as well have stuck a big banner on the wall saying "THIS IS AN ALIEN THING!" and it might have been subtler.

Enjoyed 3 much more. Albeit a total lack of true sci-fi. The story was utterly compelling though and I found it really enjoyable. Not sure I agree with Doctor Who initiating the civil rights movement but it was emotionally challenging and beautifully done. An exceptional drama.