Thread: EVOLVE

EVOLVE

This past weekend at EVOLVE 108 in the old ECW Arena, EVOLVE crowned a new Champion as Matt Riddle dropped his title to Swerve himself, Shane Strickland in the third of their series of fantastic matches. Strickland is quickly becoming one of the best guys on the Indy circuit, and quite frankly it's only a matter of time before he gets on the WWE radar, if he's not already. For those unaware, Shane Strickland is also Killshot in Lucha Underground.

As for Riddle, it's looking more and more like the King of Bros is headed to the WWE, which would be the second EVOLVE Champion to head to the WWE in the last few months, with Keith Lee about ready to debut on NXT television.

How is the relationship with WWE affecting Evolve?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Just speaking personally, it does make them feel more and more like a feeder territory... I know WWE is signing guys from everywhere with reckless abandon, but EVOLVE has started to feel a bit like a pipeline to NXT. To some that might be a draw, but to me it makes it hard to invest in the guys they bring in as I know there's a good chance they'll be gone soon.

I get what you're saying. With Riddle, Rush and Keith Lee moving on they're relying on Austin Theory, Darby Allin and now Shane Strickland to carry the load. But Theory has been on the WWE radar for a while and with his manager Priscilla Kelly in the MYC, it's probably only a matter of time. Velveteen Dream wrestled Theory and Allin this past weekend, probably to get a feel for the WWE on how they worked. Wouldn't be surprised to see Shane there sometime next year as well.

Not only is Shane Strickland signed with LU, he's also signed with MLW for the next several years. WWE in fact got in trouble recently by trying to talk to Strickland, who told them he couldn't because he was signed, and when WWE tried to brush it off they were threatened with contract tampering issues. He's definitely on their radar but it's at least a few years away from happening if at all.

I've never really gotten into EVOLVE. Like mizfan said it's basically a WWE feeder system at this point, not to mention that Gabe Sapolsky is so in bed with WWE that he actually stooged off negotiating talks Riddle was having with New Japan to Triple H, who then suddenly offered Riddle a deal despite being able to do so for the past several years (Riddle's wife confirmed this herself). So it's hard to get into them or support them, especially since you can also catch most of the talent elsewhere. They do have good talent though. Strickland has been awesome for at least two years now, Darby Allin (who has wrestled in AAA a few times) is fun and holy shit Austin Theory. I just caught the dude last weekend on a show at Expo Lucha where he took on Laredo Kid and Rey Horus (LU's El Dragon Azteca Jr.). Not only is Theory in his early 20's while looking like a cross between Mark Jindrak and Randy Orton, he's got great athleticism, lots of charisma and can work. He's going to be a star.

From what i've seen from Evolve, I like Gabe but he seems to struggle with making a product people can invest in.. This is before and after WWE's involvement. Every mania weekend, his shows are overshadowed by other indy shows when really, given the talent he's had access to, that should never be the case. People will like the matches that Riddle had.. or Ospreay coming in but people will CARE when joey Janela throws a spring Break show and its the most fun show of the weekend.

The Brain
    I really have to check out Austin Theory, it seems...

So while Evolution was going on, big happenings occurred at EVOLVE 104. It appears that EVOLVE may now be a feeder INTO NXT as the Street Profits won the EVOLVE Tag Titles, Dan Matha showed up and tore up some people, and Fabian Aichner beat Shane Strickland for the EVOLVE title.

The Brain
    On the one hand I think it's cool that EVOLVE is getting something more out of the WWE relationship, and the idea of WWE doing cross-promoting (of sorts) on this level is pretty big. On the other hand, I'm not thrilled with the possible idea that WWE/NXT is going to co-opt unique indy products. I guess we'll see how it goes!