Joshi Puroresu - Japanese Women's Wrestling

Whether it's the classic days of AJPW Women's Pro Wrestling and Aja Kong, or the more contemporary fare offered by the likes of Stardom, I know that there's some fans of Joshi out there. So here's a thread to cover the women of Japanese Wrestling.

The Brain
    One of my absolute favorite styles, from the days of AJW (no P, Pete!) to the modern day.

I've got a huge love for some of the 80s stuff, especially anything involving Dump Matsumoto, one of my all time favorites.

The 90s stuff holds up as some of the most hard hitting, incredible stuff ever. Aja Kong is right at the forefront but you've got to talk about the likes of Bull Nakano, Dynamite Kansai, and the all time great Manami Toyota of course. And again, that's really just scratching the surface. If you want to see one of the best matches of all time, look no further:

Don't know much about the 00s to be honest, as joshi hit some snags in that period, but in the 10s there's been a tremendous amount of great stuff. I particularly recommend the work of two women who are contenders for best wrestler in the world right now, regardless of gender, Io Shirai and Meiko Satomura.

Stardom is the company that is going strongest over there right now, though there are surprisingly large number of women's promotions running at any given time. The ongoing top feud in the company right now is Io Shirai's Queen's Quest stable taking on Kagetsu's nefarious Oedo Tai group. Kagetsu is another awesome current talent that I definitely recommend getting into, if you can.

My other favorite current group is the Satomura run promotion, Sendai Girls, which features not only Satomura herself but a still going strong Aja Kong, and one of the most promising young talents in the world, Chihiro Hashimoto. Lots of great stuff to see, for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    One of my absolute favorite styles, from the days of AJW (no P, Pete!) to the modern day.
    It's a dull fact but I don't think I have ever seen it as initials before. Have only ever seen it written out in full. And presumably in some Japanese script that wouldn't have meant a lot to me.

The Brain
    Believe me, it always threw me as well because it seems to just completely skip a word! It could be an Americanization to distinguish from All Japan in the tape trader days. No idea, honestly!

Anything with Toyota/Nakano/Hokuto is an automatic great match if it is a big show.

I'm not as big into Joshi as I probably should be, but I will say this. If you watch stuff from teh 90s, you'll realize just as influential they were to the wrestling industry as a whole:

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

The Brain
    Also, I have never seen mats that look as fucking hard as those 90s AJW mats. They look like there's fucking marble under the tarps most of the time.

Speaking more contemporary, has anyone seen the STARDOM main from Dream Slam a few weeks ago? Sounds like a pretty lengthy tag match, was wondering how it went.

The Brain
    The exploding bat match? I haven't seen it yet but I am planning to check it out soon! I don't really have any idea what that's going to look like, or why they're doing an FMW tribute gimmick match out of nowhere, but pretty much anything with Io Shirai and Kagetsu is likely to be good!

I really do dig the Queen's Quest vs. Oedo Tai storyline. The recent development for earlier this year is Oedo Tai lost a match which stipulated they had to lose one of their members, and that member was Tam Nakano, a young wrestler who was getting really popular. She's come over to the face side as a result and has ended up opposing Oedo Tai over time. It's been fun to watch Nakano, who originally left Oedo Tai under good terms, slowly be forced to confront the fact that her former friends are a lot less fun when they're on the other side of the ring from you.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    I haven't been following Stardom much this year, so thanks for the synopsis on the storyline. Sounds like a good one taking place.

I've seen gifs of the recent Shirai / Kagetsu match online and those spots have looked impressive. It definitely looks like a must-see match.

I also read that Konami is now an official full-time member of the Stardom roster, so I'm guessing they'll have huge plans for her in the company.

The Brain
    I think I've only seen Konami once but I admit I didn't really get a big impression off of her at the time.

My favorite joshi match of the year so far actually comes from Sendai Girls, which has really cemented itself in my mind as the #2 women's promotion in the world over the past couple years, at least in terms of quality. The match is the legendary Meiko Satomura vs. Ayako Hamada, and it's a doozy. I'd rank it top 10 of the year so far on my personal list, and my favorite match from Japan this year, with all respect to the hyped New Japan matches.

A sad post-note to that match is that earlier this month Hamada was arrested for drug related charges, and all companies in Japan cut ties with her pretty much right away. I don't know what kind of crime the charges are linked to, but Japan is very serious about drug offenses so this might be the end for Hamada, which completely sucks.