Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    Time for another topic? I think so....

Rousey/Lynch is the best option for a Women's match as the WM main event.

NOTE: Prime Time & myself wrote our original responses some time ago, before Lynch won the title & was scheduled to Face Rousey at Survivor Series, before she had her face broken and had to pull out of the match and certainly before Survivor Series happened. Not sure if PT remembers he answered this one twice, but as he covered different justification each time I figured Iíd include both!

Prime Time (Original Response): Itís probably the match Iím most interested in seeing. Lynch is one of my favourites by a good margin, and Rousey is the hot-topic of the moment. The other two bouts I could see Rousey have are against Charlotte, and Iíd prefer Becky, or against Asuka, which I donít see the WWE going for given how theyíve used her over the past six months. Iíd suggest that other than that youíre looking at bringing a name in from outside, or even calling up Shayna. But those are real wildcard options and Iím going to stick with my gut and say FACT.

Prime Time (Post-Survivor Series Response): Yeah, I think so. Ronda has a major profile outside the WWE and they are clearly going all-in on her. Becky is probably the hottest star they have right now, to be honest. I know theyíve got a big investment in Charlotte but I just donít see any match involving her having quite the same appeal. Theyíve run the match with Becky several times already, and leaving Becky out leaves out the most popular aspect. So yeah, itís a clear FACT, if you look at it with any objectivity at all.

Dynamite Billington (Original Response): At this point in time, if it were up to me Iíd only be 50/50 on letting Ronda be in the Main Event at WrestleMania. Sheís still too inexperienced IMO, despite the fact sheís improving extremely quickly Ė although even the most sceptic part of me says that sheíll probably be ready when the time comes. Pencil it in, just donít use a permanent marker yet.

Thatís not the topic though. Weíre here to discuss who should face her. For a long time, Charlotte was the answer. Now it seems Becky has come into the equation. This brings a few new questions into play. Most important of them being is that the marquee matchup that is needed to headline a WrestleMania? To be honest, I would have to say No to that. Sure, we the wrestling fans may love Becky, but is that enough? WrestleMania isnít for us. WrestleMania is for the masses. Itís designed to get mainstream attention and bring in new fans from elsewhere. Itís for the casual fans who watch once a year.

And therein lies the problem. Rousey v Lynch may well be the better match, it may well tell the better story for the regular viewers, but does it draw in those extra viewers? Iím not so sure. Put that Flair name next to Rouseyís though, and those extra viewers have a name they will probably recognise, even if it is primarily because of her Dad. Thatís OK though, legacies sell.

Thatís the logical side of the topic covered, but what about my own feelings? Personally, at this point in time Iíd go with Becky. However, thatís for one reason and one reason only: Sheís the other Champion. My own feelings are that all titles (except the IC & US titles) should be unified. The roster, especially the Womenís roster, isnít big enough to justify multiple top-tier titles. If Becky is still Champ come WrestleMania, she should face Ronda. If she isnít, then whoever is champ at the time should get the honour.

My final answer? FICTION. Flair v Rousey sells more tickets than any other option.

Dynamite Billington (Post Survivor Series): I actually think recent events strengthen the argument for Flair/Rousey at Mania. Now, as well as being the most recognisable names, they actually have a back story to build the match with. Save Lynch/Rousey for SummerSlam perhaps? Got to say though, if Becky continues her current trajectory I can see her headlining a lot of PPVs over the next year or so and definitely wonít be disappointed if WrestleMania is one of them. Given that I'm happy either way, I'm going to give my final answer as UNDECIDED.

MizFan: I am very doubtful that WWE will run a women's match as the "true" main event of Wrestlemania at all, but putting that aside I will say FACT. Looking at how excited people are about the idea of this feud, nothing else comes to mind that could potentially be a better option. People are less excited about Charlotte than they used to be and Asuka has been all but forgotten about over the past months, but Becky has become red hot, and Ronda will always be significant, so yeah, don't think they could do better than this.

Burn11nMyLight: FICTION. Although kinda FACT? Sorry, let me explain. Yes, Becky and Ronda would be amazing as a 1v1 match, and it needs to happen given the awesome promos and invasion of RAW by Becky and Team Smackdown. HOWEVER, while that match is like an A-, the A+ match, the true WrestleMania Main Event, is the 4 Horsewomen vs the 4 Horsewomen. The MMA crew vs the NXT crew. You get 4 of the 6 best women's wrestlers in the world PLUS Ronda, Shayna, and...the other two I'm forgetting because they haven't debuted yet. That match could tear the roof off the building, show how awesome Shayna is, put that spotlight back on Sasha, and give Becky, the most-over performer in all of WWE currently, the spotlight she deserves.

Don Franc: Has there ever been more of a FACT? Rousey would want to settle the score for Becky completely owning her when SD invaded RAW. Remember, Rousey wasn't able to retaliate because Becky got injured. Kind of a blessing really as that would be the hottest women's match WWE could provide at Wrestlemania. And if you listen to the rumours, these woman are apparently main eventing the show. It would certainly be a great moment for the Women's Division. Besides, the way Lunch/Rousey has played out thus far, it would be the perfect story.

Final Score: 3 clear votes for FACT, 2 votes fairly inconclusive. I think that favours FACT enough that we don't need Zak's dog as a tie breaker, but he is definitely missed in this thread

LOL, I had no clue. I have literally been all over the place lately. At least I didn't contradict myself.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

It would have been more fun if you had

Always a chance I might have done with some of the others... still, a gentleman retains the right to change his mind!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Mediocrity at it's finest kingzak13's Avatar
    *Sees Topic*

"Oh I remember this one, I wrote this one a week before Survivor Series, I wonder what everyone else thought"

"Wait where the fuck is my entry, I swear I sent it in before Survivor Series"

Checks Private Messages

"Shit, I am an idiot"

So as it turns out, I thought I sent this one in, I had wrote a whole thing for it, got the dog's thought on it, and then got distracted by other stuff (probably Survivor Series)

Sorry about this one. If anyone is interested, here are me and the dogs thoughts on this one from before Survivor Series

Rousey/Lynch is the best option for a Women's match as the WM main event.

Zak: I am actually feeling pretty torn on this one, thereís a fair bit going into this one, firstly and most importantly this would mean either one has to lose the title and win the rumble, and I donít see either reign ending soon, or the WWE go for the womenís brand of wrestling and this match is to unite the two titles to be the inaugural WWE Womenís World Champion (or for short, the WWEWWC)

In theory this makes sense, on one side is the big draw and on the other is the character that has caught fire recently. Now I say in theory because in practice, youíd need to firstly get through this next little segment of time before Survivor Series without spoiling too much. That is fairly easy to do but given how hard WWE has been with Ronda, I am not optimistic about keeping Becky looking strong.

Becky catching on to the fans is not dissimilar to the likes of CM Punk or Daniel Bryan, however WWE still have the female equivalent of John Cena at their disposal, and Charlotte vs Ronda is still definitely the WWEís money match for the womenís division. And while I am not saying that Ronda vs Becky at WM will never happen, this year is a definite no and honestly if Charlotte/Ronda doesnít main event, I donít think the women ever may.

So in theory this one is true, but in a business sense (and letís face it, thatís all WWE cares about these days) it isnít. If I am honest, I am hoping that these two get to main event Survivor Series, I see no reason why they shouldnít and right now this is the biggest womenís match WWE can do. I guess weíll have to wait and see on that one, but as to the question, I guess I gotta put it as fiction.

Zak: Fiction
    Dog: A quickly chosen Fiction

I have since changed my mind to Fact on this one.
    *Ghostly wailing*

The Brain
    I really have to push back against this idea that either Charlotte or Becky are any kind of draw to casual fans. Not because they're women, but because WWE doesn't build draws for casual fans anymore, they import them from other sports and eras. Ronda is the draw for those casual fans who might just watch Wrestlemania and nothing else, full stop. I think Flair may be the best wrestler ever but I don't think being his daughter creates any draw for those fans outside the wrestling bubble.

So that leaves the question of what will be more exciting for the hardcore fans, and I think it's been overwhelming clear that they prefer Becky at this point and time, and I expect that'll run through Wrestlemania at least, assuming WWE doesn't chuck a bucket of freezing water on her heat.

Zak:
    I think changing your mind is OK

Have you got replies ready for any of the others I sent out? Still time to pm them to me and join in...

Miz:
    I do agree - have you seen the comments I've made in Prime's Reigns column?
    Last edited by DynamiteBillington; 1 Week Ago at 07:13 PM.

The Brain
    I'll have to go back and double check that!

Time for a new topic. This one actually came to me whilst I was writing up what may become a Predictions column for the next year. It started out as a prediction, then I figured it was more of a topic for a column, before eventually using it for Fact or Fiction because I wanted to see what other people thought on the subject.

WWE made Daniel Bryan WWE Champion now so they can keep him out of the WrestleMania Main Event in 2019

DynamiteBillington: The Conspiracy Theorist in me says FACT. Let me explainÖ

We all know what happened in the past. Bryan didnít get in the Rumble and people rebelled. WWE didnít want him in the main event of WrestleMania, but were forced to listen to the fans and put him there anyway. It made for a truly great moment, one which has to be in the conversation for best ever WrestleMania endings.

Obviously his injuries made the problem go away for a few years, but now WWE are faced with a similar dilemma. Give the spot to the person the people want, or use it to try & make the next big thing. Or worse, let a pair of part timers fill all the main event slots.

Ever since he came back, there has been a vocal portion of the audience wanting him back in that position, personally I thought it would be a great story for him to win the Rumble and take the title off The Miz in the main event of WrestleMania. I realise now thatís far too predictable though. WWE realised it to, and rightly want to avoid that.

Giving him the title now makes it easy for them to keep him away from that spot on the card. As the title holder, he wonít be expected to be in the Rumble, let alone win it. If he successfully defends his title earlier that night, nobody will be expecting him to pull double duty and be a Ďsurpriseí entrant. Then, sometime shortly after the Rumble, he can lose the title to whoever the WWE deem worthy of a main event slot and be given a decent upper-mid card match, which is exactly where WWE really want to position him.

Conspiracy theory? Probably. FACT? Definitely.

Don Franc: FICTION. It just feels like WWE wouldn't have had him in the main event of Wrestlemania whether he was champion or not. In Vince's eyes, Bryan has had his moment in the sun. Look, I'm enjoying Bryan's heel turn, but when he got injured after his Wrestlemania moment it really killed his momentum and proved to Vince that he was indeed a B+ Player. Not that I agree with that sentiment, but surely that's how Vince feels.

Besides all the politics, who is Bryan going to main event Wrestlemania against anyway? All the main event faces on Smackdown are from the old guard and by 'Mania season he'd have feuded AJ to death already. I'm sure he will be in a marquee match though. Look, Bryan will be the star of Smackdown for as long as he can stay healthy, but I do not expect him to headline a Wrestlemania again. It might not be what some would like to hear, but you cannot deny how viable that is.

I see good things coming from Bryan's heel turn, though. He has been heel before but he is a different kind of heel now. Couple that with the fact that he hasn't been heel since about 2011 and this feels absolutely fresh. I think the reason Bryan got turned heel was because WWE realized they screwed up with his character and needed to find a way to make him stand out again. They succeeded in that.

Burn11nMyLight: FICTION, but only because the question implies that WWE can plan anything other than Roman's WrestleMania opponents. Daniel Bryan vs Miz for the WWE Championship has a better chance of main eventing WrestleMania than any other Daniel Bryan match, so if that was the plan it's not a very good one.

Prime Time: Iím not sure I really understand the premise of this one. Iíll say FICTION because it seems to me if they want to leave him out, they can just leave him out. Itís not like theyíve been a model of responsiveness in the last couple of years anyway. Bryan was quite effectively cooled off by the time they turned him anyway, and Iím not sure thereíd have been any major pushback against it Ė at least, not beyond what came as a result of the heel turn, anyway. So no, I don't think they were thinking anything beyond this is what they wanted to do with him at the time, for better or worse.

KingZak13: Because up until winning the title he was locked in for the main event [/SARCASM]

Iím sorry to say but Bryanís return hasnít panned out great, this is down to a bit of disappointing opponents, and to the fact that fan revolutions are only good for the time being, once you are a little bit removed from it, they stop being quite as exciting. It happened with Dean Ambrose, it happened with CM Punk, and this is proof that even the greatest of revolutions can fall apart.

That said, this doesnít mean that these revolutions shouldnít be followed through, the WWE going with them gives them a strong character for the time being and a top tier character for however long they are a part of the WWE. Punk, Bryan and Ambrose (and most lately, Becky Lynch) are all still regarded as one of the important matches even when they are lower down the card.

Back on topic, I donít think there was any point that Bryan was going to main event WrestleMania. His feud with Miz took place over the autumn months, and since everyone online suggested it, the WWE couldnít use it as a WrestleMania plan, or that would be admitting that those internet nerds know what they are talking about sometimes, and we canít have that now can we.

I reckon either a Shield Triple Threat or something else with Roman was booked in as main event from around SummerSlam onwards. And since Romanís Leukemia announcement, they either went with Seth vs Brock or more recently, Lynch vs Rousey. At no point was Bryan going to be in the main event, he was going to be in one of the top attractions, but not the main event. So I guess this is Fiction because he isnít now, nor was he ever, going to main event WM35

Zak: FICTION
    Dog: Big struggle here, went Fiction but couldnít, I couldnít hold the papers in my hand, he went for Fact and missed, ended up with FACT and itís paper, though he spat the paper out

Final Score: Maybe I should get myself a tin foil hat? Only Zak's dog agreed with me and even he seemed undecided. Perhaps I'm giving the WWE too much credit for planning things the way I suspected? Either way, this one has been well and truly voted as FICTION

The Brain
    Haha shit, just sent you my answer before realizing I was too late! You go one week without logging on to LOP, and look what happens. Basically, I agree with everyone but Dyno and the dog!

I hope this means you've learned your lesson. Never go a week without checking in!

Still working on my tin foil hat, will be sure to have it ready for the next topic....

The CF has spoken and they're absolutely right, Dyno! That Bryan statement is pure fan FICTION. At no point since he returned do I believe Daniel ever figured into Vince's WrestleMania plans. Even if Bryan had won the Rumble next month and faced Miz at Mania, I still don't think they would've headlined the event. How many years has it been since a SmackDown World Champion closed the show? I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Bryan defends the WWE Title in the opener. Reigns leaving might've changed the big picture a tad but the WM35 main event was always going to feature some combination of Lesnar, Rousey or The Shield. And with all the stuff WWE's women have accomplished over the past 3-4 years, it feels like the only milestone left for them to conquer is going on last at a WrestleMania. This (well technically next) is the year to pull the trigger so PHOOEY to your conspiracy theory, pal! I'm honestly just happy that Bryan's enjoying the reign he was robbed of back in 2014. If the vile vegan holds onto the belt until early April, it's a bonus.