Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

July 2018 Columnist of the Month - ROB AND MYSTIC EACH JOIN THE 6 TIMERS CLUB!

Hey there, guys. A bit late, but if you had any idea what my life looked like recently you'd understand, I'm sure. I am a busy boy.

Never too busy to carve out time for this place, though, as it was, is and ever will be my home away from home. Brevity is a good thing for me at the moment, though, so let's jump into this thing.

Before we do any jumping, though, how's about a refresher on the rules of this thing?

RULES

The winner of the Columnist of the Month contest will receive the prize of having one column posted on the main page of LordsOfPain.net

1) The winner of Columnist of the Month is determined by which of the eligible columnists receives the largest amount of votes within the allotted voting period.

2). No voting for yourself.

3). You must vote for Columnist of the Month to be eligible to win. Should the person with the most votes not place a vote during the allotted timeframe, said person will be disqualified and the first runner up in terms of number of votes gained will be named the winner. One need not place a vote to be awarded single Column of the Month.

4). A columnist must have posted at least one column during the allotted time period in order to be eligible. Duh.

5). When voting, please name both the columnist and, if applicable, the title of their ongoing series in a bold and easily determined fashion. Makes it easier on us old mod folk to more clearly discern the votes, what with our cataracts and such.

6). Main page writers are ineligible to win either the Columnist or Column awards. The exception to this is if they were not called up until the next month. For instance, a writer who wrote stuff in April and was called up on May 3rd would still be eligible to win the April Columnist contest. The prize would just be a bit pointless, I guess. The reason that main page writers are ineligible to win the single Column award is simply because they could, and often do, post said column simultaneously on the main page. This is a CF award, so only CF writers are considered.

7). Please refrain from editing your vote once it is placed, so as to not fuck up the tally. Some circumstances, such as a noob vote for a main pager, are the only loopholes to this one and will be pointed out and handled by a moderator.

8). If a candidate is caught campaigning for CotM, either publicly or privately via PM or social media, they will be disqualified and quite possibly banned. Do your selling through your writing. Begging is lame.

9). Columns about columns (such as the State of the CF or End of Year CF Awards) are not eligible for COTM consideration and will not be counted in favor of their respective authors in the final tally for the month.

10). As it pertains to collaborations, there are a few variations that require clarification.

a) If it's a "tag team" style "traditional" collaboration (i.e.: ETA or The Power Trip or The Mega Column) then both members of the team must vote in order to claim victory as a team.

b) If a single columnist gathers a group of individuals for a "roundtable" collab, only the organizer of said series must vote in order to claim victory. For instance, if Jimmy McColumnGuyDuderson wants to break down the greatest jobbers of all time and asks two of his pals to help out, only Jimmy needs to vote in order to win the award should he garner enough votes since he is the blatant driving force, as opposed to the give and take equality of a "tag team" collab.

For the voters, if you wish to specifically vote for a "traditional" collab team, name both writers. If you wish to honor a "roundtable" collab, just name the organizer of said collab.

11) You cannot vote for a former main page writer until said writer is at least 4 months removed from their main page stint at the time of the voting period. For instance, if Writer McGee just left his main page spot in January and resumed writing in the CF, he is not eligible to win CotM until the May contest. This rule is included simply because it's kind of stupid to award a main page column to a writer who just gave up a gig in which the point was to post columns on the main page. If they wanted to be on the main page then they probably would've, you know, stayed on the main page. We get that the CF has a certain allure, what with the sense of community and ability to win awards from one's peers and all that, but let us not forget the reason why the CF exists in the first place. It's not to placate egos by handing out peer determined awards, it's to find writers for the Lords of Pain main page. If you've had that spot and chose to leave it, perhaps it's time that someone else got the opportunity to prove why they deserve a shot. This rule is only applicable to the COLUMNIST vote, not the single COLUMN vote.

12). In the event of a tie, regardless the number of people involved, the deadlock be broken by means of a re-vote with the tied parties as the only available candidates. Said re-vote will be three days long. If we still have a tie after that, fuck it, we've got two winners.

Don't forget to cast a vote for the Column of the Month gimmick as well.
    Just name which single column you felt was the best of the month. The actual Column of the Month. Just one. NOT AN ENTIRE SERIES. This will help make the process of voting for Column of the Year when it comes time for the Year End Awards that much easier, as well as give some well deserved props to someone who straight up knocked one out of the park in a given month.

With that out of the way, huge thanks to Rob for putting the following list of eligible columnists and their columns together. If you find something that was left out just let me know and I'll get it sorted.

Benjamin Button
    Mil and Catrina: Hot and Cold

CanadianCrippler
    Bound to be Forgotten (Part 3/14)

FrozenWaffle
    Let's talk about... The G1 Climax
    G1 Climax 2018

Kingzak13
    Kingzak presents: Extreme Rules 2018 Predictions

Kleckamania
    Perspective, Freedom, Reality?
    Extreme Rules: Iron Man Match Sucked

Mystic
    The CF Underworld: I See Dead People!
    The CF Underworld: Before We Cease to Wake Up
    Imagination and Play: An Impromptu Introduction
    Ben and Mystic Getting it done in 500 Words, More Or Less, Anyway: All In or Game Over for Flip Gordon? (w/Benjamin Button)

Oliver
    Bearly Reviewing 33 1/3 (continuing series)

Prime Time
    The Lords of Pain World Heavyweight Championship - 1992-1995 (w/friends)
    Take Up Thy Wrestling Boots and Walk #225 - To Be The Fan....
    Take Up Thy Wrestling Boots and Walk - Part-Time Pros
    Prime Time Warp (iii)

Pringle
    Crunch Time #54: How to Hate WWE - Part 1 of 1000

Rob S.
    Chair Shots Presents: Bullet Club is NOT Fine!
    Chair Shots Presents: 25 or 6 to 50 (2-Day Column)
    Chair Shots Presents: Over-Rock-Sposure (1800 views? That can’t be right)
    Chair Shots Presents: Dead on Arrival- A TripleR Mystery

Skulduggery
    Half Luck, Half Skul: August Madness - The Greatest SummerSlam Match (R1) (w/friends)
    Half Luck, Half Skul: August Madness - The Greatest SummerSlam Match (R1) P2 (w/friends)

Super Hoody
    Randy's Ravings: Slammiversary XVI

TimRose
    RPG: So, You Want to be a Rastler (Series)

Rock it, kids.

Voting ends on Friday, August 17th at 11:59 PM (CST) / 9:59 PM (PST) / Whatever o'clock :59 (other weird time zones)

Columnist: Prime Time
    Column: I See Dead People by Mystic

The Brain
    Very tough choice between Pete, Shane, and Rob. Ultimately Rob went out on a great high note, so he's gonna snag my vote by a hair.

I'll second the vote for I See Dead People for individual. Chilling, deep, and moving, seriously great work.

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    Prime gets all my votes this month.
    Columnist and column for doing the Time Warp. Don't know if he wears the appropriate outfit for it though.
    The newest instalment of FACT or FICTION is here!
    PM me to get involved.
    Ever considered Lesnar vs Rousey? Check out my latest column

I cannot go past Mystic this month, he is creative, emotive and insightful in everything he writes.
    Column goes to Chair Shots Presents: Bullet Club is NOT Fine!

Forgotten Ponder
    Columnist - Rob
    Column - Time Warp

Mediocrity at it's finest kingzak13's Avatar
    Gonna go with Rob for columnist,

Also the thread isn't stickyed. dunno if that is just for me or for everyone.
    *Ghostly wailing*

Columist - Rob
    Column - I See Dead People by Mystic. Honourable mentions to Prime Time Warp, all of Rob's stuff and of course the always giving gift that is Bearly Reviewing.

Columnist: Prime
    Column: Pringle

Going to vote for FrozenWaffle for bringing something new to the CF. For column, Benjamin Button's Mil and Catrina column

Close month, though I'd give the nod to Mystic for columnist this month, with Prime and Rob as HMs.

Though my fav column was definitely Pringle's How To Hate WWE.

CF is picking up steam, lots of good columns!

Columnist: Mystic - been reading through his July work over the past few lunch breaks; there's still nothing as unique, entrancing and creative as his stuff!

Column: This was a close one, but ultimately, my columnist of the month also scores the column of the month vote from me - The CF Underworld: I See Dead People!

Mystic for columnist. Loved the Adrian fricken Adonis stuff. Hard to find columns on him.

Gonna go 2 for 2. Because I see Dead People did it for me. Can't go wrong when you get in the psyche of Piper...just really shows why I love the CF...it's such a broad range of wrestling and writing styles from different times and places.

I'm going for Mystic for columnist, by a nose hair from Rob. And as others have said I See Dead People was the outstanding column.

Oh, I thought we were well past the cut off point - I thought I'd missed the chance to vote for Rob?

If we're still counting votes I'll throw mine in.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Looks like it was supposed to close on the 17th. If that's the case the way I read it we have a tie.

I mean realistically it has to be a tie either way, right? Either both late votes count, or neither should do, and it's either a 4-4 or 5-5 result. I'll let Steve make a final ruling on what the actual result was in that case. But since it's obviously a tie either way and the rules for a tiebreak are clear I'll step in and get this moving along.

In terms of column, we've a clear result there, so congratulations to Mystic for I See Dead People!, which garnered five votes, beating out Prime Time Warp III and Pringle's lone entry, which both had two votes each.

But with Rob and Mystic tied in columnist voting, we now have a three-day run-off with only those two on the ballot. Voting will close on August 23rd, 2018 at 18:00 Eastern (17:00 Central).

Oops, my bad guys - sorry that was past the buzzer.

The Brain
    Oh dang, I thought we were doing dual winners now. I should double check the rules more often. Both guys deserve really richly deserve recognition this month. I guess I'll stick with my original vote but you really can't go wrong here.

What Prime said is correct.

Due to me being a lazy shit, the three days will start today. You can place your vote for either Mystic or Rob. No other columnists are eligible during this tiebreaker period. As with the usual competition, please make your vote clear.

I'll go ahead and make it a full day for the last one, actually giving us around 3 and a half days. So...

Tiebreaker voting ends on Thursday, August 23rd at 11:59 PM (CST) / 9:59 PM (PST) / Whatever o'clock :59 (other weird time zones)

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    I'll go with Rob
    The newest instalment of FACT or FICTION is here!
    PM me to get involved.
    Ever considered Lesnar vs Rousey? Check out my latest column

Going to stick with my original vote of Mystic.

Mystic

Sticking with Rob

Mystic

Gonna stick with my original vote of Rob. Aka let's bring this baby back to a 3-3 draw!

Mystic. Good game, gentleman!

Rob Conway

Geeze this is blow for blow people.

Sticking with my original vote of Mystic. Kudos to Rob though for a great month.

Mystic

Mediocrity at it's finest kingzak13's Avatar
    Staying with Rob.
    *Ghostly wailing*

So unless I'm missing something, it's still a tie

Votes for Rob- Dynamite Billington, Prime Time, The Implications, TheLAW, Kingzak
    Votes for Mystic- Oliver, SirSam, Benjamin Button, Kleckamania, Pringle

Tied back at 5 each

I got 6 for Mystic and 5 for Rob. I think you jumped pringle (thats what i did first count)

Yup, you're right LAW. I miscounted.

Good show Mystic. That was a battle

Thank you, Rob. Great stuff from you. I don't think it gets much better than this close a contest.

A big thank you to the folks who voted, either twice or came in for the tie-breaker. Been a long time since I was here, and it's much appreciated.

What this likely means is, sometime in the future, we will probably get a written Vader tribute on the MP.

The Brain
    Well deserved win, huge recognition to both Rob and Shane. The idea of a Vader tribute from the Mystic is really tantalizing!

Not to complicate things, but isn't it 6-6? Seems to me that Mizfan's vote has been missed off everyone's radar - including his own, apparently.

But yeah just read through again and I'm definitely getting a 6-6 tie.

I totally skipped that one, but I agree; 6-6. Duel to the death?

Yeah it is 6-6, Mizfan's vote is above Steve's little bit but after PT announced that there would be a 3 day vote off.

Epic duel.