Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Roman Reigns

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    If he's pretty much almost ready to go, they can have him do an angle at mania under the guise of being host.. Also sets up a nice Shield moment with Rollins and Ambrose if they wanted to do it.
    I'm all in on one, final, Shield fist in the middle of the ring at Mania after Rollins takes the Universal Title.

Followed by Roman spearing him out of his fucking boots.

There is no way that you can bring anyone back from Leukemia and then turn them heel, I do not care who it is.

Now if Roman was out with a "standard" injury, then I am all in on your wish, but not with this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    The Bryan announcement was made on a Tuesday to hype Smackdown that night. How soon we forget.

For all we know this is Roman's return to TV. He's not being any more exploited than anybody else in the company. A superstar who has been out is coming back. I love piling on WWE but this is just petty.
    Exactly. They used breaking the news that Bryan was cleared to drive eyeballs to SmackDown to see what he'd have to say or do on the show. If they'd announced that he had a special announcement or something, it comes off as just the GM doing GM stuff.

Announcing Roman in advance is intended to drive ratings, but it's probably also intended to get his fans excited. He has a lot of fans, many of them young, that are probably getting pretty hyped that their man is coming back to TV.

I honestly avoid the "smart mark" world outside of this forum, and a handful of Twitter follows. What I do have though is a lot of interaction with what passes for a "casual" fan these days and people who aren't following every little tidbit and "get it" but aren't "smart fans" in the 2019 sense. I see nothing negative from them about this at all, just happiness that the guy is healthy enough to come back.

Sometimes I think that our little internet wrestling echo chamber makes us jaded.

How is Vince tweeting about reigns any different from watching the Previews of an upcoming movie, or the "next week on" for any TV show we watch?

It isn't. Vince sending out the tweet is exactly what Coach said it was. But to overly simplify it, the WWE is a TV Show, and they sent out a preview for the upcoming episode. This is exactly the same as when Arrow previewed that Cody would be guest starring.

I do not watch trailers for movies or read any info about the movies b/c I hate spoilers and I like going into movies without any clue on what is going on. But how many of us online watch and pick apart trailers for Captain Marvel or Endgame or Star Wars etc, and then you complain about Vince saying that Reigns will be on TV next week? That is completely hypocritical.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    There is no way that you can bring anyone back from Leukemia and then turn them heel, I do not care who it is.
    They definitely can - and it's as easy as doing that, then having Roman say that Seth wasn't there for him while he was down getting treatments.

It would damned impactful because of the lack of expectation for it and the moment it happens - right when Seth has won the big one, at Mania.

I'd personally think it worse if they spend time being sentimental about Roman's cancer and him beating into remission (which is wonderful news, for the record).

My wife is NOT a wrestling fan, and does not care at all about it, but when I told her last night that Roman just announced that his Leukemia went into remission, her response was, and I directly quote: "Who cares it's all just part of the story, and he probably didn't even have it at all."

I was floored. My wife is probably one of the most empathetic people on the planet, and for her to say that was shocking, but I can see her point. For the record I DO NOT THINK THAT IT IS A WORK. But...He was only out 4 months, and the most common forms of treatment is Chemotherapy, Radiation therapy, Biological therapy (works by using treatments that help your immune system recognize and attack leukemia cells), Targeted therapy (uses drugs that attack specific vulnerabilities within your cancer cells), Stem cell transplant (is a procedure to replace your diseased bone marrow with healthy bone marrow).

Now I am not a doctor, but I would tend to believe that Roman did not have chemo or radiation, as his body would not be in such good shape as that attacks your body. I would think that he had one of the other less intrusive treatments.

But 4 months? Only 4 months? I truly believe Roman battled cancer and won, but it is a quick remission and recovery, and I can understand why people, like my wife might think it was all a work. After all, Roman was over as hell last night. I DO NOT want to believe it, but if Vince finally found his way to make Roman the most over guy on the roster by using Leukemia will be the most kept secret for all eternity, because I believe it would kill the WWE if it was true.
    Last edited by Powder; 02-26-2019 at 12:40 PM.

I did read something that essentially suggested that initial treatment for a certain type of Leukemia was to nuke it with high dose radiation for a week or so, and then spend 1-4 months treating it with low dose radiation to put it fully into remission.

That's only one type of leukemia, and only one treatment plan, but it certainly seems possible based on that.

I'm not a doctor, though, so I'm just going to accept it for what it is - good news.

It's not a work. Depending on the cancer, the treatment procedure is about three months at a time. You are treated, then are re-checked, and then treatment is re-started or modified as necessary.

One of my kids when I was working in a school years ago got leukemia. During his treatment he was able to live a more or less normal life, but couldn't come to school for the duration of treatment because of its impact on his immune system and the fact the elementary schools are festering disease pits. He didn't lose all of his hair, and drugs to prevent weight loss actually caused him to balloon up in weight

Now, not all cancer treatment protocols are the same. But cancer treatments don't have to leave you bald and emaciated, or even cause much change to your appearance.

I understand that this is pro wrestling and there's always the desire to believe that maybe it's a work, but this isn't.

I hope so. Not for the cancer part, but as I stated, that if this is a work and a ploy to finally get Roman cheered universally, would be the worst offence that the WWE could do.

But I am really happy for Roman and I hope that he never has to battle cancer again.

People are such pessimistic assholes that it has taken Leukaemia Care to come out with a thread debunking the idiots.

https://twitter.com/LeukaemiaCareUK/...26051933229056

“How great the tremors will be when the judge comes."

Where the work idea falls apart for me is you're working with an existing condition that Roman/Joe had so if people really don't know that, they can think oh 'they came up with a scenario to take Roman off tv" No, he's been living with this for 11 years and now Vince is going to come to him in October and tell him and his family that he wants him to fake a relapse, then come back right before Mania to push ticket sales? He doesn't even have a match for Mania yet. If it was some elabrote work, don't you think they would have done a big angle for Roman so he had a big match at mania? The only tease was something with Corbin lol. And Roman is very non commital about even working the show.

Not to mention that in an era of WWE starving for stars, ain't no way Vince is benching his guy for 4 months unless its real.

Not a work

We know, but this is the WWE, that's all I and others are saying. I do not believe it's a work at all, just playing devil's advocate, where Vince will stoop to any level for ratings and to get the guys he wants over.

BUT again, I know it's not a work.

I get the skepticism and I would even buy it if it was a regular injury.. It wouldn't have same effect but it would be an easier work to pull off.

Frankly, I don't think Vince is that clever or smart enough to cover all the bases.. All it would take is a doctor to debunking what Roman had and no one has.

I do think some people want it to be work so badly cause they don't like Roman... which is really petty.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    We know, but this is the WWE, that's all I and others are saying. I do not believe it's a work at all, just playing devil's advocate, where Vince will stoop to any level for ratings and to get the guys he wants over.

BUT again, I know it's not a work.
    No. Just, no. Vince McMahon is a promoter, he's a carny, he's ruthless. But Vince McMahon is not an evil supervillain, no matter how people might want to paint him. It's fun to believe that, but it's just not true. He'll do a lot to get ratings and drive ticket sales but this is one thing that he wouldn't do.

If anyone really believes that this is even something that Vince would do, they need to take off their tinfoil hat.

Vince is a lot of things, but a monster he is not.

I've said in the past that it would be very hard to boo Roman until WWE gives me a reason to do so.

I hold by that. If they get out of his way and let him be himself, he's the type of man with the type of story to be a forever babyface. The question is, can WWE actually book a babyface correctly?

I think its very hard for them, at least in this situation, it won't matter for a bit but if you lean into the sentimental aspect, I can see that turning people off.. Haven't really thought about Roman's booking too much.. I do think its different than Bryan though. They're totally different characters and treated differently in the past.

I just think they need to tone down the "sports entertainment" side of Roman's character and try as hell to shill less when he's on screen. Play neutral outside matches and make it as hell seem like he isn't the "chosen one" in the eyes of the management. Keep third wall breaking to a min, and allow the man's in ring work do the talking outside of the needed build.

I'm no booker by any means, but the key is to build the fan's trust. Keeping Vince/HHH off screen from him and letting him work with great workers will help tons in my opinion.

It also doesn't help that Cole is an ineffective voice to the fans and has been for 10 years.

Cole needs to go. What the WWE needs right now is a person to call the matches as they unfold, and not to have Vince in his ear. The announcer/play by play guy needs to be that. Every team has their announcer who is biased towardsntheir team, but they call the game down the middle and then all about strengths and weaknesses of both teams. JR was a master at this, but he would also call out the face for dastardly deeds, and heel for positive actions, but he was able to sell the face without sounding like a shill.

If The WWE would go back to their own history and look at their past announce teams where you had the announcer who was basically neutral, but did play up the face and down play the heel, and the color guy who was basically a proponent for the heel. Gorilla/Bobby, King and JR. Graves is awesome, but Cole needs to tone it down.

I think Cole is fine for what they ask of him, but its basically branding propgranda that seeps into the other announcers.. its prevlant in every announcer they have, its just Cole is the most visible. I don't know how you change that unless you go in a entirely different direction. I think they use their announcers this way because they don't do as much backstage character development like they used to. So the announcers have to drive home certain things every time

Wise man once told me:

Show, don't tell.

There's things I like about Cole and things that I can't stand. But overall, I think that he's the best that they've got. Yes, I'm including Mauro in that.

I think that Mauro is good, but there are times that he's so over the top it makes me roll my eyes. "Mama Mia" has sort of become his "This is the greatest night in the history of our great sport!"

But Cole is in a role that I don't think existed before Michael Cole. JR was a play-by-play guy with King as his colour man. WWE's main roster right now has no play-by-play, they just have announcers. They have people out there to get across angles and stories, and push products on the audience. That's something that I don't see changing any time soon.

I love Kevin Kelly in NJPW as straight PBP man. But WWE isn't interested in that. They want to have a team of three (for some reason) that are just there to effectively all do the same job. I guess they're all colour commentators?

But WWE has so many bigger problems with their announcing than Michael Cole. Try watching the product as a new viewer, it's impossible. I don't think that they cut back to the announce table once last night to put faces to those voices. Even worse, Cole doesn't introduce himself, Corey or Renee so there's just three mysterious voices talking at me all night. Remember the old Attitude Era opens? They'd have the pyro and sweeping shots of the crowd with JR over top of it all saying "Welcome to Raw is War, I'm Jim Ross alongside Jerry 'The King' Lawler and what a night of action we have in store!" That kind of thing immediately tells me as a viewer who's talking to me and the last nine words let me know that the commentators know more information than I do (because they know what's booked and that it's going to be exciting) so they are credible people to listen to.

Last night on Raw we opened cold with Roman's music, and I think that Cole mentioned Corey's first name once at the end of the first segment. Unless Corey called Renee by name in one of Dean's segments, I never would have known who she was.

I, as a semi-regular viewer, don't know who the backstage announcers are. I know Charly's name because she's been around long enough that I picked it up, but there's a blond girl sometimes and I think there's another brunette running around. Cole either throwing to them by name, or a quick 1/3 plate popping up would help that and, again, provide some credibility to what they have to say. As of now, Charly is a nameless microphone stand who even wears black and for all I know she's a random fan who found a microphone in the back.

This week they did a little better with Elias by hitting his chord and having Cole say "Coming up next, Elias" rather than getting him announced by the ring announcer, cut to commercial which feels like a mistake, throwing to some ad when they come back and then having the announcer re-introduce him while hitting that chord again.

Also, it's a pet peeve of mine to come back on something other than what you said was up next. I understand why they do it, but when they tell me Elias is up next and come back with a 15-second graphic congratulating Nikki Bella on an award, I assume I left for too long during the commercial and missed a segment.

I'm not trying to say that people personally disliking Michael Cole's style of announcing are wrong in their opinion, but WWE has so many other issues with their announcing and overall production that he should be on the bottom of the list.

I just watched the video of the post RAW segment with the Shield, and Reigns was booed somewhat when he came out and the rest were basically silent. I guess beating cancer does not change the WM crowd response to him.

It's not going to be just the Wrestlemania crowds either. Rollins actually had to remind them he had cancer to get sympathy.

I think it's because they did absolutely nothing to change his look or character. It would have been a great time to do some tweaks.

Now he's back to wrestling his usual boring matches and nothing's really changed.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 04-09-2019 at 09:09 AM.

Everything I've heard about Reigns' return is that they pretty much gave him little to do after The Shield reunion. He got put in a feud with Drew that...I guess existed even though no one ever had anything to say with it after the first night and then they had a match that I guess also existed. The point is there's been nothing for him to do, he immediately went over a guy in Drew that people like and now we have what happened last night. Can we really be surprised? This is the same company after all that just spent the last few months turning the sure fire Ronda-Becky feud into what I would call a miss, not to mention the same promotion that couldn't book Roman effectively before he got sick. I know a lot of people tried to act like that stuff never happened when he fell ill (and I get it, that stuff isn't important in the grand scheme of things) but the fact of the matter is that Roman Reigns' career has primarily been him having to work through really bad creative and ridiculous overpushing by Vince. That didn't go away just because it had leukemia, and WWE would be wise to be careful because if not, he'll be in the same spot again. I just feel bad for the guy; he went through all that, should've been set forever and the company still is going to be unable to figure it out.

They should move him to smackdown in the shake up. Have him feud with Bryan, Orton, and Samoa Joe.

A feud with a heel Bryan is a must.

I don't know, for Reigns, I would feud him with easy heels to get cheered. Orton is one, I can see Wyatt once he comes back. I'd avoid Joe or Bryan for now, maybe build for a big Joe/Reigns match next year. Actually, I might do that, move Reigns to Smackdown, build him up slowly over the summer, into the fall, at the same time, build Samoa Joe as a killer for a whole year, maybe even have Joe take the belt from Kofi in the Fall, then eventually have Reigns go after Joe for WrestleMania season. If you build Reigns right, he shouldn't be rejected. You have a brand new fresh start with him. Make it count and do it right.

I feel like they still really need to handle Roman well, put him in upper midcard roles but not a role that is too obvious, I say keep the feud going with Drew to build to a hardcore match, I feel like they have a much better match than their Mania effort in them if they are given the time.

A move to Smackdown would at least get him away from the top of Raw which is the real danger position for them to put him in too soon although I'm starting to think that the brand extension is begining to break down and may be all but gone by the end of the year so it may not be the solution we think it could be. A feud with Bryan with the poles reversed would be very interesting indeed and he had an absolutely killer series with AJ back in 2016 so I would have no problem with them reprising that at some stage (assuming AJ doesn't end up on Raw).

I have a sinking feeling that Reigns AND Lesnar will both end up on Smackdown by the lastest when the show moves to FOX. I am absolutely sure that FOX wants "big stars" on their show, and according to the WWE, who is bigger than Reigns and Lesnar.

This also allows for Reigns to have a few months to build himself back up, against guys like Bryan and Orton. Then when the show moves, you could finally have Reigns beat Lesnar under the Smackdown heading.

Reigns has always been apart of Raw so I would honestly like to see him on Smackdown. I definitely see AJ Styles moving to Raw, too.

Hopefully it means we get Seth v AJ, may be the final AJ feud we need to get before he finishes that hypothetical dream list we all drew up when he came to the WWE.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Everything I've heard about Reigns' return is that they pretty much gave him little to do after The Shield reunion. He got put in a feud with Drew that...I guess existed even though no one ever had anything to say with it after the first night and then they had a match that I guess also existed. The point is there's been nothing for him to do, he immediately went over a guy in Drew that people like and now we have what happened last night. Can we really be surprised? This is the same company after all that just spent the last few months turning the sure fire Ronda-Becky feud into what I would call a miss, not to mention the same promotion that couldn't book Roman effectively before he got sick. I know a lot of people tried to act like that stuff never happened when he fell ill (and I get it, that stuff isn't important in the grand scheme of things) but the fact of the matter is that Roman Reigns' career has primarily been him having to work through really bad creative and ridiculous overpushing by Vince. That didn't go away just because it had leukemia, and WWE would be wise to be careful because if not, he'll be in the same spot again. I just feel bad for the guy; he went through all that, should've been set forever and the company still is going to be unable to figure it out.
    I'm not sure WWE was really ready for Roman to return, Cult. You look at it, and as you say aside from the Shield reunion there has been very little of value they've had for Roman. There was no clear spot for him to come in to, no storyline points for him to hit, and he ended up in a very lukewarm Mania feud with Drew as a result.

Now, I assume they wanted him back for Mania, because when you've already sold that out anyway and are always going to bullshit the numbers why not try and get your returning golden boy on the card of your biggest show?

Sarcasm aside, I think it was a mistake to go with the return when they did, and even if Roman was back and healthy they should have held off and then had him return on Monday instead. Big pop, everyone happy and high fiving in the stands as he saves Seth from a beatdown at the hands of first rival for the title. Throw Dean at it for a 'Shield reunion spot' or whatever and you've got a great moment at the end of a raucous Raw, instead of a crowd bouncing beach balls around and singing to themselves like twerps. They could have also then started to hit some storyline points to lay the groundwork for him coming back - it might have been mawkish, but Seth could have dedicated his Mania win to him pre-match or something, someone like Drew playing off that gently, and then you've got reason for Roman returning.

Instead, they brought him back fairly cold, and left him with nothing to really do.

Reigns and Shane huh. I'd love to understand the thinking behind that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
    Reigns and Shane huh. I'd love to understand the thinking behind that decision.
    Keeps Reigns away from Kofi's title so I'm all for it.

Roman needs to prove himself against the best wrestler in the World, is my guess.

Shane said that Roman Reigns is one of the very few who has victories over Taker and Lesnar, but add Cena to that list, which Reigns has, who else is on that list?

Kurt Angle
    HHH

Anyone else?

Big Show defeated Brock for the title back in ‘02... surely he has a victory over Taker as well.

Quick search reveals he does, No Mercy 2008 and maybe one or two on TV as well.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Well that is a very short and exclusive list.

Reigns
    Angle
    HHH
    Big Show

Only four people to have a singles victory over Taker, Lesnar and Cena, and it is a little shocking that the Rock never beat Lesnar.

I imagine people will say this doesn't count, but if you include DQ finishes you could add RVD to the list....

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."