Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roman Reigns

Just spit balling some ideas... but if in a few years, letís say Dean has managed to convince Seth to come <back> to the dark side and they start teaming again running roughshod over the tag division. Have the Usos face them. Talking about how their cousin would be ashamed of Dean/Seth. Let these two teams go at it for a while, but then finally... Roman comes out and unites them all a la Bret Hart forming the new Hart Foundation. And then some other faction/ group of individuals get in their faces. Could be kind of cool, maybe.

I am ALL for Roman coming back and taking with the Usos. This idea seems very far fetch, but a lot can happen in a couple of years. Me personally, I'm just praying for Joe the man and I hope all these great ideas could one day be brought to him as him and Hunter work his return, which might get the biggest Babyface reaction ever.

Bit of a weird one to me but there's been a lot of chat in the last few days - including in some places that might be more reputable than you'd expect - that Reigns could be doing a lot better than people expect and actually be a surprise entrant in the Rumble.

I'd take it with less a pinch of salt and more a whole packet full, but I thought I'd pass it on.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

If he is physically ok, and could handle a 5-10 minute one off, then why not? He could come in around entrant 25 get a huge pop, have both Amrose and Rollins still be in, and do a triple power bomb, and then get eliminated by the eventual winner.
    Last edited by Powder; 01-25-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Would it change your opinion if some of those outlets were framing it as 'Reigns is dark horse as surprise winner'?

Kayfabe wise, him triple powerbombing someone with Ambrose wouldn't make sense. He should want to exact revenge on Ambrose for what Ambrose has said and done.

Yes. I would not want Reigns to come back so soon, from a story telling point. IF, and the huge IF, Reigns can return, then let the WM plans happen as he can't return, then have Reigns be the post Mania RAW surprise.

From a kayfabe point of view, that would make more sense, have him come back to challenge the new champion, and chase the belt and to be the sympathetic underdog for once.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLostInRewind View Post
    Kayfabe wise, him triple powerbombing someone with Ambrose wouldn't make sense. He should want to exact revenge on Ambrose for what Ambrose has said and done.
    I know, but if reigns was doing a one off, and in the Rumlbe enemies work together against someone else for a minute or two all the time, AND this would be a HUGE POP moment, and nothing more, so it would be fun.
    Last edited by Powder; 01-25-2019 at 10:28 AM.

Nah, not for me. Doing throwaway stuff that makes no sense for no real reason other than a quick pop is the main reason everything is a fucking mess now.

But isn't that why the WWE has the surprise one off entrants in the Rumble? When all the veterans come back, hit their spots and get eliminated.

That is one of the reasons that the Rumble is so popular.

Not with me, it isn't. Those things were much more fun when they were wrapped up with the story of 'Dick Murdock/Terry Funk/Mr Perfect has entered the Royal Rumble to have one last shot at the big time' rather than just being the empty pop that are they now.

I do get the point you're making but just because something is popular doesn't necessarily mean it's beneficial to the product as a whole, and doing shit for the sake of doing it with no bigger rhyme or reason can work in the moment but is the main reason I - and I'd wager many others - just don't give two shits about anything that happens anymore. You don't fix that by leaning into it.

Would Reigns get a pop if he was a surprise entrant, though? Or would the crowd feel theyíve been duped and this was all just a ruse to gain sympathy for him? If thatís the case, I could see the crowd shitting on him even more than the year he won it.

No way. Whenever Reigns comes back he is getting a huge pop. The man is battling Leukemia. I don't care if you are a heel or a face or hated for being overpushed or for being X-Pac. You come back because you can, and in some way are winning or have won the war over cancer. You are a god-damn hero.

I understand that... what I was getting at, though, is the audience might take it as ďWait... he hasnít been gone that long. Did he really have leukemia in the first place?Ē Not saying this isnít a real thing and he hasnít recovered much sooner than expected... just wondering if others would question the legitimacy of it. Thatís all I was getting at.

There is no way that the audience would think it was a work. But let's say hypothetically that it was, the WWE would catch so much shit from everywhere that it would completely backfire on them. Look at the headlines:

"WWE Superstar fakes having Leukemia just to garner sympathy."
    "Has the WWE gone to far by having a performer pretend to have cancer?"

etc.

That could kill the WWE. Sponsors would drop the WWE like 3rd period French.

Weíre talking in circles. Iím not saying it is a work by any stretch of the imagination. What Iím saying is that, in general, when the average person hears the word ďcancerĒ, they automatically assume itís life threatening and your hair is going to fall out and blahblahblah, and if you do beat it, then itís a several year ordeal in which you look sickly and what-not. Now with that said, if he comes out and wins the Rumble (or even just goes 10 minutes during it) looking like he did the day he left... all in less than a year, mind you... you donít think people would scratch their heads?

Which is why I would say that winning the Rumble would cause more questions, but if he is healthy enough for a 5-10 minute spot, would be cool.

From things i've read about Leukemia, the treatment itself will likely put Roman out for at least a year if he recovers. Now, I don't know much about it but I don't think there's a point of having him do a rumble spot if he's not gonna win... and if he were to win, well then that means he's back full time.

Just seems that would be more plausible next year.

I know WWE has done some shady things but faking a leukemia diagnosis would be the worst... and I also don't think They would even think of that given how much they relied on Roman.

If you really want to get heat on Ambrose, have ambrose come out to Reigns entrance theme at the rumble.

Ambrose's heel turn started out well, but now it's kinda on the decline. The IC title loss 2 weeks ago really hurt it.

From the main page:

There is a lot of speculation on one major surprise for Sunday’s 30-man match at the WWE Royal Rumble pay-per-view. @Wrestlevotes, who have broken several WWE stories in the past, reports that a big surprise may be in the plans for the Rumble, one that’s being kept from nearly everyone. They noted that the surprise is not Kenny Omega and wrote, “However, I’m not going to leak it. Two reasons, 1. If it happens, everyone should have a genuine reaction to the moment & 2. WWE doesn’t even know if it’s going to work out yet.”

Several people have pointed to the interesting timing of The Rock’s announcement on Roman Reigns’ role in the new “Hobbs & Shaw” movie. Rock and Reigns made the announcement on Instagram yesterday, just two days before Rumble Sunday. No one has reported or even teased Reigns being in the Rumble on Sunday, but they have said the timing of the movie announcement is interesting. Again, it is not being reported or even rumored that Reigns is planned for the Rumble. We will keep you updated on any other rumors coming out of Phoenix.
    I guess we may not have been that far off after all.

That strikes me as putting two and two together and coming up with five.

To be honest, whatever that Twitter account is, it's clearly hedging bets. 'There might be a surprise in the Rumble, but we're not going to tell you what it is and also there might not be a surprise in the Rumble!'

Want to know why The Rock timed that Instagram post when he did? Because it'll pop up when people search WWE over the weekend of the Rumble and Takeover. He's a shrewd business man. He knows places like LoP and similar will report it, so immediately he gets tonnes of free advertising to even casual fans just poking about because they've dipped a toe in the water for the Runble.

I'll be stunned if Reigns is in the Rumble tonight, only three months after announcing his diagnosis. Stunned.

One other thing besides the diagnosis, and the timing and all that, if Roman shows up in the Rumble match, he has to win.. and if that's the case, they are going to put him in the main event with Brock again....Now Roman will not get booed but i have zero interest in watching those two again. Frankly, i don't want to see Brock in anything as much as i did back in 2013.... and certainly not Roman again.

if Roman was to win the rumble, he'd have to face Bryan.

Not sure if people have seen or not, but Vince has Tweeted that Roman's going to be on Raw next Monday to discuss his leukemia. Hopefully it's good news.

Hard to imagine it being bad news. You don't promote that a guy is dying next week.. Maybe a retirement speech but even then, he'd still be in treatment.

Not saying he's back for Mania but i think its good news.

I suppose, from my side, 'bad news' would be a retirement speech. Because that would imply that he's not recovering.

If he's in remission, that's great - but are WWE really going to rush, or be perceived to have rushed, Roman back from leukaemia treatments for Mania season? I'd have thought they'd hold off until they were sure he's in the clear and fully fit and ready.

He's also due to be on Good Morning America next Tuesday morning, which I would assume feeds off the back of this.
    Last edited by Oliver; 02-22-2019 at 07:03 AM.

He won the Roman in the Bank uncontested and the Universal Title match is now a 3-Way Dance. That's not a prediction. That's a spoiler.

I really, really want Roman to get better, or have beater cancer, just as much as everyone else.

BUT, if he comes out and announces that he has beaten Leukemia, and is cleared to make his return, he SHOULD also state that his return will be AFTER Wrestlemania for a variety of reasons.

1. He needs to get back into shape.
    2. The main events for Wrestlemania are already set, so there is no need for him to be included.
    3. If he get added to the WM card, then he completely overshadows literally everyone else.
    4. He announces that since he had to vacate the Uni Title that he was granted a title shot at the Winner of the Lesnar/Rollins match.
    5. Maybe, just maybe his return could lead to Ambrose re-signing.
    6. During the Reigns/Rollins match at the PPV after Mania Ambrose comes in, causes a DQ leading into the long awaited Shield Triple Threat at SummerSlam.
    7. And probably the most important: He says that his in ring return will be at the RAW after Mania, and he then should be kept of TV until that date to let the anticipation build.

He could just be the Wrestlemania host. Kinda be vague about his recovery, say he expects to be back in a few months, but he's well enough to host.. You'd still get a bump in tix sales with him being there. He wouldn't have to work a match and unless you gave him Bryan, he doesn't really have a spot on the card anyway.

That could be it, but why? What would he do? Come out and welcome people to MetLife Stadium, and be in a backstage segment or two?

If he's pretty much almost ready to go, they can have him do an angle at mania under the guise of being host.. Also sets up a nice Shield moment with Rollins and Ambrose if they wanted to do it.

And here we get to the root of that bizarre segment between Rollins and Ambrose this past Monday.

If Reigns is cleared to return (I seriously doubt he is but for the sake of argument) then there is one option they can do that doesn't involve the title. Ambrose does need something to do before leaving in April and there is built in heat from him turning the night Roman disappeared. I know he's turning face again or what not but you could do worse than Ambrose putting over Reigns quickly at Mania in a match.

If Vince is dropping that news than Roman is ready to come back. And it would fit to have him win in a triple threat against Rollins and Lesnar at Mania. Their ultimate feel good for the night. They wouldn't break bad news like this, and even retirement would fit that category.

And this won't change anything with Ambrose. If anything, it will just add to why he is leaving. He is a low man on the totem pole going even lower.
    Last edited by Kleckamania; 02-23-2019 at 12:57 AM.

I’m shocked no one here has called them out on how classless they are being. Obviously we all want it to be good news and for him to have beat it but the simple fact is they are using his cancer as a ratings ploy. You have good news just bloody announce it via a tweet. Don’t send something out saying he’ll be there for an update. Quite frankly I’ll be more disgusted if he comes out and says he has to retire for good or something. It already is a ratings ploy but that will take the cake.

Maybe cause no one is surprised they would do such a ratings ploy.

People get offended by anything. All they are doing is teasing an announcement. What if Roman was in a bad car accident that took him out for months instead of cancer, and then they announced him for a RAW to make an announcement. Would there still be whining? If he’s ready to come back or host Wrestlemania, why would you announce it anywhere else than on your flagship show.

Why announce Bryan was cleared ahead of time? That logic is flawed.

Exactly what Heisenberg (if that's his real name) said. WWE had no problem announcing Daniel Bryan was returning ahead of time when he was finally cleared. It's a slightly different situation (Bryan was injured, Roman has a life threatening disease) but it's still a case where WWE revealed Bryan was returning before announcing it on TV. The main reason you do it differently here is because they want to bump the ratings. It may not be the sole reason (I definitely think it's possible Roman requested this) but let's not act like it wasn't a factor. It 100% was and it really just comes down to how comfortable you are about it or if you even care about these sort of matters.

The Bryan announcement was made on a Tuesday to hype Smackdown that night. How soon we forget.

For all we know this is Roman's return to TV. He's not being any more exploited than anybody else in the company. A superstar who has been out is coming back. I love piling on WWE but this is just petty.

its not like it was promoted on Raw last week that Roman was going to be there. some fans actually that don't use twitter so really how much boost can you expect from social media viewers?
    Last edited by LK3185; 02-23-2019 at 03:59 PM.