Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Further stupid-ass booking. Apparently Fastlane was gonna be Becky v Charlotte for the vacated Raw title. But then Ronnie showed up and reclaimed the title that she laid down. Now it’s The Man v The Queen at Fastlane, and if Becky wins... it’s a triple threat at ‘Mania? If she doesn’t win, then she’s “out”. (Whatever the fuck that means...) So fucking dumb.

They've used basically the same booking construct at plenty of these 'Road to WrestleMania' pay per views in that past, with someone defending their Rumble shot or trying to earn their place. 2015 with Reigns vs Bryan is the one I recall most recently in terms of Fastlane, but I'm sure they've done some others at Elimination Chamber too - did they not do Jax vs Asuka last year with a similar stipulation?

Doesn't really bother me. It's an easy story for them to tell in this period. They've overbooked the shit out of this Mania run for Lynch, Charlotte, and Rousey, of course, and now we have a situation where if they don't put Lynch in the match they're a) going to have the building turning on the match with 'Becky' chants, and b) going to have a heel vs heel match for the title, but to be honest I'm quite enjoying the ride.

So, after she wins it all, it's Becky vs Lacey Evans then.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

YES. Great first feud for the Man. An untested rookie who is another Charlotte clone. Read Tito's column.

It's cool. Ties in to the Becky narrative of other people getting handed opportunities because of the way they look rather than their ability.

Becky should take Lacey to the woodshed. It's the ideal first defence kind of feud for her, while Charlotte gets over herself and they spend a bit of time rebuilding Asuka. Becky can 'make' Lacey while beating her, and then move on with an established alternative challenger.

It's cool.

You hold off on Charlotte vs Lynch...what is it now, VI? VII? until summer or when people have more eyes on it, and throw out a new face into the division at the top. I like it as a match up.

Good first feud, I think. Lacey might not set the world alight but she's fine as a wrestler.

I guess she's back to being Becky one-belt now, huh?

It was never going to last that long, in my view, not with the two separate shows and them wanting to keep both belts assigned to their individual brands. If they'd, in some way, merged the belts into one single one I could have bought into Becky keeping them for a more substantial reign.

It's good for the division(s), given how shoddy (in my opinion) the build to MitB was.

Well, I can see Bayley vs Becky vs Charlotte for the smackdown womens title at the next PPV. Yeah Becky is on raw, but wildcard rule.

I think you've got Becky/Lacey and Bayley/Charlotte clearly set up immediately for the next couple of PPVs.

So at Summerslam Becky defends the women's title against Natalya and if she makes it to the event will pass 120 days as champion.

Think she comes out of the show with the belt? If so, how do you see the next few months shaping up?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    So at Summerslam Becky defends the women's title against Natalya and if she makes it to the event will pass 120 days as champion.

Think she comes out of the show with the belt? If so, how do you see the next few months shaping up?
    I don't see Natalya being the one she drops the belt to. I could see Bazler (when called up) or a returning Ronda Rousey taking the belt off her. Until then, she will probably just feud with Nikki Cross and/or Alexa Bliss post summerslam.

I say this with complete conviction - Natalya as the next women's champion would make me actually stop watching anything to do with that title, whether live or on YouTube.

I don't really understand the hate she gets. Could someone elaborate on why she gets this much hate?

She's boring as a character, has limited to no charisma and while wrestles fine, doesn't really connect while still getting random pushes.. cause she's well liked and a decent wrestler.

That's pretty much it.. i also think she's been around so long, people get tired of them.

Transgender Terror
    She's part of the Hart family. I'm mentally trained to hate anything to do with them.

Plus, you know, WWE and dirty Saudi money, so I haven't watched in months.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    She's boring as a character, has limited to no charisma and while wrestles fine, doesn't really connect while still getting random pushes.. cause she's well liked and a decent wrestler.

That's pretty much it.. i also think she's been around so long, people get tired of them.
    It's kind of that, yeah - my problem with her is that while her wrestling is perfectly fine it doesn't really have any character to it. Which is where I kind of sit with her as a whole - I don't feel she's ever had, or delivered, a character. And she really, really can't cut promos.

She's a good wrestler, but if you can pick me out more than one match where you're like 'yeah, Natalya was awesome in that match!' (and if the one match you think of immediately there isn't Charlotte vs Natalya for NXT) then I'd be kind of surprised.

(I maybe have one other, which is against AJ Lee at TLC 2013. But it wasn't that great)

Transgender Terror
    Her and Beth Phoenix vs LayCool (miss them) at TLC 2010 was kinda cool, I guess.

God I miss LayCool.

Was that the tables tag match, T.O.? I remember it having a fun ending, for sure (I think a Natalya top rope splash?).

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    God I miss LayCool.

Was that the tables tag match, T.O.? I remember it having a fun ending, for sure (I think a Natalya top rope splash?).
    Yes, that was the one.

Transgender Terror
    I swear it's like you're me, Ollie. Except not transgender and not American, but hey. No one is perfect.

Just your bog standard bisexual Englishman trying to get by over here.

Transgender Terror
    Trying to get bi, you mean.

Natalya is dependable. She doesn't have to be exciting or outstanding the way the top draws are. She just needs to deliver what she's asked to, and in the ring she does. I can't believe anyone goes to a show to see Natalya, but I also can't say that if Natalya is booked that I care less. She's solid in a way most germane wrestlers are not.

Thing is, dependable is OK in a low level context, right? If I'm going in to watch, oh I don't know, let's say Roadblock, and the women's title match is Becky vs Natalya, it's fine. I don't expect WWE to give me a high end, top tier match on a throwaway show.

But at SummerSlam, I expect more - I don't know if that's wrong of me or what. We've gone from Becky vs Charlotte vs Ronda - the three biggest and best female characters WWE have had in the past couple of years - at the #1 show to Becky vs Natalya at the #2 show in the year. That's a huge step down in terms of the level of the match itself. I'm not especially pleased that the Smackdown bout is Bayley vs Ember, for that matter, but it is what it is and I think Ember has a lot of untapped potential to deliver on if she gets a chance.

Natalya just seems to keep getting this circuit. And, like, I'm fine with it because WWE can go to the Natalya well and rely on getting something OK in the ring out of it - something Becky certainly needs after the bed was shat in with Lacey. But it's not got any of the intrigue or excitement I would want from a match on this card.

I don't want to get conspiracy-ish about it, but it's almost like they're setting the two title matches up to only 'whelm' the audience as they're booking a third match they think is twice as important as either of them and they want it to pop - again, fine in theory, but I'd rather see them make the title matches have something going for them.

Well, who else could they have fought against Becky given that Ronda and Sasha Banks aren't around right now?

Well, for a starter, why not give Becky the match with Trish?

Why not do a Charlotte vs Becky rematch?

Why not use someone like Carmella or Asuka from Smackdown who aren't doing anything but have an in built cache of credit from previous title runs? We've accepted that the Wild Card rule basically means the roster division means jack shit.

More than anything, why not spend the last few months actively building up someone on the roster instead of giving Natalya only her second win on Raw this year to put her in the title match?

Look, that Raw women's roster is paper thin - no Ronda, no Sasha, no Ruby, no Nia. Lacey's a busted flush in the main event right now, Alexa I think WWE are starting to lose trust in, Tamina's shit. Dana, Sarah Logan, and Alicia Fox barely get any screen time.

So you're left with Nikki Cross, Natalya, or Naomi. Pick one, three months in advance, and have them wrestling and winning on Raw every week. I could get a buzz about Becky vs Natalya if I had any feeling that the latter was a legitimate threat, but one Raw win, in that #1 contender match, since March is an incredibly bad job of building her up.

By the way, of those three names, I'm pretty sure Nikki Cross has the most Raw wins of any of them this year. Naomi has two since she was drafted, both at the end of April, Nikki Cross has three since just the start of June, not to mention a handful on Smackdown too.

Ultimately, just make it seem like getting that match was due to a dominant run of matches, you know. A world where Natalya states in May that she's tired of the hot new thing coming in and being given opportunities, so she's going to prove she deserves a title shot, and then goes on a two month winning streak where she's in the ring every week beating someone is a much better one where she's a safe pair of hands and also happens to be from where the show is being held.

I also think Alicia Fox is pretty much in retirement

That's a shame, if so - always thought she was underrated (although initially not ready for the position WWE put her in, I admit) and quite wanted to see her get a run in NXT during the earlier days.

They put Becky Lynch (who I assume is a face) on the same team as Charlotte (who is billed as a heel) so is Becky being billed as a heel in this feud? She did attack Fit Finley and Nattie last week at the performance center unprovoked, but I don't really know?

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLostInRewind View Post
    They put Becky Lynch (who I assume is a face) on the same team as Charlotte (who is billed as a heel) so is Becky being billed as a heel in this feud? She did attack Fit Finley and Nattie last week at the performance center unprovoked, but I don't really know?
    I think they're leaning a little bit into what they know the reaction will be this weekend with it - the moment they announce Natalya as being from Canada in Toronto she'll get cheers. We're not likely to get a Punk/Cena style crowd reaction here, but I think WWE is being quite clever in letting the lines be a bit blurry on Becky's side without actually making her a 'heel' - and especially by having Charlotte take a walk they keep their natural tensions going.