Thread: WCW

WCW

The old WCW thread flew along at a good old rate, and I think it's the kind of thing that'll always be good for conversation.

I'm actually doing a rewatch of the very last days of Crockett at the moment, and am approaching Clash of the Champions III. So I'll soon be hitting on the beginnings of the Turner era.

Honestly, it's great stuff. I've lost count of the number of people that it's improved my opinion of, by this point.

The Brain
    Doing a deep dive on WCW through the Legacy Series was a real pleasure, and I'm honestly sad that it's all over (the last few episodes are airing in the next couple weeks, cheap plug!!). There are so many hidden gem guys in there, especially in the good years, and there are a lot more good years than people seem to think. The only really bad periods, where the whole product is lousy, is around September '94 to September '95 where fake WWF cartoon garbage is running wild, and then when Russo takes over in late '99 the product hits rock bottom and never recovers, though when Russo is finally gone it does become at least tolerable again with a few good things at the end. Even with guys like Jim Herd, Ole Anderson, and Kevin Nash in charge there is a good crop of entertaining stuff somewhere on the card, though you have to sift through some of the crap to get there. I'm not a fan at all of the late '92 Bill Watts era, but at least it's relatively short, about 6 months or so. All credit to Kevin Sullivan, who led the charge for a lot of the best booking but doesn't get much credit for it.

The best of WCW would be '89 (technically NWA), early '92 with the Dangerous Alliance, Vader dominating in '93, and of course the whole original nWo era. From Scott Hall first showing up right until Luger's title win, it's damn near a perfect run.

Just have to say, I've quite a lot of love for the match I just watched, Rick Steiner defending the TV Title against the Italian Stallion.

And oh look, it's Bam Bam Bigelow!

Man, just reading that and I've been getting really nostalgic for the old nWo run. If they concluded it with that Luger win, that might have been perfect. At the time, I too wanted the Sting win at Starcade, but in retrospect, seeing how that ended, the Luger win is a better end date.

The Brain
    Even putting aside the Sting/Luger debate, things just seemed to start dipping in quality after the big Luger win. The Horsemen getting punked with no chance of revenge at Fall Brawl was very deflating, Piper and Hogan having an absolutely putrid match at Halloween Havoc didn't help, World War 3 was garbage as always, and then the Sting payoff was completely blown of course. They just started tripping over themselves around that time and pretty much never stopped, except briefly with Goldberg, but they fixed that in a hurry too!

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Just have to say, I've quite a lot of love for the match I just watched, Rick Steiner defending the TV Title against the Italian Stallion.
    This gave me quite a start for a moment, but then I remembered the most recent Rick Steiner I watched, the worst wrestler alive contender from 2001, bears no resemblance whatsoever to the awesome Rick Steiner of the late 80s and early 90s.

I've come to appreciate WCW more over the yrs since the collapse than I did growing up. Recently I've been watching episodes of WCW Saturday Night from '92. Quite the roster they had that yr. 2/3 falls matches were regular for a while.

Twitter: @libsuperstar

Those Saturday night shows are great, early on.

Going back a couple of years before that... Ron Simmons bringing up child abuse in his promo is possibly the biggest double take I've ever done while watching wrestling!

The Brain
    Man, I really love Ron Simmons of that era. He absolutely deserved a world title run, though it wasn't handled well when we finally got to it. Big fan of Doom as well.

I'm going to enjoy when it picks up but I'm not loving this public service announcement masquerading as a pro wrestler. That's probably a harsh way of putting it but it's a real bizarre act.

He looks a little bit more wild than I'm used to at this point. I remember him being very crisp but that's not the just yet. I wonder if the heel turn will be where it falls in to place.

The Brain
    It was towards the end of the Doom run that I thought he was really showing top level potential. The blowoff match with Butch Reed is very underrated, as it Reed himself.

Can't believe this has been going a week and I haven't even posted a single La Parka gif.

The Brain
    Bless you for that, Ollie! WCW really missed out not pushing Parka at any point. There was a time late in his run where he was one of the few guys still getting good reactions for his shtick. Missed opportunity, obviously.

Rewatch has reached the Crockett debut of Paul E. Dangerously with his version of the Midnight Express....

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Bless you for that, Ollie! WCW really missed out not pushing Parka at any point. There was a time late in his run where he was one of the few guys still getting good reactions for his shtick. Missed opportunity, obviously.
    Don't worry; I have a feeling La Parka will be getting an opportunity to headline one of the biggest shows of this year really soon.

The Brain
    So much the better!!

I've mostly been exposed to the Stan Lane version of MX so that's been my preference, but at some point I do want to watch a whole lot more of the Condrey version as I've heard very good things. I don't think the MX vs. MX feud really popped the way they wanted it to, for a few reasons, but maybe there is some hidden gold on TV? You'd think at the very least Cornette vs. Heyman in a promo battle would be a lot of fun!