Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: WCW

Yeah like I said, it's less the interference and more that there was interference for no reason I felt. I have no problem with it when it makes sense, something I thought Lucha Underground did a really good job handling in season three. But when it's a match like this when Russo gets involved for no reason or when Tessa Blanchard gets involved in Daga-Laredo Kid for no reason (like she did last week), that's when it takes away.

And dammit mizfan. I worked so hard on those Sting jokes and you come in here and no sell them. How very Sting vs. Ric Flair of you!

The Brain
    Only because Luger no sold it first!

And that's why Luger and Sting own the gym together.

The Brain
    Best Luger & Sting team match besides the insanely good Steiner one in '91? I think the Harlem Heat match at Superbrawl '96 is pretty good. Love their partnership during that period, more for the character stuff than the in ring but they had good stuff in both.

I will never, NEVER understand why no one ever seemed to try a pairing like that Luger/Sting pairing from 1995 to 1996. They were tremendous, with Sting being the babyface to end all babyface and Luger being the heel that managed to cheat without Sting noticing. Seems like it would be the perfect angle to replicate and yet the only thing even close to it that I can remember is the Matt Hardy/MVP team, and even then those guys hated each other. Otherwise I can't think of another team where one guy was a face, the other guy was the heel and they got a long despite the differences.

The Brain
    Speaking of WCW greatness, I dug this up this weekend and loved it. One of the most underrated and awesome pairings in WCW!

Transgender Terror
    Angle/Benoit had shades of that too.

Angle/Benoit weren’t playing the best friends roles like Sting/Luger, though. If anything, Angle/Benoit laid the groundwork for a team like The Bar.

Recently watched Starrcade '91, so getting up there now and soon be able to go back to the weeklies when we reach the Saturday Night's on the Network.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Ah, I love those old Starrcades.

Can I ask a question of those with better knowledge of WCW, particularly behind the scenes at the time, than myself?

I've just watched the return of Ric Flair from late 1998, and it's got me to wondering - were there ever plans in place to have the Horsemen end the run of the nWo?

Obviously they did the 97 WarGames, with the Hennig turn in it, but that whole bit seemed to reset the Horsemen as a challenger for the nWo, with Flair vs Bischoff and so on. But they never followed through on that, did they? Seems like a really easy set up for running the end of nWo and the victory of WCW, to me, which is why I wonder if it was ever considered.

I don't believe I've ever heard mention that was considered, though someone might have more info. My understanding, though, is that during the time you're talking Bischoff still had the end goal of doing a 'brand split', so that the NWO would eventually control Monday Nitro and the WCW guys would be on Thunder. I think it's only... I dunno, the build to Starrcade? When he starts to abandon that idea. So it doesn't seem to me like the idea of beating the NWO was on the cards if they were still pencilled in to take over Monday Nights.

My understanding is no, the horsemen were never meant to end NWO. As Prime mentioned, Bischoff was basically forced into a second show based on the success of Nitro. He argued (correctly as it turned out) that this would stretch their resources to the point where it would be detrimental to the product. However he had no option and so plans turned to siphoning off NWO to become it's own entity. However I think (not sure though) that this idea was quite short lived, for a variety of reasons and so it just became another show. Sting defeated Hogan, but the NWO remained a stable for another 6 months before splitting into NWO Black and White and NWO Wolfpac.

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

Watching Savage and DDP from Great American Bash. Kimberly comes out in pink, smiling and Diamond cuttering. Buffer announces her and says, "her beauty's been seen all over play boy" and her face drops.

Real early Me Too moment -- real early Me Too moment...

The Brain
    I still think Buffer is one of the biggest wastes of money WCW ever paid out for, and that covers a lot of ground. Watching through the WCW PPVs I got sick to death of his rambling, stream of consciousness intros, spouting random facts off a cue card without seeming to have a clue or a care about who he was talking about. Give me Gary Michael Cappetta!

Totally have the opposite opinion! Haha, now granted, value for money, no. But he made every main event feel that much bigger.

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

That's certainly what I remember from back then. Definitely added a certain scale to their stuff, when you'd just seen him doing an Evander Holyfield fight and there he was introducing their main event.

I couldnt stand him when I was young and watching him...he had name value and the lets get ready to rumble was iconic. But his introductions were awkward. I remember watching clash of the champions Flair/Hogan match he couldnt call the finish right to save his life.

The Brain
    I definitely thought he added something at first, but the more I watched it the more out of place he seemed. I remember watching one Roddy Piper entrance, and Buffer just went on and on about Piper's "legendary kilt", and I'm thinking... did Buffer just see the guy he's introducing wears a kilt and decide to talk about it for a huge chunk of his intro? Does he just see random objects and start rattling on about them until it's time for his catchphrase?

For some reason, that just reminded me of the scene in Anchorman when Brick says “I love lamp”, and Ron Burgandy asks “Brick, are you just looking at things in the office and saying that you love them?”

The Brain
    That is exactly what I feel like Buffer is doing sometimes! Perfect reference!!

Just watched a random horsemen/NWO match and Buffer decided to announce the wrestlers finishing moves while they came down the aisle. Random dude. Like most in WCW, I imagine he just did what he felt like doing.

Here's the thing - even back then, it was widely acknowledged that he wasn't as good as Finkel on the other side. But that didn't really matter, the reaction was still 'holy shit, they've got Buffer, they're the big time', even as people were saying he wasn't as good as Finkel and wasn't as good as he was at the boxing. It's one of those deals where the perception was far more important than whether or not it was 'good', although obviously that's not something that'll have registered for every last viewer, and nor will it come across at all well on tape a generation later.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Here's the thing - even back then, it was widely acknowledged that he wasn't as good as Finkel on the other side. But that didn't really matter, the reaction was still 'holy shit, they've got Buffer, they're the big time', even as people were saying he wasn't as good as Finkel and wasn't as good as he was at the boxing. It's one of those deals where the perception was far more important than whether or not it was 'good', although obviously that's not something that'll have registered for every last viewer, and nor will it come across at all well on tape a generation later.
    Nailed it. It was all about perception. Having a special announcer for the main event added something. If WCW had their own name to do it, like the Fink, it would have likely been better. As it was, I think it was a waste overall.

The Brain
    Fair enough, I get the appeal. It even worked on me, at first. But man, the closer you look at the intros the guy does, the more ridiculous they become. I guess the upside is it's easy to tune out the actual words and just hear that famous voice booming in the background.

Yeah, the reasoning behind Buffer was clear, and I'm sure in the short term it helped. But if they were able to get a big audience and make a truly talented wrestling announcer famous, who knows how it'd of worked out longer term. I thought Cappetta had an exciting voice, but they let him go. A lot of talent WCW thought wasn't getting it done ended up being part of the force of the attitude era: Jim Ross, Mick Foley, Steve Austin. Turned out they just needed the right creative and the right lime light. Maybe, Capetta would have become an iconic voice in the right era with the right audience. But WCW was always looking for name value in everyway to build them, rather than building names.

On the other hand, Buffer's counterpart was Dave Penzer. I thought Penzer was pretty bland. So might need the name value for the main events if you're going to go with Penzer.

The Brain
    Yeah, Penzer never grabbed me as much. But at least I believed he knew the names of the wrestlers without using a cue card!