Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: WCW

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    We just did that.
    And all of you are wrong!!!

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    WCW had the Sting angle, the rise of Luger (the only reason mizfan is considering 1997 great because he loathes everything else. Don't deny it mizfan!), the nWo storyline still going strong, DDP vs. Randy Savage, Dean Malenko at his peak, Rey vs. Eddie and WCW cruiserweight matches that featured shit like this.
    Woah woah woah! Hold your horses there, Iken. I love most everything WCW except Hogan's first year and anything involving Vince Russo.

I've got huge love for Smackdown from the time of the first draft through Wrestlemania XX, one of my favorite times in wrestling. But WCW from Hall first showing up through Luger's title win is also right up there at the top for me. Both are fantastic periods and I love them both!

Transgender Terror
    Choose one, scumbag.

Transgender Terror
    Do it or I shoot the Iken.

That's as empty a threat as you threatening to shoot Sting.

Transgender Terror
    I shot him an icy glare through my TV when he lost to Hunter.

I come through on my promises.

And he was never the same again.

Transgender Terror
    See, Chop knows.

1998 WCW > 1997 WCW.

Transgender Terror
    Die.

The Brain
    '98 is overall a great year also, but '97 has a big advantage insofar as there's actually very little stuff that's actually terrible, especially before the last few months of the year. In '98 you've got Drunk Hall, the Warrior stuff, Stevie Ray with a singles push, loads of Kevin Nash singles matches, the putrid Steiner vs. Steiner feud, and Sting falling apart as a character, just to name a few problems.

In suppose yeah, once you get past the main event stuff there's a lot of fun on the undercard, though. I suppose that's just me, mind - I never really enjoyed the main event stuff. You do, though, have the rise of Goldberg and DDP in 1998. I would argue that 96-98 WCW is sports entertainment at it's best. There's a reason why they started that period by rinsing WWF.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    1998 WCW > 1997 WCW.
    Dear mother of God. Okay there are many years I'd accept people saying was the best ever. WWF 1985, NWA 1989, NWA 1985, WWF Attitude Era 1998, 1999 or 2000, WCW 1996 or 1997, WWE Smackdown 2002 or 2003, but to see the year that WCW wasted their biggest draw on terrible booking that ended with a that terrible Starrcade main event... I just can't that year cost them the Giant, Chris Jericho, Goldberg's undefeated streak, they made so many mistakes trying to catch back up to WWF once the ratings wars slipped. Hot shotting Hogan/Goldberg, Not doing a Goldberg/Jericho match, wasting the Giant as a Nitro opponent to Goldberg instead of a PPV, Hogan letting Jay Leno put him in an armbar, that whole year WCW felt like it was consistently making bad decision after bad decision one WWF caught up in the ratings war. Plus they did Hogan/Warrior, which pushed DDP/Goldberg off PPV which might have been one of the most embarrassing moments in the Monday Night Wars.

The only embarrassing moment here is you LWO, a man who calls himself a lucha fan, not listing AAA's 1992, 1993, 1994 and 1995 in the conversation for best wrestling year ever. Hell AAA alone in 1994 has two of the best events ever (Triplemania II-B and When Worlds Collide). If I could look at you right now I wouldn't; that's how disgusted I am!

But seriously; 1998 WCW is not that bad. I mean some of it definitely as mizfan pointed out and they definitely wasted a lot of potential, but there's a lot of great shit during that year. The DDP/Raven/Chris Benoit three way feud from early in the year is very underrated. Rick Martel made an awesome comeback that unfortunately got derailed because of a career ending injury. The Flock's implosion, culminating in an amazing Raven vs. Saturn match at Fall Brawl 98, was really well done and ended up making Billy Kidman a legitimate player in the undercard. Speaking of Kidman, he has a series of matches with Juventud Guerrera in the fall that are out of this world good and might be the best series of matches no one remembers. Chris Jericho's heel run was all time great and led to an all time great moment where Dean Malenko disguised himself as Ciclope at Slamboree. The Wolfpack is mocked these days but in 1998 they were legitimately one of the most over groups in wrestling. And that all pales in comparison to what I'm about to bring up. 1998 has all of that and the two greatest Nitros in history; the one where Goldberg wins the WCW Championship from Hogan in front of 40K people (with a great show long journey that sees Goldberg having to overcome Scott Hall first) and the September 14th Nitro that features Sting vs. Goldberg, the first Kidman-Juvy match, the official disbandment of The Flock and, oh by the way, one of the ten greatest promos of all time when Ric Flair returns to form the Four Horseman. FIRE ME! I'M ALREADY FIRED!

So yeah; there is some shitty things that happened with WCW in 1998 but man, there's some brilliant shit in there too.