Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: WCW

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    We just did that.
    And all of you are wrong!!!

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    WCW had the Sting angle, the rise of Luger (the only reason mizfan is considering 1997 great because he loathes everything else. Don't deny it mizfan!), the nWo storyline still going strong, DDP vs. Randy Savage, Dean Malenko at his peak, Rey vs. Eddie and WCW cruiserweight matches that featured shit like this.
    Woah woah woah! Hold your horses there, Iken. I love most everything WCW except Hogan's first year and anything involving Vince Russo.

I've got huge love for Smackdown from the time of the first draft through Wrestlemania XX, one of my favorite times in wrestling. But WCW from Hall first showing up through Luger's title win is also right up there at the top for me. Both are fantastic periods and I love them both!

Transgender Terror
    Choose one, scumbag.

Transgender Terror
    Do it or I shoot the Iken.

That's as empty a threat as you threatening to shoot Sting.

Transgender Terror
    I shot him an icy glare through my TV when he lost to Hunter.

I come through on my promises.

And he was never the same again.

Transgender Terror
    See, Chop knows.

1998 WCW > 1997 WCW.

Transgender Terror
    Die.

The Brain
    '98 is overall a great year also, but '97 has a big advantage insofar as there's actually very little stuff that's actually terrible, especially before the last few months of the year. In '98 you've got Drunk Hall, the Warrior stuff, Stevie Ray with a singles push, loads of Kevin Nash singles matches, the putrid Steiner vs. Steiner feud, and Sting falling apart as a character, just to name a few problems.

In suppose yeah, once you get past the main event stuff there's a lot of fun on the undercard, though. I suppose that's just me, mind - I never really enjoyed the main event stuff. You do, though, have the rise of Goldberg and DDP in 1998. I would argue that 96-98 WCW is sports entertainment at it's best. There's a reason why they started that period by rinsing WWF.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    1998 WCW > 1997 WCW.
    Dear mother of God. Okay there are many years I'd accept people saying was the best ever. WWF 1985, NWA 1989, NWA 1985, WWF Attitude Era 1998, 1999 or 2000, WCW 1996 or 1997, WWE Smackdown 2002 or 2003, but to see the year that WCW wasted their biggest draw on terrible booking that ended with a that terrible Starrcade main event... I just can't that year cost them the Giant, Chris Jericho, Goldberg's undefeated streak, they made so many mistakes trying to catch back up to WWF once the ratings wars slipped. Hot shotting Hogan/Goldberg, Not doing a Goldberg/Jericho match, wasting the Giant as a Nitro opponent to Goldberg instead of a PPV, Hogan letting Jay Leno put him in an armbar, that whole year WCW felt like it was consistently making bad decision after bad decision one WWF caught up in the ratings war. Plus they did Hogan/Warrior, which pushed DDP/Goldberg off PPV which might have been one of the most embarrassing moments in the Monday Night Wars.

The only embarrassing moment here is you LWO, a man who calls himself a lucha fan, not listing AAA's 1992, 1993, 1994 and 1995 in the conversation for best wrestling year ever. Hell AAA alone in 1994 has two of the best events ever (Triplemania II-B and When Worlds Collide). If I could look at you right now I wouldn't; that's how disgusted I am!

But seriously; 1998 WCW is not that bad. I mean some of it definitely as mizfan pointed out and they definitely wasted a lot of potential, but there's a lot of great shit during that year. The DDP/Raven/Chris Benoit three way feud from early in the year is very underrated. Rick Martel made an awesome comeback that unfortunately got derailed because of a career ending injury. The Flock's implosion, culminating in an amazing Raven vs. Saturn match at Fall Brawl 98, was really well done and ended up making Billy Kidman a legitimate player in the undercard. Speaking of Kidman, he has a series of matches with Juventud Guerrera in the fall that are out of this world good and might be the best series of matches no one remembers. Chris Jericho's heel run was all time great and led to an all time great moment where Dean Malenko disguised himself as Ciclope at Slamboree. The Wolfpack is mocked these days but in 1998 they were legitimately one of the most over groups in wrestling. And that all pales in comparison to what I'm about to bring up. 1998 has all of that and the two greatest Nitros in history; the one where Goldberg wins the WCW Championship from Hogan in front of 40K people (with a great show long journey that sees Goldberg having to overcome Scott Hall first) and the September 14th Nitro that features Sting vs. Goldberg, the first Kidman-Juvy match, the official disbandment of The Flock and, oh by the way, one of the ten greatest promos of all time when Ric Flair returns to form the Four Horseman. FIRE ME! I'M ALREADY FIRED!

So yeah; there is some shitty things that happened with WCW in 1998 but man, there's some brilliant shit in there too.

The Brain
    Oh for sure, the majority of '98 WCW rocks despite the mistakes they made. But I still gotta rep '97, if you're talking the rise of DDP then his feud with Savage surely smokes anything he did in '98 (and he had a good '98 at that!).

The only embarrassing moment here is you LWO, a man who calls himself a lucha fan, not listing AAA's 1992, 1993, 1994 and 1995 in the conversation for best wrestling year ever. Hell AAA alone in 1994 has two of the best events ever (Triplemania II-B and When Worlds Collide). If I could look at you right now I wouldn't; that's how disgusted I am!
    I mean obviously I was talking just US. But if we want to go Lucha, of course AAA 1992-1995. But then you got to include NJPW, AJPW, CMLL 1991, UWA in the 80's. I mean if we getting international.... lol... But man I don't want write a column on that... hahaha

Transgender Terror
    Because you lost your touch.

Because you lost your touch.
    What? Are you saying I can't write a column? Because I have you know I haven't lost any touch at all!

Transgender Terror
    I have more balls than you do!

I have more balls than you do!
    I'm not falling for that

Transgender Terror
    You already did.

Chris Jericho's heel run was all time great and led to an all time great moment where Dean Malenko disguised himself as Ciclope at Slamboree.
    This is SUCH a big moment.

Cult's pretty much summarised all the reasons why I love that year of WCW. It's not perfect top to bottom, so for sure there will be years where a company had it more together. But there is so much good undercard stuff going on there that I love it.

One of the things that maybe slightly gets overlooked because Conspiracy Victim Jericho was, and still is, the best character in wrestling history, is that WCW actually kind of nerfed Malenko coming out of that Ciclope reveal. I mean, within a month they had Malenko 'give' the belt back to Jericho in order to get a title shot, which he then lost by technicality, and then a month later the title feud becomes Rey vs Jericho with Malenko basically nowhere to be seen in the cruisers picture.

In all of this we've not mentioned the second great cruisers/undercard feud of 1998 - Chavo trying to gain Uncle Eddie's approval and subsequently going crazy.

The Brain
    That Chavo stuff lead directly to him wrestling Stevie Ray, so I'm not sure I can co-sign it as a positive.

All this chat about WCW's best year seems a good place to ask; when is the best starting point for watching Nitro? I've tried watching it from the beginning and it's pretty pish. So where to begin? Halls initial invasion? Or am I missing alot of good shit prior to that?

The beginning. Suck it up. In fact you don't even really need to suck it up because the first few months of Nitro features some of the greatest unintentional comedy in wrestling history. The Monster Truck match; Hulk Hogan as The Phantom of the Opera; The Yeti; IT'S NOT HOT (that may have actually been a bit before); Mongo on commentary; do I really need to go on? Just enjoy the lunacy, especially since it makes the great stuff later on so much more rewarding.

Alternatively if you want to skip most of the main event crap you can start things up in April of 1996 and you'll still have about six weeks of build-up before Hall jumps the barrier, and you'd still come in after the Alliance to End Hulkamania clusterfuck at Uncensored.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

97 WCW may have been the best year storyline wise, but best year of wrestling? Thatís a straight hard no. 2017 and 2018 in NJ are leaps and bounds the best years from a wrestling standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Alternatively if you want to skip most of the main event crap you can start things up in April of 1996 and you'll still have about six weeks of build-up before Hall jumps the barrier, and you'd still come in after the Alliance to End Hulkamania clusterfuck at Uncensored.
    No one should ever miss the Alliance to End Hulkamania! No one! It's so bad, like terrible, and not in a good way. But you have to experience it just to see how bad it got. To watch terrible wrestling without any redeeming factors.

In 1991, and just caught myself worrying about WCW expecting me to believe that Stan Hansen showers in his underwear, and that apparent world-breaking moment is just a few minutes after the PPV debut (with full theatrics) of Oz.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Hansen in WCW was weird times... the tobacco stuff is beyond gross and he has more than his share of weird backstage segments, but he's also got some damn fine matches in that run.

Started watching some '94 WCW recently. Regal is such a treasure in that era.