Burn them At the Stake. (A creative Piece)

Burn Them At The Stake

In a space where a white-out condition blinded most sights, yes in a quite white, indoors area with only a hint of blue hue; men in cloaks and hoods made of sheep’s wool sat on chairs that the whiteness swallowed. One hooded speaker stood, folded his arms, and said “let us judge the foul! And should we find sin, we will indeed start a fire that will cause the scent of their mortal flesh to rise to our god. Not much to our liking, it will be sour like all dead autotrophs and heterotrophs that rot up a stink and draw insects, but to our god it’ll be fresh as—” he laughed, ”mama’s fresh apple pie from the oven!" His southern accent betrayed his mystery.

A voice from the right cried, “will this empower us?’

The standing man said, “Yes, we will unite and feel ever so good about ourselves!”

“Then, which sinners shall we burn!” a voice from the left asked.

The standing speaker never loosened his arms. He smiled without thought and answered, “The wrasslers!" He gave a smile and a pause like he'd just given up a money-winning answer, then continued, "now let’s talk about internet news. You all lookin’ at you there laptops? Ok, we all got google up?”

Everyone answered yes.

“Google, pull up Randy’s viper!” He gave it a minute and continued. “Everybody got Randy’s Viper on their screen now? Good! Let’s judge this matta!”

The room quieted as the men read words like sexual harassment that pointed a finger at the Apex Predator. This wouldn’t end well. Not since Jake Roberts had any of those whose name synonymized with the reptile produced a python. That is till Randy met new WWE writers, years ago. He’d pull out his built in viper, touch it, and then extend his hand for the nervous newbies to jiggle. When they'd leave his hand hanging, he’d ask them if they were trying to big league him. He’d say, "wait till I tell Vince.”

“So what ya think, boys?” the speaker of the hooded men inquired.

“Burn him at the stake! Burn him at the stake! Burn him at the stake!” They shouted.

“But doesn’t he have a right to defend himself?”

“No” They shouted. “Enzo didn’t, so why should he!”

“Well that’s a point. But he's a bigga name; I'm interested in what he has to say...”

Shadows center of all them moved in the white. Then, Randy’s tan, tall, lanky, and chiseled figure appeared as clear as it were on HD Television. His eyes blinked like they just awakened as he turned, mouth open, stunned by the whiteness on all sides. Next, Randy felt the gripping of the shadows but could see nothing but white. The gripping sunk deeper and deeper in his triceps and shoulders like posts into the dirt, until he fell down to a knee.

“Show yourselves, motherfuckers!” Randy yelled.

With arms still folded, the man said, “No sire, no sire, we can see you, but you can’t see us. We brought ya here to wiggle that dick of yours!” The room roared with men's laughter. “Aint that what ya want, Randy, someone to shake your dick? We aint no big leaguers, are we, boys?”

“Fuck you,” Randy squirmed from the clutches, mounted to his feet, and kicked and RKO’d what he could make contact with or grasp. He felt men falling on their faces from his cutters. However, then his breath surrendered to stamps and punches that overwhelmed him to a point where he lost count of and lost feeling for their blows. The next sensation to occur was their collective weight on him. 1000 pounds buried him. Torches could be seen in the whiteness, and Randy screamed at a low base.

“Our god’s gonna love this smell!” A man shouted.

Half the men burned him and the other half gagged and puked from the odor, but all knew they did the right thing. All felt good inside, for their collective agreement of how atrocious Orton was warmed and swelled their chests.

The speaker with arms still folded walked to Randy’s smoking, half black carcass of blood and melted flesh. Then, he turned about to the whiteness on each side and asked, “are we satisfied for the day, boys?”

“No," they shouted!

“Ok, let’s look into anotha matta. Hulk Hogan thinks we still live in a day where a man can, right after having sex with his friend’s wife, say the word nigga and admit racism in private and just apologize for it in public and find forgiveness.”

“Fuck him!" They yelled.

“Wait a second, baby!” in the whiteness, a voice on a megaphone squeaked.

This followed with a silence that for a moment turned the whiteness as deaf as it was blind.

“Jimmy Hart? Really?” The speaker said, "you been hiding out here among us this entire time?"

“Don’t burn Hogan. He done so much for wasslin’." Jimmy continued, “He was going through a divorce, strung up on drugs, filled with anger and resentment and took it out on ‘the other’? Terrible, baby, that he did that! But haven’t you ever said something nasty about someone else in the worst time of your life? And you don't even know the highs and lows of celebrity! But haven't you ever had a time in your life that you were worse than another time? Haven't you ever been angry and hateful?”

“No!” They shouted.

“Now, boys hang on here.” The speaker with folded arms said. “Let’s admit that aint none of us perfect, but thing is….” He laughed. "We can see these wrasslers, and they can’t see us. So what we wanna do with this here Hogan!”

They cried in unison, “Burn him at the stake! Burn him at the stake! Burn him at the stake!”
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 08-20-2018 at 01:13 AM.

Good stuff. Prolly a little too true to do you any good. My favorite lines were, ""now let’s talk about internet news" and the "we can see them, but they can't see us" theme.

The Brain
    Definitely see what you're getting at here. The "outrage machine", as I've heard it called, is a dangerous thing. A lot of people are happy to pile on for any kind of mistake, ugly word, or inappropriate action, especially behind the safety of their screens.

I've gone back and forth on the Orton thing. Does it sound gross and inappropriate? Obviously. Is it just a dumb joke on his part? Maybe. Is it a power play to intimidate new employees? Maybe. Did Orton actually sabotage anyone who didn't appreciate his prank? Don't know. Can a person change and improve themselves? Of course, absolutely. Is a man who still does these immature things in his 30s likely to change? Don't know. Will anything actually happen to Orton because of this, besides enduring some mean words said about him online? Almost certainly not. If nothing happens, does that reinforce a shitty culture? Maybe. Does any of this have anything to do with me? Not directly. But if it had happened to me at my place of work, how would I feel? Fucking horrible, that's for sure. Ultimately it sounds like a very shitty thing to do, but I don't think I'm wise enough to know what to do about it. I'm constantly conscious of what I don't know, because reality can be different than perception and accusers are not always right or honest. So I don't say anything. It's tough, and it's complicated, and everyone is so god damned extreme now, on both sides.

And I barely know where to start with the Hogan thing... I think it's clear he's not a malicious racist, if you understand what I mean by that, but his non-apology apologies haven't inspired much goodwill, nor did his locker room speech cautioning wrestlers to not be recorded saying nasty things, nor did his scolding of black wrestlers who were less than thrilled with his return. But you're right, lots of people express themselves badly when they are at their lowest. I don't think it's right to castigate someone endlessly for their worst moment. But then again, I also don't know if I'm comfortable that saying "I'm sorry" (or less than that even) absolves you of any behavior. The weight of all of history is filled with people hiding behind a facade of repentance to avoid consequences for their actions. But whose place is it to judge who is really repentant and who isn't? The current mood of the world seems to reject repentance altogether, which is too extreme for me, but I also think it's a natural swing to a certain extent against a culture that has let things slide for too long. And again, Jesus Christ, but it just feels so complicated.

I think it's up to everyone to consider each case for themselves, try to really understand it, and choose their actions (if any, action is by no means always needed) carefully. Getting swept up in the mob mentality does no favors for anyone, but there are things that are worth speaking out against. I guess everyone has to find out for themselves what they think those things are.

Shane, yeah definitely easy for the obscure person to judge the non obscure. Definitely a theme here.

Mizfan, that was a measured response. Really trying to present more questions than answers here on a current thing going on. More trying to drive discussion than anything.

I think wrestlers are a perfect target because it's been the culture is been all these years trying to become corporate.

Definitely not defending Orton or blaming him. It's too soon to know what's true and what isn't.

In the case of Hogan what can he do more than apologise for the shitty thing he said?

The Brain
    Not an easy question, with Hogan. Mark Henry has said he feels Hogan has more work to do on himself. The New Day say they don't feel like they see a genuine effort to change. Titus O'Neil said he felt Hogan's apologies lack contrition. None of them have said he shouldn't be reinstated or should be cast out of society, but they were in the room when Hogan returned and I've got to take that into consideration. When I read or watch the public apologies Hogan has done, is he sorry, or just sorry he was recorded? I don't know. He made a fortune off the lawsuit stemming from the tape and now WWE has welcomed him back with open arms, so seems like everything turned out great for him in the end regardless.

As for what he can do, some kind of community outreach or charity work benefiting the black community comes to mind. I don't think he should be forced into it on my say so, he's done his share of charity over the years, but it could go a long way towards reminding people that the content of his character is better than the words he chose to use in a bad moment. I have no doubt that even that would be received with cynicism by many, but I think it would be cool to see and mean a lot to the fans and colleagues who want to believe in him again.

Oh, and very much agree on wrestling culture... even now it's viewed as something of a joke by the media, so a lot of stuff slides right under the radar that would never survive in most major industries. Colliding with the modern corporate image WWE wants to project is gonna produce a lot more instances like this over the next several years, for sure.

Yeah, Mizfan, I guess they really got caught with their dick out this time.