Favourite album for every year since you were born

So I have put together a list of my favourite album from each year I have been alive. I thought this would be an interesting way of talking about albums that have helped form our musical tastes over the years and also reminisce about awesome albums we have a joint love of. Anyway, here is the list and I have put a bit of commentary after it.

1989: John Williamson - Warragul
    1990: Midnight Oil - Blue Sky Mining
    1991: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic
    1992: Eric Clapton - Unplugged
    1993: Midnight Oil - Earth, Sun & Moon
    1994: Nirvana - Unplugged
    1995: Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory?
    1996: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads
    1997: Foo Fighters - The Colour and The Shape
    1998: The Whitlams - Eternal Night Cap
    1999: Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP
    2000: Linkin Park - Hybird Theory
    2001: Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
    2002: The Mountain Goats - Tallahase
    2003: The White Stripes - Elephant
    2004: Jet - Get Born
    2005: Foo Fighters - In Your Honour
    2006: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium
    2007: The White Stripes - Icky Thump
    2008: Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
    2009: Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More
    2010: Angus & Julia Stone - Down The Way
    2011: Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
    2012: Mumford & Sons - Babel
    2013: The Arctic Monkeys - AM
    2014: Kingswood - Microsopic Wars
    2015: Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell
    2016: Gang of Youths - Let Me Be Clear
    2017: The War on Drugs - A Greater Understanding

I have kept a record of this since about 2010 but I recently went back and extended it to go backwards to 1989. I tried to make it a mix of albums I discovered later in life and albums I liked the year they were released. It was actually a pretty interesting exercise particularly for the very late 90s and early 00s which is when I first started listening to music independently of my parents and developed something of my own 'taste'. Albums like The Marshall Mathers LP or Hybird Theory where huge to me at the time but are no longer really styles of music I enjoy. There are other albums from those years I would now rank above them but those two stood out as albums I simply couldn't leave off because of how much I listened to them and loved them at the time. On the other hand there are albums like Tallahasee by The Mountain Goats (my favourite concept album ever), A Rush of Blood To The Head by Coldplay or later For Emma Forever Ago by Bon Iver that I wouldn't discover I loved until years after they were released.

Of course this doesn't cover albums from before I was born that I love however my knowledge of albums from each year was pushed even going back to the early-mid 90s so I can't imagine I'll ever know enough full albums from the years before I was born to really say with any authority it is my favourite album from that year.

Anyway, as I said I thought this could produce some interesting discussion or prompt you to listen to something you haven't before so let me know what you think and maybe down the line post your own one of these up. It is a fun process.
    Last edited by SirSam; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:28 PM.

I tried to do this, I really did, but once I got to the 90s there was no way to choose just one.

1980: AC/DC - Back in Black
    81: Phil Collins - Face Value (soft spot for Phil since his music was used on Saturday Night Main Event)
    82: Michael Jackson - Thriller
    83: UB40 - Labour of Love
    84: Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA
    85: a-ha - Hunting High and Low (only for one song, and one song only, Take on Me. Listen to it and you'll find out why if you're a wrestling fan.)
    86: Metelica - Masters of Puppets
    87: Roger - Unlimited!
    88: NWA - Straight Outta Compton
    89: Soul II Soul - Club Classics Vol. 1
    90: LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out
    91: Nirvana - Nevermind
    92: Dr. Dre - The Chronic
    93: Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
    94: Warren G - Regulate... The G Funk Era
    95: 2Pac - Me Against the World
    96: Makaveli - The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory97
    97: The Notorious B.I.G. - Life After Death (by default)
    98: DMX - Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood (could pick either DMX album this year, both were amazing)
    99: Dr. Dre - 2001
    2000: Snoop Dogg - The Last Meal
    01: Nas - Stillmatic
    02: Eminem - The Eminem Show (A very hard year to pick for me)
    03: R. Kelly - Chocolate Factory
    04: Kanye West - College Dropout
    05: John Legend - Get Lifted
    06: Ne-Yo - In My Own Words
    07: Alicia Keys - As I Am
    08: Nas - Untitled
    09: Slaughterhouse - Slaughterhouse
    10: Bruno Mars - Doo-Wops & Hooligans
    11: Jay-Z and Kanye West - Watch the Throne
    12: Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d. city
    13: Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP 2 (by default)
    14: J. Cole - 2014 Forest Hill Drive
    15: Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
    16: Bruno Mars - 24K Magic (damn kids)
    17: Kendrick Lamar - Damn
    18: Kid Cudi and Kanye West - Kids See Ghost

Some nice stuff on there, I'm guessing you are a pretty big hip hop fan from that list. I enjoy the odd rap album but it is certainly not generally my favourite genre. I love when a rapper just fires up and rants.

A couple on there that did catch my eye: The Eminem Show which probably would have tied with Meteora by Linkin Park for my favourite album at the time. I still listen to that album every now and again, really enjoy Sing for The Moment and 'Till I Collapse has to be one of the all time best pump up song. I think I like the raw anger from the Marshall Mathers LP more but Eminem Show was probably where I feel he was at his most disciplined and refined. I did notice you put Marahsll Mathers LP 2 up there. Are there any particular songs off that you'd suggest?

I also noticed Jay Z & Kanye, Watch The Throne. That is an incredible collaboration, there mere fact it happened is crazy but that it came out so good really cannot be overstated. It is basically the two biggest male performers, pop culture wise at least, of this century combining together.

Also I have to give props to The Boss getting on there with Born in the USA, Phil Collins Face Value and ACDC Back in Black. They would go close to being on mine if I went abck that far.

Yeah, I'm much more into hip-hop than rock. But what I was half tempted to do was have two list, one which was "black" music, and one that was "white" music, because for many year I found myself between a rock album and a hip hop album. Like in 1994 it was between Smash by The Offspring, and Warren G. Now Warren G gets the nod because I listened to that cassette tape until it wore out (yep, owned both albums on tape), where as Smash I listened to when I was in the mood for rock. The 80's, I found myself more with rock, because hip-hop just didn't have as much good albums. AC/DC Back in Black is a GREAT album, Metalica we use to listen to all the time in the garage fixing bikes as teens, and Phil Collins and Bruce were like soundtracks to that weird period where you are too young to pick out your own music, but when you look back at that period those albums are what you remember. I had a hard time with 1985, and A-ha's Take Me Home just gives me such great memories when WWF had actual songs for their shows, (even Thriller for their syndicated show in 1984-1986). But yeah, I was so tempted to have two list because I really hated that I couldn't put on some albums that to me, I love, but it's just a different genre than I usually listen to, but I love them so much that I play them all the time.

The Eminem Show is my favorite Eminem album. I know most like Marshall Mathers LP, and MMLP2 won one year, but that's because rap music sucked so bad.

I might sit down and try to figure this out, but going back to Ď82 is gonna be a pain. Props to LWO for going back that far already. Quick question, though for your 2011... as much as I love Watch The Throne, is have to give the nod to Bad Meets Evil: The Sequel. Just out of curiosity, how close was that on your list?

My issue won't be going back because most of my favourite stuff was from before I was born anyway. But I will struggle to cover the last 9-10 years... Not sure I even know many whole albums released in that period.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

This would be really difficult if you were my grandmas age.

I'm thinking about doing it but I've got the same problem as Prime, I've got a few albums that are recent but I'd just be repeating the same couple of artists for the past 10 years. 90s I'd be spoilt for choice though.

Anyway, good idea...

Mmm I'll give this a try, but a few years will be by default (i.e. I only have/know one or two albums some of the years, they'll have an asterix...)

*1990 - New Kids on the Block - NKOTB
    1991 - Dangerous - Michael Jackson
    1992 - Rage Against the Machine - RATM
    1993 - Are You Gonna Go My Way - Lenny Kravitz
    1994 - Definitely Maybe - Oasis (between that and Parklife - Blur, difficult choice)
    1995 - (What's the Story) Morning Glory - Oasis
    1996 - Spice - Spice Girls (I regret nothing...)
    1997 - The Fat Of The Land - Prodigy (first really difficult year for me, daft punk's debut album comes a close second)
    1998 - I've Been Expecting You - Robbie Williams
    *1999 - Made in Dublin (Live at Vicar Street) - Aslan and Rise - Gabrielle (I can't choose between them, sue me)
    2000 - Born To Do It - Craig David (Probably my favourite so far, Hot Shot - Shaggy deserves a mention though)
    2001 - Discovery - Daft Punk (Wow, what a hard year. Could have picked a dozen)
    2002 - The Eminem Show - Eminem
    2003 - Meteora - Linkin Park
    2004 - American Idiot - Green Day
    2005 - X&Y - Coldplay
    2006 - FutureSex/LoveSounds - Justin Timberlake
    2007 - Good Girl Gone Bad - Rihanna
    2008 - Year of the Gentleman - Ne-Yo
    2009 - The Fame Monster - Lady Gaga (Re-issue of The Fame, but 8 new tracks, 3 of which are massive)
    2010 - Loud - Rihanna (I fear there may be a few more Rihanna albums... she has too many hits!)
    *2011 - Born This Way - Lady Gaga (kind of by default, for some reason there's not many albums I know from this year)
    2012 - 18 Months - Calvin Harris (easily)
    2013 - Random Access Memories - Daft Punk (was it really that long ago!?)
    *2014 - x - Ed Sheeran (I'm noticing at this point I'm starting to struggle as I don't listen to much modern music)
    *2015 - Communion - Years & Years
    *2016 - 24K Magic - Bruno Mars
    *2017 - ų - Ed Sheeran
    *2018 (So far) - Speak Your Mind - Anne-Marie (blame the girlfriend on that one)

So.... pretty mainstream. I would preface that by saying a lot of the music I listen to and like predates my life, so it's hard to do this (especially the last 6 or 7 years). The noughties were my teen years so I have much fonder memories, and a larger knowledgebase of albums released then. Only ended up with 2 Rihanna albums, but if we were counting individual songs I think she'd have a streak between 2007 and 2012 as it coincided with my clubbing days...

That was fun!
    Last edited by Gooner; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by meandi View Post
    I might sit down and try to figure this out, but going back to ‘82 is gonna be a pain. Props to LWO for going back that far already. Quick question, though for your 2011... as much as I love Watch The Throne, is have to give the nod to Bad Meets Evil: The Sequel. Just out of curiosity, how close was that on your list?
    I would say this is VERY close. Like it was like hairs. I actually like the rapping on Bad Meets Evil better, I think it just came down to Kanye's production. I do have a huge soft spot for Royce as well. But I just found myself listening to WTT more. Can't explain it other than I guess Kanye.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    My issue won't be going back because most of my favourite stuff was from before I was born anyway. But I will struggle to cover the last 9-10 years... Not sure I even know many whole albums released in that period.
    Artist in the last 10 years have focused more on singles and getting on playlist on Spotify/iTunes rather than whole albums. 50 Cent said in 2007, people tripping off selling whole albums, when people are buying $4 for just snippet of a song for their ringtone. I think that statement was just the beginning of the change in the music industry. Drake proves you can "sell" millions of albums by having the same song streamed over and over again in Spotify. The art of the album is dying.

This took some time but here goes…

1975: Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd
    1976: Songs in the Key of Life – Stevie Wonder
    1977: Animals – Pink Floyd
    1978: Van Halen – Van Halen
    1979: The Wall – Pink Floyd
    1980: Back in Black – AC/DC
    1981: Greatest Hits – Queen
    1982: Thriller – Michael Jackson
    1983: Kill ‘Em All – Metallica
    1984: Ride the Lightning – Metallica
    1985: Brothers in Arms – Dire Straits
    1986: Tie: Master of Puppets – Metallica and Licensed to Ill – Beastie Boys
    1987: Appetite for Destruction – Guns N Roses
    1988: …And Justice for All – Metallica
    1989: The Real Thing – Faith No More
    1990: Facelift – Alice in Chains
    1991: Black Album – Metallica
    1992: Rage Against the Machine – Rage Against the Machine
    1993: Enter the Wu-Tang (Out from the 36 Chambers) – Wu Tang Clan
    1994: Tie: Division Bell – Pink Floyd and Jar of Flies – Alice in Chains
    1995: King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime – Faith No More
    1996: Sublime – Sublime
    1997: S.C.I.E.N.C.E. – Incubus
    1998: Devil Without a Cause – Kid Rock
    1999: S & M – Metallia, Slim Shady – Eminem is a close second
    2000: Hybrid Theory – Linkin Park
    2001: Toxicity – System of a Down
    2002: Saturate – Breaking Benjamin
    2003: Leave a Whisper – Shinedown
    2004: We Are Not Alone – Breaking Benjamin
    2005: Us and Them – Shinedown
    2006: Phobia – Breaking Benjamin
    2007: Minute to midnight – Linkin Park
    2008: Tie: Death Magnetic – Metallica and Sound of Madness – Shinedown
    2009: Dear Agony – Breaking Benjamin
    2010: A Thousand Suns – Linkin Park
    2011: This is Gonna Hurt – Sixx AM
    2012: Amaryllis – Shinedown
    2013: Sempiternal – Bring Me the Horizon
    2014: World on Fire – Slash
    2015: Threat to Survival – Shinedown and Dark Before Dawn – Breaking Benjamin
    2016: Hardwired…to Self Destruct – Metallica
    2017: Crooked Teeth – Papa Roach
    2018: Attention Attention – Shinedown

Damn you young people, and from 1999 - 1993 there were about 6 albums per year that could have been the best.
    Last edited by Powder; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Damn you young people, and from 1999 - 1993 there were about 6 albums per year that could have been the best.
    I would say between 1988 to about 2002, you should be allowed 2... LOL... I just wanted to do 1 rock and 1 hip-hop for each year.

Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life View Post
    I would say this is VERY close. Like it was like hairs. I actually like the rapping on Bad Meets Evil better, I think it just came down to Kanye's production. I do have a huge soft spot for Royce as well. But I just found myself listening to WTT more. Can't explain it other than I guess Kanye.
    Thatís *almost how I feel. I think Watch The Throne has a few better songs overall, but Bad Meets Evil just flowed so well together. Like... Iíll pick out certain songs to listen to from WTT, but I can put on BME and listen to it from start to finish.

ETA... I tried going through the years to pick my fav of each. After realizing that 1982 is Thriller (MJ), 1983 is War (U2), and 1984 is Ride The Lightning (Metallica)... I couldnít justify any picks from Ď85-Ď90 because I honestly canít remember that time frame. I know thereís certain songs I like, but I canít say what my favorite album is because I havenít listened to a complete album during those years. Ď91 obviously picks up with Nevermind (Nirvana). Ď92 is Rage Against The Machine self titled. Tool and Undertow win Ď93, but after that... thereís at least three albums per year that I canít decide on. For instance... Ď94 had Dookie (Green Day), Smash (The Offspring) and No Need To Argue (The Cranberries). I canít choose. Iím out of this little game. Music is too good to just choose one fav.
    Last edited by meandi; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:41 PM. Reason: I tried... canít be done