Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red Dead Redemption

Well I just preordered the new game in thr Red Dead series. I'm not normally one for preordered but I feel with Rockstar I can trust them.

I love the original, along with Mass Effect it was probs my my favourite triple A game of the last generation. Amazing setting, atmosphere and story combined with fun game play. The sequel looks to be continuing with that formula too.

Anyone else along for the ride?

@Sir_Samuel

I'm going to, because I just got GTA V (I know, I know) with the Blockbuster sale and you get $2,000,000 for preordering. Otherwise, I would have figured, "I have waited 8 years, what's another few months for it to be on sale?"

Doubt you're gonna get a huge price drop on a Rockstar blockbuster very quickly. But yeah well worth it if you are playing GTAO. Preordered the special edition and the guide. I am such a Rockstar mark it's not funny. I shall be booking a few days off too like I did when GTAV dropped. Nobody does it better. The flipside is waiting so long between games. Quality is definitely assured though.

Along with Nintendo (at least with their main games series, Mario, Smash, Zelda, Metroid, etc), Rockstar almost always guarantees top quality.

I'll be waiting for when it comes down in price, or get it second hand, but I definitely shall be playing it sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    Doubt you're gonna get a huge price drop on a Rockstar blockbuster very quickly. But yeah well worth it if you are playing GTAO. Preordered the special edition and the guide. I am such a Rockstar mark it's not funny. I shall be booking a few days off too like I did when GTAV dropped. Nobody does it better. The flipside is waiting so long between games. Quality is definitely assured though.
    I knew it wouldn't be very quickly, Maz, but it isn't like I don't have plenty of unplayed games in my library--especially with the blockbuster sale the PS Store just wrapped up.

It's mental at the moment. I have 3 games on preorder over the next couple of months. Really want to get the Crew 2 and now PS+ decides it will give us decent games rather than the regular crap indy collection which only Uncle Joe likes. Too many games, too little time right now. I am generally a very selective gamer too. Still everything stops for Rockstar for me.

Some of those Indy games are really fun. Have you played Hue, The Swapper, or Apotheon? They are all excellent and are a nice palate cleanser after playing one of the big games.

I'm a bit of a gaming snob! I played a few when I first got PS+ but none really stuck with me. Not played any of the 3 you mentioned though.

And if you like racing games--which you must--you are going to want to pick up the Burnout follow-up; Dangerous Driving next month. Technically an "indy" game, but will be amazing.

Just a couple more days.

Best Buy is among a few stores selling it Thursday at 9 pm. I will definitely be scooping it.

I already have the special edition pre-ordered and down-loaded. Just waiting for the time-lock to expire.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    To those who get it, please let us know your initial reactions to the game.

I really hope that Rockstar ports it over to the PC soon and not a year and a half later like they did with GTA V.

I've not had a console - or a telly for that matter - for a few years now, but this is tempting me. If they bundle it up with a console I could be tempted. It looks gorgeous, and the initial reviews are really good. My main issue is having the time to invest - I played RDR when I was sat up with by newborn daughter in the evenings 4/5 years ago (and spun that out into playing through the Mass Effect trilogy in full - I'd sit up for 3/4 hours into the night with her asleep while my wife slept) but definitely would only have time to dip into this in small bursts, which I think would probably hamper it given it's a more narrative game.

Ollie,

They did offer it in a PS4 Pro bundle; I'm not sure if it's still available. Deg, I played about 45 minutes last night. It's gorgeous with an interesting story so far and while you play as a member of a gang of outlaws, you're not the worst guys out there.

I also want to mention--without spoiling anything--that the second mission of the game is a very nice touch.
    Last edited by XanMan; 10-26-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Played a bit today. The graphics and cinematics are out of this world. Getting to grips with the gameplay but it's Rockstar not deviating too far from what makes them great while continuing to evolve. Perfect combo for me. Hope to put in some serious gameplay over the weekend.

I totally agree with that; the world feels incredibly real. When you're trudging through snow, you *feel* it.

Just completed the first few missions. They really went all in with the realism, incredibly ballsy move to have such a slow pace. I went straight from zipping around everywhere in Assassin's Creed to trudging through the snow and after getting used to it I love it. It has such a weight to it and the atmosphere is incredible.

@Sir_Samuel

Yeah it really gets you immersed in the gang before you really do anything. Genius move when you consider how important that aspect is, certainly in the early part of the game. Anyone done the mission where you go drinking with Lenny yet? That really is something. Vintage Rockstar fun and comedy.

Yeah; I was laughing my ass off the entire time. BTW, if you lose a legendary pelt, don't panic; it will end up with the Trapper, so you can still get gear made with it--you just don't get the money from selling it.

Heard my first negative thoughts on this yesterday and even they came in the middle of what was an overwhelmingly positive review.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

What were they?

I’ve been loving it. So immersive. I’m on chapter 3. Lenny is a good dude.

I just did the drinking with Lenny mission.

*spoilers*

completely lost it when everyone in the bar turned into him.
    *end spoilers*

Real important question. What is your outfit and facial hair style of choice?

@Sir_Samuel

I have short hair and a short beard; level 2 of both, I believe, currently. I keep being undernourished after being overweight previously.

BTW, I tried raiding Fort Wallace last night--not in story, just for the fun of it. I must have killed 30 soldiers and drained myself out of rifle bullets; more just kept on coming out.

I’ve been growing the mustache out. I’m up to level 6 stache.

Just binged til 3 a.m. great game.

I'm trying to get the side burns and 'stache combo going (Lemmy style) but damn does it take a while for things to grow out.

@Sir_Samuel

My son-in-law is going to be a big fat hippy mountain man.

Just started chapter 3. Keep getting distracted by all kinds of stuff. I bought the guide cos I am such a side mission and collectable nerd but not really touched it yet. Just organically feeling it out. So much fun. I had a low trim and shave recently but gonna let it grow out now. Very much enjoying hunting right now. I want to try and get Pearson to make me some stuff. Still not ventured into the Bayou or St Denis yet but was watching my kid play there. Looks real fun.

I'm also now on Chapter 3, but have only done a couple of the missions for it, because I've been out hunting--both animals and homesteads.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    What were they?
    Gah, I'm loathe to do this because I'm probably not going to do the comments justice but I think they said something along the lines of a lot of the 'really real' stuff that they've gone for is more irritating than engrossing at times. I mean he likes the game a lot so it's not like he's slamming it or anything but I got the sense that he was saying something along the lines of 'realistic doesn't necessarily doesn't mean good, some aspects would be better if it were more like playing a game, and the only reason more people aren't saying this is that realism isn't something that people think it's OK to criticise.'

But I may have that wrong. I'm sure this guy could put his argument far better than I can on the basis of a 30 second conversation. He's much more of a gamer than I am these days if nothing else.

It's probably the one bad thing Rockstar are often guilty of. The probably overdid things with the eating and body change stuff in San Andreas, but ultimately it didn't matter that much unless you focussed on it. I think with GTA IV as well they got a bit too obsessed with realism and the game felt more gritty which honestly makes it a little uncomfortable. The satire and comedy is what cuts the evil content of the games. Here there is quite a bit of focus on eating and feeling your horse and donating to the camp, however I think it is a bit like San Andreas in that it ultimately doesn't really matter that much. I think they've totally nailed the gritty cut with the comedy. I need to learn some of the songs I keep hearing. Also, I came across the KKK today. No spoilers but fight the urge to immediately try and take them all out. Let the encounter play out and then go nuts. I don't think I've done a mission since Saturday. I've just been hunting perfect pelts to upgrade all my sactuals. It's serious hard work but getting the hang of it now. Plus seen more of the map.

I just had my first 'party'. Can I just say that it is an absolute triumph os setting, atmosphere and character. People doing random things as the party goes on, it had an obvious high point where everyone was sitting around the campfire singing and dancing then started to slow as people went to bed, two people went into a tent together and the stragglers told stories around the fire. Absolutely amazing work, better even than The Witcher 3 or Mass Effect which are the two games that come to mind when I think of that creation of a place for characters to realistically and seemingly organically interact.

I've gotta get more into hunting, I read that the legendary kills can really give you some cool boosts.

Also looking forward to meeting the KKK, I get the feeling you guys are a little ahead of me though.
    Last edited by SirSam; 11-06-2018 at 06:24 AM.

@Sir_Samuel

I disagree about that being a limitation, Pete and Maz. I think it envelops and integrates you into the world. You have to sleep and eat in order to survive; just like we do in our world. We have to feed our horse and let it rest; just like we would have had to back then; and we have to have a strong bond with it to get the most out of it. Yes, that is realism, but it makes me feel like I'm truly a part of that world, so that's a good thing; not a bad thing; and it literally takes like 5 minutes to eat and sleep. Contrarily, you can shoot a guy 3 times in the heart with a revolver and have him keep coming; that is unrealistic, annoying, and takes me out of feeling like I'm part of that world. The game isn't perfect; no game is; but it's amazing, immersing, and entertaining as hell.

The criticism I read over the weekend that I do fully agree with is that, while the game purports to allow you to choose whether you want to be an outlaw, a hero, or something in between, it slants you to be good in most situations (and the people you are close to in camp are the sane, reasonable ones,) but also forces bounties on you in some situations. There is no way to be fully evil or completely bountiless even if you don't do a single thing wrong by choice.

Again, Xan, not my opinion. I haven't played it, and don't have the right console to even if I wanted to. I'm trying to pass on, probably imperfectly, what someone else has said to me.

I know, man. I wasn't implying that you did; just why I feel the exact opposite about that criticism--if it is what your friend meant.

See that's where I am on the other side. I like it when Rockstar shies away from the realism more. I'm not going to be a guy who goes out and shoots people ever. My kicks are from more cartoonish action than the gritty realism of being a scumbag murderer. I think when they go full realistic is where they bring more criticism in the real world on themselves. That said, I don't mind eating (cos it plays in directly to you energy). Sleeping either when I need to change the time of day to do things. Stuff like cleaning your horse and guns can be a bit tedious however but not enough for it to actually bother me or to hold it against the game.

Last night I hunted down a boar so I could get the boar hide gloves; then I went hunting for a ram so I could get the Legendary Buckskin Vest. In hunting for the perfect ram, I climbed off my horse, turned around, and 10 feet away from me was a wolf. As it was preparing to lunge, I caught it right between the eyes with an arrow. THWANG! Perfect Wolf Pelt! Then I found a Pristine Ram to track and it walked right around a Good Ram; THWANG! Good Ram Pelt! Then I caught up to the Pristine one, THWANG! Perfect Ram Pelt! All in like 10 minutes; it was awesome.

Where the fuck were you? I've got all the basic satchels. Going for the legendary one. I need a wolf pelt and a cougar belt. I've been wandering around the snow for what feels like an eternity trying to get attacked by one?
    Last edited by Mazza; 11-07-2018 at 02:54 PM.

I think it was right around the Cumberland Forest; I set a waypoint right to where the drawing of the ram is on the map--not the legendary ram, but the regular one. I also have seen them right by the frozen lake in the north and in the area where the legendary buck is north of Strawberry. There were also a couple of strangers I killed and then checked their camp and they had a perfect wolf pelt hanging up by the fire. The only cougar I have run into so far attacked me from behind and ripped my throat out.

EDIT: Also remember that wolves are nocturnal creatures, so you're mostly going to see them between evening and dawn.
    Last edited by XanMan; 11-07-2018 at 06:39 PM.

Bizarrely, gave up, went to look for the cougar instead (where it killed me 3 times while I was hunting elk), couldn't find the cougar but found a wolf lol