Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I can add spoilers to the thread title if that is any use?

Seems like that's where the future of the thread will be going anyway.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

yeah makes sense. It's almost 6 months since release at this point

Ok thanks Prime...

So the fact it took me 5 months to finish it says a lot. It was great but really really heavy. I think the problem is this. Once you knew the writing was on the wall for Arthur and then go into the epilogue and know the first game, it's straight up depressing. It's like an endless loop of no hope no matter what you do. I want a win. I really want some DLC that sees a happy ending for Sadie or Charles. I think generally Rockstar are pretty damn good at cutting the grit and grime with comedy, and while there was some of the latter in RDR2, probably not enough when dealing with so many serious sad issues. It is still an absolute masterpiece in storytelling. I do agree that variation in gameplay late on would have been a lot more ideal for just how big a game it was.

Yeah you are right, a large driving force for Arthur post the Island chapter was helping John and his family get out of that life.

I think the larger narrative across all the games is that you can never outrun your past and you can never out run progress. Both Arthur and John's pasts caught up with them and presumably Jack's will too. The redemption comes in how they both die: trying to give a better future to those that come after them.

I must say that it was heart breaking to see how innocent Jack was as a kid knowing what would happen to him down the line.

Still a beautiful narrative and Arthur is an amazing character.

I think ultimately I would rank God of War (I think you played that too Mazz) slightly above RDR though just because it was tighter in what it was doing story wise and didn't seem to drag towards the end.

Having said that there are very few more transcendent moments in gaming than when the voices from Arthur's past drifted in with the music heading to the penultimate (I think) mission. Maybe the final level in Braid, maybe the death of Mordin in Mass Effect 3, perhaps the ending of The Last of Us but I can't think of many more than that.

Yeah absolutely. I really enjoyed God of War but I'd still have RDR2 as my number one. I am just such a Rockstar fan boy and that basic open world and level of freedom/quality of side missions just will always set them apart for me. The music in general is absolutely spot on in the game and definitely in those late missions it really hits the spot. Do you realise there are different endings for Arthur in the main story. My kid played through and didn't improve his reputation late on and Micah actually kills Arthur.