The IIconics thread

I didn't see one, so here is something for The IIconics.

I didn't watch them in NXT, and when they were drafted to Smackdown, I sort of hated them. Since then, they've really grown on me.

And there is something about their theme song. I feel like it reminds me of a flamboyant RPG character - for any of those that play those sorts of games.

At the moment of this posting, they've each got a win over Naomi. I don't know what they're doing with this story. It seems like filler to establish one over the other right now, but it'd be nice if it turned into something credible. Am I the only one they've grown on? I don't think they're at top tier level right now, but it'd be good to establish them as a credible duo for when the Women's tag titles get introduced.... If they get introduced.

I like the IIconics and they improved in NXT in-ring (especially Peyton Royce). They remind me of Laycool a little bit, but with even more upside.

I hate the name. Every time I hear it, it makes me think of the word colonics. Plus TWO I's!? Iconic Duo was so much better, sounds natural to say and just works.

I get they wanted to do the logo with the silhouettes, but there's two I's in iconic already that they could have made it work with.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    I didn't pay much attention to them in NXT, admittedly, but I dig them a lot now on Smackdown. They're one of the most entertaining parts of the show. I do wish that they were a bit more of a threat when it comes to actual matches since I feel like they lose a lot more than they should. I mean, they're heels and all so they should lose but it doesn't seem like they pull off too many wins either to get that heat. I don't blame them, it just seems like that the show is structured around just one main feud for women these days.

If the long-standing rumor of the WWE creating tag team championships for the women's division comes true, they would probably be the ones to gain the most out of that deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    I didn't pay much attention to them in NXT, admittedly, but I dig them a lot now on Smackdown. They're one of the most entertaining parts of the show. I do wish that they were a bit more of a threat when it comes to actual matches since I feel like they lose a lot more than they should. I mean, they're heels and all so they should lose but it doesn't seem like they pull off too many wins either to get that heat. I don't blame them, it just seems like that the show is structured around just one main feud for women these days.

If the long-standing rumor of the WWE creating tag team championships for the women's division comes true, they would probably be the ones to gain the most out of that deal.
    Maybe them being a non threat during their debut run was what bothered me. I get kind of burnt on the "non-serious jobbers" who are kind of personalities and get air time, but it's for nothing. So I thought they weren't credible and just sort of there. I'd love if they got a serious push. It seems to be going that way...?

I'm really hopeful we get these two against LayCool at Evolution. It seems like an obvious booking choice to me, if McCool and Layla are going to be involved. The former is very heavily rumoured, but I've not heard much on the latter.

Anyway, I love these two with all my heart.

I've not seen too much of them since they were promoted (pretty much given up by then) but from what I can tell they seem to be filling an important, if slightly unheralded, role on the show - where they take a fair few beatings and make other people look better. Is that about right or is there more for them out there than this?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

They are enhancement talent and are completely annoying on the mic. I never saw them in NXT, but if their act was the same, I don't know how they were popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    They are enhancement talent and are completely annoying on the mic. I never saw them in NXT, but if their act was the same, I don't know how they were popular.
    Their looks, of course.

I think the act were better promo wise in NXT. Also, I think Peyton Royce has regressed in the ring and they didn't go with the big push when they probably should have...
    Last edited by LK3185; 11-30-2018 at 11:28 AM.

I don't know if they were popular. They annoyed people and the NXT crowd are more willing to be annoyed by a heel. The main shows seem to expect them to be awesome all the time and like people you'd want to cheer even though they are heels.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLostInRewind View Post
    Their looks, of course.
    That's some bad bullshit, right there.

They were popular on NXT because they were entertaining on NXT. They were just grating, awful heels, a little bit egotistical, and the crowd responded to them being those characters. I don't think they've been given a decent shot on the main roster, which is a shame.

They might get the shot now, what with the big Mania win. How long do they keep the belts for?

I fear it'll be one, maybe two, pay per views. Which is not what the belts need right now, they need a solid establishing run. Ideally, for me, it would up to SummerSlam.

Bayley and Sasha should have been the ones to establish the belts since they were the first Women's tag team champions, but since that can no longer be the case, I guess the Iiconics will. I'd much prefer if they weren't a comedy type of duo, but oh well.

I don't think they are a comedy act at all. They are arrogant heels. Honestly I thought it was predictable they'd win at Wrestlemania since the titles would do more for them than any other pair, plus they are the only real tag team.

Very fitting that the first Australian tag team in WWE since the Fabulous Kangaroos are heels.

Twitter: @libsuperstar

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    I don't think they are a comedy act at all. They are arrogant heels. Honestly I thought it was predictable they'd win at Wrestlemania since the titles would do more for them than any other pair, plus they are the only real tag team.
    This, entirely. For me they're annoying heels who play the comedy side of it lightly and with a good touch. Their recent backstage work has been terrific from a character and fun perspective, and despite being a mark for Bayley I'm already enjoying them as champions much more than Boss n Hug.

There's a line of thought, for me, that the 'Four Horsewomen' and a lot of the top level women since the Revolution all take this far too seriously. It's really po-faced, in a lot of ways, and that serves a purpose in making it all feel a bit more important and legitimate, but also kind of slowly sucks the fun out of things. It's why Becky's off screen stuff with Ronda was so enjoyable - there was a good element of with there, which it seems we don't get from anyone on screen.

I think that makes the IIconics kind of important, because while they aren't a comedy act, they are certainly comical and fun. It brings a sense of levity to the female side of things that we don't get in the main event picture.

I must confess that I haven't seen too much of it since promotion, but it's felt more to me like they were arrogant heels in NXT, and are playing a kind of pastiche of arrogant heels for laughs on the main roster.

As for taking it too seriously, I could stand everyone taking it a whole lot more serious than they do. Still feels like playtime rather than anything with any stakes more often than not, women and men both.