Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    The Brain
    Definitely difficult to separate hopes and expectations from that mentality of simply waiting to see what happens next. For my own defense (not that I think you're accusing me), I'll say I'm extremely open towards changing my opinion as I watch along. I love Kingston, so it's inevitably going to discourage me to see him fail (in or out of story, for that matter). But if they turn around and make it into something that appeals to me, I'll be first in line to sing their praises.

But as you say, we all watch differently, and some may not want to wait to see what happens if they see something they don't like. It's a tough balance in any medium, I think. I suppose the key is embracing the difference between wanting something to happen a certain way and not being able to accept it if things happen any differently.

I wasn't accusing, just adding to the continuing conversation.

Y'know, it's interesting. Because I don't find it difficult to do with a good product - in fact, it's sort of the main way of determining what is a good product. When things are done badly, I find it's too easy to slip into the more critical mode, thinking about what they could have done instead of what they are doing. And to be honest if I'm thinking about what they could have done instead rather than what happened, it's a sign that I don't really care about what's happening - because after all, it's all just staged and they can change it any time they like so why give a damn?

But I have the same principle at work in my professional life, not just wrestling. I try and lose myself in whatever I'm reading or watching first and only bring the critical aspect to it later. I think there's so much that you miss if you're stuck with that distance that being analytical always imposes, and I think it actually makes me better when the time comes that I have experienced how well (or otherwise) it works.

I guess this is a long-winded way of saying what I really want is to just enjoy the ride, and deep down I think that's all anyone is really asking for when they complain about things being too silly, or looking too-staged, or choreographed, or whatever. It's that it stops you enjoying the ride, takes you out of it and almost forces you to think about how they could have done it differently.

But when you're lost in it... when who holds that belt matters, when the result of the match matters, when it's a contest not a booking decision and you're upset that your guy didn't win it rather than disappointed that they chose wrong.... to quote Dusty Rhodes, "woo! That's Funky. That's the American Dream!"

By the way, they are keeping up with the PR campaign. Joe Galli and Thunder Rosa liked/retweeted a couple of things I said after last week's show and I can't imagine I was alone. Not the first time, either, so it does seem like they're trying to build a connection with the audience through social media when the show is broadcast. Create a bit of brand loyalty.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Thunder Rosa has a Kevin Sullivan vibe to her...im digging her. A young 1980s cult leader Sullivan vibe, not an over the hill cartoon sullivan vibe
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:29 PM.
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

The Brain
    All good Pen, I'm feeling what you're saying!

Benny isn't the first I've seen comparing Rose to prime Sullivan. I'm not sure I see it yet, but I can at least see potential for it. I've seen some complain about the women's division but so far I've enjoyed it pretty well. I like Allysin Kay, Thunder Rosa, and I think they should consider developing Ashley Vox into more than a jobber role. That's a little sparse for a division, but you could say the same about the tag division. I'm interested to see who may cycle in and out when the next set of tapings come around.

So, highlights.

1) Aldis opening the show. Carries himself like the world champion, obviously not going to wrestle a title match against an unranked opponent, and is clearly rattled by some of the other stuff that's going on.

2) Eli Drake - dastardly attack but what ingenuity to use something that could plausibility be found around the ring....

3) Aron Stevens wrestling in street clothes because he turned up not expecting to wrestle was a nice touch. Him getting the cheapest win possible was another.

4) Thunder Rosa beat the champ, so presumably that match is something we'll see sooner rather than later. Melina is a bit of a cliffhanger too.

5) Speaking of cliffhangers, that ending was well carried off, too.

Transgender Terror
    Jim Cornette, oh no...

Prime watched it just in time. Apparently the show has been taken down because Cornette went all Cornette and NWA now needs to edit his commentary out.

He’s seriously not worth the trouble he brings. This will happen again

It's back up now.

In real time some of the implications didn't occur to me until I saw people complaining on Twitter - maybe because I'm not American - though the line did strike me as 'bad taste' even without that, and was more than a bit jarring.

Well that's too damn bad. I haven't watch this week's show yet, but it's just a shame because of what Cornette brought to the program. I dunno, I don't find it offensive, and I don't necessarily think he should have lost his job over a joke, but it is what it is.

This isn't just me, the fan of Cornette, either. If someone said the same line on Raw, SmackDown or AEW I'd probably chuckle. People need to lighten up. Not everything is the end of the world.

Agreed, COACH, but that's not what's going to happen. Plus, while I don't think he meant anything racist (I think Harlem would have been the punchline instead of Ethiopia if that was the case) , but rather distasteful as it does make light of starving people.

Either way, even if people need to lighten up, it won't be Cornette that will turn things around. He's already a liability to the left wing cancel culture (who eat their own), and NWA is in the midst of elevating themselves to a new level. It's just not worth it.

Plus, there isn't a shortage of guys who can replace Cornette. Not saying they'd all be as good, but any former mainstream talent can fit in that chair and bring attention to NWA. Tazz would be my first choice, as he isn't on every AEW Dark, so should still be available.

Basically, life's too sort to be offended all the time, but life's too short for a company to stand by a guy who routinely pushes these buttons.

Damn Pen for summing it up before I had the chance to. The basic gist is it doesn't matter if it was truly offensive or if people needed to lighten up; the fact of the matter is that people were talking about this controversy (for the second week in a row mind you) and not the show, which means this was starting to overshadow the product. He had to go for that alone.

What was his controversy last week? I really can't remember, that's how fast this shit moves. Who'd he tell to go fuck themselves?

How much of this is just the chunk of wrestling Twitter that's decided that don't like Cornette -- there's a big section of that subculture who listens to nothing Cornette says, assumes they know and make accusations against him -- piling on and seeing their opportunity with one questionable statement?

This whole thing turns me off of NWA so much. If they thought that line was so egregious it warranted the ol' "resign or we'll have to fire you" treatment, there's no reason it should have made air on a show taped months ago.

But this isn't just one questionable statement! This yet another questionable statement to go along with a half dozen (at least) other questionable statements this year alone. And while I'm sure you personally can and will hand wave a ton of them Coach it still doesn't change the fact that they all caused an uproar and at this point are serving more as a distraction to the NWA than anything else. Just look at this thread; after Prime's initial comment there hasn't been a single comment about last night's NWA show. Across the internet the talk about the NWA is over this incident, not last night's episode. For that alone he has to go. Like Pen said, you can find numerous commentators out there who may not give you quite what Cornette does but can get close enough while also not distracting fans from the product with controversial statements, whether you decree them to be controversial or not. This was the right call.

Now that said I do agree with you on one point; this show was taped months ago. The NWA clearly knew this line beforehand, could've done something to remove it and did nothing. They're not heroes in this story either.

The reason I won't fault NWA as much as you guys are is that because I don't believe the joke was racist nor offensive, I would understand the idea what whoever is editing or checking for comments might have let it go too.

Wow, came to this thread because I loved the show and read all this. I don't even know what he's supposed to have said and really don't care. I don't see Cornette as easily replaceable as others, as he has a real handle on wrestling history and is a big part of NWA history and that"s what this show is about.

I really liked the show. We're starting to see heels and faces become defined. Loved seeing the exhibition with Aldis looking like a true world champion. The Champ coming out and doing an exhibition is a hallmark of the old NWA. Aldis looked fantastic. Murdoch was hard hitting.

But if we're going to look for controversy, I don't understand why my man Austin Idol's Bill Cosby drink gets a pass every week.
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15v2 View Post
    The reason I won't fault NWA as much as you guys are is that because I don't believe the joke was racist nor offensive, I would understand the idea what whoever is editing or checking for comments might have let it go too.
    Oh I agree with that entirely, but if that's the case either own up to it, say that you don't feel what he said was inappropriate, and accept any backlash that might ensue (read: none because I'll bet 95% of the people saying things aren't regular viewers anyway), or decide that it is inappropriate and edit it off the show and speak to Cornette about it like I said.

They took the easy way of throwing the guy under the bus. I'm not going to cry tears for a guy with a successful merch business and two successful podcasts who hates traveling to begin with and has claimed over and over that he doesn't need the work. It just feels really hypocritical to me.

This feels more like buyers remorse on Corgan's part than anything. He knew when he hired Cornette that he was getting a guy who speaks purposely in hyperbole (it's part of what makes him such a good announcer), is despised by part of the wrestling fanbase and is going to use both of those facts to strike nerves. This was a convenient out.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Button View Post
    Wow, came to this thread because I loved the show and read all this. I don't even know what he's supposed to have said and really don't care. I don't see Cornette as easily replaceable as others, as he has a real handle on wrestling history and is a big part of NWA history and that"s what this show is about.

I really liked the show. We're starting to see heels and faces become defined. Loved seeing the exhibition with Aldis looking like a true world champion. The Champ coming out and doing an exhibition is a hallmark of the old NWA. Aldis looked fantastic. Murdoch was hard hitting.

But if we're going to look for controversy, I don't understand why my man Austin Idol's Bill Cosby drink gets a pass every week.
    I'll be checking out the show when I get home from work this evening. I'm looking forward to Murdoch vs Aldis, actually. Murdoch is really in his element in NWA and I love it.

I don't know who you get to replace Cornette. I don't think Taz is the guy, because (haha) he's too "northern". Christian is a former NWA Heavyweight Champion, what's he up to these days?

EDIT: Are there any unknowns from the "Championship Wrestling From..." promotions that would fit the role?

Bob Caudle is still kicking..wheel his ass in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Damn Pen for summing it up before I had the chance to. The basic gist is it doesn't matter if it was truly offensive or if people needed to lighten up; the fact of the matter is that people were talking about this controversy (for the second week in a row mind you) and not the show, which means this was starting to overshadow the product. He had to go for that alone.
    This is spot on. Cornette has done this same exact joke for years but in 2019, its not going to be forgotten or just chuckled at.

I honestly watched NWA with the knowledge that Cornette is a piece of shit but that he was a good commentator for this program and all he had to do was make sure NWA (his employer) didn't have to clean up mess after mess that he caused. He couldn't do that. His job was to put over NWA wrestling , his job wasn't to be a comedian with outdated jokes.

Guys, you're missing it. Austin Idol is up there promoting drug facilitated sexual assault every single week. He calls it a kayfabe cocktail. Im trying to blow the whistle, but nobody's listening.

Let's get together in a mob and tear shit apart and kick and scream.
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:18 PM.

Sometimes I get why people just want society to burn. Part of why I watched the NWA was I thought it would be at least 5 years until they were big enough to need to bend the knee every few weeks, but I guess that is just life now.

I was there to watch Aldis-Murdoch. Before the Cornette thing, I was already finding myself tiring of that crowd in Atlanta, as they are already trying to make themselves the story. Aldis has to sit there and explain twice why he's not defending the title against Murdoch (in realtiy, it STRENGTHENS the belt and the company not to WHILE lifting Murdoch). Yet, those idiots keep interjecting themselves. Then they cheer Question Mark while he's doing heel shit, chant his name during interviews that have nothing to do with him.

All my life I was made to believe, by society, that narcissism comes with individualism. As a creative writer, for example, people would call it solipsism or naval gazing, but in the last twenty years, the majority of narcissism that I've seen has been collective narcissism. Put a group together, by any identifying force, and give them some time, and let the collective narcissism begin.

If you find the Cornette thing offensive cool. If not, cool. I honestly don't care. I just want to watch something where the thing can be the thing. For instance, if it's pro wrestling, pro wrestling can be the thing. Not the politics around it. Not the fans taking over shows. Not the shooty-shoot, who did what behind the curtain.

I only wanted to watch Nick Aldis vs. Trevor Murdoch.

I kept clicking. Counting down the hours.

Again. I'm not going to argue with anyone any which way about any of this. I'm just one person with one opinion, and I can likely be as wrong as I can be right, sometimes in the same thought.

I didn't think Cornette/Journalist Joe were a good team anyway. I don't really care that he's gone. But once you bow the knee, they will likely never be satisfied.

I wish they'd focus on the wrestling. Turn down the microphones that pick up the fans in the building. And let folks wrestle.

Now, I'm off, to watch Aldis-Murdoch for the second time. Because I enjoyed it. And because I watch wrestling for the wrestling.

How does Cornette's joke have anything to do with wrestling? Just because he's used it for fucking 40 years doesn't mean that it has a place in wrestling. I get people not caring or not finding the bad taste in the joke or even didn't think it was offensive but you can't make an argument for that to be a thing in wrestling.

All he had to do was evolve with society and he wouldn't be without a job right now. It shouldn't have been that hard to commentate like a normal person in 2019. Especially since He had done it for weeks now with zero issues.

A little nervous, as they will be announcing Aldis' Into the Fire opponent tonight. Been hoping it would be someone outside the company, so that they can have longer to build to Aldis-Drake. Aside from Drake, as far as inside the company, I can't see anyone I'd spend 20-25 dollars to watch challenge Aldis for the ten pounds of gold right now.

The Brain
    Hoping it won't be James Storm. Going outside would be smart, but I wonder who is on the table who would look worthy of a shot walking in the door?

It's all confusing, especially if it's one-on-one. Story wise, Eli Drake makes more sense against Tim Storm or James Storm. No idea who they could bring in, but it wouldn't have to be a "great" talent, just someone they could build for the match (comparative level right now is James Storm and Eli Drake). Freaking Marty Scurll is wrestling the December Roh PPV in a tag match with Flip to open the show, so the world is off its hinges currently. Ideally, for me, it would be anyone outside the company, as Nick Aldis already warned them that if nobody stepped up he would go outside the company. But that was a while back and seems washed over now.

I could see James Storm, in that he was the first to be screwed out of a shot, and that would open up a potential Eli Drake-Tim Storm match. But James Storm is not PPV main event level for me. I almost ordered this PPV without a single match signed. Tonight they have the potential to lose my money by signing matches. What a world!

That show last night needed some color in the commentary. Didn't like the silly burial of the Dawson crew, either. Only big hi-light was the Eli Drake promo.
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 1 Week Ago at 05:10 AM.

The Brain
    Ah, and I hear James Storm did get the nod for the title shot. Fair play to those who like them and Aldis may work his magic with the cowboy, but on it's face that's deflating to me.

The Nick Aldis promo on James Storm tonight was full of scathing honesty. Really good stuff. Interesting choice of new man in the booth as well.

The Brain
    Stu Bennett, I heard? He was usually a good promo, hope he does well in the spot!

I'm open to how he will do. For all the fans of Cornette, I didn't see any chemistry with Journalist Joe. JJ couldn't pace properly, and they were stepping on each other. Will be interesting to see how Stu does with the weak link that remains.

The Brain
    Maybe JJ will ask him some rude and invasive questions and get elbowed in the head for his trouble.