Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    In the days where house shows did well, they either weren't treated as second class, or the industry was so hot that everyone wanted to see wrestling whenever they could.

Once you don't have either of those in place it's not a surprise people don't wanna see WWE house shows.

That said, I'm not sure it's the best idea for anyone else to run that many shows. Feels like a gamble.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I'm not talking your typical "house show" though. Right through to Hogan's time, the general model was that the build and all of the "fuck you/fuck you" took place on TV, but you had to pay to see the resolution. And until the PPV business really took off, that "pay to see the resolution" was the weekly/bi-weekly/monthly (depending on where you lived) live show.

That's what I'm talking about. They build angles, and you have to be there live to see the matches. Obviously most things are going to culminate on pay per view, otherwise you're limiting your audience quite a bit, but in a traditional model the main event for this weekend's live show loop would be The Dawsons vs Wildcard for the NWA World Tag Team Championships. Or if you're building to that on PPV you do the Wildcard vs King/Homicide rematch with a "there must be a winner" stipulation.

Use the short nature of TV matches to sell your live event matches. You use that "TV Time Remaining" time limit to have someone like Colt Cabana get within a hair of recapturing the NWA World Heavyweight Championship at the 10 minute mark but time expired, so on this weekend's loop it's Colt vs Aldis with no time limit or with a 60 minute time limit. The bell sounds, the announcers are signing off and Cornette's shouting at the top of his lungs that he just received word that because of the result, this weekend in Athens and Columbus and Augusta, we're going to have the rematch with a 60 minute time limit!

That's using your weekly television product to drive your live events. And it's doing so in such a way that if you didn't see this week's show, you're not confused by what's happening. You're still getting a match that would make sense to see.

As of now, nobody is doing that. Why go to an ROH live event, unless you really want to support the product, if you can watch the exact same thing on TV from the comfort of your home? Why go to the WWE house show if the matches on Raw are just as good and just as long?

Transgender Terror
    That's part of my confusion over people wanting WWE to televise house shows on the network. It's just redundant to a point.

I haven't watched all of NWA Powerrr, but what I have seen, I've enjoyed. I dug Aldis as Magnus in TNA and Kamille is a piece of work.

Also, I think alot of the house shows now are just tune ups to what you see on TV anyway. Working with the same people, doing the same rough finish you'll see on the PPV.

LK, that's why I feel a smaller company is in the best position to change that house show perception. Especially NWA's current setup: since we aren't getting competitive matches on TV, there's a draw to see more action than we catch on Powerrr.

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    That's part of my confusion over people wanting WWE to televise house shows on the network. It's just redundant to a point.
    Yeah, I was like this with that 'last ever The Shield match' show WWE did this year. It was nothing more than a house show with a little cherry on the top, and basically complete fluff. It was pretty much pointless, and even the main event was a soft rehash of the Fastlane main.

Billy Corgan really does have a 20-year plan. I don't know if successes (or lack thereof) will speed it or slow it, but he's definitely working on a patient plan. That used to bother me, but now it's what I like most about the NWA.

Aldis has his own plan, which I think is similar and different. He recently talked about how CM Punk could get half the revenue for a match. He has tried to call out Okada at times. I think he wants the NWA on PPV to be like big-fight boxing. It's easy to scoff at that, but he has stood on the same stage as Marty Scurll and Cody Rhodes and been as good as both. That 20-year plan, in my opinion, keeps them humble and optimistic. I've recently rewatched All In, NWA 70, and Crockett Cup, and I'm wondering who is putting on better, more consistent, big PPV matches than Nick Aldis.

Watching some nwa...best chill time ever...im having fun watching wrestling..how about that?

How old is mama storm? Bet shes got some gray carpet matching some wild gray drapes
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:23 AM.
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

I believe they said shew was in her 90s.

Another stellar NWA show last night. I like that you can tell whomever's putting it together is having fun ("Up Next: Tim Storm (We Promise!!)"), but still managing to keep it mostly serious. The fake commercials which are exactly what old local commercials would be are incredible.

Here's the amazing thing about this week's NWA show: when it was over, I put on WWE Main Event because I was in the mood to watch more wrestling. Usually when a show ends, I need to take a break for a half hour or whatever to let my brain breathe before more wrestling. But after that show I wanted more.

Yeah, I enjoyed it again. Found it made a few more demands of the audience than the first two weeks but nothing to really complain about. Enjoyed set-up promo early, the main event and the end of the show, in particular.

Spoilers from the show mentioned here.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post

Another stellar NWA show last night. I like that you can tell whomever's putting it together is having fun ("Up Next: Tim Storm (We Promise!!)")
    This stood out to me, too. Most promotions I watch begrudge being small and want to pretend they're something else. Each week I count a new way this company is enjoying the process and having fun where they are.

I was hoping Drake was going to betray Storm. Got a lowkey Austin-Bret, 97, potential. But I did like the ugly look from Aldis after, as if this grotesque not-NWA champion had lured a valuable member of the champions' club into a match and not properly looked out for him.

I love it being one hour, too. I always end the show wanting more wrestling, which is something I likely haven't felt for decades now.
    Last edited by Mystic; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Here's the amazing thing about this week's NWA show: when it was over, I put on WWE Main Event because I was in the mood to watch more wrestling. Usually when a show ends, I need to take a break for a half hour or whatever to let my brain breathe before more wrestling. But after that show I wanted more.
    I had a similar experience recently. I tend to marathon or binge watch anything non WWE or AEW right now. Collect 3-4 Impacts or Fusions in a row, and then sit down to watch them all in a day or 2. And it is often because I finish a WWE show, and I'm done. It's not always because the show is bad or put a bad taste in my mouth. That has happened, especially over the last few weeks. But generally it's because WWE main roster shows are draining. 3 hours of Raw is a long time. 4 hour PPVs. Smackdown is only 2 hours, but until a couple of weeks ago, it was the next day after a 3 hour Raw.

NWA makes me want more. NXT used to do the same thing when it was on the WWE Network weekly at 1 hour.

That into the fire stays in the head, doesnt it?
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Played the whole album the other day.

I first "discovered" it when watching Nightmare on Elm Street 3. It was a 10-15 second clip through a radio, but I'll have Into the Fire on all my playlists until I die thanks to that clip.

Power is on tonight. Been looking forward to this for days.

I looked forward to it all week as well, and it did not disappoint. About to post my reaction in the All About All Elite thread, but basically I'm loving how slowly things are developing but how well. I find the most interesting match down the road to be Aldis-Drake, and I'm loving how Drake is stirring every pot he can get his hand into but then stepping back like he's not doing it. I also love how Aldis is on to him but hasn't fully said it. That slow build to whatever it will be has me fascinated. As I told mizfan, it reminds me of season one of a TV show where everyone in the town has their own secrets and you know they will come out but you don't know when, how, why, or where. Already looking forward to next week.

The Brain
    Aldis/Drake definitely feels like something that could be big for them at some point. Hope they stretch it out for a while but they've got to keep interesting people in the mix for Aldis in the meantime. Shane floated the idea to me that they look for an outside challenger for Aldis for the PPV and I think that'd be a smart way to go.

I love this NWA but I hate Ricky Starks.

Sadly, I struggled a bit more with this week - if I'm honest and put my cards on the table. Not really NWA's fault, which is why it's sad. It's not like they were the most egregious examples of faults I've ever seen. But I've had some of those things ruined by other people (mainly the WWE, truth be told) doing them so often that you start to notice the artifice, and it took me out of it in places. This is actually a bit of a longstanding fear - that even if you get someone trying to appeal to me, other people fucking up for so long will mean they don't have the room to move.

Still, I'm trying to stay optimistic. I still got more out of it than most other wrestling shows I've seen in years, but less than I did out of the first couple of weeks.

Can you be more specific of what was bugging you?

I can, though I'm trying not to dwell on it too much so I'll probably be quick about it. And I'm aware that many of these are the sort of things that won't bother other people.

I also don't really want to be negative because I hate when you're trying to be positive about something and people delight in thrusting their negative opinions in your face. But as I've been asked, I will elaborate, but I'm going to say if you don't wanna hear me grumbling then just stop reading now. Frankly, I wouldn't blame anyone who has been enjoying the show from skipping the rest of what I've got to say.
    -------------------------------------------------------

So, from the start you've got a situation where Nick Aldis basically comes out and makes a match for later in the same show. It's better done than I've seen in a lot of places, but it occurred to me this is something I've been critical of WWE doing and it honestly doesn't make a lot of sense. What, did NWA not have a main event lined up? Do Nick Aldis and James Storm just have the power to make matches without anyone else say so? As I say, as an example of the genre this was well done, but I've seen this so many times over the years that the lack of sense behind it really strikes home now.

Kingston/Homicide vs The Dawsons - partly that this style of wrestling has been ruined for me almost entirely, and it is probably that more than anything else. I just mentally tuned out of it, possibly because enough hasn't been done to 'earn' the stipulation when you're only on show 4. Now, in the name of consistency, I suppose I should say that I've also been critical of other promotions for throwing gimmicks at free TV rather than saving them for when they mean something, and once I'd checked out, the criticism that I've levelled at others did cross my mind.

It'll be a super minor point to some, but to me the drums over Thunder Rosa's bit had exactly the same effect as, say, an invisible camera. A shame, because I enjoyed the run-in, but the second they struck up, I was just mentally out of there again.

That's it, really - as I say, hardly the most egregious things in the world but nowadays I've had so much tanked for me that it doesn't take much to shatter the effect - and I think I've only had a real problem with maybe one segment in the first three shows, so to jump to three in one felt quite different.

I'll never judge anyone for something that takes them out of a show like that. Things aren't things I've ever noticed, and I can likely forgive now that I'll notice it every single time (THANKS A LOT, PRIME!!!). But I just watched Dynamite, and had very similar feeling about different things.

To me, taking more time to set up a move than to actually perform the move is awful.
    Playing to the crowd longer than it takes to do the move is awful.
    So Young Bucks and Kenny Omega were awful.

Obviously, different complaints, but same effect on my enjoyment of a wrestling show.

Haha, I did warn you at the start there!

Oh, and I agree with you about the rest. I don't even watch AEW because I know that shit will fuck me off. So I just think, why put yourself through it?

I managed to watch Power the night it came out finally! I enjoyed the hell out of the show yet again.

Ashley Vox is starting to grow on me. But you can really tell who the pro is when she's standing in the ring with Thunder Rosa. I wonder if the weird unmatching piecemeal gear thing was at the behest of NWA to make her look less like a star than the stars that they're trying to push. If so, then it's a smart decision.

I liked the sort of wild west feeling at the end where we had the main event, but the main event ended before TV time was over and the Dawsons came out ready for a fight.

The only thing that I'm really noticing is that I don't know if they were 100% on when their PPV was going to be when they taped the shows. I would expect that with the finish of that last match, we'd have had an announcement for Into the Fire. There's a lot of crisscrossing angles, and a lot of matches that'll make sense to have on the PPV, but I wonder if they had a firm name or date to build toward at the time of taping.

I imagine that'll get sorted moving forward, but I would like to see a little bit more build to something. Like I said before, traditionally these shows are used to build toward that week's live shows and while NWA doesn't appear to have that infrastructure in place right now, I hope that they get it.

I feel that eight+ weeks is a little long to build with this particular format. I don't know what Into the Fire will cost on FITE (though, I'll likely buy it) but I think that they could pretty easily get away with holding a monthly iPPV event there in the $10 range as a bit of a money maker, with quarterly big iPPV shows shot at a venue in the Atlanta area.

That way you have something a little quicker to build to.

That's my only real complaint is that I feel that this particular style of show is better suited to building to a monthly bigger show rather than over a long period of time.

The Brain
    My favorite bit of the show was Aron Stevens. I was rooting hard for him to succeed in TNA but he's a gimmick/character guy, and most of the time he was there they tried to put him over as a no-gimmick guy. He just doesn't have the chops for it. But here you've got so much good stuff, from the crowd interaction to that awful gear to the way he put over Starks in a classic ass-showing heel performance was just perfect.

Really interested in what they're doing with Aldis, at times he comes off as shady but at times he seems like a shining beacon for the company. The best part of it is that it feels very intentional. His pep talk to Tim Storm particularly caught my attention.