Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    It really has been the true alternative to WWE and every other promotion. It's odd how much wrestling has changed since the Attitude Era. A modern show is mostly <5 minute matches is a refreshing change of pace. As much as fans complain about WWE having no focus on the ring work (at least compared to Impact, ROH, and AEW), a promotion like NWA shows that WWE really does focus on in ring action (too much in my opinion). I can't remember every single Power, but other than Anderson vs Drake Street Fight from the last episode, none of the matches have been of the length expected by modern fans. All while telling several separate an unique stories, and pushing multiple characters in the span of a 60 minute show.

NWA isn't breaking new ground in any direction or way, but still is a complete change from everything else out there. The retro feel is a gimmick, but it's not overdone. NXT delivers the best wrestling program overall, for my taste. But the perfect combination would be NWA story telling mixed with NXT in ring presentation, in front of an AEW crowd.

I think what NWA does well in that regard is that it makes PPV shows feel like a big deal. You're going to get matches every week that are entertaining and serve a purpose, but on the PPV events or with the odd match like the Street Fight, you're going to get the payoff in match quality. I know I'm not getting anything better on a WWE PPV than they put on TV every week, save for maybe a big stunt in a top level match, so one of those things just isn't "necessary" to see so long as they'll give me a quick recap of the angles on the PPV.

In 2019/2020, if I want to see "good" or even "great" workrate focused wrestling matches, it's easy. There's Dynamite, NXT, ROH, even Raw and Smackdown usually have one. Give me something I don't get every week.

NWA doesn't feel like it has any "fat" that could be trimmed on a weekly basis. Obviously there are the silly faux commercials, but even those fit in to what would typically be a commercial break because they're formatting the show as though it were on television.

The Brain
    I've drifted a little bit away on this, but I did appreciate the idea of having a show with mostly short matches. I think in practice they may have gone a little too short for my taste, for me between 4 and 10 minutes is an ideal length for most matches but they seemed to go under that a lot. If I see somebody get beat clean in about 5 minutes or less, instinctively I'm going to think that wrestler is a jobber or close to it. Which is great if that's the point, less so if it's someone I need to take seriously next week, and I think they've flirted with that a bit more than I'd like. But it's a tweak rather than a big change, the concept is pretty sound and does stand out as fresh in 2019.

NWA seems to be holding it's audience better than pretty much anyone else now. Obviously a decline after the first couple of weeks but the week 3 edition of Powerrr had 240,000 views, and only one since then has had less than 200,000. Unlike everyone else, the crowd they have are sticking around.

Of course, it's much easier to hold 200,000 than it is to hold a million. That needs to be added. But, in it's own small way this seems to be working.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I bought a brand new beautiful smart TV when they went on sale after Christmas, and with YouTube built right in (the remote has a giant YouTube button on it) it's actually easier for me to watch Power now than any other show given that I don't have cable and have to use other means of watching them, usually through a PC and Chromecast.

I haven't bought a new TV in nearly a decade, will wonders never cease.

Side note: it's also lead to me watching more random wrestling since those YouTube algorithms know I like wrestling. I've seen a bunch of old TNA because they upload full PPV's and random indy shit.

How does nwa compare with mlw?
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

I assume MLW must have other channels that people usually access them from, because on YouTube there's no comparison in the popularity of the two. NWA probably five times higher for the most part.

MLW is on BEinSports. It's a US network available in Canada. Not the most common since most of you have never heard of it, but still out there. In fact, newest rumor is that they've done so well with the network that they are about to expand their reach with another show.

NWA couldnt have been great for AEW. I tried AEW for the Cody/Jericho/Jim Ross and Tony stuff...but didnt like the style...Then, here come NWA and I say shit, I'll just watch this instead
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Crazy how wrestlers have got so much smaller now Ricky Moreton looks big stood next to most of them

Pretty into what the NWA are doing but I'm a couple of episodes behind, need to catch up sometime

Lol, it's certainly come to something if Ricky freakin' Morton is looking like a giant.

Quote Originally Posted by King Kong Sundae View Post
    Crazy how wrestlers have got so much smaller now Ricky Moreton looks big stood next to most of them

Pretty into what the NWA are doing but I'm a couple of episodes behind, need to catch up sometime
    At his height, Ricky Morton would be a heavyweight today if cruiser is 205.

Also. Scott motherfucking Steiner!

To be fair, RM's head is the size of some people's chests/stomach areas.

Really hoping the Scurll rumors are true, and he gets WWE money to sign with roh while also being able to work NWA and NJPW. Aldis-Scurll was my 2019 MOTY, and they got a lot more. Cody couldn't deliver the roh title before All In, but I'd love to one day see a title-for-title match, roh vs. NWA, between Scurll and Aldis. Plus, Aldis is too sophisticated for the babyfaces in the NWA. It's going to take a villain to keep up with him.
    Last edited by Mystic; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:17 AM.

This possible cooperation with ROH concerns me. I think for ROH, it's great. But NWA might take a hit overall.

First, it's tough to discuss, because it's still fresh and new for this incarnation of NWA. And maybe they had a plan in mind the whole time, and the things NWA is getting right won't be changing with ROH's involvement.

But, the one downfall to any talent sharing is that there's usually a single promotion that has more control over a character than another promotion. Take the Villain as an example. It seems like he's contracted to ROH, but allowed to work elsewhere when scheduling permits. So I'm already doubting his potential NWA title chances. He might get the title shot, but I don't see the title changing hands to someone more affiliated with ROH.

Also, I guess NWA will benefit from exposure with ROH. But this feels like it's more to benefit ROH to get back on track. Which, is honestly a good thing because I easily enjoyed ROH more in 2019 than Impact or AEW as my non-WWE option - at least until Powerrr debuted. Other than Raw and NXT, there's been no show I've been more excited for weekly than Powerrr. And I don't want to lose what makes Powerrr special just so ROH can rebuild.

The Brain
    Did I hear right that Scurll is actually taking control of creative in ROH? If that's the case then he may have a free hand to do what he likes between NWA and ROH, which would be quite interesting.

Sounds risky when they seemed to have a decent thing going?

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    I watched a full episode of NWA Powerrr for the first time ever with last week's episode (I think episode #13). I wasn't actively avoiding the show, there's just way too much wrestling and too little time to watch it all.

It was a pretty good show and I enjoyed it a lot. The environment is definitely unique and lively, much more than I expected. The matches were solid, and they have some interesting wrestlers that I had never seen before. The familiar faces were nice to see, too. I have to watch some more to get a better feel of those I have no clue about yet.

The only off-putting thing for me were those weird commercial spots in between matches like the Rock n' Roll Express Hotline bit. I didn't grow up on old NWA or anything so I have no sense of nostalgia about them, and they just felt strange and out of place.

Overall it was a nice change of pace, and at about an hour per show it'll be an easy thing to pick up and watch throughout some of my breaks during the day. I'll keep watching.

The Brain
    I usually skipped over those myself, Deg!

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Sounds risky when they seemed to have a decent thing going?
    Well I don't think Scurll gained any power in NWA, so their direction should remain the same barring any changes from Corgan and Lagana.

As for Ring of Honor, I know they have their defenders but for at least the past year I'd say they haven't really had a good thing going. Their portion of the MSG New Japan show was heavily criticized (though I enjoyed much of it personally), their attendance has reportedly been rock bottom, PR problems such as the Bully Ray and Kelly Klein situations, complaints about Hunter Johnson's creative direction and management of the company, and so on. Seems like taking a risk on a fresh voice could be ideal for them.

Yeah, for what it's worth I only meant NWA (who I still only hear overwhelmingly positive things about, to be honest). As for RoH, linking up with the NWA is probably the first good thing I've seen them do to get positive coverage in at least a year, and maybe longer.

It's so unique and small compared to all the other options, that I believe people who didn't enjoy it just stopped watching. Shows you that when you see negative feedback for any promotion, it's from people who genuinely want to be fans and are disappointed, or trolls who just antagonize. Either way, all that's left are people who enjoy it, and aren't shy to share that opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    The only off-putting thing for me were those weird commercial spots in between matches like the Rock n' Roll Express Hotline bit. I didn't grow up on old NWA or anything so I have no sense of nostalgia about them, and they just felt strange and out of place.
    I get a chuckle out of them, and they've definitely scaled it back. I think that they're filler for what is supposed to be an actual commercial break. On the first run, there would be three or four per episode, now they have their Highspots commercials that's filled one weekly, and they run flag football commercials from time to time. I assume that as they get more advertisers on board, they'll phase those out entirely.

I really enjoyed last night's episode and it provided quite a bit of advancement of things overall. I'll watch Hard Times this week.

Aldis has an ability that few have. While guys might be able to get themselves over with raw athleticism better or be flashier wrestlers, Aldis has the ability that Ric Flair also had to make every opponent he faces look like they might have a legitimate shot against him and get them over, without sacrificing his legitimacy.

It's in the little things. Being willing to break the flow of action (which a lot of guys wouldn't at the risk of losing stars or being "boring") to take a walk after being caught off guard that a guy in his 60's had as much fire as Morton did is an example. Knowing when to sell for Morton, and when to be the younger, stronger, Heavyweight Champion with a million dollar look is another example.

It's knowing when to be selfish and get me over, and when to sell or take a powder and get the other guy over.

The Brain
    That's a very good analysis of what Aldis has become very, very good at in the last few years. I didn't catch the Morton match yet but it's something I'm going to keep my eye out for when I do watch it.

NWA isn't perfect, but it's as close to perfect as a promotion is in 2020. Only thing missing would be weekly matches of a higher quality (which shows us how spoiled we are), wider array of challengers in all divisions (more teams, more women, more main event players...etc.), and more characters to care about. They are doing a tremendous job overall, but I would like to see more of what they do with Aron Stevens and less of what they do with Ricky Starks.