National Wrestling Alliance (NWA)

If there is a thread and I'm missing it, just delete this one.

Otherwise, there is a promotion (not a company, a promotion) that is more compelling with Youtube videos than your favorite wrestling company is with 27 hours of TV per 24 hours of the day.

It is the oldest and the newest. It is the NWA.

Discuss past, present, and future.

Here is one video from a mini-series that should win awards.

The Brain
    Really dig what Corgan and Lagana are doing with the NWA, and I hope they can keep the momentum going past All In. The NWA has such a rich history, it's been too long since it was consistently relevant! The time is now!

I've seen there's a bit of promotion out there for the rematch between Rhodes and Aldis...

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    I'm not opposed to it, but I'm not sure it wows me either. I know some have turned the corner on him thanks to 10 Pounds of Gold, but I've only seen bits and pieces of that, and what I saw at All In was mixed. He held his own, played his part, but I feel there are so many more dynamic challengers for Cody that would only be enhanced with the help of 10 Pounds adding additional context. If Aldis loses, that's expected, and if he wins, it'll be a big disappointment. I may still check out the show depending on what they book though, I did enjoy All In for the most part and clearly there's some spiritual connection between the two.

This is very true. On one hand, Aldis not getting this title shot after the way he has built up the title would probably be seen a bit as a slap in the face, but he could easily be in the mix for the National Title tournament, leaving this particular door open for a new challenger to step forward--Tomohiro Ishii would be my choice--and a possible Aldis rematch down the road. This "mandatory rematch" clause is an albatross that has been hanging over the head of North American promotions for years and should just be done away with.

The Brain
    Absolutely, it's often far better to simply skip over it. If the former champion was good enough, he'll be back in the mix down the line.

I've heard Ishii floated as a challenger and I think it's a great idea. Pentagon should be very high on that list. Janela could be a really compelling challenger. Tons of names come to mind, honestly, and if the NWA devotes 10 Pounds of Gold to building up each one in turn I think each title match has the potential to feel really different and special.

My understanding is that there are two challengers lined up prior to the anniversary show. Willie Mack in Ring of Honor on September 29 at the post-Death Before Dishonor tv tapings and Delirious on the Jericruise. Now that the Aldis match is set, and assuming Cody retains and does not win the United States Title September 30, he should defend against Ishii at Global Wars and ZSJ at Wrestle Kingdom.

The Brain
    Willie Mack is an AWESOME challenger! If anything I think that should be a much bigger deal. Delirious is a guy who probably shouldn't be getting a shot at this point in his career, honestly, but it's on the gimmick cruise so I guess it doesn't feel like a big deal anyway. ZSJ is another awesome contender who should be very high on the list. I hope they push as hard as possible to get the hottest guys from all over the world with the most hype lined up as challengers and then extra-hype them up to the moon one by one.

Aldi's is champ and won it at the asylum of all places.. Overall, a step down IMO... Doesn't mean NWA is counted out...just a real step down...the NWA Title and Cody were good for each other but I'm guessing he wants something more.

The Brain
    Yikes, didn't see that coming. Aldis seems to have improved in some ways but I can't say I have much interest in him as the face of the new NWA. Kind of dampens my spirit. Was the show any good at least? Saw that Sam Shaw of all people made it to the finals of the National title tournament, which also isn't a great sign to me. Didn't check the full results yet but really praying Willie Mack walked out with the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Saw that Sam Shaw of all people made it to the finals of the National title tournament, which also isn't a great sign to me. Didn't check the full results yet but really praying Willie Mack walked out with the belt.
    Prefacing this with the fact that I haven't had an opportunity to watch the show yet.

One of the biggest criticisms that I saw of the event is that the roster is thinner than a lot of big shows. But I don't think that's a problem. They aren't using all the "top indy guys" out there, nor would I want them to. If NWA 70 is just going to be All In Part 2, which is just ROH plus a few guys, what's the point of putting it on?

I, for one, am thrilled to see them use Cody-Aldis II to get people to tune in, while filling the rest of the show with the likes of Sam Shaw -- guys who could be considered "their" guys -- to get them some spotlight, when they could have tried to load the show with the ROH/PWG roster.

The Brain
    Sorry, should have been more specific. Got nothing against them using lesser known talent, I actually think that's cool, though I do hope they mix in bigger indy names as well.

I just don't especially like Sam Shaw and thought the other three guys in his match were better choices. I haven't seen him in a couple years so maybe he'd change my mind now.

I think I'll have to give him a chance. I was so against the angle he was involved in at the time that it'd be a tough ask to get a fair assessment of him. Going to try and come to it with a clean slate.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about Aldis from people who followed his reign closely and as I mentioned before he looked great when I saw him, and could see him being a good fit for the NWA idea. So I'm more cautiously optimistic than anything.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I just don't especially like Sam Shaw and thought the other three guys in his match were better choices. I haven't seen him in a couple years so maybe he'd change my mind now.
    Oh, I'm with you on that. I'll have to watch the match, but the most I remember about Shaw was his terrible tattoos that made his arms look completely blacked out.

And after watching the show, that's all I remember about him, too. I really think they didn't have the matches sorted correctly; to my mind the final should have been Mike Parrow vs. Willie Mack.

The Brain
    Feels like they didn't impress too many people with the latest show. Based on what I've seen, the NWA revival has lost momentum in a big way. Hope they can get it back again, was super excited for a minute there.

I thought it was a good show, but with some questionable booking decisions. I hope they do more on the NWA Youtube channel to build things in future events.