Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    In the days where house shows did well, they either weren't treated as second class, or the industry was so hot that everyone wanted to see wrestling whenever they could.

Once you don't have either of those in place it's not a surprise people don't wanna see WWE house shows.

That said, I'm not sure it's the best idea for anyone else to run that many shows. Feels like a gamble.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I'm not talking your typical "house show" though. Right through to Hogan's time, the general model was that the build and all of the "fuck you/fuck you" took place on TV, but you had to pay to see the resolution. And until the PPV business really took off, that "pay to see the resolution" was the weekly/bi-weekly/monthly (depending on where you lived) live show.

That's what I'm talking about. They build angles, and you have to be there live to see the matches. Obviously most things are going to culminate on pay per view, otherwise you're limiting your audience quite a bit, but in a traditional model the main event for this weekend's live show loop would be The Dawsons vs Wildcard for the NWA World Tag Team Championships. Or if you're building to that on PPV you do the Wildcard vs King/Homicide rematch with a "there must be a winner" stipulation.

Use the short nature of TV matches to sell your live event matches. You use that "TV Time Remaining" time limit to have someone like Colt Cabana get within a hair of recapturing the NWA World Heavyweight Championship at the 10 minute mark but time expired, so on this weekend's loop it's Colt vs Aldis with no time limit or with a 60 minute time limit. The bell sounds, the announcers are signing off and Cornette's shouting at the top of his lungs that he just received word that because of the result, this weekend in Athens and Columbus and Augusta, we're going to have the rematch with a 60 minute time limit!

That's using your weekly television product to drive your live events. And it's doing so in such a way that if you didn't see this week's show, you're not confused by what's happening. You're still getting a match that would make sense to see.

As of now, nobody is doing that. Why go to an ROH live event, unless you really want to support the product, if you can watch the exact same thing on TV from the comfort of your home? Why go to the WWE house show if the matches on Raw are just as good and just as long?

Transgender Terror
    That's part of my confusion over people wanting WWE to televise house shows on the network. It's just redundant to a point.

I haven't watched all of NWA Powerrr, but what I have seen, I've enjoyed. I dug Aldis as Magnus in TNA and Kamille is a piece of work.

Also, I think alot of the house shows now are just tune ups to what you see on TV anyway. Working with the same people, doing the same rough finish you'll see on the PPV.

LK, that's why I feel a smaller company is in the best position to change that house show perception. Especially NWA's current setup: since we aren't getting competitive matches on TV, there's a draw to see more action than we catch on Powerrr.

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    That's part of my confusion over people wanting WWE to televise house shows on the network. It's just redundant to a point.
    Yeah, I was like this with that 'last ever The Shield match' show WWE did this year. It was nothing more than a house show with a little cherry on the top, and basically complete fluff. It was pretty much pointless, and even the main event was a soft rehash of the Fastlane main.

Billy Corgan really does have a 20-year plan. I don't know if successes (or lack thereof) will speed it or slow it, but he's definitely working on a patient plan. That used to bother me, but now it's what I like most about the NWA.

Aldis has his own plan, which I think is similar and different. He recently talked about how CM Punk could get half the revenue for a match. He has tried to call out Okada at times. I think he wants the NWA on PPV to be like big-fight boxing. It's easy to scoff at that, but he has stood on the same stage as Marty Scurll and Cody Rhodes and been as good as both. That 20-year plan, in my opinion, keeps them humble and optimistic. I've recently rewatched All In, NWA 70, and Crockett Cup, and I'm wondering who is putting on better, more consistent, big PPV matches than Nick Aldis.