National Wrestling Alliance (NWA)

If there is a thread and I'm missing it, just delete this one.

Otherwise, there is a promotion (not a company, a promotion) that is more compelling with Youtube videos than your favorite wrestling company is with 27 hours of TV per 24 hours of the day.

It is the oldest and the newest. It is the NWA.

Discuss past, present, and future.

Here is one video from a mini-series that should win awards.

The Brain
    Really dig what Corgan and Lagana are doing with the NWA, and I hope they can keep the momentum going past All In. The NWA has such a rich history, it's been too long since it was consistently relevant! The time is now!

I've seen there's a bit of promotion out there for the rematch between Rhodes and Aldis...

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    I'm not opposed to it, but I'm not sure it wows me either. I know some have turned the corner on him thanks to 10 Pounds of Gold, but I've only seen bits and pieces of that, and what I saw at All In was mixed. He held his own, played his part, but I feel there are so many more dynamic challengers for Cody that would only be enhanced with the help of 10 Pounds adding additional context. If Aldis loses, that's expected, and if he wins, it'll be a big disappointment. I may still check out the show depending on what they book though, I did enjoy All In for the most part and clearly there's some spiritual connection between the two.

This is very true. On one hand, Aldis not getting this title shot after the way he has built up the title would probably be seen a bit as a slap in the face, but he could easily be in the mix for the National Title tournament, leaving this particular door open for a new challenger to step forward--Tomohiro Ishii would be my choice--and a possible Aldis rematch down the road. This "mandatory rematch" clause is an albatross that has been hanging over the head of North American promotions for years and should just be done away with.

The Brain
    Absolutely, it's often far better to simply skip over it. If the former champion was good enough, he'll be back in the mix down the line.

I've heard Ishii floated as a challenger and I think it's a great idea. Pentagon should be very high on that list. Janela could be a really compelling challenger. Tons of names come to mind, honestly, and if the NWA devotes 10 Pounds of Gold to building up each one in turn I think each title match has the potential to feel really different and special.

My understanding is that there are two challengers lined up prior to the anniversary show. Willie Mack in Ring of Honor on September 29 at the post-Death Before Dishonor tv tapings and Delirious on the Jericruise. Now that the Aldis match is set, and assuming Cody retains and does not win the United States Title September 30, he should defend against Ishii at Global Wars and ZSJ at Wrestle Kingdom.

The Brain
    Willie Mack is an AWESOME challenger! If anything I think that should be a much bigger deal. Delirious is a guy who probably shouldn't be getting a shot at this point in his career, honestly, but it's on the gimmick cruise so I guess it doesn't feel like a big deal anyway. ZSJ is another awesome contender who should be very high on the list. I hope they push as hard as possible to get the hottest guys from all over the world with the most hype lined up as challengers and then extra-hype them up to the moon one by one.

Aldi's is champ and won it at the asylum of all places.. Overall, a step down IMO... Doesn't mean NWA is counted out...just a real step down...the NWA Title and Cody were good for each other but I'm guessing he wants something more.

The Brain
    Yikes, didn't see that coming. Aldis seems to have improved in some ways but I can't say I have much interest in him as the face of the new NWA. Kind of dampens my spirit. Was the show any good at least? Saw that Sam Shaw of all people made it to the finals of the National title tournament, which also isn't a great sign to me. Didn't check the full results yet but really praying Willie Mack walked out with the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Saw that Sam Shaw of all people made it to the finals of the National title tournament, which also isn't a great sign to me. Didn't check the full results yet but really praying Willie Mack walked out with the belt.
    Prefacing this with the fact that I haven't had an opportunity to watch the show yet.

One of the biggest criticisms that I saw of the event is that the roster is thinner than a lot of big shows. But I don't think that's a problem. They aren't using all the "top indy guys" out there, nor would I want them to. If NWA 70 is just going to be All In Part 2, which is just ROH plus a few guys, what's the point of putting it on?

I, for one, am thrilled to see them use Cody-Aldis II to get people to tune in, while filling the rest of the show with the likes of Sam Shaw -- guys who could be considered "their" guys -- to get them some spotlight, when they could have tried to load the show with the ROH/PWG roster.

The Brain
    Sorry, should have been more specific. Got nothing against them using lesser known talent, I actually think that's cool, though I do hope they mix in bigger indy names as well.

I just don't especially like Sam Shaw and thought the other three guys in his match were better choices. I haven't seen him in a couple years so maybe he'd change my mind now.

I think I'll have to give him a chance. I was so against the angle he was involved in at the time that it'd be a tough ask to get a fair assessment of him. Going to try and come to it with a clean slate.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about Aldis from people who followed his reign closely and as I mentioned before he looked great when I saw him, and could see him being a good fit for the NWA idea. So I'm more cautiously optimistic than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I just don't especially like Sam Shaw and thought the other three guys in his match were better choices. I haven't seen him in a couple years so maybe he'd change my mind now.
    Oh, I'm with you on that. I'll have to watch the match, but the most I remember about Shaw was his terrible tattoos that made his arms look completely blacked out.

And after watching the show, that's all I remember about him, too. I really think they didn't have the matches sorted correctly; to my mind the final should have been Mike Parrow vs. Willie Mack.

The Brain
    Feels like they didn't impress too many people with the latest show. Based on what I've seen, the NWA revival has lost momentum in a big way. Hope they can get it back again, was super excited for a minute there.

I thought it was a good show, but with some questionable booking decisions. I hope they do more on the NWA Youtube channel to build things in future events.

Props to NWA and RoH for bringing back the Crockett Cup this April. It will be in my home state of North Carolina, and, if I still lived there, I would be front row for it. I actually lost interest in both Cody and NWA when I realized they weren't really working together longterm, but both parties are stepping it up recently.

This news is both exciting and makes me sad, as I know there will never be another time in wrestling (for me) that comes close to what I grew up on (80s-90s). For god sakes, when you have raw talent like Sting and Luger who can win these things, and complete masters like Arn and Tully to put them over. What a time to be a fan. Again, props to NWA, with an assist from RoH, for bringing it back.

The Brain
    Really hoping they go all out to pick up as many top teams as they can for the Crockett Cup. I think potentially it could be great but only if they get the right people involved. Really like the idea of it, interested in the execution.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS. I'M NOT SURE WHAT IS AND ISN'T WITH NWA

SO JUST A WARNING

IN CASE.

I never planned to order another NWA event, but, with the announcement of the NWA title match for Crockett Cup, if I can order this show I will.

Nick Aldis vs. Marty Scurll.

It's in my backyard too. If I were still in North Carolina, I'd attend.

Apparently Nick asked Marty to be his partner in the Crockett Cup, but Marty responded by challenging for the title. It might be overkill, but it could have been pretty could if he had agreed to be his partner in exchange for a title match on the same night.

Alas. Marty is a heavyweight goddammit. NWA says so.

Quote from a former 10 Lbs. of Gold episode: "We don't have to create a promotion. We just have to tell stories based around this legacy."

Proud of all the promotions out there telling great stories.
    Last edited by Mystic; 02-10-2019 at 12:17 PM.

Just ordered Crockett Cup through Fite TV. Even in his tries and losses, Marty Scurrl is a draw to me.

The Brain
    I've been kind of dismissive of the NWA lately but I've got to admit, I'm feeling kind of excited about this show. It's got potential, at the very least!

Going to say some weird things then I'll go away to continue watching footage for the next episode of All About All Elite (which we're recording in 2 hours). I don't know if I will like ANYTHING except the main event of Crockett Cup. I don't know if it will feel too Ring of Honor to me. If they can tell a story, maybe I will LOVE this one night tournament, but:

I woke up this morning thinking about a life decision I have to make that is SO grown up. Yesterday it got so intense that a friend and I were talking about maybe the anxiety we feel about making ANY decision has nothing to do with the decision. Maybe we're old enough now that every choice is a hint that we are going to die, that this decision could be the one that locks us in to one place, one position, one group of people, one way of being, for the rest of our lives. I woke up this morning with the weight of my world on my shoulders in ways I won't bore you with but in ways that I don't have enough shoulders for the diversity of weights on them.

And then I was watching this video for the show today:

And it's not raining here, but for one second, listening to Marty, I had an overwhelming felt sense that it was raining here. I also had a felt sense that my younger brother was here, that we were children, and we were waiting for a WCW PPV that we had sacrificed whatever we had to sacrifice to get our parents to order.

For one second, I was a kid, right in the midst of life decisions that make me feel closer to death than ever being a child again.

Then I sat back and said, "I am in the morning of a day where I am waiting on an NWA PPV to start."

Waiting on an NWA PPV to start.

It is not a joke to say that I've lived long enough to watch every culture and fandom I have pass me by. JRPGs got so visually-focused that they lost me a long time ago. Pro wrestling mostly died to me twenty years ago. Rap music will never again be for me what it was with New York rappers in the 90s.

And I will never be who I used to be.

But, you know what?

I'm living in a day where I am waiting on an NWA PPV to start.

And if that can happen in my life in 2019?

Who the hell knows what else might be possible.

The Brain
    That's quite a trip, isn't it?

Preview for tonight!

Nick Aldis (c) vs. Marty Scurll Singles match for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship
    -Much has been said about this one. Talking it over on the show today really helped me see it in the best light. Really interested to see how good this one can be, even if the outcome feels assured.

Willie Mack (c) vs. Colt Cabana Singles match for the NWA National Championship
    -We didn't really talk about this one at all but I'm excited for it. I'm a big fan of Mack and Colt is an indy staple, I think they'll have a really fun match.

Allysin Kay vs. Santana Garrett Singles match for the vacant NWA Women's Championship
    -No matter how many times I see Santana, I still find her kind of average. She keeps getting booked though, so maybe I'll see something. I do like Allysin a fair bit, so I'm optimistic of rhtis one as well.

Wild Card Tag Team Battle Royal Battle Royal for the 8th and final berth in the Crockett Cup tournament.
    -So far the only team I recognize this is from The Boys. Not sure who I want to root for here, but hopefully I can see someone else I recognize (there's no shortage of top notch teams to book on the cheap) and get excited for.

The Briscoe Brothers (Jay Briscoe and Mark Briscoe) vs. The Rock 'n' Roll Express (Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson) Crockett Cup first round tag team match
    -Two legendary teams in their way. The Briscoes have a legacy in ROH and may get favored because of it, but honestly their act doesn't excite me as much as it used to. RnR are there for nostalgia purposes to some extent, but I did hear they actually had a very fun match with the Lucha Bros over Wrestlemania weekend, so who knows?

Villain Enterprises (Brody King and PCO) vs. Satoshi Kojima and Yuji Nagata Crockett Cup first round tag team match
    -Brody & PCO are the team I would most like to see win this thing, love both of them. Kojima and Nagata are both old timers from New Japan but Nagata, at least, is still extremely awesome, so could be lots of fun here.

Flip Gordon and Bandido vs. Guerrero Maya Jr. and Stuka Jr. Crockett Cup first round tag team match
    -Poor Bandido. I just can't get into Flip so I can't root for the team. Maya and Stuka are up from CMLL and I actually really like both, so I really hope they get the win here.

The War Kings (Crimson and Jax Dane) vs. Wild Card Battle Royal winners
    -Can't say I'm a fan of Crimson, and I don't really know Dane. This one is a question mark to me but off the top of my head I don't know if I'm too excited.

Overall the card looks very interesting, so I'll be checking it out!

We can debate if NWA is camera ready, but I'm not sure they are talent ready.

Did I really just watch Bram and some no name beat Bandido and Flip Gordon? Lame.

They've been pushing those dudes all night long. Pretty sure Madusa was fucked up, and the women's replacement title looked worse than what they gave Luger when Flair took off.

I paid my money to support Marty Scurll, but it would have been better for NWA that I not yet see them than see them before they are ready to be seen.

Main event was a MOTY candidate for me.

They carried themselves like champions. Smart. Purposeful. Damn near a holy affair between unholy men.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Crockett Cup was a pretty good show, and I'd agree with your assessment of the main event. The women's match wasn't my favourite, though.
    I can go with pretty good show. It ticked up a notch for me when the winners were revealed. Thinking for most of the night that I was watching a Crockett Cup (with the wonderful past winners) to see Madusa's team win had put me in a very bad space concerning the show. Mizfan and I will be talking about it on our show this coming weekend, so I need to think about it more, but it definitely ticked up with the winners. And again, the main event was NWA class to me. It not only felt like a top shelf title match, but I'm already looking forward to watching it again.

There was a part of me really hoping to get Rock & Roll vs Flip and Bandito, but I knew that reasonably wasn't going to happen.

I enjoy watching these big NWA shows, but my problem is that they don't have a TV show to advance angles, so you get a little bit too much of it on these shows. I wonder if a slight change to 10 Pounds of Gold could accomplish that goal.

Specifically, I could have done without a five minute James Storm promo. Just having him come out and either shake Colt's hand or superkick him while the commentators give a bit of a rundown of where he's at in a concise way, with the follow up promo happening on the YouTube show might have worked. That way you have your next match set for those who don't watch the show, and the promo and full reasoning for those who do.

I just found that segment ground the show to a halt. Especially on a show with Medusa's abortion of a promo and a Nikita/Magnum interview.

I would have rather seen the match you suggest. RnR could still get around, so that would have been better for me. I wasn't too invested in watching them bleed at that age. There's a weird line between nostalgia and making me sad, and I fear the NWA did the latter a few times with the older acts.

You may get what you're asking for with more coverage. Was just listening to a Billy Corgan interview post Crockett Cup. He was talking wanting to move to episodic TV soon, whether that be on Honor Club or YouTube.

He also said he thinks the AEW/Tony Khan economy might be a false economy, so he's not necessarily willing to put in that kind of money for folks WWE releases and so forth. Said AEW might prove otherwise, but until then, he views the kind of spending going on right now as a false economy.

I don't think he needs to spend like Tony Khan, but I do think he needs to do more to stand out and be a compelling brand. Beyond good or bad matches or moments, I'm not sure how much of the show had me saying, "I've got to see more of [this person or angle] no matter where it goes next."

Wrestling is booming, and there are a lot of options. It's not about how you draw me to one show. It's about how you keep me from show to show and make me want to associate with you and your brand as much or more as all the brands around you.

That's a hell of a mountain for every company to climb right now. It's becoming a viewer's market.
    Last edited by Mystic; 04-30-2019 at 07:49 PM.

So I haven't seen the whole show or anything, but given that I'd heard a bit of buzz I made a point of finally checking out the 10lbs of gold show leading to the Scurll vs Aldis match, and then I was able to source the match itself.

Got a lot out of it, not going to lie. Presentation right up my street. Loved the video especially, and really liked the match for the most part, too.

There you go, a positive post about wrestling in 2019 from me. Wonders never cease.