Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    They've set up the main event for the first studio show. They seem to at least understand that something of value should be on the line from eveyone involved.

https://lordsofpain.net/tim-storm-re...on-nick-aldis/

Riveting story. I like it.
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

The Brain
    I really only know Tim Storm by reputation but I liked the idea of an older guy, a kind of never was, getting one last shot at his own corner of glory. I think it's a great chance to showcase the legwork they've already done with this guy in 10 Pounds of Gold too. Has Aldis/Drake happened yet? Gotta figure that's their biggest possible match right now, curious when they'll deliver it.

I don't think they've had Drake up yet. By framing Storm as sort of the catalyst, if not father, of this current story-driven era of NWA, it could be really nice to pay tribute and to move past him both in the inaugural episode of the studio NWA era.

The Brain
    Thought you meant James Storm for a moment... not overly thrilled that he's on board but I suppose he serves some purpose. Personally I'm more interested in Tim Storm as an unknown though.

Looks like kingston's in the NWA, Mizfan. Big opportunity for him to shine in that studio environment.

Big opportunity for the NWA to have another great personality
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

The Brain
    Holy crap, that's a great signing! My interest in NWA just went from solid to skyrocketing.

I haven't had time to watch the video yet (though I can't wait to) but I got the impression he hinted he wasn't coming alone.

Not sure though if that's accurate. Just saw some comments where people were hoping certain people might be coming in, through association.

Or maybe I'm making this all up. Honestly don't know.

Either way, good for the NWA.
    Last edited by Mystic; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:28 PM.

That's a great signing, both because Eddie Kingston is great and because Eddie Kingston is the only thing that's had me remotely interested in the NWA after that terrible tag tournament show they had earlier this year.

The Brain
    He definitely said he wasn't coming alone... really curious who that might be. Homicide is a likely option, they've been associated on and off for years now, and that'd be a solid choice. More recently he's also been working with David Starr, which would be an amazing get for the NWA, even on a temporary basis. Whoever it is, I'm really excited to see. The more they let Kingston speak, the more interested I'll be!

EDIT: Terrible is way, way too strong for me there, Cult! I had some complaints, to be sure, but I thought there was a lot of good on that show too. Scurll/Magnus, Mack/Cabana, and pretty much everything with PCO and Brody King was a hit for me!
    Last edited by mizfan; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:14 AM.

Crockett Cup left me with mixed feelings. Doc was there live and loved it. I thought Aldis/Scurll was a match of the year candidate, and I liked the winners of the tournament. It was a lack of talent that was the issue (which makes a 1-hour studio probably more fitting). For instance, one bracket of the tournament simply sucked. If Aldis and Scurll had teamed up and won a bracket, they might have had something. But it's lack of talent, a slow burn, and a twenty year plan that makes it comes out half cooked right now.

I'm looking forward to watching the most recent video. If folks leave the office before I do, I will check it out.

The Brain
    Oh for sure, the Royce Isaacs/Tom Latimer bracket mostly sucked, no doubt.

A pretty good promo from James Storm. I would keep on letting him feel pushed out of the main picture. They have talked about being rough around the edges and I love the WWF 1997 feeling that no matter who is the champion and who is the chosen challenger, there are always a few sharks circling regardless.

The Brain
    I struggle to invest in James Storm in 2019, but I would have said the same thing about Aldis this time last year. I'll have to give this a watch when I get the chance!

I always found Storm to be impressive, especially at first glance. What he can maintain has always been the issue to me. It's partly not about the athletes and it partly is. Better they are the better it *could* be but not necessarily. How they plug them in is just as important. I'd like to see some folks misbehaving since this is the NWA's biggest moment in a long time. I'd also like to see how a buttoned-down, prefers a controlled environment, Nick Aldis handles it. I may watch one week and not watch again, but at this moment, it's the only show I'm even checking out in October. AEW has completely lost me in my absence, and they will only get me back if they prove they are watchable in my absence. I'm used to no pro wrestling in my life, though, so we shall see how it goes for all the many promotions experiencing change (almost all of them). Exciting times, regardless.

I recently downloaded all the 2002 TNA weekly PPVs, and am slowly going through them. James Storm and Chris Harris were pushed from day one, but I had totally forgotten how they were essentially a kayfabe thrown together team, with Harris hating working with Storm with his extreme redneck side, feeling it was cheesy and silly. It's kind of funny, especially seeing Storm nearly 20 years later as a singles star, the Cowboy gimmick, and a prime guy in NWA.

The Brain
    I gradually turned against Storm in that period of watching Impact from 2013 to 2017... I saw a lot of rambling, barking promos that didn't go anywhere, and a lot of angles and matches he seemed to phone in quite blatantly. Perhaps it was the environment or the booking, so I'll give him a chance to recapture me!

Pen, I'm going through those same shows! The thrown together gimmick is quickly abandoned but it is a fun origin story while it lasts. AMW was definitely a highlight of those early days in my eyes. I'm always struck by how much Storm has changed visually in that time, I know 17 years is a long time but it's sometimes hard for me to see how it's the same guy between the body type and the beard.

Miz, did you watch TNA live at the time in 2002? I am enjoying it much more on these replays than I remember when I watched back in the day.

The Brain
    Nah, I didn't even get into WWE until 2003 and TNA was only a distant blip on my radar for many years, so a lot of it's new to me. Some of it actually is quite fun, though there's some pretty glaring crap in there as well. Thankful to have progressed beyond the Dupp Cup.

Bruce as Miss TNA?

The Brain
    Yeah, the whole Bruce "evil gay crossdresser" gimmick is pretty awful. It lived a lot longer than other bad gimmicks too, like the murdering masturbating midget or the guys dressed like genitals.

Looks like the new NWA show will be on social media and youtube. Not as exciting as it could have been, but I also believe it's wise to start small, and grow. Especially with the current landscape. ROH, MLW, and Impact are already going to struggle as it is, and adding NWA into that same market of pre-taped studio shows won't be easy.

The Brain
    Youtube works for me, since I cut the cord with cable at this rate it'll be easier for me to check this show out than Dynamite!

I work 2nd shift. I'll take an internet show over a cable show any day.

Also, no commercials
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:57 PM.

I will be watching their YouTube at 6:05 on Tuesday night. I don't know if they will keep me, but they've got me on night one as a viewer with nothing but goodwill.

Also, yes to this:

Last edited by Mystic; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:32 PM.

One of the great characters in any story is the setting. Within the word setting, set. The set unveiled in the early minutes of this video makes me want to cry.

Cant wait for it. Love the logo. Love the setting

I enjoyed it. Good promos throughout: James Storm, the Dawsons, others.

Good main event. The Nick Aldis I need, however, is the one who delivered the final line of the night.

Only wrestling I have watched since June, but decided to watch again next week and am now watching some Mid-Atlantic from 1982.

Says it all, I guess.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

In the commercial break before the James Storm VS Josephus match, was that the real "it's still real to me" guy?

And was the ref for that match to classic LOP black ref?

Tim Storm looks like a character from Ren and Stimpy.

I really enjoyed the show.

The matches were short and really fun, the promos were especially good and the crowd was super into it which certainly gave a great atmosphere. I also loved the spontaneity of the studio setting, to me that was the x-factor.

I'll say this too, there are very few better wrestlers they could have got than Aldis to be their champion. The way he carries himself is perfect for what they are going for, he really gets it done well in the ring and he consistently surprises me with how good his promos are. I wonder who, if anyone they are planning to build up to be his next big rival.

I'll defs be watching again next week.

I never watched 80s NWA, how does this match up?

In terms of the presentation it probably matches up pretty well with the Mid-Atlantic/Crockett Promotions stuff that is it's main inspiration.

Worth remembering that if you watch their shows in the 1980s, you might see Flair, Arn, Tully, Magnum TA, Dusty, The Rock N'Roll, The Midnights.... so there's a talent deficit for the new show. I'm not sure that kind of talent in that quantity even exists now (unless you're looking at it purely from an athletic standpoint, which I don't), and even if they did exist the odds are most would be working for some of the bigger fish.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

It was significantly better than the Crockett Cup show from a few months ago. I thought Eli Drake vs. Caleb Konley was a strong match, Storm vs. Aldis told a good story and all the promos were really well done, especially from Aldis, Storm and Eddie Kingston (who is a superstar waiting to happen if NWA wants to get behind him). Being an hour long I think really helped this show too; it was quick, to the point and was easy to watch. I don't know if I'll watch it every week and I've chuckled several times at people acting like "this is real wrestling!" but it was a strong show and it definitely has its place.

Powerrrrrrrrrrrrr is exactly the wrestling I want. They stripped out all the "pro wrestling should just be fun, man" indyriffic stuff that makes me want to tear my hair out, and just presented a pro wrestling show. The in-ring wrestling was still quite modern, and the promos were good (though I'm excited to see later ones because on his podcast Cornette pointed out that most were good). I really hope they keep any bad ones in.

Now, I'm not sure how they'll translate a YouTube show into sold out buildings and FITE buys for big shows, but damn did I like that show. I will probably be a weekly viewer.

And an hour! An hour! I could watch it over my lunch break if I wanted. I could watch it while dinner is cooking. I could watch it without having to do a day of pre-planning.

I really enjoyed it. Its not over produced, getting over the characters with promos and short matches. I think being a youtube show helps for the social media age instead of being on a shit channel people have to look for. This isn’t going to be epic wrestling matches and that’s perfect cause you’re not gonna draw that demo when other promotions do that better but i think they can grow the brand with real characters better than most.

There’s also no stench on it like impact

Yeah,and with the way they had multiple ad breaks promoting feuds or when back in ATL they can really build to thei big shows effectively. I wasnt really into the NWA brand when it just felt like ROH was doing them a favor and now itfeels like NWA can hit some growth away from ROH

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    I've chuckled several times at people acting like "this is real wrestling!"
    Well, it is. Obviously the people saying this are classic, or old school fans, and no promotion relates to that audience better than what we saw on Powerr. If these people feel WWE is a male soap opera/Sports entertainment, and AEW is spotty gymnast performances, then NWA is closer to "wrassling"

There is no such thing as one true form of "real wrestling." There's endless amounts of styles out there and you can have your favorite, but if you're going to go around acting like one thing is the true form of wrestling and the rest is meaningless drivel then I'm not going to take you seriously. Would you guys take me seriously if I went around saying lucha libre is the only style that matters? It's my favorite and I love it to death, but I'm not going to go around doing it and I'm not going to not check out other styles just because they aren't lucha (like I said, I watched this NWA show and I really liked it). That's why I chuckled. It's not a widespread thing, but I've seen plenty of people acting like this is going to save wrestling. As if the other styles of wrestling were killing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    There is no such thing as one true form of "real wrestling." There's endless amounts of styles out there and you can have your favorite, but if you're going to go around acting like one thing is the true form of wrestling and the rest is meaningless drivel then I'm not going to take you seriously. Would you guys take me seriously if I went around saying lucha libre is the only style that matters? It's my favorite and I love it to death, but I'm not going to go around doing it and I'm not going to not check out other styles just because they aren't lucha (like I said, I watched this NWA show and I really liked it). That's why I chuckled. It's not a widespread thing, but I've seen plenty of people acting like this is going to save wrestling. As if the other styles of wrestling were killing it.
    There are plenty of people who do believe that, though. You give all types of wrestling a chance, but there are a LOT of fans of pro wrestling who have become alienated by what wrestling has become over the past 20+ years and the "pro wrestling should just be fun, man" indy stuff that has somewhat overtaken the industry.

Most of those people don't care about being "taken seriously" as wrestling fans. They don't even really care about talking wrestling. They just want the type of wrestling that they miss.

I try to sell indy wrestling every single day of my life. And every single day I hear from people who talk about how much they loved wrestling and how they used to watch it all the time, or they used to go to the matches ever week, "back when wrestling was good".

These aren't people that want to be taken seriously or give everything a chance. They're people that want to be given a serious product that doesn't have hokey stuff.